As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stadia: Don’t cross the streams.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Yes, like a few others, Nvidia is already doing what Stadia claims it will do.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Not sure what you are getting at. Geforce Now is a cloud gaming service. Nvidia provides the servers, presumably they have images of preinstalled and configured games which can just be loaded and directed to your personal save data, something like how Stadia will likely work. They do allow you to install your own Steam games on their servers, but its currently temporary as they likely don't have the ability/investment for each user to have many gigs of their own personal data stored and accessed from any Nvidia server.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Ah I was thinking of Shield streaming. GeForce Now does cloud gaming but they don't do game sales at all, they use your library from other services and you pay them for play time.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Zek wrote: »
    Ah I was thinking of Shield streaming. GeForce Now does cloud gaming but they don't do game sales at all, they use your library from other services and you pay them for play time.

From what I can find about the service (I'm not in the beta program), it's almost the same model as Stadia:

Subscription to play most of the library.
    Other titles need to be directly purchased to have them playable/streamable.

EDIT - ahh...I see what you mean. Nvidia doesn't sell the game themselves...they actually redirect you to the digital distro site for a game you want to buy. Gotcha.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    With the NVIDIA streaming service that it was removed from, that was just a bonus "you bought the game so you can stream it if you like" and they still have their original copy. Apparently a bunch of the frustration is people who don't have a powerful enough PC to run it locally and thus were streaming it.

Which is the crux of this whole streaming move. People using GFN because their PC wasn’t powerful enough are basically Stadia users.

And this is a great example of what can happen to your purchased games.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Wow, textbook case too.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I was watching some Youtubes vids last night and before one played, an ad kicked in for Stadia. I let it played the whole thing and it looks like it was just a segment from one of their Stadia Connects.

They pushed a bunch of their games (Destiny 2 being a big one, Cyberpunk, etc.), but they also flashed a lot of Mortal Kombat 11 and Samurai Shodown.

I get why the devs would do it, money is money, but pushing that genre specifically just made me raise an eyebrow. I wouldn't think those two would give the best impression.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    With the NVIDIA streaming service that it was removed from, that was just a bonus "you bought the game so you can stream it if you like" and they still have their original copy. Apparently a bunch of the frustration is people who don't have a powerful enough PC to run it locally and thus were streaming it.

Which is the crux of this whole streaming move. People using GFN because their PC wasn’t powerful enough are basically Stadia users.

Except that in this case they weren't buying a purely streaming game. They were buying a normal game with no streaming guarantees that also could be streamed.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Currently Nvidia's streaming service itself is in free "beta". This is just further evidence of how not seriously they are taking it.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Except that in this case they weren't buying a purely streaming game. They were buying a normal game with no streaming guarantees that also could be streamed.

Right, in both cases they didn't own the streamed game so if the rights go elsewhere, like a tv show on netflix, the game is no longer able to be streamed. And if the only thing you bought was as the ability to stream it then you are left with nothing at all.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I was watching some Youtubes vids last night and before one played, an ad kicked in for Stadia. I let it played the whole thing and it looks like it was just a segment from one of their Stadia Connects.

They pushed a bunch of their games (Destiny 2 being a big one, Cyberpunk, etc.), but they also flashed a lot of Mortal Kombat 11 and Samurai Shodown.

I get why the devs would do it, money is money, but pushing that genre specifically just made me raise an eyebrow. I wouldn't think those two would give the best impression.

I've seen so many videos from Maximillian Dood rage about just the basic latency frame issues in games like Guilty Gear or Street Fighter 5 and how hard it seems to be for games to manage good netcode. I can only begin to imagine the added effect of the streaming latency would have an fighting game input.

• Options

Right, in both cases they didn't own the streamed game so if the rights go elsewhere, like a tv show on netflix, the game is no longer able to be streamed. And if the only thing you bought was as the ability to stream it then you are left with nothing at all.

I think if the only thing you bought is rights to stream, with no other value, the vendors will take preserving that much more seriously than a free beta add on product.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

I've seen so many videos from Maximillian Dood rage about just the basic latency frame issues in games like Guilty Gear or Street Fighter 5 and how hard it seems to be for games to manage good netcode. I can only begin to imagine the added effect of the streaming latency would have an fighting game input.

Would having the work done on a central server for both parties alleviate any of this? Seems like it would potentially level the playing field if everybody is working from the same data center, but that still doesn’t solve the inherent latency problems of playing online.

On the other hand I’m pretty sure that current top-tier fighting game netcode is still a lesser experience than playing locally.

Actually, what the hell does a peer to peer connection even look like in these circumstances? If all players are connecting through Stadia, and the game instances are being run in their farms, does the concept even mean anything?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Yes, like a few others, Nvidia is already doing what Stadia claims it will do.

We've lately seen some quiet back-peddling of sorts from Microsoft about what Project XCloud will mean in the near future, and what it might mean at an unspecified date some time after that. In their case, it doesn't sound entirely like they were willfully misrepresenting what they were capable of so much as didn't wanted to dampen the enthusiasm before they remembered the beta was about to begin and they better dampen the fuck out of some enthusiasm.

