As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Day the Music Died - Prelude: Concerning Charlie Horse - A [Phalla] - It's Over!

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    The thing I like about everyone checking the alignment of the role below them in the role list is that it seems highly likely to me that kill abilities have to be targeted at player names whilst bad guys want to kill powers tied to role names.
    Constructing smaller groups would likely make it easier for mafia to tie role names to player names, as the 'seer' each night would at least need the player-role linkage of a member in the group. And that allows the mafia's seer to be offed, or the mafia to know the role of the person they need to see.

.. I think the kills are based off player names, and the powers tied to roles, because otherwise the separation of the two identities seems meaningless.

Bolded what I think is the most important part of that post. Some or all of the mafia are probably able to discern roles themselves; that just makes sense.

I meant 'seer that had targeted the mafia in the small group' rather than 'mafia with a seeing power' for clarity.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    H3 seems to be my new safe day 1 vote.

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Correct, never have I ever died day 1.

Man, it's been so long, I wonder if anyone even gets this.

I 'member.
    JPants wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure kime's "Never been day 1'd" comment is a joke cause i remember kime getting Day 1'd CONSTANTLY (i mean maybe it was day 2, but i'm pretty sure i remember at least one day 1ing).

This exactly. It happened so much that it became a meme. But I need to waste my time with meme votes when I actually have a grudge to take advantage of: JPants!

I also have to say that I agree with a focus on checking out the alignment of the roles, that information seems far more useful long term.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Kilnaga wrote: »

I 'member.
    i'm pretty sure kime's "Never been day 1'd" comment is a joke cause i remember kime getting Day 1'd CONSTANTLY (i mean maybe it was day 2, but i'm pretty sure i remember at least one day 1ing).

This exactly. It happened so much that it became a meme. But I need to waste my time with meme votes when I actually have a grudge to take advantage of: JPants!

I also have to say that I agree with a focus on checking out the alignment of the roles, that information seems far more useful long term.

I don't recognize this grudge! Achievement unlocked?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Kilnaga wrote: »

I 'member.

I don't recognize this grudge! Achievement unlocked?

I've secretly replaced Kilnaga. The votes are coming from inside the house.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    kime

HUBRIS

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Cythraul wrote: »
    kime[]

HUBRIS

Cythrul for using the term "hubris" :P

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    What's the vote count? Kime vs. a bunch of 1 of's?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    A little less than 6 hours until Day One is over.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    So many names that I haven't voted for in so long, my murder muscles have atrophied. Auralynx for now

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Zombie Hero/color] welcome back.

On a more serious note, I've already locked in my action tonight. Since we're all quasi-seers, are we keeping results to ourselves? Publishing in thread?

I assume if you seer a mafia role, you should tell the thread, but it could also cause many villagers to waste their next action on investigating the baddie role when we still have to connect that role to a player.

Maybe we should all investigate players first, then once we've compiled a list, investigate the roles.

This whole thing seems like something that can easily be broken, but I trust the hosts have thought of that and there are mechanics in place to stop this kind of game theory.

• Options
    Ah, Fuck.

I fail.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    MamaWolf wrote: »
    Cythraul wrote: »
    kime[]

HUBRIS

Cythrul for using the term "hubris" :P

But you just used the term hubris! Wait dang it, now I did too.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Bluecyan for using the word hubris.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    kime cause i know they have more votes than me.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm going to hold off on sharing my role id. Will post my alignment seers in thread.
    I don't know the powers of the mafia, or the effect of role knowledge leaking out.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Current thoughts.
    With alignment of the role ids put in thread, people can claim those ids when they are put up to the vote.
    Someone could lie, and the two disputing players could be verified via role powers.
    I'm assuming that everyone has a unique role id.
    Going with that system for now.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Current thoughts.
    With alignment of the role ids put in thread, people can claim those ids when they are put up to the vote.
    Someone could lie, and the two disputing players could be verified via role powers.
    I'm assuming that everyone has a unique role id.
    Going with that system for now.

26 players, 26 roles. I think it's a fairly safe bet

• Options
    I would make this game where the mafia know who is their partner, but not know people's id.
    I would give them powers to kill X number of players if they guess the id, and powers to paint role ids with fake alignment. The earlier the role id's alignment is seered and posted publicly, the less days of applying paint they would have in that system.

Thats my guess at the game mechanics from what is presented.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    A little over two hours left. Please be sure to both vote and submit an action

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I guess Discrider.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I am Summer. No special abilities though

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Geth roll 10d5 for Stuff

Stuff:
    10d5 30 [10d5=2, 5, 4, 5, 4, 4, 2, 1, 1, 2]

• Options
    Geth roll 10d5 for Stuff

*ominous tones*

• Options
    Geth roll 10d5 for Stuff

*ominous tones*

Dang Geth just told me I have to use my ultima-kill ability tonight, the ability that not only kills half the players in the game but also in real life.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Hey, sorry for the day 1 thoughtless post but I'm running out of time to catch up on the thread, today was a bit of a mess for me despite the extra time. I guess I'll vote Auralynx for last game?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, we were supposed to pick a song that made us happy, not just any song, huh? Let me try that again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gj47G2e1Jc

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I didn't realize this game was EST. Gotta catch up on what happened before voteclose.

• Options
    Day One is over.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    The village spent most of the day wondering what exactly Shave wanted them to do. He seemed so convinced that one of them had done old Charlie in, but when they looked around at their friends and neighbors, they could not see the evil that Shave saw. Still, Shave had gone to the Son, and they had apparently believed him, to the point where they gave him the tool to exact his justice. And who were they to doubt the judgment of one of the Trinity?

