Options

Zack and Miri Make [movies]

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Interesting take on the whole Ready Player One premise:
    https://youtu.be/X2m-08cOAbc

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I can just imagine the utter "WTF?!?!" of that one player, when
    an apparently ordinary NPC, a non-combat one at that, starts acting glitchy and then one-shots him. Bonus if losing the glasses means his account can't log in again (or "already is"), and support won't tell him why.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Ryan Reynolds goes Turbo

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Knives Out was so much fun. I was swaying with delight as the family was at each other's throats at the inheritance meeting.

It hits a bit close to home because I have well off step-family members that are exactly like the Thrombeys.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Upstream Color, but I rank Primer higher if only because the obtuseness and general sense of wtf is thematically perfect for that particular story - basically, "time travel gets fucking weird, man." Whereas UC mostly seems obtuse for the sake of being obtuse.
    I dunno - I agree in that that seems to be Carruth's style, but Upstream Color's plot fits pretty perfectly with it too.
    I mean the whole idea is that these parasites blend your experience with those of others, so that by the end the two main characters can't differentiate their own childhoods from each other's and also have the memories and experiences of pigs. Meanwhile the Sampler is experiencing many lives at once. The characters themselves are extremely confused, so I found the structure to match that perfectly. It was pretty straightforward early on but got more scattered as things progress.

I love both of his films, but I think I might love UC more. Need to watch it again to be sure though.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    The peloton ad is something else, it's so weirdly awkward and she looks like a cult member and holy snappers, the internet backlash is bizarrely creepy and weirder yet.

Still, score one for RR's gin I guess.

PSA: Aviation gin is good!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So watched Jumanji: The next level on previews this weekend and its... Ok. It's great to see the cast having fun together again and the set pieces are great, it also does just about enough different to not make it a total rehash. However, lots of content feels recycled from the earlier film.

It does have a great stinger at the end though!

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Ryan Reynolds goes Turbo

Wreck-it Ryan

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

So this started out as a ReBoot prequel, right?

Nobeard on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Caught Shotcaller on Netflix last night. Felt like it was missing a scene at the end. Jacob's story was incomplete.
    I was sure he was either going to commit suicide after killing The Beast and turning in the guns or get shown ordering something else heinous in order cement that he's willingly continuing down the path

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Ryan Reynolds has earned my trust to do whatever he wants and ill see it.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

And roped in Jodie Comer as well. Sold.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I was a bit underwhelmed by Ready or Not - or, to be precise, I went in with the wrong expectations. Based on the trailer and the reviews I'd read, I expected it to be more funny. It's still reasonably amusing, but the tone is much less immediately comedic than I'd expected.

What definitely got a startled yet delighted laugh from me, though, was the ending. Mr. Le Bail does not fuck around. And that final line was just beautiful.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I was a bit underwhelmed by Ready or Not - or, to be precise, I went in with the wrong expectations. Based on the trailer and the reviews I'd read, I expected it to be more funny. It's still reasonably amusing, but the tone is much less immediately comedic than I'd expected.

What definitely got a startled yet delighted laugh from me, though, was the ending. Mr. Le Bail does not fuck around. And that final line was just beautiful.

Yeah, I expected it to be much more coy.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »

And roped in Jodie Comer as well. Sold.

Should've let her stay scouse in this one

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Incredibly late for the Goodfellas thing, the only issue I have with the movie, is that it was made too soon, after the movie ends, Henry Hill´s life goes to hell, he is caught selling drugs, kicked out of the protection program, becomes an alcoholic, tries to run a couple of businesses wich fail and makes a living doing apearances on radio and tv reliving the worst parts of his life until he died.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

My biggest problem was the twist:
    the husband being the bad guy felt completely out of left field and narratively wrong. It worked in a certain other slasher flick with a badass female lead(I won't spoil it but you probably know which one I mean), but not in this.

Possibly the best final line of all time. It can definitely lean pretty hard into horror at some points, though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

the husband being the bad guy felt completely out of left field and narratively wrong. It worked in a certain other slasher flick with a badass female lead(I won't spoil it but you probably know which one I mean), but not in this.

Possibly the best final line of all time. It can definitely lean pretty hard into horror at some points, though.

I mean, it was foreshadowed throughout the movie.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

He was also cuffed to a wood bed. Like kick that shit and free yourself.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Hey, you got your Stranger Things in my Ghostbusters

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZFCF--uRY

Interest is piqued.

Edit: whoops, forgot we had a dedicated trailer thread.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Incredibly late for the Goodfellas thing, the only issue I have with the movie, is that it was made too soon, after the movie ends, Henry Hill´s life goes to hell, he is caught selling drugs, kicked out of the protection program, becomes an alcoholic, tries to run a couple of businesses wich fail and makes a living doing apearances on radio and tv reliving the worst parts of his life until he died.

That's not really the story the movie is trying to tell though.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Watched like 90% of The Irishman. It would have been better as a miniseries. As-is, it feels like you're stuck at a kitchen table with your uncle who's telling you every wildly exaggerated or made up story he can think of about how he and his buddies were, like, totally mafia badasses back in the day.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

That's not really the story the movie is trying to tell though.
    Maybe not, but it sure does drive home the point that becoming an aspiring career criminal at the age of 13 probably does not prepare one best for life as a functioning contributing member of society...

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

The twist makes some sense though, if you think about it rationally.
    He asks if she’s gonna stay with him after this. He realizes that (fucking obviously) she won’t. Earlier he’d hoped that he could save her and she’d still stay, so it was worth the risk that the curse was true, and that the family would die.

But once she was gonna be lost to him *anyway* he figures why take the risk?

