As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Far Side is coming back?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    kittens meow at fudgin' everything

a habit my little boy picked up was after I put food in his bowl, he'd sit and meow at it a little before he ate it

now that he's a big grown chunky boy, he will sit in front of his food bowl and meep a few times like he's saying grace before he eats

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    My understanding is that while dogs recognize humans as a different species, cats just think that humans are a huge, weird-looking cat.

It’s why they bring you dead animals, or just randomly start licking you.

As far as they know you’re a cat who can’t hunt and dosn’t clean themselves. They effectively think they’re your caregiver.

I don't buy into this theory at all because they use different sounds to communicate with cats than they do to communicate with people.

They think of humans as particularly pathetic cats.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    if i'm such a shitty hunter why am i the only one bringing all the food that you're always demanding huh

riddle me that cat

i'm the best and the hunts always good you ungrateful punk ass

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    My understanding is that while dogs recognize humans as a different species, cats just think that humans are a huge, weird-looking cat.

As far as they know you’re a cat who can’t hunt and dosn’t clean themselves. They effectively think they’re your caregiver.

I don't buy into this theory at all because they use different sounds to communicate with cats than they do to communicate with people.

To be fair, by cat standards, I'm sure we are a pretty pathetic bunch.
    I mean, most of us can't even lick ourselves clean. What's up with that?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Pathetic cats that can also provide body warmth and open can food.

We're useful idiots.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    see317 wrote: »

When was the last time you gave it a really good try, though.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    If cats think humans are cats does that mean they think all other species are cats as well? The world is just 100% cats to them? And if not then why are humans the special ones. I am sceptical of this theory about cat logic.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Kittens meow at their mothers

That's kittens though, they mew constantly. There's been observations of cat colonies and the only times they make the distinctive meow noise is when a human is involved.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cat ontology is probably not very systematic.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

2 months ago when my water heater crapped out and I was willing to try just about anything while waiting for my replacement thermostats to show up.
    I have not gotten any more flexible since then.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

You mean meowtaphysics?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I assure you, I am a fucking dogshit hunter.

You hunt dogshit for breakfast?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    If cats think humans are cats does that mean they think all other species are cats as well? The world is just 100% cats to them? And if not then why are humans the special ones. I am sceptical of this theory about cat logic.

https://www.inverse.com/article/59488-cats-care-about-humans-in-new-study

The most recent study done on this shows that cats bond to their humans as caregivers and parents

It wouldn't be that crazy for them to think "well I'm a cat so my mom must be a cat"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The general idea is that cat interactions with humans are adapted behaviors from their kitten stage

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    The general idea is that cat interactions with humans are adapted behaviors from their kitten stage

Right

As cats grow in the wild, they stop conversing at each other with meows and use mostly body language

But if they're pets, they continue that behavior

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Buuut I'm sure they distinguish between humans and cats

They don't show the same behaviors towards other adult cats and

Humans are very different and animal cognition is more developed than we generally acknowledge (they need it to survive in their environments)

(Slow posting)

Platy on
  • Options
    Yeah seeing humans as caregivers, because humans give care, =/= thinking humans are cats

• Options
    One thing that still amazes me about cats is how despite being pets for a long time they still aren't actually domesticated and likely never will be. They just know they've got a sweet gig going with humans so they're willing to be around us, but the average cat left to its own devices can survive just fine in the "wild" even if they were a pet.

• Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

They don't meow at other cats. Meowing is only for humans.

Possibly because humans keep ignoring all the scent and motion based communication they're using.

So, communication-deficient cats that can't hunt or clean themselves.

Putting that on the resume right now.

• Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular

Isn't the basis of most human relationships that we lick each other clean because we can't lick ourselves? Stop trying to undermine traditional values.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I can identify from across the apartment what my cats are trying to tell me by the meow they use. The "water dish is empty" meow is distinct from "I'm hungry" is distinct from "My toy is stuck under the refrigerator" is distinct from "My toy went under the pantry door and I can't reach it" is distinct from "the door is closed and there's no reason for that" etc.

