As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Everything can have children with humans. Zabraks, elves, orcs, fish, horses, mushrooms. We're like some kind of boning nexus where everything wants to do us and we want to do everything.

It's almost like creators are almost universally horny for their creations.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Everything can have children with humans. Zabraks, elves, orcs, fish, horses, mushrooms. We're like some kind of boning nexus where everything wants to do us and we want to do everything.

It's almost like creators are almost universally horny for their creations.

They are in Star Trek.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I am.

MmmmMmmmm. Togruta....

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Thought I stumbled into the Mass Effect thread for a second here

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Humans are the ditto of the scifi/fantasy world.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    From the perspective of a lifelong Star Wars fan who has gone pretty deep into various EU stuff (ran a couple WEG tabletop campaigns back when RPGs were called “pen and paper” to distinguish from computer RPGs, because tabletop games that weren’t made by Milton Bradley did not yet exist, for example) but who has watched two whole episodes of Rebels and four whole episodes of TCW:
    The covert and their Forge Keeper are super badass awesome. The Mandalorians who rescued Din as a child were also super badass awesome, clearly fighting the Separatist droids because the droids were trying to exterminate civilians, or I guess because they like scrapping droids? Either way. The Empire are all clearly evil jerks, and whether you consider Din and any surviving Mandalorians to be “good” in the way, say, Yoda the Elder is “good” is sort of irrelevant to the Din-versus-Darth Fring dynamic established by season 1.
    Favreau and Filoni could leave the deeper history of the covert, the story behind the Forge Keeper’s horns, the true nature of the Way and its adherents entirely unexplained and I, for one, would be completely satisfied to watch more of this show. I understand that it’s really satisfying to see this corner of the GFFA live and breathe without unforced errors and with attention to detail. As someone who loves the setting and doesn’t know the backstory though, the level of explanation provided so far is chef’s kiss.
    I have spoken (rest in power Kuill, you magnificent and very-expensive-actor-driven bastard).

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Oh, they could totally never get into the background, and it'd be a great story. I'm just excited at the possibilities that are there if they choose to pursue it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    From the perspective of a lifelong Star Wars fan who has gone pretty deep into various EU stuff (ran a couple WEG tabletop campaigns back when RPGs were called “pen and paper” to distinguish from computer RPGs, because tabletop games that weren’t made by Milton Bradley did not yet exist, for example) but who has watched two whole episodes of Rebels and four whole episodes of TCW:
    The covert and their Forge Keeper are super badass awesome. The Mandalorians who rescued Din as a child were also super badass awesome, clearly fighting the Separatist droids because the droids were trying to exterminate civilians, or I guess because they like scrapping droids? Either way. The Empire are all clearly evil jerks, and whether you consider Din and any surviving Mandalorians to be “good” in the way, say, Yoda the Elder is “good” is sort of irrelevant to the Din-versus-Darth Fring dynamic established by season 1.
    Favreau and Filoni could leave the deeper history of the covert, the story behind the Forge Keeper’s horns, the true nature of the Way and its adherents entirely unexplained and I, for one, would be completely satisfied to watch more of this show. I understand that it’s really satisfying to see this corner of the GFFA live and breathe without unforced errors and with attention to detail. As someone who loves the setting and doesn’t know the backstory though, the level of explanation provided so far is chef’s kiss.
    I have spoken (rest in power Kuill, you magnificent and very-expensive-actor-driven bastard).

You should really fix this. They both become quite excellent as they progress.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The Mandalorian feels surprisingly similar to the way the animated series feel once each gets past its respective growing pains.

Kamar on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

More like the diddle

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

More like the diddle

Verb form, noun form. We’re figuring ourselves out.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The Forge Master having Darth Maul horns doesn't necessarily mean she's evil or that this Mandalorian faction is evil. Darth Maul rose to power back when Mandalore was still a populated world, and he was opposed by many because he was an outsider. The horns could be a symbol of the "no, anyone can be a Mandalorian, fuck you" attitude this group very clearly has, not a sign of evil.

reVerse on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I prefer to think that the Forge Master just thought it was far enough away from Maul's horns that it wouldn't be a thing but it's totally a thing and all the other mandos give each other incredibly awkward sidelong glances

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    It is canon that humans and zabrak can have children together so yes I am assuming there is some system compatibility.
    Yeah but you don't know where the zabrak dick is. Or dicks are. Maybe they got hella dicks. Maybe all zabrak fingers are dicks.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It'd be pretty funny if death watch reversed the usual process and start out as terrorists, only to become freedom fighters.

A couple of death watch guards standing around, "wait... we constantly fight the empire and warlords... are we the good guys???"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I have a theory that possibly the more blood thirsty, overtly ‘Bad Mandalorians’ were via ‘natural selection’ weeded out during the Purge, while the more cautious ones survived, influencing this sect’s culture. It might rankle them that they have to stay in the shadows, but their survival is paramount.

