As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Impeachment] Intel Cmte Report Released (OP-2) | Judiciary Hearings Begin (2019/12/04)

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Were the networks airing this?? Right now, all of them have their daytime shows on. I watched CNN for the first day of testimony, so I'm not sure if they covered that or not, but I was under the impression that they did.

They did some brief commentary after the hearing took a short recess and after that switched to regular programming until they are back in session.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Were the networks airing this?? Right now, all of them have their daytime shows on. I watched CNN for the first day of testimony, so I'm not sure if they covered that or not, but I was under the impression that they did.

They did some brief commentary after the hearing took a short recess and after that switched to regular programming until they are back in session.

Whew, thank you. I thought that would have been typical, cover day 1, call it boring, ignore day 2 and miss the "moment."

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Bloomberg reporter

GOP Rep Lee Zeldin says on C-Span that Trump's tweets this morning weren't witness intimidation because ``Ambassador Yovanovitch wasn't on twitter'' at the time, and the only reason she knows that Trump tweeted about her is because Adam Schiff told her.

Ah, yes. Trump was threatening her, but she hadn't seen it yet, so the person who is actually guilty of intimidating her is the person who told her what he publicly announced. Makes perfect sense.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Well they’re definitely not going to miss broadcasting the hearings now that Schiff created that viral moment

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That's not how asynchronous communication works!

That's also not how mass communication works!

She was not the target of the message!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    PBS had a nice timeline of events on it earlier but I really wish it had included that Congress was informed of the whistle blower complaint and then two days later the aid was released.

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Bloomberg reporter

GOP Rep Lee Zeldin says on C-Span that Trump's tweets this morning weren't witness intimidation because ``Ambassador Yovanovitch wasn't on twitter'' at the time, and the only reason she knows that Trump tweeted about her is because Adam Schiff told her.

Ah, yes. Trump was threatening her, but she hadn't seen it yet, so the person who is actually guilty of intimidating her is the person who told her what he publicly announced. Makes perfect sense.

Jesus H. Christ, I thought this was legendarily dumb when it was either a Russian bot or a brain-dead MAGA chud saying it on twitter, but it actually caught on as a defense with a living breathing congresscritter?? Holy hell.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Vox Reporter with the Fox News clip

Wow. Fox News' Bret Baier says that Trump's tweets attacking Yovanovitch could be construed as witness intimidation and hence "adding essentially an article of impeachment in real time as this hearing is going on."

Nakedly partisan nutbag Ken Starr too.

Former independent counsel Ken Starr criticizes Trump's tweets attacking Yovanovitch: "I must say that the president was not advised by counsel in deciding to do this tweet. Extraordinarily poor judgment ... obviously I think this was quite injurious."

Even Fox realizes/understands that this is exactly what they didn't want. I also saw it noted by someone that yesterday, Trump retweeted a bunch of randos attacking Taylor and Kent, but didn't really say much (about them at least) himself, which is very different from today's attacks on Yovanovich.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    NPR in the interim is replying their deep dive of Trump and Russia and 2016 to build context around how we got to this point. And how he has ignored and put down the IC and the foreign policy community. Including Helsinki and the first speech at the CIA. And how this ties to what has led to the Ukrainian Incidents.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Bloomberg reporter

Jesus H. Christ, I thought this was legendarily dumb when it was either a Russian bot or a brain-dead MAGA chud saying it on twitter, but it actually caught on as a defense with a living breathing congresscritter?? Holy hell.

I would not be surprised in the least if that's the GOP line going forward. They seem very good at picking a strategy and having every one of them repeat it. That the bots are already yelling it isn't surprising either.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking of Deathklok anytime someone mentions Pizazz?

I keep thinking Pizazzgate, especially with that guy who was scaremongering about hearings going on in the basement

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Bloomberg reporter

I would not be surprised in the least if that's the GOP line going forward. They seem very good at picking a strategy and having every one of them repeat it. That the bots are already yelling it isn't surprising either.

If you think that's bad/stupid, you really don't want to hear what someone on Fox followed it up with.

(Paraphrase)
    "Witness intimidation isn't an impeachable offensive because the Constitution doesn't specifically mention witness intimidation."

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    Bloomberg reporter

If I mail someone a bomb, it's the postman who is guilty!

But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It doesn’t have to be directed at the currently-testifying witness to be witness tampering/intimidation. The message Trump sent was, “If you testify against me, the most powerful person in the world will publicly smear you.” This was intimidation towards anybody who may dare to cross him.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Remember, there is no peak stupid.

