As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm confused about M.2 drives. I have an ASUS Z97-A motherboard
    The manual for the board says the following things:
    This socket supports M Key and type 2260/2280 storage devices
    • M.2 & SATA Express Onboard: The latest transfer technologies with up to 10 Gb/s data transfer speeds
    • M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (supports PCIE SSD only)
    • The PCIe x1_1/2 slots share bandwidth with M.2 Socket 3.
    I'm trying to figure out if there is any advantage other than form factor for me to get an M.2 drive but I remember there was something about it depending on whether or not your mobo used SATA or, I think it was PCIe, for the M.2 slot.

I think I can go with an NVME drive but I just wanted to make sure.

2260/2280 is NVME, so you should be okay.

Also note it says the M.2 port is disabled by default, so you may have to manually switch it on in the BIOS.

Sweet! So what are the preferred brands of NVME drive?

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Yeesh I thought about getting a new CPU/Mobo/RAM with the Ryzen 5 3600, but there's literally only like 2 microATX mobos out there. Or is there little downside to not going X570/X470?

i just got a buddy setup with a new mATX based Ryzen 5 3600. We used a Gigabyte B450M DS3H and it seems totally fine! Are you planning to use SLI or something? What's wrong with a B450 chipset.

I think part of the question is whether there is value add in X570.

Answer: if you aren't running PCIe Gen 4 NVMe/anything, then no.

And I'm running the exact same board as HT, but with a 2600 for the time being.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    • M.2 & SATA Express Onboard: The latest transfer technologies with up to 10 Gb/s data transfer speeds
    • M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (supports PCIE SSD only)
    I'm trying to figure out if there is any advantage other than form factor for me to get an M.2 drive but I remember there was something about it depending on whether or not your mobo used SATA or, I think it was PCIe, for the M.2 slot.

Also note it says the M.2 port is disabled by default, so you may have to manually switch it on in the BIOS.

Samsung is my personal favorite.

• Options

Samsung
    WD
    Crucial
    ADATA
    Silicon Power
    HP

Honestly the market is a bit Wild West right now because a large number of OEMs are buying good controllers. I just picked up this drive yesterday:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07L6DKM8V/ (It's $60US on the .com site)

Different NVMe drives go on sale about every third day right now, so check deal sites like SlickDeals or r/buildapcsales. PCPP doesn't always pick up the price changes, especially when there's a ton of drive OEMs.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

as long as you don't have anything running in your pci-e x1 slots you're fine to use the m.2 slot, but yea it states that your m.2 slot supports pci-e drives only. PCI-e drives are faster than sata, you might not notice a massive difference in day to day, but they are faster.

If you already have a good SATA SSD and you're happy with it, I don't think you need to upgrade. but if you're looking to upgrade capacity or add another drive, I'd go with an m.2 drive.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2019
    wunderbar wrote: »

as long as you don't have anything running in your pci-e x1 slots you're fine to use the m.2 slot, but yea it states that your m.2 slot supports pci-e drives only. PCI-e drives are faster than sata, you might not notice a massive difference in day to day, but they are faster.

If you already have a good SATA SSD and you're happy with it, I don't think you need to upgrade. but if you're looking to upgrade capacity or add another drive, I'd go with an m.2 drive.

I didn't think I would notice a difference between NVMe and SSD, but after upgrading one example that struck me was loading times in X-Com 2. On the SSD it would take about 6 or 7 seconds for me to be able to transition out of the mission brief and on the NVMe drive I hear the loaded noise before the scene even fades in from black. Both that and how quickly Win 10 boots are jarring every time.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Is Sabrent a decent brand? I've never heard of them before, but Amazon has a 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe for $110 and I'm tempted... my current NVMe is just a 250gb Samsung one.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Yeesh I thought about getting a new CPU/Mobo/RAM with the Ryzen 5 3600, but there's literally only like 2 microATX mobos out there. Or is there little downside to not going X570/X470?

i just got a buddy setup with a new mATX based Ryzen 5 3600. We used a Gigabyte B450M DS3H and it seems totally fine! Are you planning to use SLI or something? What's wrong with a B450 chipset.

