As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Stay Alert Home Alert Stay Household

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Sort of tangential, but I’m starting a new job in Toronto next week, hopefully for the lifespan of this government and related economic madness. Finishing packing the suitcase tomorrow. Brexit was absolutely the central factor.

If anyone ever needs a hand navigating the Canadian immigration system, ping me.

Also: In absolute bits. Deeply resent that this is where we are.

Can you hook me up with a Canadian passport?

I can not, got a three year wait for mine.
    But the permanent residence paperwork was (relatively) straightforward and (relatively) cheap.

I will neither forget or forgive everyone who made hitting the eject button for (at least!) the next half decade the best remaining option.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Sort of tangential, but I’m starting a new job in Toronto next week, hopefully for the lifespan of this government and related economic madness. Finishing packing the suitcase tomorrow. Brexit was absolutely the central factor.

If anyone ever needs a hand navigating the Canadian immigration system, ping me.

But the permanent residence paperwork was (relatively) straightforward and (relatively) cheap.

I will neither forget or forgive everyone who made hitting the eject button for (at least!) the next half decade the best remaining option.

Sort of tangential, but I’m Canadian, and I’m looking forward to vacationing in Manchester and London in April. They’ll be much warmer and drier and sunnier than where I live.

But seriously, welcome to Canada eh!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Sort of tangential, but I’m Canadian, and I’m looking forward to vacationing in Manchester and London in April. They’ll be much warmer and drier and sunnier than where I live.

I can only imagine Manchester and London being warmer, drier and sunnier than where you live if your house is literally in a swamp

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

I can only imagine Manchester and London being warmer, drier and sunnier than where you live if your house is literally in a swamp

A *very cold* swamp, at that.

To be fair, the job may go terribly, or Brexit may be the unicorn we now all have to hope for, then we’ll be right back.

But yeah, if you’re looking for an example of a couple of skilled workers being affected by the politics, here we are. In 2015 we were happy tax payers, holidaying in the EU and overpaying the mortgage, getting back on track after the recession in ‘09.

Four years later we’re leaving the country rather than look down the barrel of another recession. It’s ridiculous how quickly and how far the country has pivoted. Don’t let people tell you that doesn’t matter. Without all this, I wouldn’t be spending a sleepless night surrounded by suitcases. It’s obscene.

@Shadowhope drop me a PM if you’re ever in Toronto, I’ll stand you a pint.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Halifax, Nova Scotia. We get the cold that blows in from the north and west (i.e. Toronto and the rest of central Canada), and the wet that blows in from the south and east. It's lovely if you like cold and wet weather for nine months of the year.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Please to be getting me a new job in Toronto too. You are in Canada now so you have to be polite. :P

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Yo dogs, if Ian Lavery thinks he can run and win the Labour leadership then Labour is totally fucked regardless of whether he actually wins or not.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

Halifax, Nova Scotia. We get the cold that blows in from the north and west (i.e. Toronto and the rest of central Canada), and the wet that blows in from the south and east. It's lovely if you like cold and wet weather for nine months of the year.

I live in Manchester. We generally get the rain from the north, rain from the east and rain from the west. We just get fucked by the south.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Dear momentum/Corbyn fans. Here's what happens if you actually win an election. You get to do things like this

National living wage to rise by 6.2% in April

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50947097

Karl on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

A *very cold* swamp, at that.

To be fair, the job may go terribly, or Brexit may be the unicorn we now all have to hope for, then we’ll be right back.

But yeah, if you’re looking for an example of a couple of skilled workers being affected by the politics, here we are. In 2015 we were happy tax payers, holidaying in the EU and overpaying the mortgage, getting back on track after the recession in ‘09.

Four years later we’re leaving the country rather than look down the barrel of another recession. It’s ridiculous how quickly and how far the country has pivoted. Don’t let people tell you that doesn’t matter. Without all this, I wouldn’t be spending a sleepless night surrounded by suitcases. It’s obscene.

Shadowhope drop me a PM if you’re ever in Toronto, I’ll stand you a pint.

A pre-emptive welcome to the area! Enjoy your stay, watch out for the beavers and the mounted police horse poop.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Corbyn’s new year message is essentially: it’s been a funny old year, and the real fight starts now. Just fucking go.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Corbyn’s new year message is essentially: it’s been a funny old year, and the real fight starts now. Just fucking go.

Doesn't someone have to be in charge until a new leader is elected?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Karl wrote: »

Every leader in my lifetime who has lost an election has resigned immediately

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Every leader in my lifetime who has lost an election has resigned immediately

Since, having lost, they don't have to form a government there's no need for someone to be in 'charge'. The deputy leader and front benchers can handle questions in the commons (the new government will be in their honeymoon period anyway), the shadow cabinet can do the needed government stuff and the party committee should run party matters. The leader's team need to stay on to some extent but they themselves don't.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    He didn’t quit last time he lost either.

When they finally manage to drag him out he’ll leave claw marks on the doorways.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Labour didn't appoint a new deputy leader after Tom Watson quit

There should at least be some sort of timetable

Platy on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    He didn’t quit last time he lost either.

When they finally manage to drag him out he’ll leave claw marks on the doorways.

