As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    q8cnbq6fkeuw.png

gotta play around a bit with the extra parts/alternate colors, def gonna keep these feet though

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    FmtwJu8.jpg?1

One leg has become two! And a waist. It's looking more like a gundam now.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    You people who build parts out of order are absolutely mad.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    FmtwJu8.jpg?1

smh these katoki redesigns are all leg.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor, MG ZZ Ver Ka?

• Options
    FmtwJu8.jpg?1

smh these katoki redesigns are all leg.

One thing I find interesting with just about all Gundams is how much longer their forearms are compared to their upper arms, and how much longer their calves are compared to their thighs.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Athenor, MG ZZ Ver Ka?

HG Delta Kai.

I just pre-ordered the FAZZ MG Ver Ka, so that'll be in half a year or so. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

Hi it's me, I'm the one who needs the joke explained. Considering I'm halfway through my first gundam I've been follow the instructions religiously, but ive noticed a lot of people build the underframe in its entirety first, presumably for painting and detailing reasons?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    we got Penelope box art

hguc-penelope%2B%25281%2529.jpg

damn that's gonna be one big box

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

Hi it's me, I'm the one who needs the joke explained. Considering I'm halfway through my first gundam I've been follow the instructions religiously, but ive noticed a lot of people build the underframe in its entirety first, presumably for painting and detailing reasons?

I don't know that it's a joke so much as it is a preference. I get wanting to follow the instructions front to back, but I also get wanting to do the weapons first, or starting with the feet and working up.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Personally, I follow the instructions. I know that if I tried to skip around and do stuff like the full internal frame first, I'd very quickly get lost and frustrated. If you've got the experience with gunpla to look at the runners and be able to put the thing together without skipping around the instructions, more power to you. It's not for me.

I'll panel line as I go along because panel lining is a good break from putting parts together (and putting parts together is a good break from panel lining). Trying to do a big bunch of either though? No thanks.

• Options
    need a better posed photo but the gang's all here*

q44rahxwrpx4.png

did i mention i didn't even have to crack open the manual for the latest one? :lol:

*except for the one that's all but impossible to acquire now but it has dumb colors anyway

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Gonna steal that photo and use it for a Beatles/Daft Punk mash up album

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I love guncannons

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

This was about a half joke, half actual confusion. I am pretty strict on following the rules cause I'm a big square, and the instructions in the kits are the "rules," you see.

But you're right, plenty of folks will build stuff out of "order" for the purposes of painting. There's a whole bunch of different techniques, cause everyone develops preferences. For me personally, I build and paint as I go, and after final assembly hit the whole thing with top coat. But other folks will do the initial build, tear the thing apart for painting, lining, reassembling for gluing, then top coat.

• Options
    I will often build the weapons/shield/accessories first because these usually have their own sprues, and it means less I have to mess with later. I will always build the stand first, if one is included, for the same reason.

When fully painting, I build the entire kit, then disassemble into parts and sub-assemblies as makes sense. If I'm just panel lining/decaling with maybe some small paint apps, I usually just pull the model into larger assemblies. E.g. arms, legs, waist, torso, etc.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I must admit that I find the assembly instructions for Gunpla, in terms of order, kind of strange.

It usually goes Chest, Head, arms, Legs, hips, accessories, right?

But because of that, you can't actually connect the legs to anything as you go.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Sometimes I see the head listed as first, but that's the general order. Specifically you assemble all the stuff that goes on the torso, put that together, then all the stuff that goes on the hips, put that together, and only then are you allowed to put the two halves together into one functional mobile weapon.

• Options
    i always save the head for last #voltronorder

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    i always save the head for last #voltronorder

Wouldn't that be the sword? #pedant

• Options
    well, i do usually build weapons/accessories after the suit is done....

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    A lot of newer kits have been starting with the legs and having you build upwards.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    BTW that Escaflowne that was posted a while back is a kit. Moderoid is the line. Still don't know if it transforms or not.

Gundam Planet has it on pre-order for $42, May release. That's not bad at all.

OH ALSO, the Bluefin P-Badai store has the Leo with all accesories set up for pre-order for $23. February release.
    bas5059057_leo_02.jpg

Got enough stuff there to kit out at least 3 Leos.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Ground, Space, and Flight type, to be specific.

• Options
    Hmm interesting that build order has changed. I think mine is a relatively new kit, but it sure is legs, waist, torso, arms, head accessories.

Also I bought an action base so I can do sick poses.

Games store didn't have markers though :(

• Options
    I've definitely done a few old kits that did legs first.

I think I did a G-reco kit or maybe Age that went legs, arms, head, then torso last.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    The RG 00 Qan[T] actually does inner frame first.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It varies based on the kit and the product line. Like, most RG kits start at the legs and go up; the PG MKII starts with the arms, then legs, then other stuff. The ONLY consistent thing is that weapons and shields are at the end.

• Options
    That Leo is great. Grunt suits are always the best suits.

• Options
    Finally broke down and used stickers. It is not horrible, but not as clean as it could be. Still, this kit is turning out better than I was expecting after probably about a year of putting off building it.

I also did a rush job and used my gray panel liner to fill in an area that was gonna be a ginormous sticker.

jT3TqiEh.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Alright! Gundam's done, just need to finish the accessories and the waverider core!

m4xsOeqh.jpg

yociuO7h.jpg

Edit: And accessories done! I do like him, though I think I'll be displaying him in WaveRider mode. I need more planes.

C88AbW1h.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    What unit is that one, I've forgotten?

It keeps feeling like a weird mash up of something out of UC and Reborns Gundam from 00

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    HG Gundam Delta Kai. :)

Athenor on
  • Options
    Checking it, seems fairly old. How does it hold up with more recent kits, engineering-wise?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    No clue. I didn't realize it was old when I bought it. :)

It does suck that it's a partsformer, and I already complained about the stickers, but overall if I wasn't taking care with all that it probably would've been completed faster. My friend also warned me about snapping some of the wings/vents, but I didn't have any issues with that.

It isn't the most poseable, and because it is meant to come apart it isn't as solid as it could be.

• Options
    I will take a parts former any day of the week over an integrated transformation.

They almost never manage to do a transformation gimmick without severely compromising the kit.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    So the peg and socket joint for the shield and binder arm for my real grade Qan[T] has worn down to the point it can't hold the shield at all anymore.

I've tried thickening either point with nail polish, with glue and even tried stuffing paper towel bits in there as a means of friction to hold them together.

The only thing I can think of that could work is some kind of model putty, but I've never used it and don't know if that's just going to fail as well or not.

Is that viable or is this just going to be time to buy a whole new Qan[T] RG for these two pieces and the rest sits in the box for spares?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »
    So the peg and socket joint for the shield and binder arm for my real grade Qan[T] has worn down to the point it can't hold the shield at all anymore.

I've tried thickening either point with nail polish, with glue and even tried stuffing paper towel bits in there as a means of friction to hold them together.

The only thing I can think of that could work is some kind of model putty, but I've never used it and don't know if that's just going to fail as well or not.

Is that viable or is this just going to be time to buy a whole new Qan[T] RG for these two pieces and the rest sits in the box for spares?

Buy a new Qan[T], have one with the shield and one without!

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I couldn't sleep last night, so I decided to make some progress. I only had to go back and add bits I missed on the frame like, 3 times.
    ywrybnn33xc3.jpg

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »

There are people that do replacement part orders or 3rd party kits with the Full Saber shield but the peg is probably the same. But I would just try the putty first since since it is the cheapest fix and worst case you are back to where you are now.

steam_sig.png