Options

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @That_Guy how does it sync the color changing, that's awesome!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That's a beast of a system That_Guy. Congrats.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    The very real next standard is going to be 4K60 with really granular HDR local dimming. Right now we're in the middle of another LED/PLASMA/720/1080/BLURAY/HD-DVD clusterfuck where all these competing standards and tech are fighting it out. I don't think 8k becomes the norm in this, but I can definitely see 4k doing so.

I'd say in another few years the HDR local dimming matrix will be small enough and have good enough response that it will be worth getting, and in the next 5 it'll be a defacto standard.

OLEDs are taking over from backlit LED panels, "local dimming" won't mean a damned thing anymore because every single pixel is its own backlight.

OLEDS still need to solve the burn-in issue. They are fine in mobile devices where the screen isn't expected to be on for more than a few minutes at a time. In large format displays like monitors and TVs you run a serious risk of burn-in of static screen elements. I saw an OLED TV that was set playing news 24/7 and after a while a distinct burn-in pattern could be seen.
    real-burn-in-week-40-tv-3-red-large.jpg

My OLED TV is fine after a year and I play a lot of games on it with static huds and such. Just don't leave it on when you're not using it and run the screen wipe program on the TV every so often. It definitely can burn in like an old plasma, but it's super easy to avoid if you aren't using your TV 24/7.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Hm. Acer actually has a 1440@144 VA. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DR5PG8S/

The 27 is actually more expensive than the 32. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZ4P5KB/

Samsung has one too for 27... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R82333S/

AOC (?) has a 32" for around the same price. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKM16DT/

It blows my mind that the bigger Acer is cheaper.

I'm hearing 1440s on 32" are a bit iffy because of the pixel density? I don't notice it on my 1080p Vizio, though, so...

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Not quite as good since I'm still on the ol' 1080 Ti but...

Time Spy

Fire Strike Extreme

Beats the shit out of my old 3570!

Orca on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    That_Guy how does it sync the color changing, that's awesome!

My fans came with and RGB controller hub. I wired the fans up from back to front in slots 1-6 on the hub. That is one of the dozen or so patterns it has.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhcS2DM8ET4

Ok, that's kinda cool. Not a huge fan of RGB, but having healthbars off the bottom of my screen is neato.

Edit: OK. I think I've finally got it narrowed down.

The LG 27GL850 is coming, and apparently is some sorta fancy "Nano-IPS" which is supposed to be pretty hot stuff. It's still not available, but apparently went up briefly for preorder for $500. Doesn't support HDR, but it hits all the other sweet spots. (It says GSinc, but it supports FreeSync.)

Edit: Apparently the 27GL850 came out, sold out, and we're now just waiting on the next batch?

LTT loves it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6JxuEQhU18

The MSI Optix MAG271CQR has RGB, but nobody's perfect. It's a 27" VA, 1440p@144 and the standard feature set -- usb hub, that fancy "get rid of blue light" trick everyone loves, etc.

There's one last option: The Samsung C27HG70 (C27HG70QQN). Apparently this is the same VA panel as the MSI MAG271, except that it supports something called HDR (which apparently is nifty) and has "quantum dots" which apparently are neato. But it's $120 more than the MSI option.

There's like two dozen threads on reddit comparing the MSI and Samsung, heh.

Edit: Hey, MSI has a 100Hz Ultrawide too in that general price range: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Non-Glare-UltraWide-21-Resolution/dp/B07G5FCR6X

KiTA on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, baby. COME GET SOME!

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38586045?

I'm a little surprised at my processor score compared to yours.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38597840

A duck! on
  • Options
    A duck! wrote: »

Me too. I don't have any of the settings dialed in yet and it's possible the CPU score is weighted more for single core. IDK, I'll have to do some more tweaking to see if I can get those numbers up.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The very real next standard is going to be 4K60 with really granular HDR local dimming. Right now we're in the middle of another LED/PLASMA/720/1080/BLURAY/HD-DVD clusterfuck where all these competing standards and tech are fighting it out. I don't think 8k becomes the norm in this, but I can definitely see 4k doing so.

I'd say in another few years the HDR local dimming matrix will be small enough and have good enough response that it will be worth getting, and in the next 5 it'll be a defacto standard.

