As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Amok Rhyme

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. I think the original O'Brien died in the time travel episode.

Much like how Harry Kim is a quantum duplicate and the original is drifting in space.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    STO addresses that :)

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

Much like how Harry Kim is a quantum duplicate and the original is drifting in space.

like an entire season of Voyager is all of their duplicates and then they all die the end no moral

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

like an entire season of Voyager is all of their duplicates and then they all die the end no moral

I had already blocked that episode from my memory and I literally finished my rewatch just a few weeks ago

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So I binged Discovery this week and...yeah. The first season was very much not Star Trek, but still mildly entertaining. The second season was better, but still had some glaring issues.

Overall impressions (no detailed spoilers, but just in case):
    I think overall the show just suffers from being unwilling to be Star Trek. Ideas are not left to ruminate, themes are not explored, characters are not developed (and those that are have developed by way of near-caricature). And the dialogue is just...why. The audience are treated like idiots and the most basic things are repeated over and over again, which begs the question of how the episodes can be so long and yet convey such little depth. Every single episode has at least one moment where you question the need for blatantly obvious dialogue at the most inopportune times imaginable just to tell the audience what they have been watching unfold for the past several minutes. This penchant is slightly improved in the second season, but in favor of pregnant, poignant pauses right before major moments where time is supposedly of the essence. Which is an improvement in distinction, but perhaps not degree. Overall, there's definitely a feeling as though the writers have set destinations and a desperate need to propel the plot forward to these particular events without allowing things to develop organically. I have some hope that future seasons will be better, but wow did they really miss the boat with the first season in particular.

On the plus side, the production values are stellar (although they are in desperate need of a briefing room and other neutral, quiet areas of the ship where important, sensitive topics can be discussed outside of a giant fucking room/hallway where everyone can overhear). The actors are all fantastic (save Anthony Rapp a.k.a. Stamets, who seems to believe that there exists no facial expression that cannot be improved by squinting). The space scenes are gorgeous, especially warp travel and the Interstellar-inspired black hole in that one episode.

I really hope that in future seasons, they just trust that the characters and the universe are compelling enough to be worth exploring. There is a lot of stuff that would've worked beautifully if it were just left to breathe.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Watching DS9 and man, that part where Sisko meets the prophets is so Star Trek is hurts. Enjoying the series so far.

Garek has just shown up and I thought people were making jokes, but you can cut the sexual tension between him and Bashir with a knife.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Watching DS9 and man, that part where Sisko meets the profits is so Star Trek is hurts. Enjoying the series so far.

Garek has just shown up and I thought people were making jokes, but you can cut the sexual tension between him and Bashir with a knife.

You mean the grand nagus?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Whoops.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Huh. Kira is carrying O’Brien’s baby.

Miles, you dog

I've seen worse ways of covering up a pregnancy mid-shoot. Remember when Skully started wearing a lot of lab coats and was barely in several episodes?

Brooklyn 99 was my favorite for this.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Huh. Kira is carrying O’Brien’s baby.

Miles, you dog

I've seen worse ways of covering up a pregnancy mid-shoot. Remember when Skully started wearing a lot of lab coats and was barely in several episodes?

Brooklyn 99 was my favorite for this.

IMO nothing beats being artificially inseminated with your brother's triplets.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

You mean one episode, and it was a good episode.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

The end of that episode was... Uh, bleak

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If meat is replicated in the Star Trek universe, there's no meat industry. Where does Sisko's Dad get his authentic meats for his restaurant?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm sure there's some artisan crawfish gatherers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If meat is replicated in the Star Trek universe, there's no meat industry. Where does Sisko's Dad get his authentic meats for his restaurant?

Picard runs a vinery. There’s a place for small farmers in the Federation.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

No one said that ALL meat is replicated. Just like the PIcards grow grapes for wine, there is probably a thriving boutique meat industry on earth. In a universe where you can make instant clones of literally anyone, you could have thousands of clones of the finest wagyu beef cattle roaming around anywhere on the planet. You could go from slaughter to dinner table in an afternoon even if the cattle were raised on the other side of the globe.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

No one said that ALL meat is replicated. Just like the PIcards grow grapes for wine, there is probably a thriving boutique meat industry on earth. In a universe where you can make instant clones of literally anyone, you could have thousands of clones of the finest wagyu beef cattle roaming around anywhere on the planet. You could go from slaughter to dinner table in an afternoon even if the cattle were raised on the other side of the globe.

I suppose in the 24th century that shuttles can travel to anywhere on the planet within an hour.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I believe they have public transporters on the major planets.

Sisko at one point mentions how he used up all his “transporter credits” going home from the academy every weekend.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Yup.
    Which means that a cadet's allowance gets you one (1) round trip per week, possibly anywhere on the planet, or maybe just across the continent.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Sisko at one point mentions how he used up all his “transporter credits” going home from the academy every weekend.

Do we have any modern day context for how much energy it takes to power a transporter?

