As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scorpions and Shujenga: Tabletop Games Folded 1000 Times

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    By any chance has anyone played Emberwind (https://www.emberwindgame.com/)? I’ve heard people on other forums describe it as a post-4e tactical rpg with flatter math. Have been wanting a game in that vein and am curious if this is a good take on that...

I have not, but I'm checking out the free preview of the manual now, and I like a lot of what it's doing.

My specific favorite thing is that while it has an alternate ruleset for traditional stats available, the way it's set up as default is to pick adjectives that describe your character, and those will give you different bonuses based on what tier/level you are. Being able to say that you are Precise, Evasive, and Deadly is way better than something like having 16 Dexterity.

Anyways, overall it does look like a more ironed out and simplified 4E, and I'm definitely interested in it in that respect. I'm not personally in love with it flavorwise, but in the same way that I've fallen out of love with D&D flavorwise. I will say that the classes feel nice and focused in their actions and roles from what I can see, and it looks like there are two different versions of the warlord available, so it's doing something right at least.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    tbh i've never been sold on psionics as particularly interesting or meaningfully different from arcane magic

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    tbh i've never been sold on psionics as particularly interesting or meaningfully different from arcane magic

They aren't, it's all flavor.

The reason they keep running into problems with psionics is because other than just reskinning/augmenting current magic/classes you get stuck trying to reinvent the wheel on everything. Basically you no matter what end up having to redesign the fireball spell to both be as effective as the current fireball spell but different enough that folks don't recognize that it's just fireball dressed differently and with the math obfuscated. It's a process that can only result in breakage.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

The problem is that the areas where you could get meaningful mechanical distinctions between psionics users and magic users (requirements of material/somatic/verbal components, power source) require you to be so fiddly that it's just not fun and isn't handled well by the system because it's way more detail than 99.9% of players want. So it ends up just being flavor.

That said, I think you can make the same argument for Divine characters as well.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Divine Magic and Arcane Magic have some well-defined niches that distinguish them well enough. To carve out a similar niche for traditional Psionic powers, you'd probably have to do something like gut the Enchantment and Illusion schools for Wizards, so Psi could have the best Mind Control schtick, then leave things like pyrokinesis and telekinesis as overlap areas.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think the reason that psionics isn't meaningfully different is because it's tacked on

If you had a psion as a core class for a new edition, things would feel different

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Psionics should be Sorcerers

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2019
    Divine Magic and Arcane Magic have some well-defined niches that distinguish them well enough. To carve out a similar niche for traditional Psionic powers, you'd probably have to do something like gut the Enchantment and Illusion schools for Wizards, so Psi could have the best Mind Control schtick, then leave things like pyrokinesis and telekinesis as overlap areas.

I dig this idea, since wizards getting mind-reading and other mentalish spells always felt a bit off-brand to me anyway.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The wizards brand is "We get literally all special abilities in the game at one point or another".

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    psychic stuff is totally in the (admittedly incredibly broad) wizarding wheelhouse, it totally fits them

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Psions handle mind magic

Sorcerers handle elemental magi

Priests handle body magic

Abolish wizards

• Options
    no absolutely not

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    In other systems I’m all for narrow focused playbooks/classes, but honestly in D&D 5e sub-classes for the existing core classes are all you need to express a particular idea.

You could easily make a psion sub-class for every class, but particularly monk, warlock and sorcerer.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I feel like shrugging and just giving wizards everything is the source of like 30% of D&D's problems and it doesn't reflect D&D's actual source material that well

like psychic magic is absolutely a thing in pulp sword and sorcery (like James Earl Jones trying to hypnotize Arnold in Conan) but the guys who do that aren't Gandalfs with pointy hats and staffs and big books, they're more like sorcerors or dark priests or whatever

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I actually like the idea that Wizards are better at actual illusion magic, that is making things look like their there but not. The illusion looks like it is there even if there are no observers.

A psion might make you think something is there but they need a mind to fool and they're more individualized. So even something like Minor Image-ing a street sign would be harder for them if they wanted a large group to see it.