"Wait, so I can stream Xbox games to my Nintendo Switch? Why am I talking to you when I could be signing up for the beta?"

"Uh, yes, you can! Once we implement support for the Switch, since we're starting with phones..."

"The whole Xbox Library? Man, that'll be awesome on the go!"

"...and you buy an Xbox One console, since the all streaming in the current model will be based off existing hardware."

"Are you still talking?"

For the average consumer who just wants to play games, the nuanced differences between a streaming service that pipes in a game magically from the ether, and one that relies on an Xbox One you own and the Wifi you already have, and has been working in Windows 10 for a couple years now, are boring technical mumbo-jumbo. Plus, Microsoft wants to make a handy profit off of this versus the costs they're already paying, and that can involve some embellishing...

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Would having the work done on a central server for both parties alleviate any of this? Seems like it would potentially level the playing field if everybody is working from the same data center, but that still doesn’t solve the inherent latency problems of playing online.

On the other hand I’m pretty sure that current top-tier fighting game netcode is still a lesser experience than playing locally.

Actually, what the hell does a peer to peer connection even look like in these circumstances? If all players are connecting through Stadia, and the game instances are being run in their farms, does the concept even mean anything?
    I don't know. Now that you mention it, I had previously only been focused on input lag. I.e., we have input lag now just due to monitors and controllers, the time it takes for the input to get to the data center seems like it'd make it unbearable for this specific genre. I can notice even a few frames, so I always rolled my eyes when it came to Stadia due to this....again, for this specific genre.

You bring up a great point, though. What if the blade my opponent is on is in a completely different part of the country than I am / the blade I'm on? So my inputs would have to go to the datacenter and then be re-transmitted to the datacenter the opponent is at and vice versa? Or if the opponent is located right next to their datacenter, but I'm a bit further away from where mine is?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Yes, P2P would still be a thing unless Google has created a new way for it work in Stadia they haven't shown yet.

They're independent machines working in concert, not a massive supercomputer, effectively no different than 2 consoles in 2 separate houses.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

I don't know. Now that you mention it, I had previously only been focused on input lag. I.e., we have input lag now just due to monitors and controllers, the time it takes for the input to get to the data center seems like it'd make it unbearable for this specific genre. I can notice even a few frames, so I always rolled my eyes when it came to Stadia due to this....again, for this specific genre.

You bring up a great point, though. What if the blade my opponent is on is in a completely different part of the country than I am / the blade I'm on? So my inputs would have to go to the datacenter and then be re-transmitted to the datacenter the opponent is at and vice versa? Or if the opponent is located right next to their datacenter, but I'm a bit further away from where mine is?

At that point it's just regular netcode, two Stadia computers are playing online together. They would have a very good internet connection between them, but you would have some input lag on your side the same as always.

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

At this point, can we firmly dispense with any chance then when Stadia folds up - and chances are statistically good it will, as it will not be the runaway success they want - you'll get you money back? I'd also give the stink eye to working with Stadia if I was a dev company leader, particularly if this was my first product.

Jeep-Eep on
    I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    at this point in time all we have are promises
    a bunch of similar cases that didn't end well at all for consumers
    and people saying "but no that won't happen because I don't want it to"

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Based on a tweet? No.

I'd be curious to hear what money google isn't refunding as the platform is remaining active for another calendar year and they are not taking any more money for the product. What said twitter user is likely referring to is the fact that the probably have a license for the next year which google is refusing to refund, which makes perfect sense as the service is still live.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yeah, nobody knows what is going to happen. But there are certainly enough datapoints to make some reasonable predictions.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Why? There's a bunch of anecdotal stories like @Jeep-Eep 's post above with some jumping to conclusions but if you actually go and read the associated articles and such I'm not really finding many of those data points.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm not buying into Stadia for at least a few years to see if they can 1) pull off the streaming miracle and 2) keep the service up and running.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Google Hire is no longer billing for Hire, and customers can use it till their contract date expiration or September 2020, whichever is first, so most of them are getting the service for free for up to a year while they decide which hiring platform to switch to.

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Why the fuck don't they have XCOM:EU and 2 anyway? They have decent working Linux ports already, which is an important prerequisite, and the lag won't be an issue.

Jeep-Eep on
    I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    I think the knowledge that Google might cancel it if it fails, maybe even without compensation, is just a known risk of buying into the platform early. Not much else to be said about it, either you're willing to take that chance or you aren't. Hopefully for Google's sake they can convince enough people to be early adopters to secure the platform's success.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm not buying into Stadia for at least a few years to see if they can 1) pull off the streaming miracle and 2) keep the service up and running.

That's a really easy solution to almost every consumer issue: wait and see. Stadia has no choice but to get better in a year, that much is certain. If not less.

We just don't know how dependent the whole thing is on the early adopter response...

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So I tried Stadia at pax on Friday

The controller felt exactly like all the other Xbox 360 controller knockoffs

And I played mortal Kombat 11 which felt like garbage, but I don't like fighting games and I always think they feel like garbage.

