As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret Satans 2019 - Perfect gifting! See you next year!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Okay, I fell asleep way earlier than expected last night so here's the post.
    edit: woops forgot how big these photos can be
    I got home last night to find a MYSTERIOUS PACKAGE from SOMEONE WHOSE USERNAME IS THEIR FIRST NAME (OR MAYBE NOT BUT THEY STILL USED IT ON THE PACKAGE)

edit: argh address

Inside this package were TWO BOOKS, one book I've been interested in reading for a while, and a second that is HOLY SHIT IS THAT JOJO

edit: damn these photos

Also, an EXTREMELY NICE, heavy-bottomed drinking glass. Like this thing has WEIGHT to it. As Rachel mentioned, I immediately poured some scotch into the glass and drank it. It's super awesome!

edit: clearly I should crop these

Finally there was this very nice note. Did you really have JoJo just lying around for years until this point? If that's true, that's an awesome coincidence.

Thank you @Cristoval ! We're already reading the JoJo, and the glass will certainly see a lot of use. And than you for the posters, too!

Moriveth on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Which scotch? I’m fairly new to whisky and looking for others to try. I think it was last year’s thread that inspired me to try Suntory.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    It was an expensive (well, for me, anyway) scotch I bought with my christmas bonus - this one, to be exact!

• Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    @Moriveth you covered the address on the package, but it is clearly readable on the envelope in the background.

• Options
    Hah, shit, thanks. I removed all the photos because they're all viewable in there! I'll edit them and reupload.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Noooo I was just about to find out where I live

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Now people will have no choice but to send me stuff!

Glad ya like it! I was gonna send some whiskey to pair with the glass but I didn't know shipping booze would be such a hassle and/or illegal! The things you learn!

I liked that glass so much I bought one for myself! I lot of "connoisseurs" poo-poo scotch or whisky out of anything but a nosing glass, but no one looks respectful drinking out of those things. You need something with a bit of heft you can really wrap your claw around and swirl, preferably while sitting on a giant leather recliner in front of a raging fire.

• Options
    Yeah, the glass is fucking rad, I’m real happy with it! Looking forward to reading the books too!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    It was an expensive (well, for me, anyway) scotch I bought with my christmas bonus - this one, to be exact!

Oooh, nice! I just got given a bottle of this at Christmas and I am excited to try it out because I've never had Welsh whisky before! The bottle my partner and I got given last year is about half empty and I feel a little guilty about it, but we've been only having a wee dram on special occasions (like birthdays, Easter, and Christmas) so we're extending it's life about as best we can without just leaving it in the bottle where it would be a total waste.

• Options
    Oh wow that is some FANCY scotch you got there! I'd love to try that sometime to see if I can even taste the difference.

I do want to try Suntory sometime, though maybe that's mostly the influence of the Yakuza games.

• Options
    Suntory Hibiki is great! It's like drinking liquid gold. Haha, that was originally on my list to send but Master of Malt weren't up to the task! ALAS.

• Options
    Shit, I just looked it up and ended up on the official (?) Hibiki site. Hello $2000 bottles of whiskey.

• Options
    Do it.

• Options
  • Options
    Specifically, the one I am talking about is the Japanese Harmony version which should go for $60-$70. But hey, when in Rome...

• Options
    Holy shit there's a $45k bottle of whiskey

that is ridiculous

• Options
    A ridiculously good buy! The only stupid expensive bottle of alcohol I regret not buying not affording is a $17,000 bottle of rum that came in a glass bottle with pewter (and I assume silver) barnacles reaching all the way around it. I don't even like rum anymore due to choices made in high school, but got damn that was a beautiful piece.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh wow that is some FANCY scotch you got there! I'd love to try that sometime to see if I can even taste the difference.

I do want to try Suntory sometime, though maybe that's mostly the influence of the Yakuza games.

