Options

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I also saw a snake time cop!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or was the post-credit scene really uncomfortable? I mean, I know Rick's an abusive asshole, but that move crossed a bit of a line with me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Is it just me, or was the post-credit scene really uncomfortable? I mean, I know Rick's an abusive asshole, but that move crossed a bit of a line with me.

They tend to try to kill each other a lot. Morty has left Rick for dead this very season.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

They tend to try to kill each other a lot. Morty has left Rick for dead this very season.

He didn't leave him for dead. He was already totally dead.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Let's not forget that Morty tried to purge Rick as well. They do not have a healthy relationship.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Rick is a bad person that does bad things, and the post-credit scene is to remind us of that. Gotta keep up those character anvils, even in an otherwise comedic episode, until the community gets it.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    The snake "heil Hitler" salute and all that bit is sucha great call back to the first episode of the season.

also, the note that they give snake Lincoln just says " SSSS" on it

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It did make me uncomfortable but only because it's one of the few times where the dysfunction wasn't way over the top and actually relatable.

Overall, punching Morty is probably at the bottom of the list concerning malicious actions Rick has taken against him.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    It did make me uncomfortable but only because it's one of the few times where the dysfunction wasn't way over the top and actually relatable.

Overall, punching Morty is probably at the bottom of the list concerning malicious actions Rick has taken against him.

hell in the same episode Rick opens the spaceship door and nearly blows Morty's head up

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

That's why it made me uncomfortable. Letting a kid get mauled by aliens or folks being callously marooned on a weird planet? Awful but wild and escapist.

Dispassionately punching him in the face to teach him a lesson? That's millions of kids' living nightmares.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular

That's why it made me uncomfortable. Letting a kid get mauled by aliens or folks being callously marooned on a weird planet? Awful but wild and escapist.

Dispassionately punching him in the face to teach him a lesson? That's millions of kids' living nightmares.

I read it more of a dispassionately closing the time loop kind of thing, that required Morty having a black eye.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    That was a great episode.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Thro wrote: »

I read it more of a dispassionately closing the time loop kind of thing, that required Morty having a black eye.

Except he explicitly called out his actions that led to the event. IE - This is because you didn't listen to me, it's your fault you're getting hit.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Thro wrote: »

Except he explicitly called out his actions that led to the event. IE - This is because you didn't listen to me, it's your fault you're getting hit.

I don't think you two are really disagreeing. He absolutely said that, it was absolutely to make the whole thing even worse and I didn't read much real emotion from Rick during it which also makes it worse.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It was more of an "oh yeah almost forgot" kind of reaction

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So the rest of the season is some time next year right? How many episodes left?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So the rest of the season is some time next year right? How many episodes left?

5 more.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    finally a good episode.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    The way Jerry flew off into the sky when he lost his shoes, and then again when they threw him out of the bar, absolutely killed me. What a great little bit of physical comedy; the animators on this show are so goddamn talented.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I enjoyed how everyone in the bar was so inexplicably hostile about Jerry's rock.

"BIG man holdin' a big rock. Think you can take ME down?"
    "DROP the ROCK"
    "You think yer better than us!?"

• Options
    No, obviously not, you're huge!

There are an awful lot of ceiling fans in here

yeah, the Jerry side plot was amazing

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Don't forget the completely nonsensical "Take your girlfriend with you" when they throw the rock out the door after Jerry is gone.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I greatly appreciate that Jerry's progressed to determined buffoon instead of simpering buffoon. He's still the dumbest one in the room but he's at least trying now.

• Options
    I was kind of sad for Jerry that his number isn't in Beth's phone

.... maybe she is a clone

• Options
    I greatly appreciate that Jerry's progressed to determined buffoon instead of simpering buffoon. He's still the dumbest one in the room but he's at least trying now.

Even Rick is grudgingly proud of him, which says a lot.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Also I feel like nobody has discussed what a completely terrible plan Morty had, even ignoring how it wound up backfiring.

Like buy a random non-sapient snake, SHARPIE the correct patterns onto it, stuff it back into the broken spacesuit and parachute it onto a random part of the planet (which Rick said had like 10,000 nations or something?) and hope that, what? Nobody notices their astronaut suddenly acting like a feral animal covered in sharpie?

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Also I feel like nobody has discussed what a completely terrible plan Morty had, even ignoring how it wound up backfiring.

Like buy a random non-sapient snake, SHARPIE the correct patterns onto it, stuff it back into the broken spacesuit and parachute it onto a random part of the planet (which Rick said had like 10,000 nations or something?) and hope that, what? Nobody notices their astronaut suddenly acting like a feral animal covered in sharpie?

You are giving Morty too much credit. He probably did not think past shedding his guilt.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    I'm waiting for an episode where Rick snubs Morty for Jerry and Morty does something horrible to get Rick back.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular

I was pleasantly surprised that he thought to use his pants as a way to catch rain water to anchor him down.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

You are giving Morty too much credit. He probably did not think past shedding his guilt.

In fairness to Morty, it worked.

I mean, it backfired spectacularly, but the snakes bought that part of it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    While Rick is normally an asshole in all things, he pretty much hits the nail on the head at the start of this episode: if the first thing a snake astronaut does is space-slither over to bite the first non-snake intelligent being that the species has encountered, those snakes aren't going anywhere. I get why he's pretty mad at Morty for this one, that was a looooot of dealing with snakes because Morty just wouldn't stay inside the car.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

I was pleasantly surprised that he thought to use his pants as a way to catch rain water to anchor him down.

He got himself back to the ground twice without calling Rick for help.
    That seems like a win in my book.

Okay, he took down an airliner in the process, so maybe not, like, a flawless victory. But, still, a check in the "Jerry Wins" column. Maybe with an asterisk, maybe not.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »

He got himself back to the ground twice without calling Rick for help.
    That seems like a win in my book.

Okay, he took down an airliner in the process, so maybe not, like, a flawless victory. But, still, a check in the "Jerry Wins" column. Maybe with an asterisk, maybe not.

He thinks he merely forced it to land, though, rather than causing it to crash and kill everyone aboard (which it obviously did).

I do appreciate him being a determined idiot over a simpering idiot, though. It seems like the guy who does his VA work always fucking plays a spineless, helpless moron and it's usually the same moron, so I'm pretty tired of seeing that character.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Airliners can definitely land in a scenario where a human-snake hybrid cyborg sent from the future is ingested into an engine, as long as the incident doesn't happen on takeoff or landing.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The more I think about it, I am confident this entire season is a response from Harmon as to the uglier fanbase just wanting RICK AND MORTY ADVENTURES instead of the character arcs I personally liked.

Which is why I predict the last half of the season will be a five part miniseries all connected entirely character based.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I was kind of sad for Jerry that his number isn't in Beth's phone

.... maybe she is a clone

I think clone Beth would be more likely to bother having his number in her phone.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I feel like Rick would give at least enough of a shit to make his clone daughter not have the memories of him telling the real Beth about the clone stuff.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I feel like Rick would give at least enough of a shit to make his clone daughter not have the memories of him telling the real Beth about the clone stuff.

I think thats why hes so annoyed shed even ask

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's funnier if she's Clone Beth though.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    There was apparently going to be a scene in the Snake Oval Office that ended up getting cut where this photograph of Snake FDR would have been featured.

9yr428deicc0.png

An artist for the show shared it on the Something Awful Rick & Morty thread.

Hexmage-PA on