Media Matters person:
    Fox News Senior Capitol Hill producer: "Now, when we look at the U.S. Constitution and look at Article 2, Section 4, it doesn't say anything about witness intimidation."

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Media Matters person:
    Fox News Senior Capitol Hill producer: "Now, when we look at the U.S. Constitution and look at Article 2, Section 4, it doesn't say anything about witness intimidation."

High crimes clearly only refer to becoming unlawfully intoxicated and nothing else.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If the brick being thrown through the home window was not seen be the occupant, but was seen by others in the neighborhood, that is still intimidation yes?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    If the brick being thrown through the home window was not seen be the occupant, but was seen by others in the neighborhood, that is still intimidation yes?

there’s nothing in the constitution about bricks

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Live reporter from the WH lawn:

"The president continues to tweet this morning..."

2019, ladies and gentleman!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Media Matters person:

High crimes clearly only refer to becoming unlawfully intoxicated and nothing else.

Crimes committed in a hot air balloon.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Popular lawyer dog (Luppe Luppen) with related news that is also very bad for Trump and related to Mueller stuff

Roger Stone has been found guilty on all counts.

Trump is having a very, very, very bad day.

Edit:

Here's the list of counts

One obstruction, five for false statements, one for witness intimidation tampering.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Bloomberg reporter

If you think that's bad/stupid, you really don't want to hear what someone on Fox followed it up with.

(Paraphrase)
    "Witness intimidation isn't an impeachable offensive because the Constitution doesn't specifically mention witness intimidation."

I see we've moved from "High crimes and misdemeanors means literal crimes"

To "High crimes and misdemeanors means two specific offenses called 'misdemeanor' and 'high crime' which do not exist"

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Schiff's statement was a coverage of the Ambassador's story. Where the story started and how it moved through different channels. Basically a recap in a way I can't really type as there is a lot. Also talking about her excellent service.

Nunes statement is happening now. First complains that Congress isn't passing bills, a lie as the House is still functioning. The following words have been used by Nunes, "Cult", "Watergate fantasy", and now going at the "third hand/hearsay". Also complaining that the Republicans received a statement saying "Don't out the whistleblower or get reprimanded you chuckle fucks." Now it is the conspiracy about Schiff knowing who the Whistleblower is.

So everything you expect.

Still catching up on the thread, as I can't multitask (like at all), so reading Penny while watching the testimony live is out. But I saw this post, and I find it f'n funny that that statement happened, and we're now in recess so they can go vote.

I wonder if Nunes (like several of his compatriots in the "sit in" who could have sat in the hearings but chose not to, and participate in a stupid stunt instead) will actually go to the House floor, or just bitch about not passing bills.

It's even funnier in the context of how many bills HAVE been passed, and are just sitting on McConnell's desk. House can pass a bill an hour, and it's not going to actually do anything because McConnell is an asshole.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Media Matters person:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76111ab10f83dcf625b25e87baebfc45580221029ba3&rid=giphy.gif

Fun fact, the USDJ does have laws on the books prohibiting tampering with a witness. It doesn't have to be in the constitution to be a law.

There's nothing in the constitution about turning into a kaiju and destroying the Statue of Liberty either.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Popular lawyer dog (Luppe Luppen) with related news that is also very bad for Trump and related to Mueller stuff

https://twitter. com/nycsouthpaw/status/1195383240141524993

Edit:

https://twitter. com/dsamuelsohn/status/1195382153141538818

One obstruction, five for false statements, one for witness intimidation.

I didn't even know his trial was finally coming around. This all kind of got lost in the scrum, but I'm glad to see he is getting reamed for all of this.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

https://twitter. com/nycsouthpaw/status/1195383240141524993

Edit:

https://twitter. com/dsamuelsohn/status/1195382153141538818

One obstruction, five for false statements, one for witness intimidation.

I didn't even know his trial was finally coming around. This all kind of got lost in the scrum, but I'm glad to see he is getting reamed for all of this.

Also, when does Flynn get sentenced? I know that was mostly Mueller but I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved in Ukraine somehow as well.

• Options

Media Matters person:

Fun fact, the USDJ does have laws on the books prohibiting tampering with a witness. It doesn't have to be in the constitution to be a law.

There's nothing in the constitution about turning into a kaiju and destroying the Statue of Liberty either.

They aren't saying that witness tampering isn't illegal, just that it's not an impeachable offense, as its not specifically referenced in the impeachment clause.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options

Media Matters person:

They aren't saying that witness tampering isn't illegal, just that it's not an impeachable offense, as its not specifically referenced in the impeachment clause.

