Options

Spirited [Anime]

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Read up through Chapter 116 of this Beastars thing. Reminds me a lot of that Kevin and Kell webcomic, but far more nuanced in how it handles the relationship between carnivores and herbivores. Also more civilized in that predation is flat-out illegal and seen as murder, compared to where the only illegal predation is targeting someone they know so people, even children, dying is basically commonplace.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Beastars is making attempts at racial metaphors I genuinely appreciate.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm about halfway through Kokkoku and it's great so far. The OP/ED are definitely more immediately compelling, but the show itself is really good as well. Maybe it turns to shit in the last half, but I'm not at all understanding the comments and complaints I saw about it here and elsewhere. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I wish Promare was playing around here so I could better understand the horny fan art.

I assume the Kamina guy is a himbo.

the himbiest

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I feel like I've already written this exact post, but I'm really hoping the Adachi and Shimamura anime adaptation is well done. The light novels are really cute. It starts off seeming like yet another cute-girls-with-subtext story, and instead just keeps right on developing things. Slowly, but things do keep moving for real. It has a sort of similar feel to like tsuki ga kirei where you're like oh god, being a teenager, knowing you wanna date someone, and not having aaany idea of like, how you actually DO any of that. And then on top of that they've got the very Japanese LGBT worries of like standing out from the crowd, disappointing their parents, etc. It's not doing anything amazing or anything, but it has a lot of potential for a good adaptation.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Read up through Chapter 116 of this Beastars thing. Reminds me a lot of that Kevin and Kell webcomic, but far more nuanced in how it handles the relationship between carnivores and herbivores. Also more civilized in that predation is flat-out illegal and seen as murder, compared to where the only illegal predation is targeting someone they know so people, even children, dying is basically commonplace.
    I find the idea that its actually illegal in this world laughable. after all they have an entire section of the city where people go openly to buy and eat meat, and I havent seen a thing done about that. I get what they are trying to do but its not presented very well.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    I find the idea that its actually illegal in this world laughable. after all they have an entire section of the city where people go openly to buy and eat meat, and I havent seen a thing done about that. I get what they are trying to do but its not presented very well.

Its an open secret they all just accept. Even the intial incident in the manga is basically ignored by everyone immediately

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Man Pikachu looked pretty cool when he was putting up them dukes

I approve

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Is black clover any good? I remember people talking about it but it looks like pretty standard shonen stuff.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its shonen where the pace has made it so its 90% fights

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Hrgh, I'm getting some major mixed vibes from that Overly Cautious Hero isekai Anime. Watched the first two episodes. It's started off well enough, and the main goddess character is an absolute treat with her vocal range and delivery. She's basically Aqua turned up to 11 but more competent. But goddamn that main character guy is a straight up asshole with the emotional depth of a teaspoon. I mean I get it, that's his shtick is that he's so overly cautious he over trains to hell and back, but goddamn I never expected someone would be overcautious to the point of being completely emotionally dead and tonedeaf. I'll give it a few more episodes but I'm not feeling it so far. He's basically coming across as a completely emotionally compromised version of Kirito with even less personality and likeability. That goddess is basically carrying the show at this point.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Is black clover any good? I remember people talking about it but it looks like pretty standard shonen stuff.

It started out kinda medium and I dropped it like six episodes in but I hear it gets way better so it’s on my list to revisit

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

The early part kind of sucks. A lot of the supporting cast are paper thin caricatures that constantly spout the same couple lines in every reaction. Fortunately the aforementioned pacing means we don't spend a whole lot of time with all of the crew together, and they get fleshed out a little in their 1 on 1 arcs. It's nothing revolutionary, but it does jeep moving, and some of the fights are really well done.
    I started watching it just to have a junk food anime to fill some time between MHA seasons, but I legitimately enjoy it now.
    It's still junk food though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yuno is boring.

Thankfully he rarely shows up, despite being the “main rival”.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Yeah all the characters are hot blooded gotta surpass my limits!!!! Characters with slight variations on their personality

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah all the characters are hot blooded gotta surpass my limits!!!! Characters with slight variations on their personality

Well sort of. That definitely describes Asta and Magna. It also describes Captain Yami, except for him it's in a very surly, genre-aware, 4th wall breaking way that's actually pretty funny.

Noelle is tsundere.

