As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    That's actually why I said I couldn't tell if you were serious. I googled it and it came up with news stories about that so I thought you might be making a reference.

I'm not trying to be an asshole but yes, naming a kid Abcde unfortunately means they will probably have to deal with jerks for their entire life. If you loved how the name sounded I probably would have suggested Abcedee/Abcidee/Abcedi/Absuhdee/etc because there's just no way around people seeing "Abcde <lastname>" and reflexively thinking "Wait, what the hell?"

I mean ideally they don't immediately jump to being shitheads about it but I really wouldn't want to trust random people with that.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm not judging you for your SO for liking the name or using it. I'm lamenting that your kiddo might have to deal with assholes far too often.

I might have been a little over sensitive because your comment wasn't too bad. It's abby for short and we love the name. Guessing You found the news article.

But the rest of the replies were just making fun of the name, and cool, some people don't like it. But it was kind of rude. I'm sure some of the people in this thread named their kids I've never touch and could make fun of them too.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    One word of warning about a first name like that: documents and credentials like credit cards, driver's license, possibly info for setting up a bank account, are going to be flagged for spam/false records etc. so stuff like that could take a few extra steps for verification (i.e. someone asking to see a copy of the birth certificate or similar, or an online account gets canceled and you have to prove the name)

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Here in Germany the registry office can actually veto names that they think is too unusual or puts an undue burden on the child in the office's opinion. That's why I wasn't sure if it was the actual name, too, as it is really unusual.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I think the pendulum will always swing between people who have more traditional names and unique ones. People with more common names will want something more unique, and people with unique names will want something that people will understand without it having to be spelled out.

Being a Michael with a Korean middle name, and a last name not pronounced how it looks, I simultaneously understand the desire to not have to double take every time someone asks for Mike (I work with two others, it's very annoying) as well as the annoyance of having bust out the NATO alphabet when confirming my middle or last names or having to learn the ten different ways people may decide to pronounce my name when my table or doctor is ready.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell, kids will tease about just about anything. I don't know that giving into hypothetical bullies in the future is the right way to go. If you love the name, use the name.

My oldest is hitting that teasing age now (3rd grade) and the one kid he really doesn't get along with teases him constantly about his name and it pisses him off. It's the most basic fucking name you could imagine. Doesn't matter, kids will find something.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    As far as I can tell, kids will tease about just about anything. I don't know that giving into hypothetical bullies in the future is the right way to go. If you love the name, use the name.

My oldest is hitting that teasing age now (3rd grade) and the one kid he really doesn't get along with teases him constantly about his name and it pisses him off. It's the most basic fucking name you could imagine. Doesn't matter, kids will find something.

I don't think most people care about teasing or bullies with regards to the name. Like you said, people will figure something out if they want to. It will just make some things more annoying later on in life.

I'd be interested to see a study of what people who were born with hippie love child names from the 60s and 70s go by in their day to day life, as well as what they picked for their kids. If they kept the new naming convention going, or if there is a strong turn back to something more traditional.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I think the pendulum will always swing between people who have more traditional names and unique ones. People with more common names will want something more unique, and people with unique names will want something that people will understand without it having to be spelled out.

Being a Michael with a Korean middle name, and a last name not pronounced how it looks, I simultaneously understand the desire to not have to double take every time someone asks for Mike (I work with two others, it's very annoying) as well as the annoyance of having bust out the NATO alphabet when confirming my middle or last names or having to learn the ten different ways people may decide to pronounce my name when my table or doctor is ready.

Wife and I both have traditional American/Western names, hers is making a comeback. See if you can guess mine...

We went for the same for our daughter Charlotte, after one of my relatives Not a lot of nickname options there, but did give her a shorter middle name.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Tarantio wrote: »
    We're still deciding on a name for our coming daughter, with the challenge that it should work in both Swedish and English. And my wife also seems to lean towards less common/traditional names.

Right now the leading contender is Nell. I like it, but I'm not super fond of the immediate transition to Nelly that will definitely happen. And the literary connection to orphans is... somewhat questionable.
    When I see Nelly, I think of Nelly Bly who is awesome.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Wife and I both have traditional American/Western names, hers is making a comeback. See if you can guess mine...

We went for the same for our daughter Charlotte, after one of my relatives Not a lot of nickname options there, but did give her a shorter middle name.

Charlotte seems like it would have lots of nicknames. Char, Charly, Charles, Chuck.

Or obscurely, Spider, Web, etc.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Our kids have unusual (in the US, anyway) names, so I tried to go for what I thought was the most commonly-known/easy to spell spelling, only to have everyone misspell them anyway. D’oh!