It's very nice indeed, but to be perfectly honest I actually prefer Auchentoshan Three Wood, which is about 1/6th the price.

that is ridiculous

My good dude: https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/1857/dalmore-50-year-old-sherry-cask-crystal-decanter

• Options

It's very nice indeed, but to be perfectly honest I actually prefer Auchentoshan Three Wood, which is about 1/6th the price.

that is ridiculous

My good dude: https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/1857/dalmore-50-year-old-sherry-cask-crystal-decanter

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I kinda want to punch anyone who buys a 90k bottle of whiskey

• Options
    If I bought a 90k bottle of whiskey I would pay you to punch me

• Options
    I kinda want to punch anyone who buys a 90k bottle of whiskey

Oh yes, absolutely. Right in the fucking throat.

• Options
    It would be a great flex to press it with Coke though.

• Options
    Cristoval wrote: »
    It would be a great flex to press it with Coke though.

"I didn't want the whiskey, so I poured it down the drain, but now I have a cool bottle to put my sand in."

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I went on a tour of the Glenfiddich distillery once

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Suntory Hibiki Harmony is the one my wife got me, because she couldn’t find the one from last year’s thread. Liquid gold is right.

I haven’t had Glenlivet yet, but enjoyed a Glenfiddich 12(?), maybe 15, my grandfather gave me.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I have done the deed. My guilt is abated, for the moment.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    HAIL SATAN.

They have struck again! Apparently for the third time, as a package was scheduled to arrive on Xmas eve, was confirmed as delivered but I never actually got it. No idea what happened to it, hopefully a miscommunication and not an actual gift thief, since I haven't had that problem in almost a year of living here.

ANYHOO. A box!
    kcop4rhkgra0.jpg

Ooooo!
    PRETTY.
    vfaporbrqofx.jpg
    The gifts, they match!
    yk7zrqytzys7.jpg

Okay so the pictures aren't great, but I now have a new gaming mouse and a new keyboard to go with it. THANK YOU SATAN whoever you are! Sorry if I missed the identity reveal in the first gift notes. . .

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    HAHA @Tonkka

It was I who am your satan!

gotta have a good KBAM!

also, amazon says if you find the other keyboard you can have it lol

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I have been KBAM-ED! Thanks again! Sorry about the mystery of the missing keyboard.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Tonkka wrote: »
    I have been KBAM-ED! Thanks again! Sorry about the mystery of the missing keyboard.

no worries!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Hey, so a bit before christmas I received this cookbook in the mail:

7pZo4NM.jpg?1

I've had a bit of time to look through it and it looks really really interesting. There's a bunch of really beautiful photos and some really good looking recipies. It's gonna take me some time to source some ingredients, but i'm really excited to try it.

sorry it's taken me so long to actually post and confirm that it arrived.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah Sean Brock rules.

His Waffle House trip with Tony Bourdain is legendary
    https://youtu.be/cX_kbIVxl_o

• Options
    I hope those aren't ramps on the cover because that's not how to harvest them

gotta cut them above the bulb or they'll never grow back

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    What if he just HATES RAMPS

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    then he's bonkers!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    he repositioning them

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    So I suck at Satans this year.

Spoiler for family troubles
    My grandma had some health problems. At the age of 87 there are no non-trivial medical events, but this shit would have been scary even if she were 50 years younger. She's stable and recovering now, but she lives with my uncle and aunt... and I don't want to get into all the family drama, but nobody trusts this particular aunt and uncle to take good care of her. So I've been back and forth several times over the last two weeks, and instead of coming all the way back home, on the days I had to make an appearance at work I've been staying with a friend who lives closer to the Utah/Idaho border, and then making my commute to the office from the north rather than from the south.

Anyway, one of my cousins who lives close to grandma and normally helps her out was out of town for the holidays, but she got back last night. So today I helped finish building some accessibility enhancements to the old farmhouse, and then I'm finally on the way home tomorrow morning.

So, I just got my outbound Satans order taken care of, which sucks, because Christmas was last week. And also just got my outbound Saints order done, which sucks even more. None of it's projected to arrive until January 3rd at the earliest. And haven't been home to see what my own Satan sent to me in two weeks.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Extremely understandable, I doubt even the devil would hold a grudge on such matters. I hope everything works out for your grandmother.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I bet the devil's grandma is a nice lady

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn