As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    alas, sadly someone has to win that game. seahawks with some of the worst situational football i've seen in a while, and the rams just utterly shit at pretty much all aspects of football.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Kicking that field goal was super dumb. Way to go pete!

Edit: if the hawks win this it better be by 1 so that the cowardace of the field goal is offset by the cowardace of not going for 2

Ah ha ha ha ha ha

A flawless post.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So uh

Did Rams miss the game winning FG or did something even sillier happen to give Seattle the ball back at the end?

Couldn’t watch, just saw Rams were in range and then Seattle had the ball

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    So uh

Did Rams miss the game winning FG or did something even sillier happen to give Seattle the ball back at the end?

missed 44 yarder. Guy must have tried out for the vikings.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So uh

missed fg

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Oh man their end of game defense is so fucking bad. Just constantly letting the 10 yard out get out of bounds

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    alas, sadly someone has to win that game. seahawks with some of the worst situational football i've seen in a while, and the rams just utterly shit at pretty much all aspects of football.

Some very bad play calling at the end of both halves by Seattle. Wilson played an almost perfect game except for that ridiculous, no good stupid pitch on 3rd down late.

Game was a classic. Can’t wait for the rematch.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Six wrote: »

Some very bad play calling at the end of both halves by Seattle. Wilson played an almost perfect game except for that ridiculous, no good stupid pitch on 3rd down late.

wilson played really well as always but is eternally handicapped by terrified risk-adverse playcalling from carroll.

dude carved the rams to bits and then they run the ball 3 times when a first down wins the game? especially if you're going to play mega soft prevent? shit's embarrassing in 2019, play to win the game man.

like i could maybe understand it at the height of the legion of boom years, their defense was really good. it ain't that anymore, and i'm giving the best guy on my team the chance to make a play every time.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

wilson played really well as always but is eternally handicapped by terrified risk-adverse playcalling from carroll.

dude carved the rams to bits and then they run the ball 3 times when a first down wins the game? especially if you're going to play mega soft prevent? shit's embarrassing in 2019, play to win the game man.

like i could maybe understand it at the height of the legion of boom years, their defense was really good. it ain't that anymore, and i'm giving the best guy on my team the chance to make a play every time.

The biggest knock on Carroll is that he doesn’t ever seem to go for the kill. It’s like he’d rather win a close game than just put it out of reach given the opportunity.

I think the play calling in general has been much better this year and they’re giving Wilson much more opportunities to make plays and drive the offense, which is great. But bullshit like not going for it on 4th at the end of the half drives me nuts.

I may just be overreacting to bad luck on a couple of plays but it feels like this game should have been over after the INT. That we needed a lucky missed kick to win is bonkers.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    nah that roughing is absolute horseshit

he's still got the ball when he goes for the hit, hits him with the shoulder.

that's a game changer and utterly absurd.

I agree but i think i throw that every time. The main thing is mathews protests before the flag is thrown. As soon as he does that i think “he must have hit him in the head”

Watching it on replay later, I think the issue wasn't the initial shoulder hit, it was that matthews then kept going and shoved Wilson with both arms into the ground after the pass was already long gone.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So uh

missed 44 yarder. Guy must have tried out for the vikings.

HEY!

THAT'S... that's appropriate

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    So, the Washington team is getting ready for a clash with the Patriots this weekend. Let's see what their coach, Jay Gruden is up to...
    Jay Gruden out here smoking weed & piping young thots what a goat
    Well, I guess that's as much prep as this team needs.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    He's starting McCoy this weekend.

He's starting unemployment after this weekend.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Map check!

Some things to note: Detroit and Miami are off this week. Also, too, international play begins with Chicago 'at' Oakland in London.

One more thing to note: FOX has both (well...all three) slots. But due to London and the bye, there will only be one afternoon game. Green Bay at Dallas with, of course, Buckman. Those of us with Dish may find ourselves in a better position really.

I am kind of thrilled to get to watch Jay Gruden's final game as Washington head coach.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Map check!

Some things to note: Detroit and Miami are off this week. Also, too, international play begins with Chicago 'at' Oakland in London.

One more thing to note: FOX has both (well...all three) slots. But due to London and the bye, there will only be one afternoon game. Green Bay at Dallas with, of course, Buckman. Those of us with Dish may find ourselves in a better position really.

I am kind of thrilled to get to watch Jay Gruden's final game as Washington head coach.

