As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Train to Busan observation - I'm highly impressed the train conductor actress could shuffle around awkwardly in just one high-heel like she did and not destroy her ankle.

God I love that movie so much.

I think it's the first time in a long time a movie has managed to get me to hate an antagonist as much as I did, especially the "cowardly dipshit zombie movie antagonist" trope.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Ever since I started watching Legion, I've meant to give Fargo a chance. I finally did, and now I'm a little over halfway through the first season, and holy crap it is good.

It's basically Martin Freeman playing the William H Macy character from Fargo mixed with Billy Bob Thornton as Anton Chigurh, and they are both fantastic. I love the whole idea of the same themes and general plot structure of the film, but reimagined and stretched over (I assume) a season. Can't wait to see where this goes.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Season 2 of Fargo is even better, if you can believe it. I haven’t seen 3 though.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I know I'm late to the party but I really love how in Season 2 episode 6 of Dark, they show how much older and wrecked Jonas has become.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Goliath is back for season 3. It's weird as shit. I think the antagonist is trying to use Native American magic to further his nefarious goals. He might also be sleeping with his sister. I think I just watched Beau Bridges act out a heart attack through interpretive dance? There is a black man who I would bet was directed to play his character as Carlton from Fresh Prince, but as if Carlton was a serial killer.

I think I'm really into it.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    El Camino has its moments, but overall felt kinda superfluous. It didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Season 2 of Fargo is even better, if you can believe it. I haven’t seen 3 though.

Season 3 is real bad unfortunately.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Kim's Convenience is a good background show, 10 episodes in. Not as funny as Letterkenny or as lasting but usually solid pacing for a single cam show that secretely wants to be three camera. It just needs to focus less on the kids and more on Mr and Mrs Kim, he's like Korean Hank Hill. Every time they switch to the car rental place I just tune out, particularly because having both the kids basically be good kids (despite the son being bad in the past) kind of makes them redundant. Also Canadian money looks stupid, did they drop the entire bottle of dye into each bank note a mega dab, the only one that gets a pass is the loonie because it's classy and convenient.

• Options
    I would like to report a crime.

The crime being that season 3 of Dark is not out.

I like to ART
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Just watched the penultimate episode of Fargo s1, and holy christ,
    Lester Nygaard is one of the most despicable characters I've ever seen. That final scene with his wife was almost physically uncomfortable.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »

Season 3 is real bad unfortunately.

It suffers from a less compelling antagonist than the previous two seasons, but there's good stuff in there too. It's a real treat to see Ewan McGregor show off his range.

Reviews were good, too. It's just not as amazing as the first two seasons.

• Options
    It was kinda funny, I was looking through the AV Club reviews for season 3, just to see how well they liked it, and the captions for many episodes seem really snarky, but they still grade it high.

"Fargo can't find the forest for the trees... A-"

"That sure was something, I guess... A"

"What the fuck is this fucking piece of shit... B+"

(I may be paraphrasing.)

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It was kinda funny, I was looking through the AV Club reviews for season 3, just to see how well they liked it, and the captions for many episodes seem really snarky, but they still grade it high.

(I may be paraphrasing.)

I feel like this is the majority of reviews on rotten tomatoes for movies nowadays.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

(I may be paraphrasing.)

This was basically how they kept reviewing GoT to the end

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I think season 3 of Fargo suffers from a meandering first half, but I find myself thinking about that back half a lot.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I know, right

The only thing I'm a little worried about is by the end of season 2 it starts to feel more like a "jj abrams mystery box", where nothing holds up if you try to figure it out at all, and not like a over arching plan/plot.

I like to ART
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Disney+ just dropped what would be available on day one.
    My highlights:
    Gargoyles
    Darkwing Duck
    TaleSpin

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'd buy the whole service for Darkwing Duck.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    God, I loved TaleSpin. Have to watch that in its entirety once Disney+ makes it to Germany.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The Black Cauldron is there. Day fucking one.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm glad I jumped on that Disney+ for 3 years deal. I have a feeling I'll be binging more shows there than Netflix for at least the next season or two. I kind of fear the day when I have to pay again for all that content after getting used to just having it. Lord knows they're gonna price increase at least one or two times before Nov 2022.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I jumped on that Disney+ for 3 years deal. I have a feeling I'll be binging more shows there than Netflix for at least the next season or two. I kind of fear the day when I have to pay again for all that content after getting used to just having it. Lord knows they're gonna price increase at least one or two times before Nov 2022.

