As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    https://venturebeat.com/2019/08/02/e3-data-leak/
    There is probably enough meat on this issue for it to be spun off into its own thread, but it does pertain directly to E3 2019 (and very likely beyond)

ESA have basically doxxed 2000 attendees (journalists, analysts and 'influencers' alike) of E3 2019 as it was discovered. The original source itself hosted by the ESA (originally for the purposes of contact between orgs regarding E3) has been taken down but it's almost completely certain that copies will remain on the internet (and in possession of undesirables) for as long as the internet continues to exist.
    The ESA have released a pithy statement on the issue, but given the scope of companies involved (not only game journalist sites but also the likes of American and multinational mainstream groups like Alphabet, Amazon, Tencent, BBC) all roads will likely point to some sort of hammer down, whether it be a class-action lawsuit or the full force of GDPR.

I will say if this leads to the death of E3 as we know it, as much as I enjoy following it every year I won't mourn its loss.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Uhhhh....Yikes. That seems like a big bad fuck up of extreme wtf level of how did you even.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Good thing that happened in an industry with absolutely no tendency toward targeted harassment campaigns from over-entitled customers!

...oh.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    And, according to rumblings on twitter, the gators are already harassing folks. Wheee!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    There's no legal argument in the world that could justify hosting that fucking file on the internet. Holy shit ESA what the hell?

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And, according to rumblings on twitter, the gators are already harassing folks. Wheee!

that's extremely sad. Then again, I remember reading on Resetera that someone was being harassed on his JOB for posting his opinion about the EGS. I mean, the internet seems like mistake.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    As an update, 2004 and 2006 attendee info is out there on the net as well. Though in those instances, it wasn't the ESA necessarily being stupid by just uploading it to the internet themselves.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    What would that mean though, is that a hack or

• Options
    No idea. The E3 Media team disclosed it as part of a statement today. They got the attendee contact info list from 2019 taken down from some sites (the ones they know of) but in that process discovered that the 2004 and 2006 info was out there as well somehow.

The ESA has a lot to answer for, at any rate. They clearly have shit for security.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/e3_reportedly_set_to_be_rebranded_as_a_fan_media_and_influencer_festival_next_year

So they're going to try and retool E3 yet another time. And it doesn't even seem to have games as the forefront anymore.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/e3_reportedly_set_to_be_rebranded_as_a_fan_media_and_influencer_festival_next_year

So they're going to try and retool E3 yet another time. And it doesn't even seem to have games as the forefront anymore.

"In a pitch deck reportedly intended for the lobbying group’s members, ideas including "experience hubs" and influencer and paid celebrity deals were shared, with one example suggesting that members of the Los Angeles Lakers could play a basketball video game in front of fans."

That's some major flop sweat right there.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So next time they can leak fan personal info instead of journalist personal info, huh?

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    So next time they can leak fan personal info instead of journalist personal info, huh?

Sell, not leak. Or both!

• Options
    Not sure where else to put this. So, not only is Sony choosing not to attend E3 this year (because they disagree with the show's vision for this year), but now this is happening:

Soooooo yeah. Not great.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    E2.5

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    You know it's bad if Geoff "The Face" Keighley is bailing ship too

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Maybe make a reasonably-budgeted event about electronic entertainment instead of a mega-budgeted ultra-commercial advertising event dominated by the biggest, richest publishers?

• Options
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I wonder if it's in protest of the doxxing. He sounds like he's trying to be diplomatic about the actual reason he's not going.

Zek on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I wonder if it's in protest of the doxxing. He sounds like he's trying to be diplomatic about the actual reason he's not going.

Well shit, I didn't even know about this. How far back does that leak go? I used to go to E3 with eToychest, but that was back in 2005/2006.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I went in 2001 and 2005; feeling like I've dodged a bullet a bit.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It was around August 2019, last year's E3. The ESA website had a spreadsheet filled with the personal and contact info of tons of (all?) press attendees, including YouTubers and streamers, from E3 2019, available to download by anyone. Unsecured.

Some journo for a small site found it, contacted the ESA, the link was pulled, the journo posted about it, then people went and got the file anyway because, even though the link was gone, the file was still there.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Geoff Keighly was at E3? I guess that's what I get for only watching the major keynotes.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    It was around August 2019, last year's E3. The ESA website had a spreadsheet filled with the personal and contact info of tons of (all?) press attendees, including YouTubers and streamers, from E3 2019, available to download by anyone. Unsecured.

Some journo for a small site found it, contacted the ESA, the link was pulled, the journo posted about it, then people went and got the file anyway because, even though the link was gone, the file was still there.

And then the media blamed the independent (at the time) journalist instead of the ESA and accused her of doxxing and sent her constant venomous hate messages. And then refused to give her credit for breaking the story because she wasn't in the in-crowd and gave credit to Kotaku instead when they re-reported it. It was really despicable and stupid.

Also, it's worse. The ESA had multiple years of press attendees information on the site going back for a while, and not just the initial one reported on it was later found out.

But yeah, they had the names, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and physical addressed of nearly every journalist in spreadsheets in plain text unsecured on the site.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Geoff Keighly was at E3? I guess that's what I get for only watching the major keynotes.

