Options

[Chat]ar. Guitar [chat]. A [chat] with a theme of the fretted instrument called guitar.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    1hbXUoKh.jpg

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »

I feel bad for those who got stuck in the theater with the endless loop bug

Hopefully they can go home after the patch drops

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    The thing about the Witcher show I didn't like the most is
    So many of the plot contrivances are os eye-gougingly stereotypical that I can barely handle it.

I don't have a good way to describe it, but so many choices feel like they watched a Feminist Frequency video and used the tropes for writing inspiration.

In the learning to do magic scene the only black witch is the one who gets burned! The witches give up their uterus to be beautiful! The weird dragon guy has two silent but deadly black body guards who aren't explained! An assassin kills a woman cause she can't make a male baby! The powerful witch just wants to be a mom, actually! Renfri (?) is motivated by her rape!

I'm just....tired at this point. Complaining about this is going to make people roll their eyes I know but it's just so jarring to see in a show this modern, and from Netflix, which usually has a better track record.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    So many of the plot contrivances are os eye-gougingly stereotypical that I can barely handle it.

I don't have a good way to describe it, but so many choices feel like they watched a Feminist Frequency video and used the tropes for writing inspiration.

In the learning to do magic scene the only black witch is the one who gets burned! The witches give up their uterus to be beautiful! The weird dragon guy has two silent but deadly black body guards who aren't explained! An assassin kills a woman cause she can't make a male baby! The powerful witch just wants to be a mom, actually! Renfri (?) is motivated by her rape!

I'm just....tired at this point. Complaining about this is going to make people roll their eyes I know but it's just so jarring to see in a show this modern, and from Netflix, which usually has a better track record.

The weirdest thing about this is that
    you might be tempted to justify it by saying, well, the books were written by a guy in the 80s, they're going to feel a bit outdated culturally.

But almost all of the points you've highlighted weren't in the books. The weakest parts of the scripts are consistently where they've decided to change things from the novels and I can't figure out for the life of me what motivated some of those changes.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

you might be tempted to justify it by saying, well, the books were written by a guy in the 80s, they're going to feel a bit outdated culturally.

But almost all of the points you've highlighted weren't in the books. The weakest parts of the scripts are consistently where they've decided to change things from the novels and I can't figure out for the life of me what motivated some of those changes.

I was just about to ask if those were book things. Yeah, now that Arch has pointed those things out, they do seem fucked up.

• Options
    I've never read the books and only played like 5 hours of Witcher 3 so I have no idea what is or isn't source material

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

ive neither read, played not watched any witchers but this sounds like "Let's make it 45% edgier" kinda stuff.

• Options
    On a different note I've been eating toast with pepper jelly for breakfast and I was trying to figure out the origins of it snd apparently its texas???

@spool32 is this tru

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This might be the americanest thing I have ever seen.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Would you have to pay Dominos back if you broke the promise?

• Options
    Would you have to pay Dominos back if you broke the promise?
    The Noid fucks, Dominos doesn't judge

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    What a ripoff all I had to do back then was to say I read a book to get a free pizza coupon.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Date 3-7-08

God damn it, Ohio!

• Options
    Mari Kando method but the only thing that sparks joy is my cat

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

No one who has seen Cats can every truly go home.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Combining capitalist with puritanical religion. AMERICA!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mister Mistpholes is the One Ring

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

No one who has seen Cats can every truly go home.

Home is͟ wḩere t̴͓̺̟̹͙ͅh̤e͎̹̤̰̻̭͖͜ C̡̡̞A̶̰̪̜̱͕̼̫T҉̪̻̳͔̪̪͙͢͡ͅS͏̻̰͘͟ ̶̪̩̦̳a͏̫̲͎͙̮͍͡r̴͎̩̥̀e̢̖̪͇̟̰̹̱

• Options
    By looking at the lemon-sized dog brain, he has shown, for instance, that, based on how the reward center lights up, a dog likes praise as much as it likes hot dogs

You and me too, dog. You and me too.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Date 3-7-08

God damn it, Ohio!

I might work with this dude

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://www.openculture.com/2019/12/radiohead-puts-every-official-album-on-youtube.html
    Radiohead Puts Every Official Album on YouTube, Making Them All Free to Stream

ilu radiohead

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

There seems to be a mismatch here between what the school thinks your virginity is worth and what they are clearly demonstrating it is actually worth.

shryke on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    On a different note I've been eating toast with pepper jelly for breakfast and I was trying to figure out the origins of it snd apparently its texas???

@spool32 is this tru

So far as I'm aware, yep that is a Texas thing that has slowly spread outward.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The first I had pepper jelly was in Fredericksburg, TX. Good stuff.

• Options
    I was coerced into signing an abstinence card in 8th grade by my gym teacher

I went home and burned it

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The trick with that card is you have to actually show it to the Domino's cashier in order to get your free pizza.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Masterful play by dominos.

Lets give a coupon to people to remind them that dominos exists, but make them embarrassed to actually use the coupon when the time comes.

Full price pizza sales ahoy

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    The trick with that card is you have to actually show it to the Domino's cashier in order to get your free pizza.

That’s a lot harder to do at 15 than it is at 30

At 30 I’m like, “cool, yeah, I’m a virgin. I’m also a Jehovah’s Witness if it means I get free cheesy bread.”

• Options
    The ultrasound technician was being really cagey about her findings just now

I hope that’s just her respecting HIPAA instead of not wanting to be the first to tell me I have something wrong

• Options
    I'd not-fuck anyone for a pizza

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

JOKE'S ON YOU, I WASN'T PLANNING ON FUCKING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

*buys two pizzas for the price of one*

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

It doesn't say it has to be the person who signed it that uses the card.

Heck, you don't even need to sign it to use it as a coupon.

• Options
    Japan lied to me. I turned 30 without ever having had sex yet I am not a wizard.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Japan lied to me. I turned 30 without ever having had sex yet I am not a wizard.

wait, what... do i need to sign up for that or...?

• Options

Yeah you need to start the rituals early

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Have you tried channeling your power?

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

Yeah you need to start the rituals early

Ah, I'll look it up.

I mean, it's not as great as being a wizard at 30 but a wizard at 60 is fine too.

• Options

i398m3na5f0k.jpg
    The myth is believed to have began at the now defunct Japanese free enquete/voting generating service known as the Automatic Enquete Generator or 自動アンケート作成. The phrase "30-Year-Old Male Virgin becomes Wizard" became popular among users of the service around as early as the year 2001. After the service shut down on May, 2002, the phrase was picked up by other Japanese online communities such as Futaba Channel.
    Holy shit, that is an old meme.

• Options
    all your virgin are belong to us

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    The route to the wizard induction chamber requires walking through the pandimensional delights lounge and thats usually when they lose it. Quick memory wipe and sent home to bed, no big deal.

This discussion has been closed.