Charm effects are tougher but I'd probably push wizarding towards more legalistic bindings and give psions an easier time with intent based things. That sorta screws Enchanters a bit though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I feel like shrugging and just giving wizards everything is the source of like 30% of D&D's problems and it doesn't reflect D&D's actual source material that well

like psychic magic is absolutely a thing in pulp sword and sorcery (like James Earl Jones trying to hypnotize Arnold in Conan) but the guys who do that aren't Gandalfs with pointy hats and staffs and big books, they're more like sorcerors or dark priests or whatever

right so obviously there should be separate gandalf and conan-antagonist wizard classes, just 30 different iterations of the wizard class

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

right so obviously there should be separate gandalf and conan-antagonist wizard classes, just 30 different iterations of the wizard class

Oh you mean 5E?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Bard College of Dreams
    Wizard School of Illusion
    Monk Path of Mental Perfection
    Druid Circle of Foresight
    Brainbarians

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Bard College of Dreams
    Brainbarians

4e slotting monks into psionic was actually a strong thematic choice.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Oh you mean 5E?

sure, along with the 5 versions of "person who fights good"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    A character class that is just the little kid from the twilight zone wishing people into the cornfield

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Uriel wrote: »
    A character class that is just the little kid from the twilight zone wishing people into the cornfield

Or a party that are the Midwich Cuckoos...

Okay but I’m actually adding that to my one-shot idea list.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    By any chance has anyone played Emberwind (https://www.emberwindgame.com/)? I’ve heard people on other forums describe it as a post-4e tactical rpg with flatter math. Have been wanting a game in that vein and am curious if this is a good take on that...

I have not, but I'm checking out the free preview of the manual now, and I like a lot of what it's doing.

My specific favorite thing is that while it has an alternate ruleset for traditional stats available, the way it's set up as default is to pick adjectives that describe your character, and those will give you different bonuses based on what tier/level you are. Being able to say that you are Precise, Evasive, and Deadly is way better than something like having 16 Dexterity.

Anyways, overall it does look like a more ironed out and simplified 4E, and I'm definitely interested in it in that respect. I'm not personally in love with it flavorwise, but in the same way that I've fallen out of love with D&D flavorwise. I will say that the classes feel nice and focused in their actions and roles from what I can see, and it looks like there are two different versions of the warlord available, so it's doing something right at least.

Reading some more of this, I've moved on to the sample combat rules.

Combat is crunchy, but it does appear to be fairly regimented in its crunchiness. You have four action points a round, and different actions require different amounts of action points (fast 1, slow 2, free 0 appears to be the split). It seems like a lot of action points at first, but then you get stuff like slow abilities (so already using 2 action points) that you can add an additional effect to with a fast action.

There's a neat penetration threshold rule for your attacks that I'm pretty fond of, kind of turns it into a more variable effect thing. As far as I can tell you have an accuracy score (fairly high, roll under to hit), a crit score (very low, roll under to crit), and a penetration score, which is somewhere in the middle and if you roll under it you get to ignore the enemy's armor. Different abilities modify different scores, so I'm guessing that's where you get some of the split between like, the warrior class and the rogue class.

It looks like it's also doing one of my favorite things, in that foes do not roll in combat - it's an attack roll to hit them, but a defense roll to avoid being hit. There's only two defenses though, dodge and willpower, which makes things pretty easy there.

There's also some stuff that looks Agon reminiscent about how the storyteller has a cache of narrative points that they can spend to make foes stronger or change the way that combat works, but that was a bit hard to suss out from the preview documents. I think this is partially because there's a way to run this game sans-storyteller? Like, fully automated enemy encounters?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

Reading some more of this, I've moved on to the sample combat rules.

Combat is crunchy, but it does appear to be fairly regimented in its crunchiness. You have four action points a round, and different actions require different amounts of action points (fast 1, slow 2, free 0 appears to be the split). It seems like a lot of action points at first, but then you get stuff like slow abilities (so already using 2 action points) that you can add an additional effect to with a fast action.

There's a neat penetration threshold rule for your attacks that I'm pretty fond of, kind of turns it into a more variable effect thing. As far as I can tell you have an accuracy score (fairly high, roll under to hit), a crit score (very low, roll under to crit), and a penetration score, which is somewhere in the middle and if you roll under it you get to ignore the enemy's armor. Different abilities modify different scores, so I'm guessing that's where you get some of the split between like, the warrior class and the rogue class.

It looks like it's also doing one of my favorite things, in that foes do not roll in combat - it's an attack roll to hit them, but a defense roll to avoid being hit. There's only two defenses though, dodge and willpower, which makes things pretty easy there.

There's also some stuff that looks Agon reminiscent about how the storyteller has a cache of narrative points that they can spend to make foes stronger or change the way that combat works, but that was a bit hard to suss out from the preview documents. I think this is partially because there's a way to run this game sans-storyteller? Like, fully automated enemy encounters?