Assuming they manage to drag him out. He says he won't lead Labour into the next election, but that's five years out assuming Boris doesn't kill the FTPA and this period of 'reflection' seems rather open ended to the point where the next election could roll around and Corbyn might just decide to stay on anyway.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    This is the Tom Watson story, by the way

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/27/tom-watson-i-quit-because-of-labour-brutality
    Watson said he left in part because of the aggression he had faced within Labour. He said at one point police told him that a Labour supporter had been arrested for making a death threat via the party that Labour officials did not inform him about.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Corbyn appears to be doubling down :/
    going to need someone to form a new party, labour's done.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    or just wait for the leadership elections to finish before taking a third crack at forming a doomed centre left party

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/27/tom-watson-i-quit-because-of-labour-brutality
    Watson said he left in part because of the aggression he had faced within Labour. He said at one point police told him that a Labour supporter had been arrested for making a death threat via the party that Labour officials did not inform him about.

Another choice quote:
    Corbyn’s critics have identified his unpopularity as a key factor in the election result, but figures on the left of the party say the defeat was primarily because of the difficulties over Labour’s Brexit position and not strategic errors or the leader.
    Labour's Brexit position wasn't a strategic error and had nothing to do with it's leader. Got it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    eEK! wrote: »
    or just wait for the leadership elections to finish before taking a third crack at forming a doomed centre left party

There’s a leadership election?

I thought the entire problem is there isn’t one scheduled because Corbyn isn’t resigning and nobody is calling one

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Platy wrote: »

Another choice quote:
    Corbyn’s critics have identified his unpopularity as a key factor in the election result, but figures on the left of the party say the defeat was primarily because of the difficulties over Labour’s Brexit position and not strategic errors or the leader.
    Labour's Brexit position wasn't a strategic error and had nothing to do with it's leader. Got it.

I mean fucking come on. Do they not hear themselves when they say this shit? What a great start to the new year, I’m sure Corbyn will stay just long enough to sabotage the chances of building a coherent and workable party going into any future election. He’ll stay just until he and his supporters have done the most damage possible and leave not a minute sooner.

It was the difficulties with the Brexit position of course! I have complete faith in these guys to make entirely sure they continue having those difficulties for as long as it takes until the public comes to their senses and votes corbyn in already, I mean the guy deserves it, it’s not his fault that there was difficulties with their Brexit position after all

Prohass on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    "the difficulties over Labour’s Brexit position" is a far more diplomatic statement than the ones that came earlier, that are several degrees of "The Remoaners should have just accepted The Will Of The People instead of threatening to split Labour if Saint Corbyn didn't do what they wanted". Like, the Corbyn side of the party 100% blames the Remain side for the loss and thinks that if Corbyn was allowed to sell his flavor of Brexit Unicorn in peace, they wouldn't have lost all those places that voted Leave.

• Options
    Also, I don't see how the hell both sides are supposed to reconcile if they live on different realities.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

For a little levity, a counterpoint (heh):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_G-FBSf1UI

I don't know how anybody takes him seriously when he talks about the country like it's a rogue that just finished a sidequest

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    We're going to level up our country by taking the obvious noob trap feat, and then discovering respec potions don't come cheaply.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    We're going to level up our country by taking the obvious noob trap feat, and then discovering respec potions don't come cheaply.

"Intelligence is a dump stat!"

Narrator: (intelligence was not a dump stat)

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    The more I read about the delusional state of labour the more disenchanted I get with them. I mean we already long since passed the point where they lost me as a voter (and I live in one of their swing constituencies so that actually makes a difference) but a mark of where I'm currently at with them is for the first time I caught myself thinking "maybe it's for the best the Tories won".

I want to scrub my thoughts out with bleach...

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I wonder if Brexit can actually cause national unity. I get the feelin that a lot of remainers are tired, especially with the lack of an opposition party.

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    eEK! wrote: »

There’s a leadership election?

I thought the entire problem is there isn’t one scheduled because Corbyn isn’t resigning and nobody is calling one

Yes he's definitely going, he's sticking around until the new leader is selected, as they can't not have a leader or deputy leader (i.e. Tom Watson turned out to be a shit politician).

The prospective candidates are currently making their public pitches ahead of PLP nominations and the actual election will be a few months away, but the informal process has started.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I expect that no candidate will be judged fully suitable, and so Corbyn will have to stay on, "for the duration of the present emergency".

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Dear momentum/Corbyn fans. Here's what happens if you actually win an election. You get to do things like this

Still falls well short of George Osborne's promise from back in 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/dec/31/government-misses-minimum-wage-target-set-by-tories-in-2015

Can't think why.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Scenario; Corbyn picks his hand-appointed chosen successor, but they lose the leadership contest. What can Corbyn do at this point?
    (I know this won't happen, his Anointed One will be handed the job with a bow tied around it. I'm just wondering what the processes are)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/dec/31/government-misses-minimum-wage-target-set-by-tories-in-2015

Can't think why.

Still more than what Corbyn has achieved. If the Tories keep sprinkling a bunch of centrist policies in they're going to capture all the swing voters and labour are fucked

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Can't think why.

It's still not the living wage. And trust me, the living wage is fucking worthless.

I laugh when the business people poke their heads out to say "but it's unaffordable". I have two managers in my single branch who do fuck all for 70K between them. Start trimming some of that fat at the top, liek your multimillion paid CEO, and you'll find the money so your fucking staff can afford both food and heat, while the CEO will sacrifice by living in only semi-luxury.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Kevin is an editor of policticshome.com and previous political editor at various papers.

Glad to see Labour have their priorities in order and will definitely learn the right lessons.

I love how point e is contradicted by point d

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Jesus. They are completely delusional.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Looks like the Labour party is dead as hell, from over here. I hope you folks have some success building a new party.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Fucking hell, Labour. That is pretty close to the worst possible response to a resounding election defeat.

Just... Fucking hell. Labour deserve to be nothing more than a fringe think-tank rather than a major political party if this is how they're going to behave.

This discussion has been closed.