As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Increasingly Wearily-Moderated [Primaries] Thread

1272829303133»

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Warren is still my #1 but Bernie has the ball rolling hard enough that at this point hes my very close #2.

I guess....Yang? Is third?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The notion of trying to suss out a third choice is too bleak to contemplate

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Come on just say it’s Pete man

Just fucking drink it in

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Beto, Booker, Castro, or Inslee all would've been fine #3's. Of those remaining, I don't think I have a #3, just people I'll begrudgingly vote for in the general if it comes down to that.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Just fucking drink it in

I'd rather Delaney than Pete.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Just fucking drink it in

Oh I'll be drinking something in alright

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ahh, okay, so that's what Jacobin is.

Every time I see it mentioned, I think to Revolutionary France, Robespierre, and the Great Terror of cutting off everyone's heads after getting rid of all the moderates.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Every time I see it mentioned, I think to Revolutionary France, Robespierre, and the Great Terror of cutting off everyone's heads after getting rid of all the moderates.

In particular, they would like to cut off the moderates' heads.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    of those left, I'd probably put Klobuchar as my #3.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    My biggest complaint with Sanders is that he's got a demonstrated record of being terrible at governance. He is an ineffectual leader with years of just old man yelling at cloud.

I see Sanders as too much like Trump in some ways, or perhaps more politely Like De Blasio. He loves the crowds and stumping, but he's got little interest in the actual work of building and governance. He'd prefer to just be a strongman.

It's also why it drives me insane that Warren is so widely rejected, as she's actually a policy wonk who understands governance and has interest in how a democracy actually works.

What do you think of his record and history getting amendments into legislation?

It exists but is marginally impactful for the number of years in office.

And Sanders/Trump/De Blasio is only a comment on being great at rallying people but ineffectual/disinterested in actual governance with a bint toward wanting to mandate rather than legislate, not an actual comment on policy.

He was well known on both sides of the isle for the number of amendments he got into law, which seems to me to be actual governance.

The claim is the most narrow way of defining legislation to try to give him a lead position in something. He's widely regarded as ineffectual with one of the lowest ratios of bills introduced to passed, and his amendments were mostly rollcall, i.e. things already broadly supported which didn't require much politicking to accomplish.

I'll vote for him if he gets the nom, don't get be wrong. But I think he'll be a largely ineffectual president as well because he simply lacks the interest and skill in getting things done.

He's actually exceeded the average for enacted legislation for someone not part of the majority party since 96. Before that he met the average.

This is actually a really bad metric. Want to know why?

Klobuchar has enacted 33 bills. Gilibrand 23. Warren only 7. So by your own metric Klobuchar is roughly 4x as good at being a politician as Warren.

Imagine a world where that statement holds water. That's a pretty bad world.

People hand wave Sanders accomplishments, yet it's pretty easy to find a lot of support for the work he did. He simply didn't push to have his name stamped on everything he touched.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/profiles-in-negotiation-the-veterans-deal-of-2014/

If he was really as bad at politics as the current media would have you believe, they wouldn't have sent him as the person to work on something like this. Which was a huge thing at the time.

Hell you can look at something as recent as the war powers resolution from early 2019 to see how well the Senator runs. It passed the Senate before getting veto'd. Any other current presidential hopefuls gotten anything on the president's desk lately?

Edit: hell have a nice list with direct links to the .gov site with details

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/2/12/1483928/-What-has-Bernie-ever-accomplished

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I don't really like her. The stuff about her being shitty to her staff is especially not good and I find the whole midwestern superiority complex schtick to be obnoxious.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

Hurley is a freelance reporter and author

Yang is a man running for president and what in the goddamn hell a destruction legion what

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    My biggest complaint with Sanders is that he's got a demonstrated record of being terrible at governance. He is an ineffectual leader with years of just old man yelling at cloud.

I see Sanders as too much like Trump in some ways, or perhaps more politely Like De Blasio. He loves the crowds and stumping, but he's got little interest in the actual work of building and governance. He'd prefer to just be a strongman.

It's also why it drives me insane that Warren is so widely rejected, as she's actually a policy wonk who understands governance and has interest in how a democracy actually works.

What do you think of his record and history getting amendments into legislation?

As someone who doesn't live in Vermont I am deeply disinterested in how many VT state roads he got the fed to pay for.

He's gotten nothing substantive done.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Monwyn wrote: »

As someone who doesn't live in Vermont I am deeply disinterested in how many VT state roads he got the fed to pay for.

Why do you assume his amendments are all just pork for back home?

Was the veterans bill linked above nothing substantive?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Yes. Now imagine the kind of people comfortable claiming that name for their political interest magazine.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I don't really like her. The stuff about her being shitty to her staff is especially not good and I find the whole midwestern superiority complex schtick to be obnoxious.

oh totally agree with all of that.

But

between a younger Klobuchar and an older Biden... I erred on the side of younger.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    When I was at work I saw a Twitter thread about Yougov polling that had 2000 people rank every candidate in preference order (you could also just stop listing people whenever you wanted) and then they ran what was basically an IRV style system on the results.

Top three ended up being Biden, Warren, and Sanders, in that order. At step three, 58% of those polled wanted either Warren or Sanders. As you might guess, not many Sanders voters preferred Biden to Warren. But so many Sanders voters were like "BERNIE OR NOBODY" that when they eliminated Sanders Biden won the head to head against Warren.

Progressives: never getting out of our own way.