Yes, this makes him a murderer and a real asshole. But it makes sense.

Definitely feel like the trailer sold it wrong though. Not nearly as much comedy...even dark comedy...as expected. Did love it, though.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Hey, you got your Stranger Things in my Ghostbusters

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZFCF--uRY

Interest is piqued.

Edit: whoops, forgot we had a dedicated trailer thread.

Wait, what?

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

The twist makes some sense though, if you think about it rationally.
    He asks if she’s gonna stay with him after this. He realizes that (fucking obviously) she won’t. Earlier he’d hoped that he could save her and she’d still stay, so it was worth the risk that the curse was true, and that the family would die.

But once she was gonna be lost to him *anyway* he figures why take the risk?

Yes, this makes him a murderer and a real asshole. But it makes sense.

Definitely feel like the trailer sold it wrong though. Not nearly as much comedy...even dark comedy...as expected. Did love it, though.

I mean, she
    knocks a kid right the fuck out. I thought it was pretty funny. Also, what happens to her dress.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Knives Out wound up being a ton of fun! I wish we'd get more whodunnits.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

I love every second of this trailer.

I hope Keith David is in it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I was kind of looking forward to Richard Jewell until I found out that it strongly implies (falsely) that Olivia Wilde’s reporter character (a real person, who died in 2001) trades sex for information from Jon Hamm’a FBI agent character.

Just...why? Why make something like that up? The real story doesn’t exactly paint the people who accused Jewell in a favorable light, so why add misogynistic character assassination to the mix?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Because youre clint eastwood

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I was kind of looking forward to Richard Jewell until I found out that it strongly implies (falsely) that Olivia Wilde’s reporter character (a real person, who died in 2001) trades sex for information from Jon Hamm’a FBI agent character.

Just...why? Why make something like that up? The real story doesn’t exactly paint the people who accused Jewell in a favorable light, so why add misogynistic character assassination to the mix?

Can I point out the irony? Or is it too obvious?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »

Can I point out the irony? Or is it too obvious?

Yes. It's ironic that Clint Eastwood turned a fuckup by the FBI into a slander against a now deceased female reporter who, from all accounts, just did her job reporting on the FBI having a suspect who later turned out to be innocent.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Someone decided a movie about a suspected terrorist attack and massive government fuckup wasn't sexy enough

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll delve into how the real terrorist was a right wing lunatic that was able to hide out in rural North Carolina for years.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Someone decided a movie about a suspected terrorist attack and massive government fuckup wasn't sexy enough

It's a Republican doing his "Fake News" movie about the FBI and the media conspiring to entrap an innocent man. The weird thing is that Eastwood chose not a cable TV reporter - i.e. the ones most vulnerable to criticism due to the media circus - but a local newspaper reporter. It was a systemic failure, but Eastwood wanted his Hollywood villain.

For these kind of stories, the local media has very little control over the national news circus, and the local paper's big sin was that it had the first article about how the investigation had turned toward Jewell. The story was always coming out, though. Editors at the Washington Post were literally meeting about how law enforcement sources were naming Jewell to everyone when the paper came out.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll delve into how the real terrorist was a right wing lunatic that was able to hide out in rural North Carolina for years.

the real villain was an empty chair all along

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Knives Out was a good time
    I was kinda sad that Chris Evans turned out to have done it, because the Will scene where he just knows the family gets zip and he's entirely there just for the look on their faces with no other motive is just a great moment, and turning out oh it's okay because he's planning to get his anyway saps some of that energy in retrospect.

I like how the movie kinda points out how destructive all this plotting and scheming really is, particularly the bombshell that if Marta had been allowed to call an ambulance, Harlan would still be there. And the fact she saved herself by not playing that game.

The ending was fun too. Not subtle by any means, but sometimes you want something blunt. She's up there, they're down there, what will happen? No need for an answer.

It was interesting to see a Murder Mystery in a big house where the discussion isn't like how the colonies are acting up and Germany's getting antsy but instead they discuss modern current affairs.

Definitely a memorable stylish thing full of people giving it their hammy best.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Having seen some of the bigger oscar bait movies of the year now, and going through the decade, this is my top 20 list for 2010-2019. It's interesting, because there are some years where what would have been the best movie of the year wouldn't get in the top three in another year (2010 vs. 2017). Anyway, first five are in that order for the decade, the rest can be placed however, I could make a list but I don't know, feeling cute might watch Jack & Jill later:

Paddington
    Paddington 2
    Hell or High Water
    Wolf of Wall Street
    Man From Nowhere
    New World
    Your Name
    Storks
    John Wick
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    Senna
    London Has Fallen
    Darkest Hour
    The Villainess
    Deadpool
    Bone Tomahawk
    Fast Five
    21 Jump Street
    What We Do In the Shadows
    Dredd

Runner-ups:
    The Rover
    Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
    Brawl In Cell Block 99
    Penguin Highway
    American Animals
    Tangled

@TexiKen

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Just saw Ready or Not, and it's only not the best horror movie I've seen this year because I just watched You're Next.

It wasn't as comedic as it suggested, but when it decided to go for funny it was really fucking funny, so it's all good.

Samara Weaving is a raw charisma machine and I loved her from the opening scene. Her reactions and delivery were just perfect throughout.
    "FUCKING RICH PEOPLE"

And yeah, the ending was glorious. I wish I'd caught this in theaters, but whatevs. I'll probably end up buying it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Also, after watching Ready or Not, Amazon Prime suggests I watch a movie called I See You. It stars Helen Hunt, and... has 13/5 stars and was filmed in the year 9999?

I admit, I am intrigued by what is apparently an impossibly good movie from the distant future.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.