Thanks for the input both of you. That was exactly my question - I see everyone here and elsewhere looking for X570 boards, so I didn't know if the B450 boards were still good for the 3600.

As for SLI, well... I just replaced a nearly 10-year-old HD 5770, so no, SLI is not a thing.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The only real catch with going with a 450 vs a 570 is that you might (probably will) have to update the bio to get a 3rd gen Ryzen to work with the board. Which requires a compatible cpu or a friendly local store to do the swap for you.

I think there are some 450s that were recent revision releases that will work out the box but I'm not 100%

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Thanks for the input both of you. That was exactly my question - I see everyone here and elsewhere looking for X570 boards, so I didn't know if the B450 boards were still good for the 3600.

As for SLI, well... I just replaced a nearly 10-year-old HD 5770, so no, SLI is not a thing.

Yeah. B450M's will be perfect for the 3600 unless you're looking to do serious overclocking. I would however ensure your capability of updating the BIOS.

The MSI B450M's are fantastic.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Yowza those driver improvements are pretty crazy.

Yeah. From the looks of things, it looks like they managed to shave off a bunch of CPU overhead (bigger performance improvements at lower res makes me think this is the case).

The integer scaling option is the bigger boon imo. I can't wait to see what some pretty pixel games will look like with it.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    After a decade of loyal service, my wired Xbox 360 controller finally died today. I'm going to take it apart to see if I can resurrect it but I might have to pick up one of those newfangled X-bone controller to replace it. Just as I'm starting to use it again with my new rig. I can finally run FFXV at a decent frame rate and I'm really getting into it. It definitely needs a controller though.

Check out the Switch Pro con.

It's kinda glorious.

Opinions are like assholes, etc., but I do think the Switch Pro controller is somewhat overpriced for what you actually get, which feels like a mildly cheaper-feeling version of the DS4 (and substantially cheaper XB1 controller), that costs almost twice as much because Nintendo reasons. It's okay, but there are way better alternatives out there, both first and third party.

It's a huge improvement over anything involving the Switch controls, but I'm one of the group who thinks those are just terrible (and I don't even have particularly big hands). If you already have a Switch, no-brainer, but buying it just to plug it into a PC, which won't even use all of the functionality....hmm....

I actually think the XB1 is a big step down from the 360 con, which is the perfect controller.

Dualshocks are no-gos for me just because of their form factor.

The Switch Procon is my favorite of this gen by a wide margin. The button responses feel mechanical and glorious.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I didn't build the machine for my buddy, just helped him figure out what to get. I know the shop he bought it from did the BIOS update for him, he's had no issues.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I loved the XB1 controller so much, I bought a second one. I connect it via microUSB to my PC, since I play most of my games at my desk, but I've successfully connected it wirelessly to my SteamLink for occasional couch gaming.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

Yeah. B450M's will be perfect for the 3600 unless you're looking to do serious overclocking. I would however ensure your capability of updating the BIOS.

The MSI B450M's are fantastic.

Yeah, might make it worth it to truck up to Microcenter or something so I can ensure I get the correct BIOS version.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Pulse 5700xt came in stock at Newegg for like 15 minutes and managed to snag one.
    I guess I can give my son his 590 back...

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I loved the XB1 controller so much, I bought a second one. I connect it via microUSB to my PC, since I play most of my games at my desk, but I've successfully connected it wirelessly to my SteamLink for occasional couch gaming.

I've got an elite, so I've spoiled myself--it's odd going back to other controllers (though I no longer use the paddles often).