However, having spent many years now working with payroll for many companies, I’ve learned there’s no name that doesn’t get misspelled at one point or another, and non-common spellings are sometimes really useful and avoid mix-ups!

My son’s name is Nikolai, we call him Niko. Once in a Facebook group someone mentioned wanting to name their dog Niko, but wanted an uncommon spelling (not Niko or Nico). I collected a list of 41 variations on this four-letter name from all the comments!

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    That's actually why I said I couldn't tell if you were serious. I googled it and it came up with news stories about that so I thought you might be making a reference.

I'm not trying to be an asshole but yes, naming a kid Abcde unfortunately means they will probably have to deal with jerks for their entire life. If you loved how the name sounded I probably would have suggested Abcedee/Abcidee/Abcedi/Absuhdee/etc because there's just no way around people seeing "Abcde <lastname>" and reflexively thinking "Wait, what the hell?"

I mean ideally they don't immediately jump to being shitheads about it but I really wouldn't want to trust random people with that.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm not judging you for your SO for liking the name or using it. I'm lamenting that your kiddo might have to deal with assholes far too often.

I might have been a little over sensitive because your comment wasn't too bad. It's abby for short and we love the name. Guessing You found the news article.

But the rest of the replies were just making fun of the name, and cool, some people don't like it. But it was kind of rude. I'm sure some of the people in this thread named their kids I've never touch and could make fun of them too.

I too am sorry for coming off as an asshole. The middle part of my post was just a an offhand joke without much thought behind. Tone of voice doesn't come through very well in the written format. My deepest apologies.

You name your daughter whatever you damn please and that's no one elses business.

HappylilElf also summarized my thoughts on the topic quite well.

Movitz on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Once in a Facebook group someone mentioned wanting to name their dog Niko, but wanted an uncommon spelling (not Niko or Nico). I collected a list of 41 variations on this four-letter name from all the comments!

The one time this could possibly matter is when you are taking the dog to the vet.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The recentish Freakonomics podcast about names was super interesting.

Long story short: names have no causal link to outcomes, but they do reflect the socioeconomic status of your parents when you born. For that reason there's a correlation with outcomes. Although basically nobody gives a shit about unique names once you leave school. Also there was somebody called Marijuana Pepsi which is up there with those stories you hear about kids called Chlamydia

It's super interesting stuff.

But yes, I assumed abcde was a joke. I'm not sure why it's offensive to consider other parts of the alphabet also as potential names, it seems a bit of an odd line in the sand. Didn't mean to mock you for your choice though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I heard ESPN pronounced "espen" was popular a few years ago.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    In Jewish tradition it's customary to name a child using the full name or first initial of a departed loved one. I've had a lot of relatives die, and Ellie was going to be our only child, so there was a lot to go for. The available initials that I had were E, H, D, C, B, and M.

Mom's side of the family is Scottish descent and there's a tradition that the eldest of each generation gets the middle name Lindsay, after the family clan.

Growing up as a Sarah in the 80/90s, I really didn't want a name that would be as popular, so I looked at the name registry top 100 for the previous year.

I wanted her to have a name that also reflected my values and her Jewish heritage.

Thank goodness we had a girl so all of this fit for her.

Her English name is Eleanor Hadassah Lindsay. And she has a Hebrew name of Chaya Dayenu.

But we call her Ellie, and she already knows two other Eleanor's. So I did ok.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Long story short: names have no causal link to outcomes, but they do reflect the socioeconomic status of your parents when you born. For that reason there's a correlation with outcomes. Although basically nobody gives a shit about unique names once you leave school. Also there was somebody called Marijuana Pepsi which is up there with those stories you hear about kids called Chlamydia

But yes, I assumed abcde was a joke. I'm not sure why it's offensive to consider other parts of the alphabet also as potential names, it seems a bit of an odd line in the sand. Didn't mean to mock you for your choice though.

"Names have no causal link to outcomes" is not what I've seen other studies say. Specifically, names that are correlated with race tend to affect hire rates and such, yeah?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah that was covered and while I can remember how they gathered the data, I don't remember the conclusion

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

"Names have no causal link to outcomes" is not what I've seen other studies say. Specifically, names that are correlated with race tend to affect hire rates and such, yeah?