OLEDs are taking over from backlit LED panels, "local dimming" won't mean a damned thing anymore because every single pixel is its own backlight.

OLEDS still need to solve the burn-in issue. They are fine in mobile devices where the screen isn't expected to be on for more than a few minutes at a time. In large format displays like monitors and TVs you run a serious risk of burn-in of static screen elements. I saw an OLED TV that was set playing news 24/7 and after a while a distinct burn-in pattern could be seen.

The test that image is from was linked in this very thread earlier. That image is from the panel that's been playing CNN at maximum brightness for something like 9000 hours.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Me too. I don't have any of the settings dialed in yet and it's possible the CPU score is weighted more for single core. IDK, I'll have to do some more tweaking to see if I can get those numbers up.

Which 2080 Super from EVGA did you get?

My baseline benchmark numbers were for 3900x and EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER XC ULTRA GAMING
    TimeSpy 11687 (11885 Graphics/ 10679 CPU)
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38049628?

So almost exactly same score but my CPU is higher and your Graphics is higher.

I should run some more 3dMark benchmarks to see how max tuning my memory speeds affected things before I work on tweaking my 2080 Super's performance.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah it’s a little misleading lol, the image is from the rtings stress tests.

They also had some of the mitigation functions disabled. The burn-in isn’t bad at all if you read the article.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

The test that image is from was linked in this very thread earlier. That image is from the panel that's been playing CNN at maximum brightness for something like 9000 hours.

Yeah, but you'll start getting UI burn in faster than that. Especially the Windows start button, which is bright white.

I don't want a screen I have to be careful/delicate with, I just want one that works without me having to think about it past initial setup. Once OLED gets to that point, I will welcome those gorgeous blacks and amazing contrast with open arms. Until then, I'm not paying over a thousand for a piece of tech I have to babysit.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a decent budget external DVD drive? Primary usage would be backing up movies that I own. Don't really have the space to do an internal drive.

Though I have my old drive still can I just get an e-sata cable and plug that in without an enclosure?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »

Which 2080 Super from EVGA did you get?

My baseline benchmark numbers were for 3900x and EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER XC ULTRA GAMING
    TimeSpy 11687 (11885 Graphics/ 10679 CPU)
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38049628?

So almost exactly same score but my CPU is higher and your Graphics is higher.

I should run some more 3dMark benchmarks to see how max tuning my memory speeds affected things before I work on tweaking my 2080 Super's performance.

It's the liquid cooled EVGA card. I let it do an automatic overclocking pass before running the tests witch brought the base clock up toe ~2050mhz. What RAM are you running?

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    mts wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent budget external DVD drive? Primary usage would be backing up movies that I own. Don't really have the space to do an internal drive.

Though I have my old drive still can I just get an e-sata cable and plug that in without an enclosure?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C2AMKR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one a couple of years ago and it works great.

EDIT: Looks like the black version is $4 cheaper.

Ear3nd1l on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @mts you can use something like this too

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011M8YACM/

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Oh yeah, here's the desktop/monitors and KB.

uiy7kickcj84.png

Been on something of a purple kick lately.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, here's the desktop/monitors and KB.

uiy7kickcj84.png

Been on something of a purple kick lately.

Primary monitor on the right? Madness.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I wonder how far the monitor makers will push resolution, will it actually be beyond what 99% of the population can resolve with their eyes? Will there be an arms race for bionic eyes and higher resolution displays? The mind boggles.

I just want an ultra widescreen 1440p display. That would make me happy.

when you hit the limit of eyesight, you make the monitors bigger, suddenly that resolution increase matters again

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Limits in eyesight resolution haven’t stopped cellphone makers

• Options
    The human eye can't see past 30fps

8-)

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I'm really kinda leaning towards LG's new NanoIPS thing. It's probably marketing bullshit, but, I hear it's shiny and faboo, and it's brand new as of Summer 2019. And who knows, I might even be able to mount it in my vertical mount.

Apparently my current monitors are TN panels. From 2011. So basically it boils down to do I want VA (the MSI or Samsung ones I mentioned above), or IPS (LG).

... do I really want to spend $900 upgrading my GPU and Monitor?