It's Disney. They won't raise the price until they've beaten Netflix into submission.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Now if they would only make up with Amazon and put it on their Fire Sticks.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    My highlights:
    Gargoyles
    Darkwing Duck
    TaleSpin

Why... wouldn't their old shows be on day one? Isn't that the whole assumption of this service? Or do they release Aladdin one day with a big advertising push saying "you'll never guess what we're giving you for free now!"

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Why does Jasmine get a snake hat, Aladdin wants the sun out of his eyes too

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    haha I love how they apparently announced this entire thing just via a Tweet thread?
    In what has to be one of the longest threads—if not the longest thread—ever made on Twitter, over the course of several hours the Disney+ account proceeded to tweet, in chronological release order, every single movie, documentary, and TV series that will be available as part of the launch line up. It is dense. It is deep.

Including a whole bunch of... probably just entirely fake things? For lols? I think someone at Disney+ has worked too many long nights recently :D

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    So I signed up for Shudder a while ago because I'm a chump and I like horror too much.

Last night I discovered something weird and annoying and stupid so thought I'd PSA it for anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation...

Having signed up for this service a while back I reached a point of wanting to actually watch it on my giant smart TV (I've previously just watched on computers of various description). There isn't an app for the service, either on the TV or the PS4, and I didn't initially have a chromecast plugged into it. So while I'm trying to get shitty web browser apps to successfully load the page my fiancee says, "I think you can watch Shudder stuff via amazon or something?" So I open up the Prime app and pull up Channel Zero and hey, yep, I can either pay or stream it "With Shudder Subscription".

Only it turns out there are two different Shudder subscriptions. There's the $5 a month one you can get by signing up on shudder.com. Then there's a $5 a month one you can get by signing up on amazon.com. Neither subscription allows you to access the service via the other portal (so you can't, for example, link your existing subscription to your amazon prime account). Further, the set of content available for streaming via Prime + Prime-Shudder is smaller than the set of content available on the actual site.

I know I've said before that I wish some streaming service would just let me subscribe to content via their portal so that I don't have to have 10 different services buy charging me the same amount of money for less content wasn't what I had in mind...

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Man, I'm pretty sure that episode is responsible for a ton of TF fetishes.

>.>

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The whole point of the fracturing is so that they don't work together and you have to have a lot of different services.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    For whatever reason, this popped into my head and I can't figure it out or let it go: there's a documentary that was shown at least 15-20 years ago (I want to say it was on HBO) that follows four medical students through school, and I can't remember its name or find it on google.

It contains one particularly riveting scene. One of the students meets a charming elderly patient awaiting heart surgery and - against the advice of her instructors - makes friends with him chatting about his younger days as a star pro soccer player. Later, the man dies on the operating table right in front of her, and she is completely devastated, reduced to sobbing in a corner of the OR. The more experienced surgeons in the room pointedly do not offer her any consolation, the lesson being: don't make friends with patients, because death is an integral part of this business.

• Options

>.>

You're describing 75% of Disney content.

Also they have Simpsons season 1 to 6!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

>.>

What was the cutoff from golden era Simpsons to mediocre Simpsons? Season 8? 10?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

>.>

What was the cutoff from golden era Simpsons to mediocre Simpsons? Season 8? 10?

It peaks at season 6 and then goes down hill. Season 11 is a good cut off point.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Most of us will probably be getting the rest of the seasons via the Hulu bundle anyway.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Opinions vary wildly as you might expect but I think season 3-8 is the golden age, season 9 it definitely starts going downhill and agree that you can abandon ship at 11. The Simpsons is really a 90s show at heart. Almost as soon as it was no longer the 90s (mid season 11), it just couldn't keep up anymore.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    My highlights:
    Gargoyles
    Darkwing Duck
    TaleSpin

Holy hell, they have X-Men the Animated Series.

Dah dah dah dah da da da, Dah Dah da da da da da da, da dan dan dan,

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Omigod, the cast of Fargo S2 is frighteningly amazing. Like, I legit don't know how they scored this much talent.

Oh hey, it's Patrick Wilson!

Oh shit, it's Ted Fucking Danson?

Holy balls, they got Nick Offerman?

The fuck, is that Jesse Plemmons?

And Kirsten Goddamn Dunst?!

BRAD FUCKING GARRETT??!!

And the cast is so what the fuck I almost forgot Jean Smart! Also, a pre-Legion Rachel Keller!

(Also, S2E1 is great, but I almost didn't notice because I was boggling over the cast.)

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Don’t forget the guy from Burn Notice and Kieran Culkin

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.