I wonder what effect goofy names that sound white like “Galadriel” or “Skywalker” have. I suspect none.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Yeah that was covered and while I can remember how they gathered the data, I don't remember the conclusion

There's been at least one study where names coded as "white" or "black" names (as determined by a survey I believe) were used on identical resumes in two American cities (Boston and Chicago), and the number of callbacks for interviews was tracked:

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/sendhil/files/are_emily_and_greg_more_employable_than_lakisha_and_jamal.pdf

The results were about what you would expect

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    So auto rockers and the likes, how the fu k do they kill kids? My baby seems to love them, and I see how they could turn to the side.

My brothers girlfriend is convinced baby's forget to breathe. She's never followed the rules. All 5 of her kids are alive!

I'm 38 now and at about 25 I had a friend's kid die of sids. So I'm paranoid as fuck.

But seriously, any thoughts on how safe they are?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    So auto rockers and the likes, how the fu k do they kill kids? My baby seems to love them, and I see how they could turn to the side.

My brothers girlfriend is convinced baby's forget to breathe. She's never followed the rules. All 5 of her kids are alive!

I'm 38 now and at about 25 I had a friend's kid die of sids. So I'm paranoid as fuck.

We used the Rock n Play for both of our kids, and found it to be amazingly useful. So much so that we bought it for numerous other parents we knew as a baby shower gift, and I recommended it on these forums on more than one occasion.

But, Fisher Price wouldn't have recalled over 4 million of 'em if there weren't genuine concerns about the safety. Our experiences were good, as well as those of the families we bought them for. But if we were to have another kid now? I don't think I'd be able to use one. It's just not a chance I'd want to take.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Infants are proportionally different, anatomically speaking then adults and even toddlers. This makes them susceptible to asphyxiation by having their airways blocked by their tongues and other such obstructions. Also makes them susceptible to head traumas.

And now to do cpr

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is this similar to the issue of dieing if left in a car seat at the wrong angle?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    It's a very particular model that was recalled and one that seems to encourage you to let the baby sleep in it

They need some neck muscles to use them really as otherwise their head can end up to far forward and that blocks the airways

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I'm struggling a bit.

I pick Ellie up from daycare around 5 every day. As it's getting into summer the kids are outside a lot more, doing a lot more running around, getting more sunshine, than they were over winter.

As such, she's getting home and being extremely tired. Just absolutely passing out on the couch. And she will sleep for 2 hours! if you try to wake her at 20 minutes she will wake up, interact, and then fall right back to sleep.

Do I go back to asking daycare to give her a small nap during the day? do I find ways to force her to stay up and then move bedtime earlier? Right now bedtime is at 8. Ecco doesn't get home from work until 630 and if we want to eat dinner together then we're not finishing up dinner until 7, and she needs some downtime with her daddy at the end of the day or she's a miserable pain in the ass to get to sleep and it just results in sobbing meltdowns either way.

She'll be 4 in February and I know there's a lot of emotional development going on in that brain of hers as well. Has anybody else dealt with this?

• Options
    I don't see why asking her to go back to having a nap at daycare should hurt.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Is she being a problem to put to sleep at bedtime if she does go to sleep when she gets home? If so, then she needs to go back to the nap, if not, then it's not really an issue for her to get some rest when she gets home provided she wakes up for dinner. It's not like she has homework to do ;)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Ketar wrote: »

We used the Rock n Play for both of our kids, and found it to be amazingly useful. So much so that we bought it for numerous other parents we knew as a baby shower gift, and I recommended it on these forums on more than one occasion.

But, Fisher Price wouldn't have recalled over 4 million of 'em if there weren't genuine concerns about the safety. Our experiences were good, as well as those of the families we bought them for. But if we were to have another kid now? I don't think I'd be able to use one. It's just not a chance I'd want to take.

My counterpoint to this is why noone should ever make toys for children. Fisher price would have recalled every single one of them if there was a single death for any reason, including parental neglect. When companies make toys like this they pretty much have to budget for a complete recall as part of the sales price.

Unfortunately while the proactive response of the government here is important it makes it near impossible to know if a product is safe or unsafe,as every popular item will eventually be recalled.

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Is she being a problem to put to sleep at bedtime if she does go to sleep when she gets home? If so, then she needs to go back to the nap, if not, then it's not really an issue for her to get some rest when she gets home provided she wakes up for dinner. It's not like she has homework to do ;)

Though, I will say for a lot of kids totally dropping the nap at 4 is hard. She might just need more sleep.

• Options

Though, I will say for a lot of kids totally dropping the nap at 4 is hard. She might just need more sleep.