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

Do we have any modern day context for how much energy it takes to power a transporter?
    Well the heisenberg compensator alone...

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

No, I seriously mean an entire season of Voyager.

S4.E24: Demon: Voyager sets down on a "Demon-class" planet where Harry Kim and Tom Paris are duplicated by a sentient slime made out of deuterium (which they presumably also just use in their engines I guess?) and at the end of the episode the entire crew agrees to be duplicated so that the slime can live a more fulfilling life.

S5.E17: Course: Oblivion: Voyager undergoes mysterious malfunctions and diseases, culminating in their attempted return to the original planet, but unfortunately the ship just dissolves in space before they can make it. The "real" voyager happens upon the scene after they're all dead.

It's left ambiguous whether the intervening episodes were with the duplicate crew or the "real" crew, but I feel like they make nods to the events depicted between the two episodes in S5.E17, like To'llana's relationship status matches what had been happening in S5 so far, etc.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    It's left ambiguous whether the intervening episodes were with the duplicate crew or the "real" crew, but I feel like they make nods to the events depicted between the two episodes in S5.E17, like To'llana's relationship status matches what had been happening in S5 so far, etc.
    It's not ambiguous at all, Tom is a Lieutenant when he's getting married in the opening of Course: Oblivion because he never got demoted like the real Tom. The nods to the real crew is because the goo is going to have similar experiences because they're mind clones. Course Oblivion is 100% only the second time we're seeing the goo people.

Coinage on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular

Actually I believe he said he went home for dinner every night.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Presumably, it shouldn't actually take all that much power. Matter converted to an energy pattern, energy pattern transmitted to a target, energy back to matter at target. The big energy cost should be in conversion, which would be fixed due to equipment, and transmission, which would be variable based on distance.

I bet you wouldn't even need antimatter-level power generation to use transporters, if you could somehow leapfrog past how they're based on warp tech and knowledge of subspace.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

My mistake.

If my dad ran a creole restaurant I’d do the same thing probably

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

I looked it up: (DS9, S3 "Explorers", 32:45)
    Sisko: For the first few days, I was so homesick that I'd go back to my house in New Orleans every night for dinner.
    Jake: You must have used up a month's worth of transporter credits.

Bearing in mind that Jake was guessing as to the amount, this seems like a civilian ration, set to about a 2-way trip every week. This is too low for daily commutes, but high enough to do basically anything else you want with them.

This ration may not be because of the energy usage, though. In general transporters need a qualified engineer at the controls, and need to be kept well-maintained or people die. I can totally see Earth wanting to keep transporter usage low not because they don't have enough energy, but because qualified transporter engineers have better things to do.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Easily remedied with a simple flux capacitor.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    O'Brien's mom wouldn't use a replicator, she cooked with real meat every day according to Miles. I'd imagine there's a lot of smaller farmers and stuff in the 24th century, maybe even cloned animals?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I can't remember where I read it, but someone somewhere put forth the theory that free-use transporters usable by civilians would result in some pretty major disastrous situations. Like for example, any major event, be it a positive or negative one, would result in probably tens of thousands of "looky lou's" all transporting there to have a look. Ever lived in a city hosting the olympics? That would be everywhere, all the time. There are stories right now of "social media influencers" giving an innocent shout out to a restaurant saying "best food in the city", and then that restaurant just gets flooded with more people than they can handle.

I could absolutely see transporter use being locked down and heavily regulated. It would almost have to be.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Flash mobs, on a planetary scale.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I think a few times they mention transporter credits, so maybe it's like "it'll cost more credit to get to this place at a peak time, so save up those points!"

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Easily remedied with a simple flux capacitor.

Nah, the flux capacitor didn't generate power, otherwise, Doc wouldn't have needed the plutonium.
    But, if everybody's got a Mr. Fusion laying around to power their in home transporters...

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Oh damn there are actual Time Cops

I though you all were joking

Edit: and they fucking hate James T Kirk hahahahaha

knitdan on
  • Options
    Omg Worf

You get a vacation to Space Vegas and instead of having fun you want to hang out with the Space Westboro Baptist Church?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Oh damn there are actual Time Cops

I though you all were joking

Edit: and they fucking hate James T Kirk hahahahaha

Nah, those aren't the Time Cops I've been talking about. Those guys actually seem kinda competent, but they're after-the-fact investigators. Crucially, they don't seem to have time travel themselves, so their job is really just to try to make the paperwork make some kind of sense with Starfleets dating system.

You need to watch Voyager for the really inept Time Cops to show up.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I will never watch voyager

I’ve read too much about it here

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Omg Worf

You get a vacation to Space Vegas and instead of having fun you want to hang out with the Space Westboro Baptist Church?

I'm not sure anyone comes out of that episode with their dignity.

Maybe Leeta.

• Options
    ....and now Worf is committing sabotage for his regressive beliefs

He’s essentially a terrorist now.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's absolutely one of the worth episodes of the series and I tapped out somewhere around the 20 minute mark personally.

This discussion has been closed.