This is not unusual for cat owners. Apparently the communication protocol is personal to each cat/human household. My girlfriends cats "I'm hungry" meow sounds more like my cats "You're really starting to piss me off and I'm getting annoyed, nearly violently so, last warning asshole" meow.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

Cat deontology is even more of a mess

• Options
    expendable wrote: »
    I can identify from across the apartment what my cats are trying to tell me by the meow they use. The "water dish is empty" meow is distinct from "I'm hungry" is distinct from "My toy is stuck under the refrigerator" is distinct from "My toy went under the pantry door and I can't reach it" is distinct from "the door is closed and there's no reason for that" etc.

This is not unusual for cat owners. Apparently the communication protocol is personal to each cat/human household. My girlfriends cats "I'm hungry" meow sounds more like my cats "You're really starting to piss me off and I'm getting annoyed, nearly violently so, last warning asshole" meow.

Yeah, I recall reading about a study where cat owners listened to cat meows with their own in the mix and they had low accuracy interpreting other cats but very high accuracy for their own

• Options
    edited September 2019
    The cat in our house only has two kinds of meow and one means he wants cuddling and the other louder, more obnoxious and persistent one means Fuck You I'm A Cat I Can Meow All I Want, No I Don't Need Anything And I Won't Shut Up

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I feel like my cats always do the meows like a english speaker would when condescendingly talking to someone when they don't speak english

I WANT

WET

FOOD

IN MY BOWL

TAKE THE FOOD FROM THE CAN

AND PUT IT

IN THE BOWL

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    edit: apparently that link is broken never mind!

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    One of my cats only meows when she wants attention. The other meows for food, to turn on the faucet, to be let outside, for attention, and Just Because.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My cats have a few different meows that I can distinguish.

Generic Attention/food

An outside cat is at the window and this is infuriating. You have 10 seconds to defuse the situation before we redirect our aggression to each other.

I have caught my toy mouse and wish to show it to you.

My tummy hurts and you have 5 seconds to grab the paper towels before i begin horking.

Edit: also Help someone is taking me to the vet! Which sounds much like previous one.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I might need a pet since my sister took her hamster with her and the household is currently petless

• Options
    The cat was always super-desinterested in the hamster which I found strange

Also one time the hamster escaped for a night and carried a sock under the bed and started to rip it apart at the toe

• Options
    The cat was always super-desinterested in the hamster which I found strange

Also one time the hamster escaped for a night and carried a sock under the bed and started to rip it apart at the toe

my cats were never interested in our guinea pig at all

• Options
    I think I would like two guinea pigs if another kid hadn't shown me his guina pig's dick twenty years ago

• Options
    I think I would like two guinea pigs if another kid hadn't shown me his guina pig's dick twenty years ago

thats

Unfortunate

They're really fun pets and make adorable noises

• Options
    I used to think guinea pigs were relatively small but then I saw my aunt's and that thing was huge! Size of a rabbit

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I used to think guinea pigs were relatively small but then I saw my aunt's and that thing was huge! Size of a rabbit

about the same intelligence level too: they recognize their owners and stuff

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    one time when I was about 11 or 12 a neighbor asked me to watch their guinea pigs while they were out of town and one of them died overnight and I was so scared they'd be mad at me but when they got home they said that it was a pretty old guinea pig and it wasn't my fault

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    One of the classics.

tlaz9f39cj23.jpg

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Haven't seen that one

• Options
    one time when I was about 11 or 12 a neighbor asked me to watch their guinea pigs while they were out of town and one of them died overnight and I was so scared they'd be mad at me but when they got home they said that it was a pretty old guinea pig and it wasn't my fault

When my dad was a kid his class at school had some russian hamsters and he took them home over the school holiday and put them in with his own, non-Russian hamster, not realising that other kinds of hamster are not social, and his hamster ate the school hamsters.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Guinea pig babies are awesome because they’re born fully-furred and with open eyes and teeth and able to eat all kinds of food

But their heads are like the size of their bodies, so cute