So everyone set about to see if they could find any clues at all about what had happened to Charlie. Some villagers decided to be up front, and just asked their neighbors whether they had anything to do with the killing. Others decided to be a little more wily, and did some of their own investigations. Still others decided to work in groups, to see if multiple heads were better than one.

Amidst all of the snooping and questioning, it would have been easy to miss that two of the villagers simply… disappeared over the course of the day. No one could say for sure when Jack Lynch and Miss Brown went missing, but at some point they just ceased to be. There was no sign of them at all, it was as if someone or something had erased them from existence. Their memories lived on, to an extent, but some of the villagers wondered even how long that would last. Nevertheless, it didn’t seem to slow down the remainder from their appointed task.

At the end of a long day of rising suspicions and missing neighbors, the villagers gathered again in the meeting hall. Shave was waiting there, sitting at the same head table as he had been the night before. Some villagers wondered if he had been at that table all day. The violin case, beat up and worn, was still in front of him, and it remained closed. When all the villagers had arrived, Shave stood up and spoke.

“We don’t have any time to waste,” Shave said, as solemn as ever. “Have you found the culprit?”

The villagers looked at one another nervously, none of the knowing quite what to say. They had all known that the question was coming, and they all knew that Shave expected an answer to that question, but none were prepared to actually provide an answer.

As the silence persisted, finally one of the villagers dared speak. Summer quietly stood up, and said, “It’s me. They think I’m the one who killed Charlie Horse.”

For a brief moment, Shave’s face, which to this point had remained stoic, betrayed some emotion other than grim determination. Summer could see the hesitation in his eyes. The moment was fleeting, however.

“If that’s so,” Shave said. “Then justice must be meted out.” He flicked open the latches on the violin case, one two, then opened it up. Shave hesitated, again for just a moment, before reaching into the case and bringing forth the instrument that would provide Charlie with the justice he deserved. Shave reached down with his left hand, took the Golden Fiddle by its neck, and removed it from its case. The collected villagers gasped as one. They had all suspected what was in that case. But to see the Golden Fiddle, that terrible instrument which had been hard won from the Devil himself, in the hands of one of their own was still shocking.

The villagers could do nothing but hold their breaths and watch what was about to unfold. Shave nestled the Golden Fiddle underneath his chin, then placed the bow on top of it. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and drew the bow across the strings. A single note, louder than any sound anyone had ever heard, filled the room. Most of the villagers braced themselves against the wall, or were forced to their knees by the overwhelming sound. But Summer stood silently, defiantly. She did not utter a sound as her body faded away to nothing, as her very spirit became unmade. As the last of her essence dissipated, though, Shave could swear he heard Summer whisper, “Death, where is thy victory?”

The Dead
    Auralynx - Miss Brown
    Gizzy - Jack Lynch
    kime - Summer

Locus on
  • Options
    Results PMs going out shortly. We will announce when Day Two has begun.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    All PMs should have been sent out. Please let us know if you don't think you received yours.

Day 2 has now begun. It will end at 9pm EST tomorrow.

@premium receives a notice for inactivity.

• Options
    Locus wrote: »
    The Dead
    Auralynx - Miss Brown
    Gizzy - Jack Lynch
    kime - Summer

I'd like to take credit for Aura being village. If I had invited him to my group i guarantee he would have been mafia, but because I didn't, village.

(in case anyone gets confused, I am NOT taking credit for Aura's death, just making a joke).

• Options
    FYI, there is something called intimidation and I was the victim of it.

It means I took no action.

• Options
    An individual bound in a gimp mask, while tied to a chair, attempts to gesticulate a urgent message.

A complex pattern of
    WILD FLAILING
    GRUNTING
    CHAIR HOPPING
    is pursued outside their home window.

Translation
    "I investigated Gideon Brown and found out they are Mafia.
    I'm enjoying fun BDSM PLAY, and can't answer the phone for the next day."

It's clear I was targeted last night, and I was open that I was gonna share info,
    I don't know if weird mafia powers messed with my seer,
    but I'm just gonna assume that they didn't.

Feel free to let us know if you... (Gideon Brown) is actually innocent and my seer was false
    Probably will still vote for you, but it would be good to know if mafia can make the seer unreliable.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Will continue these style of posts going forward, but will be giving more time for things to be settled. Anyone find a Gideon Brown in their own investigations?

Also I like how this is the default villager ability, even if it's probably a bit faulty. I think it gives everyone something to post about, and be engaged in the game a bit. Unless it turns out to be super OP of essentially 20+ seers, I think it's a cool design for a vanilla role.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Virgil....

If the mafia have any ability to mess with roles or switch roles or whatever, you just gave them the only information they need to do that.

You really should have kept that information on the DL, imo

• Options
    edited November 2019
    That's a fair point if they can disguise themselves as someone else and use that to choose someone to nullify a future seering.
    On the flipside, I'm guessing a ton of seering went off last night that potentially might be pinging someone named Gideon. If we are open we can hit a target!
    If Gideon Brown is taken care of tonight, we don't need to worry about them. I'm for not keeping these things (ALIGNMENTS of the Role IDs) on the down low.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I disagree Obi, a seered mafia gives a lot of power to the Question side of our power.

For what it is worth, I investigated Jack Lynch and they turned up village.

There is also some claims of a kind of role or seer block (last nights actions were cancelled for at least one person or at least claimed to have been)

I think giving information on roles of alignment especially is important info to get out there.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    hey everyone

Art Jackman is mafia

imagine that