I remember being really let down by the Switch Pro Controller--even more so when I heard the price point. The ergonomics aren't quite there to a normal XB1 controller, and the actual build quality is...oddly old. And not in a good way. Like I'm paying double price for a controller from ten years ago. That may've changed though, this was quite early in the Switch's lifetime.

The stick/button arrangement is better than the DS4, but considering I never adapted to the DS2, I might as well blame myself for that.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Samsung
    WD
    Crucial
    ADATA
    Silicon Power
    HP

Honestly the market is a bit Wild West right now because a large number of OEMs are buying good controllers. I just picked up this drive yesterday:

Different NVMe drives go on sale about every third day right now, so check deal sites like SlickDeals or r/buildapcsales. PCPP doesn't always pick up the price changes, especially when there's a ton of drive OEMs.

When my ADATA XPG M.2 died, the local computer repair guy was adamant that ADATA was not a good brand.

I'm doing an RMA with ADATA so we'll see what happens.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Holy cow look at the difference from memory overclocking with the 3900x on TimeSpy.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/8222258/spy/7940997#

The low scores was stock system with 2133mhz memory. The new one is with latest chipset drivers and bios and memory overclocked to 3733 CL16 with tight timings and 1:1 FCLK.

CPU score increased by 26.3%

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

Samsung
    WD
    Crucial
    ADATA
    Silicon Power
    HP

When my ADATA XPG M.2 died, the local computer repair guy was adamant that ADATA was not a good brand.

I'm doing an RMA with ADATA so we'll see what happens.

Normally I'd agree, but their current offerings are getting good reviews; which suggests they managed to get their hands on some solid controller chips for once.

• Options

I've got an elite, so I've spoiled myself--it's odd going back to other controllers (though I no longer use the paddles often).

I remember being really let down by the Switch Pro Controller--even more so when I heard the price point. The ergonomics aren't quite there to a normal XB1 controller, and the actual build quality is...oddly old. And not in a good way. Like I'm paying double price for a controller from ten years ago. That may've changed though, this was quite early in the Switch's lifetime.

The stick/button arrangement is better than the DS4, but considering I never adapted to the DS2, I might as well blame myself for that.

At least we can agree that the Dualshock analog stick placement is the worst.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

That makes two people who are wrong, then. Not to worry though, keep enjoying whichever controllers you prefer!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    What’s the go on swapping in secondary drives to new builds?

Reformatting is probably still the the best answer, but wanted to check if I could just plug it in when I get around to buying the remaining components of my build

I’m also still super annoyed at the lack of in depth hands on reviews of the x570 motherboards online.

One techtuber compared the chipset fan noise without recording examples, another techtuber talks about specs on paper with no first hand experience, another talks about vrm temps for low and very high end only.

No one goes into depth on everything above including bios issues.

I’m basically left with reading user reviews on Newegg for common issues to try to avoid

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Secondary drives? Just plug em in. Maybe I'm misinterpreting. You should never have to format a secondary drive when you port it over. Realistically, you don't need to do so for a primary drive either. Just uninstall/install relevant drivers.

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular

Samsung is my personal favorite.

They use a certain memory arch that is expensive to make, but longer lived.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    This is a little off-topic but it doesn't look like there is a dedicated camera or photography thread and it wouldn't surprise me if people in this thread know about this stuff.

We had a Canon Rebel XS (EOS 1000D) for years but it broke a couple of years ago and I've finally been told to pick a new camera. We are still very much at the beginner level so I'm not looking to go high-end. I'm looking at the Canon Rebel SL2. The things I like about it are its articulated screen and it has built-in Bluetooth, WIFI and NFC and it seems like it would be a very solid upgrade and is probably around the upper-limit of our budget.

Side-by-side comparison chart

I'm not necessarily loyal to Canon but the 50mm lens from our previous camera would also be compatible with this one (as would the kit lens though we would likely end up getting another one with this camera). Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

EDIT: one other caveat is that we do have a 4K TV and the SL2 doesn't do video in 4K but I'm not convinced I can even see the difference between 1080p and 4K

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options

That makes two people who are wrong, then. Not to worry though, keep enjoying whichever controllers you prefer!