I also find it hilarious that the almost crackpot theory of maul surviving being bisected has been made actual canon.

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    In much of scifi, space, how it works, the distances involved, all that is a part of the stories, almost like a background character.

And JJ just doesn't give a fuck about how space works. It was like that when he did star trek, too. Explosions light years away instantly visible, travel times of seconds..

You mean like how the Falcon made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs? Like that?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    That's not the same thing... In one case you have someone using a word "incorrectly" but: (a) most people don't know what a parsec is and, (b) it could be inferred from the context that a parsec is an in-universe unit of time or travel. Also, it's dialogue.

As opposed to literally showing things on screen doing things they shouldn't. Over and over again in rapid cuts.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    In much of scifi, space, how it works, the distances involved, all that is a part of the stories, almost like a background character.

And JJ just doesn't give a fuck about how space works. It was like that when he did star trek, too. Explosions light years away instantly visible, travel times of seconds..

You mean like how the Falcon made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs? Like that?

While, yes, George Lucas definitely made a mistake in his terminology, this isn't even a mistake as a sentence.

Taken in isolation, if Han Solo had said he made the Kessel Run in less than 12 miles you wouldn't blink, you'd assume it's some navigational challenge, or more likely, based on this character, somehow very risky to cut corners on the route of whatever this Kessel Run is and the line of dialogue is perfectly fine.

We only know George Lucas fucked up because they were just talking about how fast the ship is so the line makes most sense if the writer thinks a parsec is a unit of time. The EU authors jumped at the chance to turn the Kessel Run into a navigational challenge to cover for Lucas and we got that silly scene in Solo cementing it and this isn't even in the same league as J.J. Abrams.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Maybe she is Maul's daughter.

She would have to be from before the Battle of Naboo given that Maul left behind some essential equipment for that theory to work.

Fine, how about Maul's granddaughter? Better?
    Thats right, I went there.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Honestly I kind of doubt that any characters from the cartoons or EU will be making an appearance on this show. They seem to be very much trying to do their own thing and tell a new story.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Honestly I kind of doubt that any characters from the cartoons or EU will be making an appearance on this show. They seem to be very much trying to do their own thing and tell a new story.

The Darksaber is our symbol of hope.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    I can very much see an Ahsoka/Sabine cameo if not an entire episode/arc. I doubt they'd join the main cast though.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Introducing a character who would likely immediately say, "He looks like Master Yoda!" seems unlikely.

It's quite possible the Imps already know this, and they have no reason to share that information.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Introducing a character who would likely immediately say, "He looks like Master Yoda!" seems unlikely.

It's quite possible the Imps already know this, and they have no reason to share that information.
    Did Sabine ever meet Yoda?

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

No, he would have been in hiding by then. I think a Sabine cameo is extremely possible, but Ahsoka not as much because of the Yoda recognition as well as because (Big Rebels Spoiler)
    she may or may not be dead. Rebels was really unclear on it though.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

No, he would have been in hiding by then. I think a Sabine cameo is extremely possible, but Ahsoka not as much because of the Yoda recognition as well as because (Big Rebels Spoiler)

you may want to watch the rest of Rebels.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Rebels series finale and LOTR spoilers:
    Maybe Ahsoka the White and Sabine sailed off Into the West t find Ezra and Thrawn, that would make them all metaphorically dead.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »

you may want to watch the rest of Rebels.

Oops, guess I should rewatch it. Currently rewatching TCW and it’s next.

• Options
    Is Nick Nolte really that expensive? I didn't even know he was relevant anymore. Or even alive.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is Nick Nolte really that expensive? I didn't even know he was relevant anymore. Or even alive.

Eh. Nolte's personal life aside, he gave appropriate gravitas to the role, and Kwiil's fate gave the narrative a good heft and raised the stakes. Kwiil was great and I'll miss him, but I feel his fate served the narrative well. I don't feel this was a case of "they had to off him because we couldn't afford the actor". I mean heck, you could make the same argument about Ming Na or any other of the guest stars who only appeared for 1 or 2 episodes.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I gotta imagine Carl Weathers isn't cheap.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    I mean, I never even considered money to be an issue.

They're working with a Disney budget.

• Options

You can really feel where the money went in this show.

in order:

Special Effects Budget
    Choreography
    Story
    actors
    dialogue

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I feel Genndy Tartakovsky has demonstrated how effective storytelling can be without that last item.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Well, and I think The Mandalorian has demonstrated how effective storytelling is despite horrible dialogue.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugnaught is so good I wish I’d thought of it myself.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

You can really feel where the money went in this show.

in order:

Special Effects Budget
    Choreography
    Story
    actors
    dialogue

I’d say the casting was pretty spot on, so I wouldn’t place it so low. Seems they wanted to get it right since they got the MCUs casting director, and it shows.

This discussion has been closed.