Options

[Celeste] Just Breathe

13»

• Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    Finished all the B Sides last night, grabbed the golden strawberry on 1A, and pushed through 1C. There were a few spots in 8C that just about did me in - I am awful at using those bouncing lava blocks, the pinball-style round guys, and timing moving environmental hazards like those goddamn fireballs so the whole thing was a nightmare. That one screen with the lava block, three fireballs, and a tiny path through crystals was hell (I realize this could apply to 90% of the level). It was absurdly satisfying to finally smash the crystal heart at the end.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I'm finally able to progress into Chapter 8. . . god they lay it on thick. I don't usually say stuff like this, but fuck those platforms you need to jump off of at just the right time (and by extension, those clouds from Chapter 4). I nearly had a fit with one screen in part 2, so much that I had to quit when I finally got through it. I don't mind puzzling my way through stuff like that, but at least give me a better visual cue or some idea of when I can make the jump off one of those damn things.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    So the soundtrack is supposed to hit 9/1/19---here's hoping the Chapter 9 DLC is coming that day, too!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    omg pls yes

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Boy, Farewell doesn't fuck around. The second half involves chaining wavedashes and wallbounces and other such fun. Me being out of practice certainly doesn't help, either, but still, this thing feels like in some screens it hits C-tier difficulty. If this stage has a B-side and C-Side I'm not sure I'm going to be able to beat them!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    These are some good levels, but god damn are they hard. Definitely intended for people who did a 100% clear of the game.

• Options
    Lord above but is Farewell long. It's hard as hell, even as someone who has 100%'d the game previously, and it just. never. ends. It's faked me out with a sequence that looked like it was ending twice. And it intersperses some fairly doable screens I get down in like five tries with some absolutely murderous stuff.

I think I'm going to take this as a multi-day marathon.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, I'm anticipating that I'm gonna need at least an hour today for trying to chain wavedashes.

cB557 on
  • Options
    I got the DLC but I'm still working on the B-Sides in the regular game, so I think I'm going to wait before starting it, because it sounds insane.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Yeah, as someone with more of a surface-level experience of Celeste (I cleared the main story and the first three B-sides), being locked out of the majority of the DLC kind of smarts. Not that it isn't fair, but it wasn't what I was expecting and it's definitely more than I'm prepared to work toward with my game queue in the state it's in.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I got the DLC but I'm still working on the B-Sides in the regular game, so I think I'm going to wait before starting it, because it sounds insane.

It's very much a thing you goo into _after_ beating the B-sides. It uses mechanics the game teaches you during the B sides, in fact! So yeah, complete all the Bs first, because this is the continuation of that curve.

• Options
    Having a lot of fun continuing on through this today.
    Last night I spent I don't know how long on this screen, and then when I resume from it today I blow through it in less than a minute.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJesyUrUxM
    Like, you kinda start to expect coming back to a game after a rest to have that sort of result by now, but I didn't expect to go through it that fast. Later I started laughing like a madman when I realized I had just looked at a room and gone "This room doesn't look too hard, I only need to do two wavedashes, and they're not even consecutive."

• Options
    Dear god, chapter 9 is so long. I can't count how many times I've thought "this seems hard enough to be the last screen, right?" But no. Not even close.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    ...I'm an imbecile. I just spent like eighty deaths trying to solve a super simple screen in chapter 9, because I forgot killing the fuse boxes gives you one dash back. I just didn't seem to find enough dashes to solve it so I was trying to find places to sneak a jump without dashing. Damnit.

Drascin on
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...I'm an imbecile. I just spent like eighty deaths trying to solve a super simple screen in chapter 9, because I forgot killing the fuse boxes gives you one dash back. I just didn't seem to find enough dashes to solve it so I was trying to find places to sneak a jump without dashing. Damnit.
    Fuck, I haven't even gotten to fuse boxes outside of that first one early on. It's starting to feel like there's no end to this.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Fuck, I haven't even gotten to fuse boxes outside of that first one early on. It's starting to feel like there's no end to this.

It is VERY long. I know because I JUST BEAT IT WOOO.

1.5K deaths in total. Farewell is over 1/3 of my total deaths in the entire game, counting A, B, and C sides, as well as replays and all strawberry searches and all the other stuff.

