As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I've never done a Sugar Shack dinner

Someday I'll have to, even though it will definitely shave a few years off my life

One piece of advice, reserve way in advance

Like early February

The good ones fill up fast and the bigger, more commercial and touristy it is, the worse it is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    I've never done a Sugar Shack dinner

Someday I'll have to, even though it will definitely shave a few years off my life

One piece of advice, reserve way in advance

Like early February

The good ones fill up fast and the bigger, more commercial and touristy it is, the worse it is.

Great advice.

*looks online for reserving a meal for 3*

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My friend's wedding was at a sugar shack, and they made the food for us all to have banquet style.
    It was exceptionally good.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Is there a specific set of meals that a real traditional Shack will serve or is it just general French Canadian cuisine with a heavy focus on delicious food that'll kill you sooner than later?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    That's just it. When people ask me what is the identity of Canadian cuisine (let alone French-Canadian), the only thing that pops up in my head are BeaverTails and poutine. Kraft Dinner maybe? But that's easily lumped in as "American" fare.

Atlantic Canada maybe has a bigger identity due to seafood, but almost anything else I can think of that I would classify as remotely Canadian would include some kind of maple or sugar.

• Options
    My friend says it's pea soup + sausages + eggs + mashed potatoes + tortiere + baked beans, all covered in maple syrup, and dessert is pancakes + sugar pie/pudding au chomeur, but every sucrerie does things a little bit different.

You also go to see how the maple syrup is made, ride a carriage around the grounds, dance, play spoons, and of course do a tire-a-neige.

• Options
    +pork rinds

Yeah the taffy on snow is the main attraction, really.

sig.gif
  • Options
    God, I love pudding au chomeur so much

And maple taffy rules, it's one of the best parts of winter, easily

Steam
  • Options
    (It’s pouding chômeur)

(Pouding au chômeur would imply it’s made of unemployed people)

sig.gif
  • Options
    You don't know what I like

• Options
    Ahahahahah, I typed it out that way, but then Psykoma didn't, and I was like hmmmm, she DOES live in Quebec...

Anyway, the poor taste delicious

Steam
  • Options
    I'm just a generally bad influence

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    What are PJ Katie and PJ Fresh Phil and the rest of the YTV gang up to these days?

https://youtu.be/YV87Uj2pixQ

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I'm just a generally bad influence

I'm simultaneously too innocent for this world.

*cough* boba *cough*

Psykoma on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    My favourite story of bungled French was when I was on exchange in Quebec (Katimavik), and the local grocery had this really cute cashier who was really good at dying her hair in lots of vibrant colours.

One day, I worked up my courage and said, “J’aime ton cheval”

She looked me weird, and for a brief second I realized my mistake.

“je m'excuse, j’aime tes cheveux”

And then I paid for y stuff and fled the store....

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i too wish to fuck your horse

• Options
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

This is insane

There should at minimum be a requirement for baseline support percentages, unique donors, registered voters, or some bar to be passed for this policy to trigger

Otherwise you could just draft up a troll party and make it so all topics are partisan by having public stances on them, which I mean, I guess Bernier is doing here anyhow

How do they even decide what to pursue? Is there a non-partisan board or something?

Steam
  • Options
    My sister in law is a scientist in a climate-related field and she’s losing her mind over this. It’s BAD.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I hope any scientific paper, charity org, etc. that does jump through those hoops during the campaign also add an aside to tell Bernier to fuck all the way off, considering they’re gonna be considered officially partisan anyway.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I believe this is a psyop by right-wing media in order to spread FUD about climate change activism.

Why? There's no mention of this on Environmental Defense's website, and I haven't found anything (yet) about this on Elections Canada's website.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Well if it’s that, it’s working. Been reported in La Presse and on CBC.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Damn.

Who wants to separate from Canada?

• Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    Damn.

Ironically, a large part of Maxime Bernier’s electorate.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Damn.

The guy has an electorate?

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I was reading rhis thread and it occurred to me that Canada must have a northern limit, right? Like... surely people don't live all the way up in the middle northern coast of Canada?

And then I thought, surely Canada has a northernmost road, right?

If someone wanted to take that, then head north, what would stop them?

How many mountain men are somehow eking out a living in the frozen north?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah but the northernmost settlement is pretty northern.

Like, if someone wants to go live in the tundra or deep in the boreal forest they could do it

But like, they'd probably die

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I was reading rhis thread and it occurred to me that Canada must have a northern limit, right? Like... surely people don't live all the way up in the middle northern coast of Canada?

And then I thought, surely Canada has a northernmost road, right?

If someone wanted to take that, then head north, what would stop them?

How many mountain men are somehow eking out a living in the frozen north?

Some people claim our northernmost northeriness ends at the North Pole, but some people dispute this. People like the not-Canadian members of the UN. But they're not Canadians, so they don't count in this thread.

We definitely own Magnetic North, though.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Oh and the idea of “roads” gets pretty theoretical at best up there. Past a certain point communities are largely only accessible by plane, and snowmobiles are the vehicle of choice within the communities

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Or to look at your question a different way, your far northern survivors absolutely are there, there’s a lot of them, and they’ve been doing it a lot longer than Canada has been a country

• Options
    Air Inuit serves bannock on its flights. It's quite good

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Like, if someone wants to go live in the tundra or deep in the boreal forest they could do it

By the way, for a fun exercise, look at the monthly average highs, and the historical highs. Then look at this year's high temperatures.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

By the way, for a fun exercise, look at the monthly average highs, and the historical highs. Then look at this year's high temperatures.

that doesn't sound fun at all

• Options
    Damn.

The guy has an electorate?

Racist Québécois love him.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Meanwhile:

doug ford could you please stop existing

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    still don't understand how he was elected
    what the fuck ontario

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    It is completely baffling to me that Doug Ford could get elected in fucking anything.

The dude should be political poison for a fucking neighborhood watch let alone a province

• Options
    edited August 2019
    two things happened:

the liberal party managed to hold on to power in Ontario for 15 consecutive years, and people forgot just how shitty the conservatives were
    liberal premiere kathleen wynne, by the end of her tenure, was deeply unpopular, partly because she inherited a long list of complaints about scandals that happened under liberal leadership, and also because she is a gay woman

meanwhile ontario convervative party leader patrick brown, who lacked all charisma but at least was a known evil, got accused of sexual assault and resigned slightly before the election (he would go on to run for and win a last-minute election bid to become mayor of Brampton, despite not having any connection with the city)
    doug ford announced he was going to run for conservative party leader and immediately won despite not having any published policy agenda
    and then by the time the election happened, ontario's vote split:

40% went to the conservatives
    33% went to the NDP
    19% went to the liberals
    04% went to the greens

thanks to FPTP, doug ford ended up with a super majority, and immediately started passing nonsensical legislation that has gutted public infrastructure, healthcare, education, transit, social security and legal representation, and also cratering his own approval rating as soon as he passed his first budget

in short, we managed to use a whole bunch of circumstances to fuck ourselves over in the worst way possible

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Canadian voting usually is less about voting someone in than voting someone out as well

Ford barely had a public set of policies he was campaigning on, and he didn't need it, because all anyone cared about was voting Wynne out, and now whoops guess no one can afford university or to get your Autistic kids care

It is pretty impressive that he managed to tank his approval ratings in under a year to be below Wynne's own for her final year, though

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I feel like there's a bit of a legacy there from Rob Ford's tenure as mayor. Like, the same people who thought it was funny and great to have Rob Ford put Toronto on the global map thanks to his drug videos and scandals thought "Wouldn't it be great if Doug Ford did the same? For a whole province?"

El Fantastico on