Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Its would be more expensive to include an adequate cooling system for the smaller Lite if it was running on docked clocks for 1080p output. Introducing 720p docked would require a new profile that devs would have to adapt to, since currently its either 720p portable or 1080p docked and they can make assumptions for each situation. (Like, expecting touch screen input, scaling the UI differently, even Astral Chain switches AA based on mode.)* Although I wonder whether Nintendo even wants what 720p docked would do for their brand.

So yeah I'll agree that no-one asked for undockability as a feature, but plenty would choose the trade-off if offered.

Yes you can pick 720p and 480p for docked output, but that just downscales from a 1080p render, the games have no idea about the resolution change and keep pushing at higher clocks.)

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    First Review of Hori's Joy-cons for Giants

https://youtu.be/YDcl6Zwx1Ck

TLDW: it's good, but someone needs to make a proper case for it.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've played it docked a totally of maybe 2 hours ever. Easy trade off for me if I didn't already have one

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Boy, you'll really look like a doofus playing this ring thing. God bless you, Nintendo.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    This thread talking about TMNT and I go open SNES online to be disappointed.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Boy, you'll really look like a doofus playing this ring thing. God bless you, Nintendo.

To be fair, the game doesn’t look half bad. But I won’t use that ring accessory. I have too much dignity for that.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Did SNES TMNT IV have different levels based on the difficulty? I know some Konami games did this, like the secret final boss in Contra III.

Anyways I thought it was still pretty challenging to beat on hard mode.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh wait... I just remembered the tmnt tournament fighters. When Nintendo!
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Did SNES TMNT IV have different levels based on the difficulty? I know some Konami games did this, like the secret final boss in Contra III.

Not that I remember, but I just remember the game being like "cool you beat me, but try to beat me on hard" and then when you beat it on hard you load into the sewers and play against the other player in an underground dojo turtle fight supervised by splinter until you turn it off or reset.

I know the arcade version had a few different levels though

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

TMNT IV had the same levels on every difficulty. I didn’t care it was easy - I just enjoyed playing it.

Speaking of Contra 3, my greatest gaming moment was beating that secret final boss with no continues. I’ve never been that “in the zone” ever since. I think I blew all my gaming power in one go.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

They sold me the moment that they showed that the sticks weren't exactly identical to the ones Nintendo is currently using in the Joycons and presumably the Switch Lite. Everything else is gravy.

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

TMNT IV had the same levels on every difficulty. I didn’t care it was easy - I just enjoyed playing it.

Speaking of Contra 3, my greatest gaming moment was beating that secret final boss with no continues. I’ve never been that “in the zone” ever since. I think I blew all my gaming power in one go.

A buddy and I got so good at Contra III, that sometimes when we were bored, we’d look at each other, and say “1-2-3?” And then we would go beat the game on all 3 levels of difficulty one after the other. I still believe it was impossible to be better at that game than we were. We could have done it with our eyes closed.

EDIT to ad this free to start Kirby game is not terrible. Too bad it’s Kirby, my least favourite Nintendo franchise. Would totally play a Nintendo designed game like this with a different style.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Oh man that hori joycon controller looks awesome. It looks like basically cutting the pro controller in half and using it instead of joy cons...which...is on paper pretty incredible.

As someone with huge hands, the cramp of using the joycons (either detached in docked or portable) is a pretty significant issue! If Nintendo released a Switch XL I would be first in line, as the 3DS XL was what actually allowed me to play it at all.

But that hori pad would be a good replacement. I skimmed through the video, but it isn't super clear if you can use them wirelessly? Or if they need to be attached. I like to use my Switch while I'm on the treadmill and if I could have one of these in each hand like the joycons, that'd be all the better.

It doesn't look like the two halves attach in any way to make a single controller, which would have probably been an engineering nightmare anyway, but I'm curious if they're the right size to fit in cases that already exist for the pro controller (or xb1/360 controllers that have almost identical profiles).

Looking it up, it sounds like they don't work wirelessly, and only work attached in handheld mode. That's a bummer, but I guess understandable.

