As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield] - 2042 - Launches Nov 19th

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    With the rumors of BC3 on the horizon, I watched a really old clip of us playing BC2, on the brutal Angry Dome server.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By5tXZ1GrWs

Honestly it looks great for such an old game, I really hope they manage to capture the same feeling for BC3, specially seeing how BFV kinda flopped. Miss a bunch of ya dudes.

I'm really hoping that with the recent Anthem floptacular storm and BFV underperforming and being specifically mentioned in EA's earning report phone conference there is a ton of pressure on DICE to get their shit together. I'm hoping but not expecting.

Also that video is a false angry dome video you can tell because there wasn't 35 different UAV C4s flying in at objectives.

All jokes aside the rumor is that BC3 will be a launch title for the nextgen consoles in 2020

iRevert on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Oh the UAV bombs! I think we actually enforced a no UAV-bombing rule while it was still in the game? I can't remember. I like how you can tell we're constantly coordinating over comms, there was no other way in that server, so brutal.

And yeah, I've seen that rumor too, I also read some stuff on how BFV was rushed/built with limited resources, because they've had the main team focusing on BC3, which would explain some of the issues in V. I usually stay away from the "EA is bad" argument, but this one is definitely on them.

• Options
    Oh the UAV bombs! I think we actually enforced a no UAV-bombing rule while it was still in the game? I can't remember. I like how you can tell we're constantly coordinating over comms, there was no other way in that server, so brutal.

And yeah, I've seen that rumor too, I also read some stuff on how BFV was rushed/built with limited resources, because they've had the main team focusing on BC3, which would explain some of the issues in V. I usually stay away from the "EA is bad" argument, but this one is definitely on them.

Every BF game from 3 has been rushed with limited resources because of _______ so that excuse isn't exactly valid, at the end of the day all we can do is hope that it isn't balls and isn't a BR.

• Options
    BF3 was in development for something like 5 years, wasn't it? BF4 was the one that felt somewhat rushed, BF1 not so much, but it inheriting some already fixed bugs from BF4 showed the clusterfuck they had at the studio. BFV is well...

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    The pretty abysmal marketing campaign probably didn't help BF5 either.
    My biggest gripe with newer battlefield games is the removal of community servers and unfortunately it's a deal breaker.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Granted I came in like 5 months after launch, but I tried out BF5 for almost 10 hours and I enjoyed it. I didnt like the beta, but it seems to have come around. Might help that I got a new graphics card and was actually able to run the game. Although either there's a shortage of maps or I somehow ended up always playing the same couple...

Grand operations was pretty cool, seemed improved from BF1.

I think BC2/BF3-4 are the pinnacle of BF for me, even if my favorite is BF:V

If we're getting BC3 count me in as super stoked.

• Options
    altid wrote: »
    The pretty abysmal marketing campaign probably didn't help BF5 either.
    My biggest gripe with newer battlefield games is the removal of community servers and unfortunately it's a deal breaker.

This!! BF3 still had them but they gutted a bunch of tools, but then BF1 went the whole way and instated the "Your server but if you don't run the default rules, it won't be ranked" which is just a glorified way of running a DICE server but it has your name on it instead.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    It kinda sucks that the only servers I can find for BF3 are Metro 24/7. Is the situation better for BF4?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    It kinda sucks that the only servers I can find for BF3 are Metro 24/7. Is the situation better for BF4?

Depends on what you want to play and at what time of day.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

Depends on what you want to play and at what time of day.

Depends on region, for sure. In US West, there are a bunch of servers running CQ(L)/Dom. So, around these parts, the situation is better than BF3 and Hardline (this one irks me...I really like playing Hardline >.< )

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Sorry for the double-post, buuuuuuut...

Private servers are coming to BF5!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1td7eZfXAtU

EDIT - ooo...custom damage scaling options? I'm imagining a server with weapon restricted to a 5-round sniper rifle locked to iron sights...but damage set to max. Basically, run it as a DM/TDM instagib server.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    So that's like a year late?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    And now there's a new game mode for the current Tides of War objectives: Outpost.

Here's Jackfrags going over the mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehMzvcW803k

I absolutely love this mode. In a way, it kind of reminds me a bit of one of the maps in Heroes of the Storm (capture and hold forts to damage an otherwise impenetrable enemy Nexus). Also, a lack of heavy armor and abundant air vehicles definitely appeals to what I like about Battlefield games. I dunno...I really, REALLY hope this mode comes back as a permanent game mode, because I can see myself riding this one until the population peters out.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Why are you playing Battlefield if not for the vehicles? Just go play Call of Duty or something.

Can we all just play the Wake Island demo in 1942 some more? man those were the days.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Why are you playing Battlefield if not for the vehicles? Just go play Call of Duty or something.

Can we all just play the Wake Island demo in 1942 some more? man those were the days.