"High crimes and misdemeanors" doesn't have to mean an actual crime in the impeachment clause. The president can be impeached because he picked his nose on camera.

That said, witness tampering is an actual crime, so.

• Options

Media Matters person:

Good thing bribery is right there.

• Options

Media Matters person:

"High crimes and misdemeanors" doesn't have to mean an actual crime in the impeachment clause. The president can be impeached because he picked his nose on camera.

I mean, its really fucking dumb, but their argument is likely "not 'impeachable', and President can't break laws".

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Let's just think about it a second. The argument is, "They did this crime but its not in the list so you can't impeach on this one!" They still admit to the crime. That ain't the best defense.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Edit:

One obstruction, five for false statements, one for witness intimidation tampering.

*pops champagne cork*

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    perjury also not explicitly listed as impeachable but i guess the rules were different in the 90s

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    perjury also not explicitly listed as impeachable but i guess the rules were different in the 90s don't apply to Republicans.

• Options
    edited November 2019

Media Matters person:

I mean, its really fucking dumb, but their argument is likely "not 'impeachable', and President can't break laws".

It's a very stupid argument.
    ARTICLE 1

In his conduct of the office of President of the United States, Richard M. Nixon, in violation of his constitutional oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and, to the best of his ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and in violation of his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, has prevented, obstructed, and impeded the administration of justice, in that:

On June 17, 1972, and prior thereto, agents of the Committee for the Re-election of the President committed unlawful entry of the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee in Washington, District of Columbia, for the purpose of securing political intelligence. Subsequent thereto, Richard M. Nixon, using the powers of his high office, engaged personally and through his close subordinates and agents, in a course of conduct or plan designed to delay, impede, and obstruct the investigation of such illegal entry; to cover up, conceal and protect those responsible; and to conceal the existence and scope of other unlawful covert activities.

The means used to implement this course of conduct or plan included one or more of the following:

making false or misleading statements to lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States;

withholding relevant and material evidence or information from lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States;

approving, condoning, acquiescing in, and counselling witnesses with respect to the giving of false or misleading statements to lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States and false or misleading testimony in duly instituted judicial and congressional proceedings;

interfering or endeavouring to interfere with the conduct of investigations by the Department of Justice of the United States, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the office of Watergate Special Prosecution Force, and Congressional Committees;

approving, condoning, and acquiescing in, the surreptitious payment of substantial sums of money for the purpose of obtaining the silence or influencing the testimony of witnesses, potential witnesses or individuals who participated in such unlawful entry and other illegal activities;

endeavouring to misuse the Central Intelligence Agency, an agency of the United States;

disseminating information received from officers of the Department of Justice of the United States to subjects of investigations conducted by lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States, for the purpose of aiding and assisting such subjects in their attempts to avoid criminal liability;

making or causing to be made false or misleading public statements for the purpose of deceiving the people of the United States into believing that a thorough and complete investigation had been conducted with respect to allegations of misconduct on the part of personnel of the executive branch of the United States and personnel of the Committee for the Re-election of the President, and that there was no involvement of such personnel in such misconduct: or

endeavouring to cause prospective defendants, and individuals duly tried and convicted, to expect favoured treatment and consideration in return for their silence or false testimony, or rewarding individuals for their silence or false testimony.

We've done all this before, but I don't expect Republicans to know how to Google something, I guess.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Some clown called into C-Span's Democratic line regarding Marie Yovanovitch's career choice, insinuating she should be a financial advisor instead of an ambassador because she turned a 200,000 salary over 33 years into a net worth of over 6 million. Then said something about deep state operatives.

But... $200,000 x 33 = $6,600,000. Basic math is too much, I guess?

• Options
    People who call into C-Span can almost certainly be completely ignored. It'd be like going to Yahoo Answers for opinions on the impeachment.

• Options
    People who call into C-Span can almost certainly be completely ignored. It'd be like going to Yahoo Answers for opinions on the impeachment.

"Now I'm not a fan of Trump" means they are very much a fan of Trump, I've noticed.

• Options

"Now I'm not a fan of Trump" means they are very much a fan of Trump, I've noticed.

an old trick in right wing talk radio is to call in and say you’re a democrat

guarantees you get on the air

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

an old trick in right wing talk radio is to call in and say you’re a democrat

guarantees you get on the air

Or pretend you're a Democrat who's seen the "light." Hi, Candace Owens!

This discussion has been closed.