Maybe someday we will get a pro-like controller that splits for handheld mode, but works wirelessly.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    For a connected version you'd just need a center rail or something, its not worth the headache doing it otherwise.

AKA hail puppycon.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I can't link the Kickstarter, but I came across a group selling wireless, wall-plug docks for the Switch. Basically it looks like a AC adaptor with the input/outputs to plug your Switch into any TV. They've WAY passed their goal and it looks promising, although a bit pricey at $60 (which is still less than a normal dock I guess).

Look up for Genki: Covert Dock if you're interested. The KS ends in 24 hours, so don't wait.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I don't know why they bothered to make the Lite.

Because the Switch isn't portable enough yet and they are making a mad dash towards Iwata's vision of uniting handheld and home console.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I was just thinking more about Ring Fit Adventure (which sounds like a worse name every time I hear it) and I really hope there's an option to buy the controller parts with a digital download code rather than a cart - it's definitely something I could see myself playing for half an hour or so before I play something else, and I'm getting less and less enthused about swapping carts for short play sessions like that.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    TMNT on the NES is good, and I find its difficulty to be overstated. I can't beat Castlevania I or III, but put TMNT in front of me, and I'm getting within spitting distance of the Technodrome at worst.

TMNT II was good, and I miss my copy. III is an overlooked gem, surpassing everything about its predecessor while remaining on 8bit hardware, and was sadly (but not unjustifiably) overshadowed by Turtles in Time.

TMNT IV is hard as hell... if you want an ending, that is. Always hated it when games -- usually Konami-- pulled the rug out from under you like that. Worse is that beating it on Easy, they made it sound like you'd get something for beating it on Normal. Oh so wrong.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I look at the Lite as a secondary Switch. As in, you could buy it as well as a backup when someone is hogging the regular one.

And you can't use RingFit with it. There's no way you'd be able to see the small screen as you're hopping around making suggestive ring-based movements.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

They sold me the moment that they showed that the sticks weren't exactly identical to the ones Nintendo is currently using in the Joycons and presumably the Switch Lite. Everything else is gravy.

The thumbnail for this vid makes it look like a Gamegear for some reason. Which these controllers resemble a lot on their own anyway.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man, I didn't find it that hard. I wonder if I should go back and replay TMNT4 again. I remember at least for two summers, my cousin and I spent like days playing that game from beginning to end over and over.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I just bought the Wizards and Warriors series on Ebay for $33. Help.

Ironsword (with Fabio on the box) was alright, 3 is the one that made me motion sick and I thought sucked.

Original is still the best IMO. Those early forest levels were awesome to fly around in.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I remember seeing the WW magazine ads and going ooh ahh. The only one I played was WW3 and omg. That game is impossible without a guide. Was Ironsword better?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I think part of the comments about TMNT1 being hard is that there are parts so badly designed that you literally can't get through them without being damaged. If you're an expert at the game, you just sort of adjust for that, but if you're bad at it, it definitely made for some problems.
    I recall finding it hard but played so much that I could usually get to the Technodrome, but I don't think I ever beat Shredder.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I just wish the Lite had all features from the big brother, like HD Rumble.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Look if there's something all the TMNT games should delete is that stupid Shredder deMutant gun. Like why the hell have a one hit kill move in a place where you're often down to a few lives is beyond shitty.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I just bought the Wizards and Warriors series on Ebay for $33. Help.

Ironsword (with Fabio on the box) was alright, 3 is the one that made me motion sick and I thought sucked.

Original is still the best IMO. Those early forest levels were awesome to fly around in.

There was something about those games that caused motion sickness.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ironsword is pretty good, or at least that's what nostalgia's telling me. I remember when you hit a boss, the entire screen would pulsate through psychadelic colors.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I watched some of W&W3's ending on YouTube. It gets trippy.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Ironsword's title theme was too good for Ironsword.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I remember seeing the WW magazine ads and going ooh ahh. The only one I played was WW3 and omg. That game is impossible without a guide. Was Ironsword better?