Luck is just Fight Me!
    Finral is girl crazy.
    Gauche is sister complex.
    Charmy is food.
    Vanessa is drunk and flirty.
    Gray and Gordon are inaudible ciphers.

That's basically all there is to any of them for a good while.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hrgh, I'm getting some major mixed vibes from that Overly Cautious Hero isekai Anime. Watched the first two episodes. It's started off well enough, and the main goddess character is an absolute treat with her vocal range and delivery. She's basically Aqua turned up to 11 but more competent. But goddamn that main character guy is a straight up asshole with the emotional depth of a teaspoon. I mean I get it, that's his shtick is that he's so overly cautious he over trains to hell and back, but goddamn I never expected someone would be overcautious to the point of being completely emotionally dead and tonedeaf. I'll give it a few more episodes but I'm not feeling it so far. He's basically coming across as a completely emotionally compromised version of Kirito with even less personality and likeability. That goddess is basically carrying the show at this point.

I would agree normally, but with everything I've seen from this world he's been kinda justified. He's basically a Dark Souls player newly arrived to Anor Londo with one life.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular

I would agree normally, but with everything I've seen from this world he's been kinda justified. He's basically a Dark Souls player newly arrived to Anor Londo with one life.

Source material spoilers
    He's tried doing things the standard protagonist way in another world, and faced a ridiculously brutal total party wipe because of it. He doesn't remember it, but the trauma's ingrained in his soul.

So when he sees a message from himself hidden in the Properties screen warning him to always be prepared, he takes it very seriously even if he doesn't get why it's there.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Nah the dude sucks. But that’s kind of the point, and the show does not shy away from pointing it out constantly. You’re supposed to empathize with Rista having to put up with his bullshit.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    Nah the dude sucks. But that’s kind of the point, and the show does not shy away from pointing it out constantly. You’re supposed to empathize with Rista having to put up with his bullshit.

Why would I ever empathize with divinity who treat entire worlds as mundane jobs with no direct consequence for failure to the point they gave the hot potato S-Rank difficulty world to a themdamned rookie?

This guy gets one shot, one chance to save that world and he's already faced situations that would have murdered any regular hero. The goddess can either put up or shut up while he does his thing.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

The big turn off for me was the VA for the protag, tbh. I should say it's more the dialogue/directing, VA just doing their job, but for me there was way too much shouting and drawn out syllables. There's only so many times I can hear "Yuunoooooooo fiiiight meeeeeee" or whatever before my eardrums split.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Black Clover is absolutely 100% Shonen Tropes: The Series™. If that doesn't sound appealing, avoid at all costs. If it does sound appealing, stick around for the rest of the post.

There's truthfully not much here which you can't find elsewhere. It steals liberally from Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, and likely a bunch of other things which don't immediately stand out as such. But we enjoy all those things for a *reason*, and the way that Black Clover manages to stay entertaining is its pacing - it's basically cranked to 11 constantly, moving from one thing to the next without pausing for a break and going "hey, remember THIS thing? THAT WAS GREAT, WASN'T IT?" It leans in unlike anything else, and it just kinda works - it's the empty calorie comfort food of manga/anime.

Early on, it heavily relies upon cardboard cutouts of side characters - the anime in particular is bad in this regard because the "reaction shot" jump between of all of the characters has each of them react through this lens and it's kinda annoying. The anime also has some SERIOUS issues early on because the animation is poor, the voice acting for Asta is grating as hell (in Japanese in particular), and because the studio abandoned the pacing advantage the manga had. This will not improve for multiple seasons if you're starting from the beginning. Like some of the fights are just GOD-AWFUL CG.

The series was bog-standard and nothing special up until through...eh....the arc under the sea. For those keeping track, that'd be chapter 57 in the manga, episode 40 in the anime - it's a heavy ask to push through that early part, especially for the anime. At this point, it starts exploring the world a bit more, the characters start getting some background, and a lot (not all) of them become far less of props, which is when the story starts getting....depth and stakes? Like, the last arc in Black Clover manga (which the anime is just starting) was GREAT...like, legitimately one of my favorite series in Jump at the time.

So basically I'd say "yes, it's good, yes, it's worth it, but only if you're willing to stick out the early part. Maybe read manga early on and jump to the anime later in the series for the interesting fights?"

Tossing them in spoilers, because these fights ARE spoilers, but to give an idea of the animation they're throwing around in the major fights now:

Also the openings are basically consistently really great songs.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yuno is boring.