EDIT: ABORT ABORT ABORT

https://i.imgur.com/tdg2d3q.jpg

Apparently the 27GL850 line might have some problems with burn in.

KiTA on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @KiTA I will say once you go IPS good luck leaving it. I've never been able to unsee the quality even in really good TN monitors.

• Options
    @KiTA I will say once you go IPS good luck leaving it. I've never been able to unsee the quality even in really good TN monitors.

Is burn in an issue with IPS? I don't even think Windows 10 has screen savers anymore. :P

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I have an IPS panel from 2005 and it still doesnt have burn in and its a monitor I used as a primary monitor for about 7 years and then as a secondary monitor until about last month. Only reason I stopped using it is because I dont have the desk space for a 3rd monitor.

That burn in might be an issue with that persons monitor or maybe an issue with the NanoIPS LG is using.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    This ventures into home networking stuff, but any of my canadian peers have recommendations on where to get bulk cat6 cable? I want to add some more to my house. Not sure if Home Depot is best or if I should be ordering from somewhere else.

Also any recommendations on crimpers?

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    This ventures into home networking stuff, but any of my canadian peers have recommendations on where to get bulk cat6 cable? I want to add some more to my house. Not sure if Home Depot is best or if I should be ordering from somewhere else.

I’m not in Canada, but I went with a 500 ft roll from mono price. Seemed reasonably priced and I always have good luck with mono price cables.

I read in a few places that if you really want the 10 GBs it might be worth investing in a cable checker. Supposedly the connections can affect the performance if done poorly. Personally I didn’t care since I don’t think any of my devices could top 1 GBs anyway.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Jebus314 wrote: »

I’m not in Canada, but I went with a 500 ft roll from mono price. Seemed reasonably priced and I always have good luck with mono price cables.

I read in a few places that if you really want the 10 GBs it might be worth investing in a cable checker. Supposedly the connections can affect the performance if done poorly. Personally I didn’t care since I don’t think any of my devices could top 1 GBs anyway.

Yea I'm not concerned about 10Gbps. I'm really only doing the cat6 because I don't want to regret what cable I ran in a few years.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Limits in eyesight resolution haven’t stopped cellphone makers

I mean

We've had 1440p and 4k cell phone screens for 5 years and 4k barely has made a dent.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The Galaxy S8 is 2960 x 1440, which is fucking ludicrous on a cellphone. The iPhone XR is a still pretty silly 1792 x 828. 1920x1080 is just fine on a 24" diagonal monitor. You mean to tell me you can tell the difference on something with a 6.1" diagonal?

edit: and reviewers are calling that "low for modern cellphones."

Fuck off, reviewers.

Orca on
  • Options
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Yea I'm not concerned about 10Gbps. I'm really only doing the cat6 because I don't want to regret what cable I ran in a few years.

You can get a crimper/connector kit from Amazon that will work fine.

Cable quality is pretty much the same depending where you buy the reel.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Welp, that was disappointing. Have to put my rebuild on hold because I can't for the life of me find my spare cables for my modular PSU, and the new mobo requires a second 4-pin CPU connection.

So phooey. I either buy a new PSU or go shopping for a new set of modular cables.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Welp, that was disappointing. Have to put my rebuild on hold because I can't for the life of me find my spare cables for my modular PSU, and the new mobo requires a second 4-pin CPU connection.

So phooey. I either buy a new PSU or go shopping for a new set of modular cables.

The manufacturer doesnt sell the cables?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Only in complete sets as near as I can tell (evga).

(edit: maybe I don't actually need the extra 4-pin connector. The 8-pin alone may suffice. Time to test this perhaps.)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

Only in complete sets as near as I can tell (evga).

(edit: maybe I don't actually need the extra 4-pin connector. The 8-pin alone may suffice. Time to test this perhaps.)

Which cable is it - the cpu cable on mobo should just be an 8-pin, some psus have it as 2 4-pin but shouldn't matter.

• Options
    You guys looking for these?

ZbZ3AcF.png?1

• Options
    Well poop, Asus AI overclock's attempts to bring this sucker to a 5 GHz all core overclock resulted in an unstable system. I'll have to be happy with a mediocre 4.9 GHz all core overclock.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    In my experience auto overclocking is usually not very good. Manually doing it is usually the way to go for best results

This discussion has been closed.