(Now in the real world where Bernie, AOC, etc. would all endorse Warren if Bernie came up short of the delegates he needs I suspect it wouldn't be QUITE this bad)

The candidate with the most delegates will be the nominee. Anything else would actually be a legitimate case of rigging.

Edit Unless there's a major question of the popular vote

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Yang is a man running for president and what in the goddamn hell a destruction legion what

This is bad.
    "Regional equity": more wealth transfer towards rural areas.
    Economic impact, urban blight, and power to overrule local governments: forget about environmental regulations, and more gentrification.

Also, the name is stupid.

• Options
    Monwyn wrote: »

Yeah all those kids with autism getting to get treatment on Tricare sure don't matter. Glad to know how you feel about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Goofy ass name aside the only part of Yang's proposal that really bothers me is the idea his Legion of Doom should get to overrule local law

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I just

A Legion of Builders and Destroyers whose Commander is apparently empowered with at will imminent domain?

No surely that won’t go wrong fast

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

(Vox reporter)

Yang 's policy proposals are bad and also he would be bad at being President

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Why do Yang’s proposals sound like something Lex Luther would say while drunk?

If Warren’s downward trend continues—which I sadly expect for a host of reasons—I really hope she lasts longer than Buttigieg. If she can keep all of his support from going to Biden, it increases Sanders’ chances in a head to head.

My opinion of the primary has become “anyone but Biden or Buttigieg,” and “any sentient entity but Trump.”

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Why do Yang’s proposals sound like something Lex Luther would say while drunk?

Because he has exactly one issue that he didn’t think through enough and everything else is just him doing political standup

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yang that already exists and is called the Army Corps of Engineers. They just can't do at will eminent domain and shouldn't. Far too easily misused or abused.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yang because someone had to replace Williamson in the joke candidate category.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah, at least Steyer seems to mean well. Even if his money would have been better spent doing pretty much anything else.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Yang that already exists and is called the Army Corps of Engineers. They just can't do at will eminent domain and shouldn't. Far too easily misused or abused.

The fact that he thinks it's totally fine of them to just do whatever, regardless of local regulations or whatever is... Whew.

That department might actually be decent for six months. Then it'd slowly fill with people who are terrible and they'd start bulldozing inner city community centers or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Marathon wrote: »

Yeah, at least Steyer seems to mean well. Even if his money would have been better spent doing pretty much anything else.

Yeah yang seems like someone trying to "disrupt" politics with about as much intelligence and long term thinking as "pets.com"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Yeah yang seems like someone trying to "disrupt" politics with about as much intelligence and long term thinking as "pets.com"

It’s like Kushner’s plan to turn Palestine into a resort

• Options

It’s like Kushner’s plan to turn Palestine into a resort

Well I don't think that low of Yang, but similar level of ability.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

The fact that he thinks it's totally fine of them to just do whatever, regardless of local regulations or whatever is... Whew.

That department might actually be decent for six months. Then it'd slowly fill with people who are terrible and they'd start bulldozing inner city community centers or something.

A massive WPA public works type deal would be great. And it'd probably involve a good amount of eminent domain.

But that needs to be handled at a higher level than some colonel who quite possibly has no idea or care why certain laws are in place.

Quid on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We’re giving Yang more thought and attention than he gave his own campaign platforms

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

(Vox reporter)

Yang 's policy proposals are bad and also he would be bad at being President

Big Chairman Yang from Alpha Centauri energy tbh

• Options

A massive WPA public works type deal would be great. And it's probably involve a good amount of eminent domain.

But that needs to be handled at a higher level than some colonel who quite possibly has no idea or care why certain laws are in place.

but the efficiency, think of the efficiency!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Can we keep it for that six months though? There's some properties in Bedminster NJ, Palm Beach FL, and 5th Avenue NY, that I'd like to see razed to the ground and turned into low cost accomodations for refugees, just to name three.

EDIT: Incorrectly said Bedford.

MorganV on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Ignoring the model talk, 538 posted a pretty nice history of surprises at the Iowa caucus.
    I ran retroactive versions of our polling averages for all Iowa caucuses dating back to 1988, excluding the 1992 Democratic nomination, where the other candidates essentially ceded the caucuses to Iowa U.S. Senator Tom Harkin. (Before 1988, polling of the caucuses was fairly sparse, so we can’t really calculate a polling average in the same way that we do today — although there were a number of upsets, like George H.W. Bush coming from way behind to beat Ronald Reagan there in 1980.) I’ll compare what the polls looked like after allocating undecided voters2 as of 12:01 a.m. four days before the caucuses — so as of just after midnight on Thursday in years where the caucuses were held on a Monday, for example — against the actual caucus results.3

You can find all of this data in a table at the end of this article. But just to show how frequent surprises are — really, it’s a surprise when there isn’t a surprise or two! — let me briefly run through each race in reverse chronological order.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-iowa-caucuses-are-in-4-days-almost-anything-could-still-happen/

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I'm going to talk about this in the context of the primary even though it's directly about impeachment. If you want to talk about impeachment go talk about it over there.
    "At a time when large majorities of Americans have lost faith in government, does the fact that the Chief Justice is presiding over an impeachment trial in which Republican Senators have thus far refused to allow witnesses or evidence contribute to the loss of legitimacy of the Chief Justice, the Supreme Court, and the Constitution."

What this question reinforces for me is that Warren understands the Republican Party better than anybody else running, which is another reason she would make the most effective president.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options

Postal Workers Union has endorsed Sanders.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Thread’s getting a quick restart.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.