As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Could I petition some help with excel/google sheets? I have a table of data with guest numbers going back to 2015. Like, Column A: 1/1/2015 - 2/5/2020 and Column B # of guests.

What I would like to do is get the average number of guests over 5 years. The part I am getting hung up is that weekend/holidays/etc are a big influence so it is more important that I am comparing MLK day (3rd Monday of January) each year instead of Jan 20th of each year. I know there must be a better way to do it than manually selecting each specific date. So for the MLK example, my current input looks like this

=AVERAGE(B20, B384, B748, B1112, B1483)
    Which then I drag that equation down until I have filled out the rest of the year.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've definitely been borderline felt up by phlebotomists, it was a lot worse when I was more vascular when I was exercising heavily.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm pretty dang pale and have big purple veins

Humblebrag

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Could I petition some help with excel/google sheets? I have a table of data with guest numbers going back to 2015. Like, Column A: 1/1/2015 - 2/5/2020 and Column B # of guests.

What I would like to do is get the average number of guests over 5 years. The part I am getting hung up is that weekend/holidays/etc are a big influence so it is more important that I am comparing MLK day (3rd Monday of January) each year instead of Jan 20th of each year. I know there must be a better way to do it than manually selecting each specific date. So for the MLK example, my current input looks like this

Which then I drag that equation down until I have filled out the rest of the year.

I couldn't find anything built in to sheets that lets you see if a specific date is a given holiday, but I did see a StackOverflow post
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43671564/check-if-date-is-a-holiday-in-google-sheets
    where it looks like they used JavaScript to connect to the calendar app, where they then pass it a calendar type (Japanese here) to get events on that day.

So you might be able to create another column using that to tag a date with an event, then use an if statement to only average it against dates with the same event tag. Doing formulas in spreadsheets gets kind gross with the syntax, so it might be easier to split all the years apart into their own columns, and do a regular date vs date average, then a holiday vs holiday in a different one so you don't get a giant mess of a formula.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You ever get one of those phlebotomists who get like, creepily excited when they find out you have good veins?

GOD yes. I'm pretty dang pale and have big purple veins and they get all wiggly before they stick me

Not every day you get to poke a blueblood.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

Get a table of historical MLK Day dates and look up to that, like add a boolean column c: is_mlk_day and then you can just do AVERAGEIF(b:b,c:c).

Do not, I repeat, do not under any circumstances attempt to write a formula to identify whether a given date is the third Monday in January.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm pretty dang pale and have big purple veins

Humblebrag

not humble at all

ladies

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    You ever get one of those phlebotomists who get like, creepily excited when they find out you have good veins?

GOD yes. I'm pretty dang pale and have big purple veins and they get all wiggly before they stick me

Not every day you get to poke a blueblood.

we faint away like a napkin in the wind afterwards

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Get a table of historical MLK Day dates and look up to that, like add a boolean column c: is_mlk_day and then you can just do AVERAGEIF(b:b,c:c).

Do not, I repeat, do not under any circumstances attempt to write a formula to identify whether a given date is the third Monday in January.

This was the rabbit hole I was beginning to go down...

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Coworker: My phone is broken, when I call the client it says they are unavailable
    Me: Perhaps... perhaps the client just didn't pick up?
    Coworker: It can't be, we have an appointment and it's about an important issue
    Me: Well, I'll test with my phone [same system] if you'd like
    Coworker: Even if it works for you, it doesn't mean that it's working for me

*five minutes later*

Coworker: I wrote down the time of the appointment wrong

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Yeah, for these purposes, if you have to know that information it would far easier to generate a repeating Sunday through Saturday sequence in one column (once the pattern is established selecting the block and extending should respect it) then have the dates for each year in their own column where you manually just paste in Jan 1 on the correct day of the week so it offsets correctly, then directly compare cells in the same row , ignoring blanks.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I have forearms with pretty intense veins, and a nurse I went on a date with recently complimented me on them, which was unusual to say the least

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    And that's the story of how Solar met your mother: Lady Dracula.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I have forearms with pretty intense veins, and a nurse I went on a date with recently complimented me on them, which was unusual to say the least

It's all that hypertension because you're stressed out from Brexit.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My right arm has smallish veins so it's always fun when the nurses go to that arm first and I just roll up my left arm that has this huge fucking blue line down it and they look at it and go "oh okay yeah i'll go over there"

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Joys of working with fairly big European airport, you get to know a lot of different airlines. Today I had to enlighten some people in the office on why "Freebird Airlines" might not be the best name for one.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I hate needles, but the backs of my hands are easy inserts, so I let fellow students practice on me when there was time. Usually didn't tell them I hate needles until after.

