As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Nah I'm pretty sure anatomical terms are universal within English or medical records would be fucking garbo when traveling.
    Well, it ain't true for slang, if "fanny" is anything to go by.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Wow I can't believe they said the face is in the palm. That's clearly the back of the hand, article author. Or are hands also backwards in NZ?
    Maybe it's a linguistic thing, like how in UK English "pants" refers to what US English speakers call "underwear".

Maybe in NZ English, "palm" refers to what other Englishes call "back of the hand".

What are underpants then

Shoes.

I believe it's also used to refer to the supporting frame under the body of a motor vehicle.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Nah I'm pretty sure anatomical terms are universal within English or medical records would be fucking garbo when traveling.
    Well, it ain't true for slang, if "fanny" is anything to go by.

I forgot slang is correct medical terminology! Case closed!

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Wow I can't believe they said the face is in the palm. That's clearly the back of the hand, article author. Or are hands also backwards in NZ?
    Maybe it's a linguistic thing, like how in UK English "pants" refers to what US English speakers call "underwear".

Maybe in NZ English, "palm" refers to what other Englishes call "back of the hand".

What are underpants then

Same thing. Pants is short for underpants.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

What are underpants then

Wait no

This gets recursive and I do not care for it

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

What are underpants then

Wait no

Blame Victorian era obsession with modesty or something.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    In US English underpants go under your pants
    In UK English underpants are pants that go under

• Options

What are underpants then

Wait no

It's pants all the way under.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

What are underpants then

Wait no

it's not our fault that the US threw out a perfectly serviceable word like trousers.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Good dependable word, that

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    pantaloons

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    In US English underpants go under your pants
    In UK English underpants are pants that go under

But if underpants are pants that go under and pants are underpants then

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    funny enough I've heard trousers used to describe underwear/swim-trunks recently

I was a bit confused

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    funny enough I've heard trousers used to describe underwear/swim-trunks recently

I was a bit confused

Not as confused as whoever decided that terminology would be useful.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Fishman lonelyahava what the hell is going on down there in NZ

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/08/nightmare-hand-sculpture-arrives-in-wellington-horrifies-locals.html

The five-metre tall polystyrene and resin sculpture was created by artist Ronnie van Hout. It's a large hand standing on two fingers, with a face in the palm.

Originally, it stood atop Christchurch Art Gallery, but now "Quasi" is perched on top of Wellington's City Gallery, staring out over the city.
    Another user had just the right mix of reverence and fear.

"Gaze upon him, is that the face of a merciful God?"

I don't know if this is exactly the right thread, but we don't have one for "Boschian nightmares that should remain forever buried", so.

Sigh.

Okay, so Civic Square is kind of supposed to be one of the landmark public spaces of the city. It's the space between the Micheal Fowler Center (home of NZSO), Town Hall, The Public Library, and Wellington Art Gallery. It's a vibrant place of culture and public interaction.

...or at least it was. The Town Hall restoration is years overdue and millions over budget, so that's been fronted by construction boarding for half a decade.

The City Library was closed last year and probably needs to be torn down, following the discovery that a certain type of building construction doesn't behave in earthquakes the way we thought it did.

And the signature sculpture piece 'ferns' was found to have suffered significant structural damage in Wellington's marine climate and high winds, so it had to be reforged and replaced only to be taken down again less than a year later.

So it's become a bit of a dead space, lacking what used to make it an actual nice public space full of locals rubbing shoulders and random free concerts and public events.

... And it's local government elections in two months.

So basically I think the current local government needed a quick bandaid to show they were investing and committed to bringing culture and life back to the Square, asked around for what was available, and Christchurch was like 'have we got a deal for you'.

Cue Faustian pact for Lovecraftian nightmare.

But seriously, look at how gorgeous Ferns used to be. It used to be so pretty. Sigh.
    fnyQFKP.jpg

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options

What are underpants then

Wait no

it's not our fault that the US threw out a perfectly serviceable word like trousers.
    A very cursory Internet search - the basis of all good scholarship - tells me that "trousers" originated in early 17th century, and "pantaloons" originated in late 16th century (and was shortened to "pants" in the 19th). So, it seems more like the colonies broke away, and then the Brits were like "OK, now that those jerks are gone, let's use a new word for long-outerwear-leg-garment".

