As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The first schools in England were church schools and not everyone could go. Public schools were schools everyone could go to, provided they could pay. So nowadays free schools are called state schools and paid schools are called public schools.

Edit: schools is a weird word to read multiple times in quick succession

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    oh my god shut up about nut shot science already you nerds

tell me about some floridian that ate a baby for cri-yi

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Honestly? 'lol Florida' has been kind of overplayed, and it's usually just Bad News Gone Bad, Also Probably Then Gone Worse.

Nut shot science is something different for a change, at least?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I'll do you one better - arsonist Nazi meets karma, karma wins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS016azj5uo

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Can't find one that ate a baby, but you might have heard of the one who threatened the President. The national news makes him sound very terroristy, but the farther back you trace the references, the more wacky details materialize that were dropped from higher tier articles. By the time you get back to the original report:

https://cbs12.com/news/local/florida-man-threatens-to-kill-president-trump
    WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (WPEC) -- A man with cream on his face, a towel over his head, and body covered with a shower curtain went on Facebook live where federal authorities say he threatened to kill President Donald Trump.

Federal investigators say Lump used the name of "BlackMan vs America" in the live video post, which had Middle Eastern type music playing in the background. They say he also laughed during some of the threats.
    According to authorities, threatening statements made by Lump include:

"He killed my leader, please tell me where is Donald Trump?"
    "I need to find the Donald because if I don't find him I am going to have to blow up Broward County."
    "Do not play with me, I have AK-47."
    "He killed my leader and I have to kill him."
    Lump told investigators he produced the video as a joke in response to the killing of Iranian general Qasem Soleimani. He claimed he had a bachelor's degree in Homeland Security from Bethune-Cookman University, but federal agents could only confirm he attended a semester.

Lump works as a security guard. Investigators said he had a Glock 9 mm semi-automatic pistol in his possession, which he's licensed to carry. According to the affidavit, Lump said, "I shouldn't have did it in the first place."

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I guess Lump really did linger last in line for brains

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    And the ones he got were kind of rotten and insane.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    The first schools in England were church schools and not everyone could go. Public schools were schools everyone could go to, provided they could pay. So nowadays free schools are called state schools and paid schools are called public schools.

Edit: schools is a weird word to read multiple times in quick succession

Free Schools however are not the state-run comprehensive schools, but schools run by other groups (corporations, parent groups, charities) that have some leeway in what and how they teach rather than following the national curriculum.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Last time I lived in the US, we had a cat (because we also had mice).

Protecting your shins but not your groin seems a bit shortsighted, I think.

You do wear cups, but from what I recall from Primacy school, getting hit in the cup from a ball thrown by kids still hurts. Can't imagine what it must be like with a ball thrown by a professional.

You wear a cup in hockey too. It still hurts like fucking hell.

You wear one anyway because it's not as bad as it could be. I played for a few years with a guy who didn't wear a cup a few times because he'd forgotten it at home and, well, let's just say his team was down a man.

Yep! You don't wear them to prevent pain, you wear them to prevent catastrophic damage.

Is it that it is not possible or that it would be impractical to wear something more robust?

New variations on the concept still come out from time to time. MMA's popularity highlighted a need for something that didn't restrict flexibility but wouldn't slip during a very wide variety of movements and a popular design added softer material on the edges to cushion the blow before dispersing it but it's still not entirely pain free: https://youtu.be/_OUaQIb9WaM

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Terry Cavanaugh released the source code for VVVVVV, and apparently there's eldrich horrors in it:

• Options
    Im going to pretend "4099 case" is just a special kind of switch statement unique to the compiler he used and live a happier life for it.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yes.

I too totally know what that means...

>.>

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    When thing is:
    - equal to 1: Do something
    - equal to 2: Do something else
    - equal to 4099: Do the 4099th action

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    When thing is:
    - equal to 1: Do something
    - equal to 2: Do something else
    - equal to 4099: Do the 4099th action

It is.... not normal to enumerate 4099 distinct possibilities in a single piece of code like that.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Clearly the better way to go is to manually enter 4099 function references into a hashed dictionary.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Forar wrote: »
    Yes.

I too totally know what that means...

>.>

Great, so we're on the same page! Likely many other forumers aren't, so a brief explanation:

See, a switch statement is basically like if/then/else, but with an arbitrary number of branches called cases, if/else only offers two. So, you'd switch on a variable, and then each case is a condition from that value. So, for example, if X can be 1, 2, or 3 depending on incoming conditions, you could do this (gross simplification):

switch(x){
    case(1) do stuff;
    case(2) do other stuff;
    case(3) do more stuff;
    }

He apparently had that up to case 4,099. Which is just mind boggling and makes me immediately think the code has so much spaghetti you need a fork to edit it, like it could have been handled a much better way if everything were planned first. Likely it started much more manageable and exploded on iteration until it reached the point where you just go with it forever because it's become so convoluted that even the coder can't sort it out anymore.

Hence why I'm just going to pretend none of that's the case and a 4099 case is just some special type of switch statement I don't know about.

Hevach on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Note that there aren't 4099 distinct cases in the switch; it skips over a lot of numbers. This is also the thing that handles all the cutscenes and such, which is why it's so big. If you add a terminal that displays a line of text, it does so by switching the state to 1234 or whatever, then case 1234 will activate, print out the line of text, and return to state 0. The game, therefore, needs a new case whenever something like that is added.