Thankfully he rarely shows up, despite being the “main rival”.

Turns out that Sasuke was the dragonball fusion dance of Yuno and Bakugo. Bakugo got the hatemurderdeathkill, Yuno got the stoicism rivalry.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Why would I ever empathize with divinity who treat entire worlds as mundane jobs with no direct consequence for failure to the point they gave the hot potato S-Rank difficulty world to a themdamned rookie?

This guy gets one shot, one chance to save that world and he's already faced situations that would have murdered any regular hero. The goddess can either put up or shut up while he does his thing.

Yeah, she's been thrown in way over her head for the comedy factor, but you're right about the callousness of the society that thinks that's okay.

It seems like she's ah... sheltered? Used to easy success? There's room for backstory there that would work for this.

But it's a strange mix of schadenfreude and watching a train wreck. She absolutely carries the show.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

The dude is exactly who is needed to save a world.

His job is to defeat a demon king who wasted previous heroes sent to defeat the demon king?

Being absurdly cautious in a world he knows little about is a good policy and what is needed even if it means overkill against a slime.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I mean I get that he's cautious and I get that they're trying to play that for laughs, but he's just so overtly cold and callous about the whole affair that if it wasn't for Rista's slapstick and phenomenal voice acting, the show would be dead on arrival. He's obviously OP as hell by the end of the 2nd episode and yet he ends up nuking the town he was meant to save simply to ensure the ashes of the demon king he just vanquished was destroyed. I dunno, I guess it'll hopefully get better, he just comes across as a dillhole from the get go is all.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I mean I get that he's cautious and I get that they're trying to play that for laughs, but he's just so overtly cold and callous about the whole affair that if it wasn't for Rista's slapstick and phenomenal voice acting, the show would be dead on arrival. He's obviously OP as hell by the end of the 2nd episode and yet he ends up nuking the town he was meant to save simply to ensure the ashes of the demon king he just vanquished was destroyed. I dunno, I guess it'll hopefully get better, he just comes across as a dillhole from the get go is all.

Not a manga reader or anything so this isnt a spoiler, just a guess. But im 99% sure that when he gets to the big boss demon first thing hes going to do is try the old 'fight all the previous bosses before you fight me' stuff, then be surprised when none of them show up cause of what hes doing to the corpses.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    There's another thing about that world that raises all the alarm bells.
    Chaos Machina wouldn't normally be in that area, but the Demon King explicitly sent her over after figuring out the most likely place a new hero would drop into based on what was safest. In other words, this Demon King is not only proactive but is explicitly not underestimating the protagonist and making preparations of their own.

• Options
    edited October 2019

I looked into this and the reason why he acts like that is fucking insane. Like tonally its not what I expected at all.
    It turns out he was summoned to a previous world and in his haste to save it didn't notice the demon Lord had a revival item. His party was killed including his wife and his unborn child was eaten by demons. He was sent back to earth and lost his memories of it but the emotional scar remained. He also left a warning message to himself to always be prepared in his properties screen in case he was summoned again

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Skypiea rules

Just gonna drop uhhhhh basically a completely new dope continent into the world, I won’t mind it the next like hundred chapters are here

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Skypiea rules

Just gonna drop uhhhhh basically a completely new dope continent into the world, I won’t mind it the next like hundred chapters are here

Good news!

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Skypiea rules

Congrats, they are!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    if you hate Skypiea i don't even know why you like one piece

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    if you hate Skypiea i don't even know why you like one piece

I enjoyed it while it was happening, but enjoyed it less after reading more because
    everything that happened there felt so divorced from impacting the rest of the world.

That feeling got mitigated as time has gone on.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Skypiea takes a while to feel like it was not just a side story.

• Options
    Mr. G are you watching the anime or reading the manga?

Because there is an anime only filler arc after Skypiea that is worth watching, imo.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Skypeia can get long in the tooth because as soon as the villain is introduced you know exactly how he gets beaten and you’re just waiting for the plot to catch up.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have no strong opinion one way or the other about Skypiea other than that the anime makes it too long, so business as usual

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    as soon as the villain is introduced you know exactly how he gets beaten

that's the best part

Radius on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Mr. G are you watching the anime or reading the manga?

Because there is an anime only filler arc after Skypiea that is worth watching, imo.

I’m only reading the manga because I don’t know exactly how long it will take me to read but I’m guessing it’s under 330 hours, so it’s faster

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.