Yes, not as convoluted a map to navigate. No real needing to hunt for just the right window to squeeze your ass in to find the next power up/outfit and the bosses weren't as frustrating.

It's no masterpiece, but it was an enjoyable action platformer with some twists and a good soundtrack.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    GameXplain did a video on Link's Awakening where they give some details on what is changed/added in the game.

There's been some concern that the game wouldn't be worth $60 for being as "small" as it is, a lil' Game Boy game. They say there are some extras here and things that could increase your play time.

I don't consider these things spoilers myself, but I know some people would, and want to go in totally blind. So I will put it behind spoiler tags.
    - The original game only had 14 hearts total: 3 at the start, 8 from dungeons, and 12 heart pieces that netted you 3 more. The remake has 20 hearts max, adding an additional 24 heart pieces to find. They may have also added more secret seashells.

- The minigames are a bit fleshed out. The trendy game has more to collect, including multiple heart pieces as well as figurines to collect. Apparently they are monsters from the game, particularly the cameo ones like goombas?

- There is a hero mode. Hearts will not drop at all, nor can you find apples (a new healing addition to this remake). You HAVE to visit fairy fountains, or have a fairy in a bottle, or collect a big heart for a refill. If past precedent is anything to go by, you might possibly take more damage from enemies too? Not sure. Maybe they thought no healing was a big enough challenge. And...I am going to take this as an anti-confirm on a Master Quest with remixed content. I guess they could still surprise us, though.

- Also there were no bottles in the original game, and there are now. More new things to find and use.

- There are more warp points this time, and you can choose from a menu instead of needing to warp repeatedly to whatever the next warp point is.

- Little QOL changes like the game remembers puzzles you have solved...if you have to light a torch to open a door in a dungeon, in the original you would have to do it every time you enter the room, now the puzzle stays solved.

Information came from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJWlYA-ATMw

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So what's the best handle/grip thingie for the handheld Switch?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

I cannot swear this is the best in existence, but a friend bought this one, and I held it in my hands and said "ooh this is nice," and I bought it for myself, and now I hold it in my own hands and I say "ooh yeah this is still nice."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C63NZPP/

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

I cannot swear this is the best in existence, but a friend bought this one, and I held it in my hands and said "ooh this is nice," and I bought it for myself, and now I hold it in my own hands and I say "ooh yeah this is still nice."

That seems cool and all, but it's also one large piece. I assumed most grips for the Switch attached to the JoyCons themselves so you could still slip them in and out when you needed them and the JoyCons would just become easier to hold and use.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

That seems cool and all, but it's also one large piece. I assumed most grips for the Switch attached to the JoyCons themselves so you could still slip them in and out when you needed them and the JoyCons would just become easier to hold and use.

Yeah, I think part of the purpose is also being a protective shell, shock absorber in case you drop it. It definitely adds stability and feels more like you're holding a Wii U game pad.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

Yeah, I think part of the purpose is also being a protective shell, shock absorber in case you drop it. It definitely adds stability and feels more like you're holding a Wii U game pad.

I’m happy with the Switch, but the Wii U game pad was a delight to hold. Wouldn’t have minded a bit more weight to reduce the feeling of flimsiness, but it was extremely comfortable.

• Options
    They all seem to span the back of the Switch one way or another. The only one I've seen attaching directly to the joy-con was someone's home printed stuff. Or just use those Hori mega-cons which are already shaped like a big grip.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I've used the Skull & Co grip and Satisfye's, and for my money Satisfye's is the way to go. The earlier version had some issues with scuffing the backplate, the new revision looks like it fixes that.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    So I had pre-ordered the Daemon X Machina Hori Joycon controller, but today's release date and...no shipment date set from Amazon. And now they're listed as unavailable. Speaking to a rep, they said it simply hadn't arrived at the fulfillment center, but I'm not holding my breath. Wouldn't be the first time Amazon has screwed something like this up, and probably won't be the last.