As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Pilotable mechs? Living ships!?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »
    There is a platform on every space station that lets you customize your character, so soon as you leave your starting planet head to the space station

You can also unlock the blueprint for this and add it to your base.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Is that fixing a bug that caused the texture quality to reduce? Cause I am getting that a lot and it is annoying.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Totally nailed this landing

https://youtu.be/4iy30sTkLHU

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Is that fixing a bug that caused the texture quality to reduce? Cause I am getting that a lot and it is annoying.

they actually did the opposite, and created more circumstances where textures load at lower quality to prevent crashes. looks like they're still trying to get this thing stable, then we'll see some less frequent, bigger patches with QoL and gameplay stuff

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    That might be what it is. I mean that sometimes I'll notice textures are really bad so I go in the options and the quality has been changed to the lowest setting.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I love the aesthetic changes to the cockpits a lot.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I love the aesthetic changes to the cockpits a lot.

I've never owned a hauler, exotic, or fighter, but the shuttle and explorer have rad cockpits. I especially like how big and open the explorer's is, and how the huge window lets me see everywhere and track enemies easily while dogfighting.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Are those of you playing in VR playing your run exclusively in VR? I want to but I’m making snail’s progress because I can’t wear my headset for more than like 40 minutes before I turn into an overheating sweat monster.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mines in my very cold basement so it's not too bad, although I'm sure when I'm in my bathrobe, wearing VR it's special sight to behold.

Kinda like a out-of-work, rounder weapon-x

• Options
    Are those of you playing in VR playing your run exclusively in VR? I want to but I’m making snail’s progress because I can’t wear my headset for more than like 40 minutes before I turn into an overheating sweat monster.

Yeah, I haven't played in pancake mode since Beyond released. I spent 6 hours straight playing several days ago! I have high cheekbones so those hurt due to the headset kind of resting on them, but otherwise it was great

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    They fixed the weird snapping issues with landing pads, so I've been diving back in and man, I really hope we don't get another biome shuffle as my new planet is the best. The rocky cylindrical formations found throughout are great for underwater bases, as they provide an out of the way place for the base computer, landing pad and solar farm. I'm really glad jumping off a cliff with the wire worked first try while powering my underwater base, now I just need to set up my recently acquired short-range teleporters and we're golden. Plus, Sentinels are listed as 'low security' and I haven't seen one at all!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    VR still runs like butts on my i5 6500 w/ 1060 6gb. Am I doing something wrong? Using an HTC Vive.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    VR still runs like butts on my i5 6500 w/ 1060 6gb. Am I doing something wrong? Using an HTC Vive.

I dunno, it runs great on my i7 8700K w/ 1080Ti and Oculus Rift. I don't know how far apart in performance our hardware is though, so maybe my perception is just skewed

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Mine is still garbage with a standard clock 6600K and a 2070 Super.

It runs super smooth if I'm stood in the same spot. I can spin around plenty and everything is cushty. As soon as I move to somewhere which requires loading in some new terrain or similar then it's suuuuper laggy. Flying around especially is a complete shit show.

• Options
    I'm happy to report that the tech that recharges your starship's launch fuel is pretty good - I was expecting a trickle charge but the ratio seems fair to me. Now I just need to build the antimatter generator and I'm set to do some more exploration.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah I was pretty pleased with that. I usually just land at a place and go off to find the buried tech modules a bit and then I'm good to go. I didn't realize there was an antimatter generator. I'll need to look into that.
    I'm just starting to get a base setup. I was mostly doing current base as a temporary base to get through missions and then find a new base when I found a pretty area/area for good mining or whatever.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    The antimatter harvester costs 20 salvaged tech at the Space Anomaly, and one of the ingredients is 5 Storm Crystals, so that's going to be a journey to collect.

• Options
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I admire and respect the continued dedication this team has shown

At some point I’m gonna have to dig back into this

Hopefully my save isn’t completely borked by all the new changes

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    once more unto the breach?

i'll probably start over with my VR permadeath run. those first few hours are just so immersive

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It looks like this is only for PC?