This checks out, looking at people's hands and arms and evaluating them for stabbability is a thing we do. Though I usually keep my assessment dialogue internal, 'cause it can be creepy as fuck.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    When I had bloodwork done for the military, they gave me a trainee to do the blood drawing. Now usually these things go over smoothly, as I have a fat vein at the elbow readily available on both arms. But after sticking me up 4 times and failing, the supervisor finally saw my discomfort and intervened.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

It's all that hypertension because you're stressed out from Brexit.

It's actually probably because I'm using bouldering as a de-stresser after work and therefore absolutely ruining my body, but that doesn't help, no

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Mrs. Bum, who works as one of out of a handful of 12-hour laboratory techs at a new smaller acute ER hospital and therefore is the de facto phlebotomist when she is working, will on occasion push on the veins on the back of my hands as if she is testing where to poke and teases me saying I got great veins and I'm so hydrated and so on.

I acquiesce, partly because of love and partly realizing she deals with patients that are not as fortunate due to being sick and dehydration and it really is a hard enough job for her to do effectively.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So I have gone back to subbing this week and a few of my US History students (from when I was student teaching) have informed me that they really miss my lectures/presentations.

Which makes me very happy!

But also makes me think on the consistent advice from every education professor that teachers are to refrain from lecturing.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    But also makes me think on the consistent advice from every education professor that teachers are to refrain from lecturing.

Huh.

I'm gonna guess it takes a different sort of talent that not everybody has or chooses to develop. Still feels like a weird thing to just write off though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Huh.

I'm gonna guess it takes a different sort of talent that not everybody has or chooses to develop. Still feels like a weird thing to just write off though.

Its tied to the idea that it generally has a very low level of engagement for students.

Which is fair because its true.

My lectures are accompanied with guided notes and include moments of activity/participation (partner share, small group discussions, ect..)

But the signature reason my students liked them was they were informative and concise, providing them with a lot of information in a manner they could retain & utilize later on in the unit.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Man, if I ever go to any sort of forum meetup it better include 45 minutes of Zonugal teaching us all about history. That sounds rad.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man, if I ever go to any sort of forum meetup it better include 45 minutes of Zonugal teaching us all about history. That sounds rad.

@Cello can maybe attest but I am constantly in teacher mode when we're out during the day in a locale.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular

If a history lesson is what you want I heartily recommend a 4-hour train trip with @Platy

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

@Cello can maybe attest but I am constantly in teacher mode when we're out during the day in a locale.

To be fair, I did ask for the philosophy 101 lesson at 4:30 AM in line at a Whataburger

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Huh.

Its tied to the idea that it generally has a very low level of engagement for students.

Which is fair because its true.

My lectures are accompanied with guided notes and include moments of activity/participation (partner share, small group discussions, ect..)

But the signature reason my students liked them was they were informative and concise, providing with a lot of information in a manner they could retain & utilize later on in the unit.

What you are doing isn't lecturing though. What they mean by lecturing in 45 minutes with no break of straight teacher talking and all notes. You are doing the correct thing of breaking up instruction with different sub activities and differentiation.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

You know what they say about guys with big veiny arms.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

No, please tell me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

No, please tell me.

Easy to draw blood from.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

No, please tell me.

They have d**** the size of my face!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    dishes?

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Welp, I just got the go ahead from my manager to start locking code branches whenever the build or any tests fail.

ifv7saotbcmo.gif

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

To be fair, I did ask for the philosophy 101 lesson at 4:30 AM in line at a Whataburger

Which I was happy to give after exploring the back alleys of San Antonio!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    When I had bloodwork done for the military, they gave me a trainee to do the blood drawing. Now usually these things go over smoothly, as I have a fat vein at the elbow readily available on both arms. But after sticking me up 4 times and failing, the supervisor finally saw my discomfort and intervened.

Heh.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Bah, got a rejection email from a place I'd applied to last month. It was a stretch so I'm not surprised they said no, but I in the middle of a store looking something up when the email came in. Didn't even get a chance to think about whether or not I wanted to open it right then. That sucked

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've been here since 4:30am doing my regular job as well as running around fixing various pieces of equipment, and just now I received an inter-office supply order and somebody in the mailroom drew a smiley face on my shipment. I kinda needed that. That was nice.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Got a call about an opportunity up in Washington. It's a 6 month contract-to-hire with no relocation assistance until you get full time so I'm more than a little sketch on it but if they pay enough it might be worth renting a room for a bit. I've been wanting a major change in pace which is really the only reason I'm even considering it.

• Options
    Woo! Snow day! Good thing I've got all this leftover chicken soup and chili.

Hah, just kidding. I trudged twenty minutes through the snow to have a completely rad burger and a beer. Bracing! And delicious!

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.