Tbh I probably would be okay with it but the thumbstick placement causes me actual physical pain after about 5 minutes.

• Options

Tbh I probably would be okay with it but the thumbstick placement causes me actual physical pain after about 5 minutes.

I would be a lot more forgiving of classic Dualshock were the ergonomics better. Which they are in DS4! Not as good as others, but still better!

I don't use my (new) PS4 enough to justify getting a third-party controller. Though apparently you can use Xbox controllers on a Playstation 4 (might not be worth the trouble).

• Options

I would be a lot more forgiving of classic Dualshock were the ergonomics better. Which they are in DS4! Not as good as others, but still better!

I don't use my (new) PS4 enough to justify getting a third-party controller. Though apparently you can use Xbox controllers on a Playstation 4 (might not be worth the trouble).

Of course you could just go the utterly batshit route and get an Astro C40 TR.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    This is a little off-topic but it doesn't look like there is a dedicated camera or photography thread and it wouldn't surprise me if people in this thread know about this stuff.

We had a Canon Rebel XS (EOS 1000D) for years but it broke a couple of years ago and I've finally been told to pick a new camera. We are still very much at the beginner level so I'm not looking to go high-end. I'm looking at the Canon Rebel SL2. The things I like about it are its articulated screen and it has built-in Bluetooth, WIFI and NFC and it seems like it would be a very solid upgrade and is probably around the upper-limit of our budget.

I'm not necessarily loyal to Canon but the 50mm lens from our previous camera would also be compatible with this one (as would the kit lens though we would likely end up getting another one with this camera). Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

EDIT: one other caveat is that we do have a 4K TV and the SL2 doesn't do video in 4K but I'm not convinced I can even see the difference between 1080p and 4K

Its not much help but all I know about cameras is from a photog friend and she says the last couple generations canon has lagged behind in sensor quality (with Sony being great) but that canon shit is still tough and durable and great lenses.
    Also a ridiculous accessory ecosystem so used shit is ubiquitous.

• Options

Would that be better or worse? :)

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    DS4 doesn't really bother me that much, but then again I don't play that long. Usually after about an hour, my ADD is like "Hey, let's go fly a kite!"

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

Its not much help but all I know about cameras is from a photog friend and she says the last couple generations canon has lagged behind in sensor quality (with Sony being great) but that canon shit is still tough and durable and great lenses.
    Also a ridiculous accessory ecosystem so used shit is ubiquitous.

No constructive info, but also check both BJ's and Costco, if you can. The price difference would be worth the effort of either getting a friend to buy for you, or paying for a one-day pass.

• Options

Would that be better or worse? :)

Yes

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I have a Canon Rebel SL2 and I think it's a great price/performance midpoint. Certainly not the best out there, but a great camera anyone can use, with enough features to let you get a bit further into photography.

You can join us over in SE++ in the photography thread if you like. Lots more folks more knowledgeable than me.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I have a Canon Rebel SL2 and I think it's a great price/performance midpoint. Certainly not the best out there, but a great camera anyone can use, with enough features to let you get a bit further into photography.

You can join us over in SE++ in the photography thread if you like. Lots more folks more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks, IronKnuckle's Ghost :) I'll definitely do that (I don't know why I couldn't find that thread)

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    listen, if you're getting a fancy camera don't forget to put a bunch of LEDs on that bad boy, really show it off y'know?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    listen, if you're getting a fancy camera don't forget to put a bunch of LEDs on that bad boy, really show it off y'know?

But do I optimize it for speed (Red), cooling (Blue) or environmental concerns (Green)?

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

But do I optimize it for speed (Red), cooling (Blue) or environmental concerns (Green)?

yes

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ah, green, the color of nature/health/acid/poison/radioactivity/aliens/mint

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.