Yeah I had no clue he had any sort of official role with E3.

I mean I knew he was there given his profession. I just didn’t know he had some sort of involvement with the proceedings.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

i imagine that played a part, but it sounds like he gave them a chance to pitch the vision for this years show and what ever they put forward was ultimately the final nail in the coffin for him.
    Axen wrote: »

I mean I knew he was there given his profession. I just didn’t know he had some sort of involvement with the proceedings.

he produced/hosted the E3 Colosseum thing. basically ESA's official coverage of the event. interviews with devs and the like, streamed and with a live audience of attendees. it wasn't anything particularly special so you didn't miss out on much.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Geoff entered the darkened chamber where the High Lords of the ESA held court. Despite having been summoned to this place countless times the sense of wrongness he felt upon entering only ever seemed to become more overbearing as the years went by.

“My Lords,” he said while kneeling. “What is thy bidding for this year’s E3?”

The cowled figures seated at the Great Table began to stir. If they had names Geoff knew them not, but the one in the center he mentally referred to as The Speaker. As far as he was aware it seemed to be the only one of the High Lords that communicated with crude Human speech. Though the sound was like cracking ice.

“We sHaLl dO WhAT we HAvE aLWaYs dONe.”, The Speaker uttered. Geoff suppressed the urge to shiver.

“But my Lords,” Geoff pleaded. “We can’t keep doing the same thing! The Expo is dying and it must change!”

Several of the cowled figures hissed in revulsion.

“wE dO NoT ChANGe!” The Speaker shouted. It spit out that last word like one might do a curse.

The rest of the cowled figures began to shriek in unison. A sound the likes of which no mortal should ever hear.

Geoff’s nerves broke before the cowled figures finished their unnatural wailing and he ran for the door. After all he had seen and heard there was no force in Heaven or Hell that could compel him to enter that chamber again.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

Agreed--to be clear, I know Geoff Keighly was at E3. Almost half of Achievement Hunter is at E3, why wouldn't Geoff Keighly be? I could be at E3 if I tried hard enough and spent enough money.

I had no idea he had an official or unofficial regular posting at the event though, any more than people from Achievement Hunter. Unless he's gushing about Hideo Kojima or something, I never expect to see him at it, but here him afterwards give his thoughts along with thousands of other industry-adjacent people.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    He did the big YouTube E3 hosting job too back when that was going. Handling all the between Press Conference interviews and reveals.

• Options
    Er.
    iam8bit has fully dropped out of E3 2020, announcing over Twitter that the company will no longer be working alongside the E3 team to deliver the overhauled expo floor experience planned for the 2020 show this June.

“It’s with mixed emotions that @iam8bit has decided to resign as Creative Directors of what was to be an evolutionary #E32020 floor experience,” tweeted the iam8bit team. “We’ve produced hundreds of gaming + community events and it was a dream to be involved with E3. We wish the organizers the best of luck.”

The company was on board as the creative directors for E3’s showfloor experience, an overhaul and partnership that the ESA said in January was intended to “shake things up” and create a more involved expo floor experience with “ surprise guests, amazing stage experiences, access to insiders and experiential zones.”

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/359192/E3_loses_creative_directors_iam8bit_months_before_show.php

Not looking good.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Huh, I wonder what happened. E3 sure as hell needs a shake-up to re-engage interest.

It sucks that E3 is slowly going away, but it's just becoming better and better for companies to just produce online bite sized content to show off what they're working on. It's vastly cheaper and there's less pressure for live demonstrations.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Weird thing about this one is I don't think anyone ever announced they were creative directors, did they?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    This has been an almost uncomfortable wake-up call for me realizing I don't know who any of these people are, and if I do, I never see them despite watching E3 each year.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    While sad, I really hope Sony still do a big theater showing for the PS5 this year. Watching in the theaters has been a highlight since the 1st one revealed FF7R.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They've already confirmed they won't be there.

• Options
    While sad, I really hope Sony still do a big theater showing for the PS5 this year. Watching in the theaters has been a highlight since the 1st one revealed FF7R.

I'm sure they will, they just won't be doing it at E3.

Considering their last E3 was...a live flute performance, and a twenty minute venue change after a slightly shorter The Last of Us 2 trailer, maybe that's for the better. Sony will still be at other conferences, like TGS most obviously, and they're probably less inclined towards live-performance-venue-swapping spectacle at those.

• Options
    And on top of this, organizers have said that they're watching the coronavirus situation closely.

If this year's E3 gets cancelled and everyone switches to doing online stuff, the organization's going to have to work even harder to convince everyone of the benefits of showing up the next year.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    the organization's going to have to work even harder to convince everyone of the benefits of showing up the next year.
    I mean if you want to get your personal contact info out there, attending E3 seems like an easy way.

• Options
    I hadn't even thought about COVID-19 actually. That's one problem that's going to be more pressing for TGS than E3 come the summer.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    the organization's going to have to work even harder to convince everyone of the benefits of showing up the next year.
    I mean if you want to get your personal contact info out there, attending E3 seems like an easy way.

13sydxkxj797.png

This discussion has been closed.