Also I looked up "pantaloons" while I was at it, and boy did I not expect this:
    Because of his skinny legs, Pantalone is often portrayed wearing trousers rather than knee-breeches (which Jaques refers to as "his youthful hose, well sav'd, a world too wide/For his shrunk shank"). He therefore became the origin of the name of a type of trouser called "pantaloons", which was later shortened to "pants"
    How much of modern European and European-influenced culture can be traced back to commedia dell'arte?

• Options
  • Options
    It's basically the Bible + commedia dell'arte top to bottom, right?

• Options
    Huh, I did not know that Pantalone was the origin of pantaloons, I always assumed it was the other way around

• Options
    Also, Wiktionary says:
    Etymology
    Borrowed from French pantalon, from Italian Pantalone, a traditional character in 16th-century Italian comedy. See “Commedia dell'arte” in Wikipedia. The name is of Ancient Greek origin and loosely translates as "entirely lion." See παν (pan) and λέων (léōn).
    What the fuck.

Assuming that isn't complete nonsense, I'm gonna have to give this one to "pantaloons", and transition to using that word exclusively in my day-to-day life.

• Options
    Entirely Lion is my Imagine Dragons cover band.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    But seriously, look at how gorgeous Ferns used to be. It used to be so pretty. Sigh.
    fnyQFKP.jpg

I don't want to alarm you, but I think your city may be under attack by the 12th Angel. Is the giant hand perhaps connected to some sort of mecha?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Also, Wiktionary says:
    Etymology
    Borrowed from French pantalon, from Italian Pantalone, a traditional character in 16th-century Italian comedy. See “Commedia dell'arte” in Wikipedia. The name is of Ancient Greek origin and loosely translates as "entirely lion." See παν (pan) and λέων (léōn).
    What the fuck.

Assuming that isn't complete nonsense, I'm gonna have to give this one to "pantaloons", and transition to using that word exclusively in my day-to-day life.

It looks like it might actually be more correctly anglicized Panteleimon, or all-compassionate, although the saint in question is commonly spelled Pantaleon in English which does confuse matters

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Trousers are just short for trouser armadillo holder

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Also, Wiktionary says:
    Etymology
    What the fuck.

It looks like it might actually be more correctly anglicized Panteleimon, or all-compassionate, although the saint in question is commonly spelled Pantaleon in English which does confuse matters

Listen to me. I respect you and I admire you.

If you take an old-timey clown named "Entirely Lion" away from me, we are going to have a problem.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There is a bizarre ideal about taking the downtown part of Albuquerque back to how it looked in the 60's with a modern appeal
    So from this
    8gfcdzmwyc2t.png
    To something like this
    etspsm21fkvb.png

The goal is to attract businesses and people to the area

Just they are messing it up in so many ways

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Do you have any links?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Rugby needs a team call the “All Lions”.

Fans can wear pants on their heads.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Do you have any links?

Me or?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Do you have any links?

Nope, just bobcats

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular

What are underpants then

Wait no

'Trousers' is one of the few words from gaelic (Scots or middle Irish depending on who you believe) to make it relatively unchanged into modern English!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Do you have any links?

Nope, Chuck Testa!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Do you have any links?

Me or?

Yes, for this city redesign initiative

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I'm not entirely certain about this bold new direction for the Mega Man X series.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

What are underpants then

Wait no

'Trousers' is one of the few words from gaelic (Scots or middle Irish depending on who you believe) to make it relatively unchanged into modern English!

also trousers is still a words said in the south a lot

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    at least in appalachia

• Options
    I feel like trousers is still used in American English, it just refers to a specific type of pants/trousers, as opposed to being the catch-all word.

Like, I hear trousers from someone around here and I assume they're talking about dress pants of some variety.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I'm not entirely certain about this bold new direction for the Mega Man X series.

Suddenly, removing his armor takes on unfortunate implications

• Options
    and in australia? Dacks.

By their tongue/shall ye know them

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Up here we call em panties

This discussion has been closed.