If she sleeps at school, she's up until ten.
    If she sleeps at home, she's up until ten.
    If I can get her to stay awake after school, she sleeps at about 830.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Melatonin was our solve for Jaina not sleeping at night. We couldn't get her to go to sleep until 10-11 at night. Now we give her melatonin at around 7 and she's asleep by 8-830.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Man, we were out of the house all day between visiting my wifes parents and my family, meaning Sapling skipped her nap, and she is having an absolute melt down. Cried at the top of her lungs for 3/4 of the hour drive home. Cried when I tried to take her clothes off so she could have a bath, cried when I tried to take her out of the bath. I'm glad I already have tomorrow off so I don't have to bother calling in sick.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

My counterpoint to this is why noone should ever make toys for children. Fisher price would have recalled every single one of them if there was a single death for any reason, including parental neglect. When companies make toys like this they pretty much have to budget for a complete recall as part of the sales price.

Unfortunately while the proactive response of the government here is important it makes it near impossible to know if a product is safe or unsafe,as every popular item will eventually be recalled.

That clearly isn't true, since there were over 30 deaths over a ten year period. If your counterpoint was accurate they would have been recalled years earlier.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Brody wrote: »
    Man, we were out of the house all day between visiting my wifes parents and my family, meaning Sapling skipped her nap, and she is having an absolute melt down. Cried at the top of her lungs for 3/4 of the hour drive home. Cried when I tried to take her clothes off so she could have a bath, cried when I tried to take her out of the bath. I'm glad I already have tomorrow off so I don't have to bother calling in sick.

Brutal. So far I’ve only had a melt down occur for maybe the last few minutes of a car ride, and it was an absolutely horrible experience. Like, you hear stories about kids with collic and you think, “yeah that sounds bad.” But after only 5 minutes, I was thinking, “I would go insane if my kid cried for literal hours at a time.” No way I could handle that.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hey, so, since it's Black Friday and xmas season, what are your guys experiences with batteries for toys? Are rechargeable worth the hassle? I've got my eye on the amazon basics one as they're on sale today. My son is 3.5 and he seems to have a bunch of stuff with batteries that keep needing replacement, toy trains, etc. I feel bad chucking out all these used batteries.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

Brutal. So far I’ve only had a melt down occur for maybe the last few minutes of a car ride, and it was an absolutely horrible experience. Like, you hear stories about kids with collic and you think, “yeah that sounds bad.” But after only 5 minutes, I was thinking, “I would go insane if my kid cried for literal hours at a time.” No way I could handle that.

I mean, its not the first in car meltdown we've had. When she was really little her reflux and cleft palate meant we couldn't feed her in the car seat, so any trip that was longer than her feeding breaks ended up being super awful.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Corvus wrote: »
    Hey, so, since it's Black Friday and xmas season, what are your guys experiences with batteries for toys? Are rechargeable worth the hassle? I've got my eye on the amazon basics one as they're on sale today. My son is 3.5 and he seems to have a bunch of stuff with batteries that keep needing replacement, toy trains, etc. I feel bad chucking out all these used batteries.

If you're asking environmental impacts, I'm not sure it is as clear cut as you think. The rechargeables often have heavy metals and other things with a bigger impact, even if you use less of them.
    Also, rechargeables are still a consumable. You're probably aware of this, but every battery type will have capacity fade and eventually not be usable. For heavy use stuff it's usually 1-2 years. then you have to replace and the old ones have to be taken to a battery collection place (can NOT put them in the trash).
    If you're going to do it, I recommend having a fair amount of extras that are always in the charging station. That way when one set dies you are just replacing rather than having to wait for the set that died to charge. Whenever I only have a few rechargeables I always forget this, and it is so amazingly annoying to find the thing you want to use is dead and will not be running again for 2-4 hours.
    Unless you get the super expensive rechargeables, or if you buy the cheapest of cheap alkalines, it's likely that the rechargeables won't last as long on a single use. It is very dependent on the type, brand, etc, but maybe think like 60-80% as long as a rule of thumb? It's been a while since I've looked at that though.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Melatonin was our solve for Jaina not sleeping at night. We couldn't get her to go to sleep until 10-11 at night. Now we give her melatonin at around 7 and she's asleep by 8-830.

Same here. The youngest would stay awake until 2200-2330, so I finally went out and got the children's 1mg melatonin. He gets is at 2000 and is out like a light by 2045.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Corvus wrote: »

Enoloop batteries are amazing.

• Options

If she sleeps at school, she's up until ten.
    If she sleeps at home, she's up until ten.
    If I can get her to stay awake after school, she sleeps at about 830.

All those times are pretty late, have you tried getting her up earlier. Maybe you can get her a nap and be down by 9 if she gets up an hour earlier?