Call o' Duty guns sound like airsoft guns and the movement just doesn't feel right. Besides, I've always preferred the infantry side of things in every Battlefield game since Bad Company 2 (probably why I liked Hardline so much).

Also, the bombers that get an instant 5-10 bang by bombing the spawn in point at match start can go get fucked by a rusty anchor.

• Options
    Conquest, 64 players, good maps. It's not that hard DICE! *tear*

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Conquest sucks.

Rush is where it's at. Give me concentrated action with a good mix of infantry and vehicle combat.

• Options
    Conquest sucks.

Rush is where it's at. Give me concentrated action with a good mix of infantry and vehicle combat.

Rush is a really fun game mode for spin off titles

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I just want Battlefield Vietnam 2. Bad Company 2 Vietnam was good, but I want a proper sequel.

M16s, AK47s, helicopters and PT boats. What else do you need?

• Options
    Conquest sucks.

Even in 4, 1, and now 5 I find conquest to be empty feeling maps with people chasing each other around capping uncontested flags.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Conquest sucks.

Even in 4, 1, and now 5 I find conquest to be empty feeling maps with people chasing each other around capping uncontested flags.

you'll note in my earlier post where i said DICE has to make good maps.

:\

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SledGodSledGod Registered User regular
    Fortress was a fun novelty but Outpost feels like a legit game mode. Arras needs work but Mercury is pretty solid.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    big bfv patch today with 2 new maps, big SMG changes (another MMG nerf), etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/cz1hiw/battlefield_v_update_44_available_today/

253J736.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Free weekend going on, plus two new Pacific maps released which are pretty fun. Wake Island comes out in December
    https://youtu.be/LCZLabOywYU

• Options
    Hrm...I need to play the whole Theater of War thing. Can't have enough bolt-action carbines for my medics!

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    Not a fan of the meat grinder these maps demand. Forces head on attacks in many places, which aren't my preferred tactic. Also kind of annoyed that both maps clearly have battleships with no way to use artillery support beyond the basic leader reinforcement option for light sector artillery.

• Options
    it's insane to me that Wake wasn't the first thing they released

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    it's insane to me that Wake wasn't the first thing they released

Yeah me and a buddy were excited to jump back into this over the weekend, but didn't realise that Wake Island wasn't in there yet. Much disappointment, but we still had some fun with the game again.

• Options
    I do have to say though, I was never a Breakthrough fan until Iwo Jima; the initial naval landings pushing up onto the beaches with tanks, then fighting through the caves and tunnels before finally taking the mountains really feels epic

• Options
    Honestly, when I popped on to play it last week, the Breakthrough mode feels like it's a feast or famine kind of mode. On attack, either your team is cohesive and steamrolls up to the final sector or you're going to be stonewalled at the first sector and can't even make it to the beach whereupon you spend the next 30 minutes slowly bleeding to death as your team abandons the server and you're left fighting a 14 vs 27+ match.

When it works, it's amazing feeling. When it doesn't, it really doesn't work and makes me question whether I even want to try playing Breakthrough at all. Sure would be nice if there were a mid-match autobalancer...

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    OK Conquest on those two Pacific maps is far more likeable.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I can’t say I like the two pacific maps much at all. Hopefully wake island is more my style.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Wake Island trailer is out, coming Dec 12th
    https://youtu.be/71Kthe0xmmA

• Options
    god they should have put wake out before the other two maps

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    So, it's been a whiles since there was major news (aside from the disaster that was the TTK patch and the subsequent reversal last month or whatever)...but this seems kinda big:
    https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/battlefield/battlefield-5/news/the-future-of-battlefield-v

The short version: Battlefield 5 is being put on end-of-life after June.

• Options
    Dang, I didn't think it did that badly. I guess it's because they tried to go with the "GaaS" route?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    It's been nearly 3 years, that seems like a good run for this type of thing. And i've loved all the free maps since launch.

Think i'm ready for a more bf4'ish type game or futuristic next.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    I liked BFV, but I always felt it was content poor. Less time and resources need to be spent on modes that no one plays (the campaign, coop, battle royal) and more on the core game (the multiplayer).

• Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    It's been nearly 3 years, that seems like a good run for this type of thing. And i've loved all the free maps since launch.

Ok I guess I lost track of time, I felt we were just about to get into the 2 year anniversary :P

This makes much more sense then, I only see them as announcing their last content, but not stopping all updates/support.

• Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

Ok I guess I lost track of time, I felt we were just about to get into the 2 year anniversary :P

This makes much more sense then, I only see them as announcing their last content, but not stopping all updates/support.

Satsumomo is correct...BF5 is only 1.5 years old (it released November 20th, 2018). Not sure where Mulletude is coming up with 3 years.

And they're going to keep on rotating the Company Coin objectives and updating the anti-cheat, but considering that the game will be missing Eastern Front and the US actions on mainland Europe, it feels like DICE is pulling the plug earlier than anybody expected.