Thanks for taking a Look at it! Sounds like it will scratch the crunchy tactical fantasy game itch well, especially given that they have DM-less CYOA campaigns to help everyone pick up the rules before starting a ‘real’ campaign.

MsAnthropy on
    Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    Really my only wish is that they did more to feel like their own thing instead of kind of generic high fantasy, but that's a complaint I levy a lot.

I'm still considering picking up the main book, just because it's an interesting piece of work and that's essentially why I buy all RPGs.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Bard College of Dreams
    Brainbarians

It's a great idea if you use psionics as a sort of magic that acts as an extension of the user's will but can't just straight up create something from nothing.

I know a lot of people are attached to the different schools of magic for wizards but I'd rather it was scaled back a bit.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    wizard- classic beard and pointy hat wizard
    psion- bald with forehead tattoo wizard
    sorceror- sexy wizard

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Bard College of Dreams
    Brainbarians

It's a great idea if you use psionics as a sort of magic that acts as an extension of the user's will but can't just straight up create something from nothing.

I know a lot of people are attached to the different schools of magic for wizards but I'd rather it was scaled back a bit.

Hmm it would be interesting to break wizards up a bit, make the magic classes a bit more focused. Might have to mess with that. A lot of work though, thats for sure.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Warlock - cocaine wizard

• Options
    warlocks are sorcerers who took a loan out from a magic loan shark instead of inheriting a modest sum of a million mana

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    sorceror- sexy wizard
    I'm gonna get specific with this one: Two top shirt buttons unbuttoned wizard

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I dunno these three psionic sub-classes seem fine. The Fighter and the Rogue one more so to me, they just seem fun

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I liked one of the 13th Age 3rd party splats that had Warlocks and had this breakdown.

Wizard: Reads every book to pass the test.
    Sorceror: Doesn't need to study and aces it anyway.
    Warlock: Sleeps with the teacher.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    When you say "more like 3.5," do you mean in terms of class complexity and systems design, or fiddly bullshit?

A little from column A, a little from column B.
    It definitely feels to me like "4E retroclone written by PF designers". So it has classes that are very similar to 4E, a lot of general design themes and intent of 4E, but it also has a lot of both feelings inherited from PF as well.
    (I feel like 4E had plenty of fiddly bullshit on its own. PF2 definitely is high in that category, but I don't feel like 4E was significantly lower than 3.5 in that regard, so it's unsurprising to me that the game which draws from both editions has a lot of it going on.)

I think the problem that I have with the 5E attempts at psionics is that the 5E designers agree with you, and I don't.
    For me personally, there's two things going on. First is that I believe firmly as a game design rule that if you're going to make something significantly different and unique in the narrative, then it should be different in the mechanics, and vice versa; if it uses the same mechanics, it should be the same narratively. Reflavoring is fine and great but that's something that should be being done on a table-by-table basis. (Abstraction is different from what I'm talking about here. If you say that all melee weapons of a certain size do the same damage, that's fine, because "melee weapons of a certain size" is just an abstracted the-same-thing. You're always using a weapon.)
    Second is that I do have a strong conception of what psionics is and how it differs from magic. The easiest way to explain it is to use power source terminology.
    Arcane characters draw on power from outside the world.
    Divine characters draw on the power of gods; the exact details of what this means varies by campaign setting.
    Primal characters draw on the power of the natural world.
    Psionic characters draw on the power inside them.
    (Incidentally, this does mean I am happy to view monks as psionic characters. Sorcerers are still arcane because most of their power is still external, if they have an inherited power source it's just the catalyst for their ability to draw on power. It also means I'm unhappy with the druid and ranger spellcasting being identical to other spellcasters, because that means they can't actually add a real primal spellcaster without obviating the existing classes. I don't really like spellcasting rangers anyway, but that's a topic for another cloud yelling session.)

Elddrik on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah, our DM just messaged our group and said we received enough XP to reach level 4. My necromancer is getting closer to finally acquiring mindless minions! 🧙‍♂️

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck yeah, our DM just messaged our group and said we received enough XP to reach level 4. My necromancer is getting closer to finally acquiring mindless minions! 🧙‍♂️

hell yeah

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I think the big issue with Psionics in DnD is that 5th edition has made it hugely, abundantly clear that nothing cool can happen without a spell list or a feature limited like it's a spell list.

At the point where your core mechanic and complexity for most classes is their spell list why would psionics be any different?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I decided to have my necromancer learn mage hand and Maximilian's Earthen Grasp. Now all I need is Bigsby's Hand and along with chill touch (which he already knows), he's committing to a "wizard that likes magical hands" theme :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.