Looks like its releasimg tomorrow for XBone.

Reading the release statement is key to understanding, I see.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    How do you get the exosuit refiner?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Okay, looks like you purchase it on the Anomaly from the exosuit upgrade guy.

In case anyone else had the same question.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I'm really glad I can junk the beaten-up starship I didn't like, now if I see an exotic during my travels I'll actually have space for it. The planet's atmosphere no longer clipping though freighters is also nice to see, that routinely broke my immersion.

That said, I wish there were multiple manual save slots, as not 10 minutes into me checking out the new update a bug occurred that changed the colour of my beloved hauler and I had to roll it back.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just spent 10 minutes playing in VR on the PC. Hot damn was that cool. I'm running well under minimum spec though, and crashed after about 10 minutes. Gotta upgrade the graphics card and try again.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Finally had a chance to really dig into the update and holy fuck it's great. Accidentally spent like 6 extra hours playing yesterday; meant to go to bed at 9 but whoops it was suddenly 3am.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I have a vr headset on the way so I'm gonna use that as a excuse to jump in. Haven't played since before the Beyond update.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I have a vr headset in the way so I'm gonna use that as a excuse to jump in. Haven't played since before the Beyond update.

It's pretty awesome, you really feel like you're inside your spaceship or base. Meeting some of the larger wildlife on planets is pretty awe-inspiring, whereas when one sneak attacks you it's fucking terrifying. Even if you don't decide to play this in VR much, I'd still recommend trying it out.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Mine is still garbage with a standard clock 6600K and a 2070 Super.

It runs super smooth if I'm stood in the same spot. I can spin around plenty and everything is cushty. As soon as I move to somewhere which requires loading in some new terrain or similar then it's suuuuper laggy. Flying around especially is a complete shit show.

That's weird to hear, I have just a 2070 non-super and it ran amazingly for me. Although I was on a CV1 Rift, so maybe not as demanding as your headset.

• Options
    Okay, so I've put about 30 hours into this game in the past few days and it's a pretty great update. I've also finally finished all the base quests for the first time ever except the exocraft one (the final armorer mission was a bitch with just a regular boltcaster, but with a full stack of ammo and some creative use of trees and movement I was able to kill the walker), and I'm nearly finished upgrading my exosuit slots and I have maxed tech for my suit, multi-tool and ship. I've got a tiny farm set up, gotten a bit of cash, stacks of basic materials (carbon, oxygen, ferrite dust, sodium, & chromatic metal) several recipes unlocked, and soon I'll look into buying some more frigates and unlocking freighter tech and sending them on missions.

@PiptheFair I don't know if you'd think the inventory UI is still dogshit, but they've definitely improved it a TON with this update by adding basic features to it they should have added years ago. I figure you've moved on and don't have the time or energy to check out the changes, but I thought I'd let you know about em anyways since you asked in the PC game thread.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I will look into

I WANT this game to be enjoyable to me

• Options
    I still can't find NipBuds

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

...Are you a space cop? You have to tell me if you're a space cop.

• Options
    Me? I'm just a simple country farmer spaceman trying to make it on this great big world. And that world. And that world over there...

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    there's still a terrible glitch if you're playing in VR with the HUD off, that means you can't navigate in space even by sight because huge black boxes where UI stuff would be overlay the planets. even fighting pirates is impossible because whenever they jet across the sightline of a planet or moon, everything goes black

i'll report it again but, man. seems like an easy fix.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options

Same, but I keep looking

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I feel like I've missed too much stuff to go back to NMS now. Still happy the people who are still playing it are getting lots and lots of neat stuff.

• Options
    to me it's always that game you can just start over with. the joy is in the initial orientation, the lonesome survival stuff. a lot of the new stuff i'll never tap into but i'll be glad in three months when i feel like playing and get surprised by an extraplanetary merchant selling organic ship growth hormone or whatever

sC4Q4nq.jpg