So, yeah, nothing special to report on my end

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Been a while since there was any talk of Stadia, just bringing in a couple things I've seen recently.

https://www.pcgamer.com/google-says-stadia-will-be-faster-than-local-gaming-hardware-in-two-years/
    Google thinks Stadia will have less lag than your PC in two years

In an interview with Edge Magazine, Google's VP of engineering Madj Bakar claims Google Stadia will be superior to gaming on desktops and other local hardware "in a year or two." With the tech it's been developing in modeling and machine learning, Bakar says that Stadia will make games feel more responsive in the cloud, and make them run faster than they do locally "regardless of how powerful the local machine is." He says this can be done through something called "negative latency."

Now, there actually isn't such a thing as negative latency, but Bakar is talking about creating a buffer of predicated latency in which Stadia can mitigate the lag the player is seeing on their end over the cloud network. This can be done in a few ways, like rapidly increasing fps to reduce latency between player input and what's displayed on screen, but Bakar says mitigating latency will mostly come from Stadia's ability to predict your button presses.

Some more speculation on the challenges involved at the link.

I also just saw this today:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/15/20915609/google-pixel-4-no-daydream-support-view-vr-headset-discontinued
    Google is discontinuing the Daydream View VR headset, and the Pixel 4 won’t support Daydream

Google has essentially abandoned its Daydream virtual reality platform. The company confirmed to The Verge that the new Pixel 4 phone won’t support Daydream, and Google told Variety and The Verge that it will also no longer sell the Daydream View mobile headset. It will continue to support the app — which only works on older phones — for existing users.

“There hasn’t been the broad consumer or developer adoption we had hoped, and we’ve seen decreasing usage over time of the Daydream View headset,” a spokesperson said. Although the system had potential, “we noticed some clear limitations constraining smartphone VR from being a viable long-term solution,” said the spokesperson. “Most notably, asking people to put their phone in a headset and lose access to the apps they use throughout the day causes immense friction.” That echoes similar complaints about Daydream’s biggest competition, the Samsung Gear VR.

Add another to the pile of discontinued Google services and hardware. I feel like this one is actually a lot more significant and relevant to the question of ongoing support for Stadia.

Without going too far into my personal life, this one affects me personally in my work. I have fought with these stupid things for hours and learned all the ins and outs and have some major issues with them. They run some form of smartphone-esque Android but it's not full featured enough to give you real power user control, I don't think you can manage them with Google Admin Console, and some apps work differently in their tablet version vs. the Daydream version. Was waiting on getting some training from the company where I could ask some questions about it.

Wasted investment. Now any existing issues will never be solved.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Sometimes it's hard to believe Google is the all-powerful tech giant it is, when articles like those pop up. They're giving out hard shady-silicone-valley-startup vibes.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    "Negative Latency" is just such a stupid fucking term.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Wouldn’t it mean that the game starts getting false positives and making you do things it thinks you were going to do but you weren’t?

Since a few of the launch titles are multiplayer FPS, it’ll be interesting to see how it predicts full camera movement, player movement and player actions in unpredictable multiplayer matches.

Also if people start trying to trick it en mass by doing things like repeatedly jumping off one particular spot to their death.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I was actually considering treating myself and buying into this next week for.... reasons... but this all sounds so fucking terrible and terrifying.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    "Negative Latency" is just such a stupid fucking term.
    Yesterday: To get to the other side.

Tomorrow: Why did the photon cross the road?

• Options
    Wouldn’t it mean that the game starts getting false positives and making you do things it thinks you were going to do but you weren’t?

Since a few of the launch titles are multiplayer FPS, it’ll be interesting to see how it predicts full camera movement, player movement and player actions in unpredictable multiplayer matches.

Also if people start trying to trick it en mass by doing things like repeatedly jumping off one particular spot to their death.

I think the idea is that the input doesn't happen unless you actually do press the button when they thought you were going to. So the server has the ability to constantly be creating speculative forked instances of the game, and sending your client both a "pressed button" and "did nothing" stream at once, which the client chooses between on the fly.

It seems completely impossible in practice though. Even 30 FPS means 30 potential times when the user could press any one of their buttons. Even if Stadia knows exactly what button you're going to press and roughly when, it's not going to line up perfectly with the timing of your input. They would have to use a "close enough" style of matching, so like if the system's guess is within 10 frames of the actual timing then it goes with it. But the result of that would be clearly visible hitching.

The only other way I can imagine it working is if you utilized a mix of client and server rendering working in tandem, so the client handles player rendering and the server handles world rendering. But they haven't mentioned anything about that, and it would require very specialized engine support. So realistically I think this is nonsense given the technology that exists today.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Also if their system predicts your move and then sends it to you over their servers...

...there's still latency?

Like, they just tried to redefined latency as negative latency?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

It means that people will be suspiciously better at parries all of a sudden when playing on Stadia vs other platforms.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Google wants to be your Big Brother (heh) and hand you the unplugged controller while it plays

76561197966849367.png