Still the wrong way to do that, of course. Many of these cases aren't documented, so there's no good way to know what each case maps to, not to mention the difficulty of debugging code that's only used in one section of the game. It would be better to (e.g.) have a generic "Display text" case and feed it the text in question. (Ideally from an external file to make translations easier. That's the other problem.)

• Options
    Note that there aren't 4099 distinct cases in the switch; it skips over a lot of numbers. This is also the thing that handles all the cutscenes and such, which is why it's so big. If you add a terminal that displays a line of text, it does so by switching the state to 1234 or whatever, then case 1234 will activate, print out the line of text, and return to state 0. The game, therefore, needs a new case whenever something like that is added.

Still the wrong way to do that, of course. Many of these cases aren't documented, so there's no good way to know what each case maps to, not to mention the difficulty of debugging code that's only used in one section of the game. It would be better to (e.g.) have a generic "Display text" case and feed it the text in question. (Ideally from an external file to make translations easier. That's the other problem.)

It's basically How Not To Implement A State Machine, which is why we get someone thanking Cavanaugh for curing their imposter syndrome.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

I'd imagine the fact that it immediately destroys the state rather than logging it led to many of the debugging issues.

edit: Since what I had said had been said by someone else.

jothki on
  • Options
    ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    I've seen plenty of code that looks like that in big games by Real Teams, etc. None to quite that degree... but I want to say at least in the 1500ish ballpark.

The main difference between that and 8 bit games I've taken apart is that they nested the switches.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Bad News: Galapogos tortoise populations dropped to unsustainable levels.

Good News: Diego the tortoise showed up to fuck his way out of that problem
    A womanizing tortoise whose rampant sex life may have single-handedly saved his entire species from extinction has retired from his playboy lifestyle, returning to the wild with his mission accomplished.

Diego's unstoppable libido was credited as a major reason for the survival of his fellow giant tortoises on Espanola, part of the Galapagos Islands, after being shipped over from the San Diego Zoo as part of a breeding program.
    When he started his campaign of promiscuity, there were just two males and 12 females of his species alive on the island.
    But the desirable shell-dweller had so much sex he helped boost the population to over 2,000. The Galapagos National Parks service believe the 100-year-old tortoise is the patriarch of around 40% of that population.
    "He's contributed a large percentage to the lineage that we are returning to Espanola," Jorge Carrion, the park's director, told AFP. "There's a feeling of happiness to have the possibility of returning that tortoise to his natural state."

200111155929-diego-tortoise-2-exlarge-169.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Sure when a guy tortoise does it he's "saviour of his species", but when I do it I'm "asked to leave the reptile house"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Sure when a guy tortoise does it he's "saviour of his species", but when I do it I'm "asked to leave the reptile house"

You probably shouldn't have assumed that a tortoise shell is equivalent to "wearing protection".

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    You're not tortoisey enough for the tortoise club.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Masterofdisguiseturtle.gif

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Bad news: Jake set his butthole on fire again.

Gone right: He is better now.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It's the "again" that really makes it special

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    That reminds me of when I got someone's "How could you do this to me?" breakup texts.

Followed about a month later with "I'm happy now with someone else and FUCK YOU!" texts.

I don't remember the exact words of the second one (decade ago with an old phone), but I do remember that the general gist of them, as well as the late hours they came up on my phone lead to the impression that they were sent after having some excellent sex with their new partner.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Totp gone right

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I once got a bunch of texts from someone absolutely convinced I was her cheating partner. I wound up calling her just to clear that up. (She answered with, "You gonna lie again?") She was deeply apologetic; I was mostly bemused.

I'm sure "Nick" is a piece of work, but I'd hate for him to get in trouble for something he didn't do :razz:

• Options
    Bad News: Bushfires devastating Australia.
    Good News: People are coming up with creative ways to raise money for recovery.
    Bad News: Uhhhhhhhhh (NSFW)
    Why did they have to put the Koala on it?

• Options
    Vultures do as vultures do, disrupting Border Patrol operations:
    A US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) radio tower near the Texas-Mexico border has become home to some 300 vultures, which have coated the structure’s entire surface, both inside and out, as well as the ground below, in “droppings mixed with urine,” according to a request for information the agency issued to vendors this week.

A smoothly-functioning communications network is essential for CBP officers to do their jobs. The agencies under the aegis of the Department of Homeland Security, of which CBP is one, have suffered from radio problems in the past.

That is a rather...hard-core way to take NWA to heart.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I feel like a kangaroo might already be the logo for a sex toy, and a platypus might just be too confusing.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Missed the best part. It costs 69$

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Missed the best part. It costs 69$

Nice

• Options
    A US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) radio tower near the Texas-Mexico border has become home to some 300 vultures, which have coated the structure’s entire surface, both inside and out, as well as the ground below, in “droppings mixed with urine,” according to a request for information the agency issued to vendors this week.

A smoothly-functioning communications network is essential for CBP officers to do their jobs. The agencies under the aegis of the Department of Homeland Security, of which CBP is one, have suffered from radio problems in the past.

This is praxis.
    see317 wrote: »
    I feel like a kangaroo might already be the logo for a sex toy, and a platypus might just be too confusing.
    I mean, you always have the option to not emboss an animal on your dildo, right?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

This is praxis.
    see317 wrote: »
    I mean, you always have the option to not emboss an animal on your dildo, right?

You know, I'm sure you could go that route, but the question is "why would you want to?".

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Use with caution to avoid starting another bush fire.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Use with caution to avoid starting another bush fire.

That's what lube is for.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    sixty nine dollariedoos!?

This discussion has been closed.