• Options
    Pretty sure I'm on the last screen for real this time, but WHAT THE FUCK.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Zek wrote: »
    Dear god, chapter 9 is so long. I can't count how many times I've thought "this seems hard enough to be the last screen, right?" But no. Not even close.
    I remember it being described as a normal chapters A+B+C sides combined in length when details were starting to come out before the release date was announced, and that you would have ideally completed at least the B-sides to have an idea of what to expect for difficulty.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Loving Chapter 9 so far. It's great at making you feel like a badass -- there are a ton of screens that look impossible, but actually don't take long to master. It's a nice steady dopamine drip.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I'm already stumped early on in Chapter 9, the part with all the springboards. I understand that I somehow need to need to get to the end without dashing, but I have no idea how. So the general consensus is that you should beat all the B-sides before starting this? I'm still working on finding all of them.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm already stumped early on in Chapter 9, the part with all the springboards. I understand that I somehow need to need to get to the end without dashing, but I have no idea how. So the general consensus is that you should beat all the B-sides before starting this? I'm still working on finding all of them.

If you hodl Down in midair, Madeline will fall faster. You can use this to chase down a springboard attached to a rock that started falling earlier.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Finished, plus the hidden achievement. Man that was just brutal. But at the same time if I went through it all again now I think I'd finish in no time. The game does a really good job at training you to master each mechanic so it feels like second nature by the time you're done. Each individual task is actually not that difficult in terms of timing once you get the trick down.

• Options
    I think I saw what you have to do to get the moon berry.
    Man, the idea of having to redo the entire final room every time you die in the jumping gauntlet sounds exhausting. Like Chapter 9 already legitimately hurt my left index finger, with so many left trigger grabbing and releasing shenanigans. Having to redo the whole thing every time you die sounds like a pain.

I guess I'll just have to live with having one achievement missing in the game.

• Options
    Man, the idea of having to redo the entire final room every time you die in the jumping gauntlet sounds exhausting. Like Chapter 9 already legitimately hurt my left index finger, with so many left trigger grabbing and releasing shenanigans. Having to redo the whole thing every time you die sounds like a pain.

It's actually really not that bad, you do the regular final screen and then a few more easy jumps, and you get a checkpoint. Then there's another final screen which is of comparable difficulty to the regular one, perhaps easier.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Zek wrote: »

It's actually really not that bad, you do the regular final screen and then a few more easy jumps, and you get a checkpoint. Then there's another final screen which is of comparable difficulty to the regular one, perhaps easier.
    Yeah, see, the thing is, the "easy jumps" actually appear to be one of the things I'm worst at, wavedashing in narrow spaces. I just spent ten deaths in the first couple platforms. And as expected, it's just really tiresome to redo the entire screen only to then input too little diagonal an dash horizontally and fall to your death ten seconds after breaking the fuse box, which takes three minutes of final gauntlet, even if by now I can do said gauntlet perfectly.

Like, a big part of why Celeste is incredibly non-aggravating is because the iteration time is generally pretty small. Here the iteration time for the last bit becomes huge.

Drascin on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    On Chapter 9 at the third checkpoint (Power Source), I have a question:
    The obvious path is to just sort of float to the end of the level, but there's a bonus path to let the jelly platform go to max height, jump, jellytoss, rise above some spikes, then ultradash to the next screen. After that, there's some even harder stuff I haven't been able to clear.

What does this lead to? I have spoiled myself on alternate routes and skips and secrets in the level and nobody appears to mention it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I finally beat 4B so I'm halfway through the B Sides. I have to take it easy because I developed a bad habit when first playing the game of always holding the grab button, and now it's so ingrained in my muscle memory that I can't play without doing that.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    cdFE75fh.png
    Woohoo! Jesus christ.

cB557 on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jeez. I'm still working on the B-sides, and I thought my 400-ish deaths on Reflections was up there.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Jeez. I'm still working on the B-sides, and I thought my 400-ish deaths on Reflections was up there.

Farewell is VERY long. I would say it's easily the size of an A side plus a B side plus a C side plus some extra screens to round it up.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I did it! Finally beat Farewell, and with it finished every level in the game!

That last room in Farewell is ridiculous, by the way. I wouldn't be as down on the length of it, if not for the slow rising up section in the middle. Still, very strong chapter, all in all.

• Options
    Well, one final effort is all that remains before I've beaten every level. Just beat Summit C, that just leaves Core C. Man, that last screen of Summit C is the hardest screen I've seen so far. I assumed chapter 9 was the end of the difficulty curve, but I had to work on that screen over several days. I think I took more deaths than I did on 9's final screen.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Alright so I was playing through Chapter 9, when
    a big blue heart door sprung up. So I guess I'll leave and come back. Is there much more after the door?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Alright so I was playing through Chapter 9, when
    a big blue heart door sprung up. So I guess I'll leave and come back. Is there much more after the door?

A lot is past that door. Getting the hearts necessary to open it will require you to learn techniques that will be necessary to get through the rest of chapter 9.

• Options
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I should finish this.
    I have no idea what people are meaning by C-Sides.
    I only know that the goddamn crow wants all the hearts.