Only person enjoying Jay Gruden playing his last game more is Jay Gruden.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    i do enjoy when north dakota randomly gets eagles games because of wentz.

i feel very bad for all those people stuck with ne v was.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    i do enjoy when north dakota randomly gets eagles games because of wentz.

i feel very bad for all those people stuck with ne v was.

Yeah I mean I'm an NDSU fan because I went there *cough*forasemester*cough* but the unending championships aside the best part has been the number of terrible games I've been able to avoid since Wentz became the Philly QB.

Plus I'm not actually a Philly fan so I still get to shit on them for being barely human troglodytes.

• Options
    A friend of mine at work is an Eagles fan and we’re talking about going down to SEA@PHI the Sunday before thanksgiving. I like seeing games in hostile territory.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    A friend of mine at work is an Eagles fan and we’re talking about going down to SEA@PHI the Sunday before thanksgiving. I like seeing games in hostile territory.

I'd strongly consider not wearing your Seahawks gear in Philly.

I've seen how Philly fans get treated here in the Meadowlands and by all accounts it is comparably genteel.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

I'd strongly consider not wearing your Seahawks gear in Philly.

I've seen how Philly fans get treated here in the Meadowlands and by all accounts it is comparably genteel.

Even 76ers who are fans of other teams get assaulted

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

I actually think it's the right call. Can't start the rookie against BB even when the D is meh. Given two similar choices, go with the one without tape from this year and more mobility in case you can pick up some fluke first downs.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »

I actually think it's the right call. Can't start the rookie against BB even when the D is meh. Given two similar choices, go with the one without tape from this year and more mobility in case you can pick up some fluke first downs.

Somewhere (LGM, maybe?) about week one or two I read that the general plan probably was to get through New England without exposing Haskins, dump Gruden after the obviously expected shellacking, and then cruise through the rest of the season blaming Gruden and maybe seeing Haskins play with no pressure to win.

• Options
    A new wrinkle according to Deadspin is that these videos of him 'smoking' were released now (they're a year old) to let the team fire him for cause so they don't have to pay him. Rumour suggests that's how they got rid of GM McCloughan.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Final map check

One more thing to note, the London game is not nationwide and appears to be broadcast at the normal time.

• Options
    FOX is back on Dish...I guess.

Great to find out by seeing that fucking Trump ad...

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    FOX is back on Dish...I guess.

Great to find out by seeing that fucking Trump ad...

So, before you watch ~106 players accrue traumatic brain damage, you see the exemplar consequences of syphilitic brain damage.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

No.

Allen needs to learn to slide but that happens to Brady and it's a fine. If they want to take concussions and helmet to helmet shit seriously they need to be consistent.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    QBs should never, ever slide, because they are not protected by officials when they do. It just exposes them to monster head hits.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    QBs should never, ever slide, because they are not protected by officials when they do. It just exposes them to monster head hits.

Well...maybe an open field slide, when nobody is around, after getting the first down, to keep the clock moving. Comma.

• Options

Really? I thought they were? Definitely have heard the commentators talk about a QB being considered down as soon as he starts the slide, and is thus protected.

Was mostly when Russell Wilson was doing it early in his career.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Really? I thought they were? Definitely have heard the commentators talk about a QB being considered down as soon as he starts the slide, and is thus protected.

Oh it's in the rules, but officials don't call it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Wait, a slide is when you go down feet first, right?

• Options
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    All a slide does is turn their body into a golf tee with their head as the ball

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

I have definitely seen it called

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

I have definitely seen it called

Yup. Like I said, early Wilson. And that commentators about the same time were critical of RGIII for not doing the same thing, leading to him getting the shit kicked out of him on a weekly basis.

Maybe it's fallen out of vogue, but I definitely remember it being a thing.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The main issue with it is that qbs try to slide too late, which has the effect of dropping their head into the path of the tackler.

You definitely do see defenders flagged for contacting them though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The main issue with it is that qbs try to slide too late, which has the effect of dropping their head into the path of the tackler.

You definitely do see defenders flagged for contacting them though

It's to the QB's benefit that they wait so long. Gain as many yards and then get a flag for extra yards.

• Options
    Via Deadspin:
    Behold the coaching genius of Adam Gase, who was so confident that Sam Darnold would recover from mononucleosis at a rate faster than most doctors would recommend—and not say something like “I want to make sure that I’m safe out there and I’m not going to die”—that he just flat out ignored the actually healthy Luke Falk and didn’t give him any first-team reps in practice until Friday.