Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I wonder how often the current second interacts with students; do they cover individual libraries sometimes? Did they ramp up, gradually doing less and less at a particular school and more at the district office?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Last January the gas bill for one of our buildings, using actual read meter data, was $88, and that was typical for the whole of the winter

This January it was $3,865

I’m disputing it now but all I can think is thank goodness we’re a business and this isn’t some poor homeowner whose account was suddenly drained because of an obvious mistake

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Ugh. The water machine (we don't have coolers, it's this giant ancient combo ice dispenser thing) is back to being trash again. Lot of sediment floating around my waterbottle rn.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    I wonder how often the current second interacts with students; do they cover individual libraries sometimes? Did they ramp up, gradually doing less and less at a particular school and more at the district office?

As far as I can tell they manage all the databases and book orders/cataloging as well as new technology inclusion, including going to library conferences. They also travel to the different school libraries to help support the school librarians and do the required observations/mentoring.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I know I need to calm myself, but I still haven't heard anything on that job thing and I'm starting to freak a little bit. I should probably start cramming for some certs but I have to be able to afford them first.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Okay so preface. The head of library services is retiring at the end of the school year. I assume her second will be taking over. They are both highly competent at their jobs. Her second does all the technology side of library services and manages cataloging and such.

So the last few days I had the idea of how to better run overdue notices and have been working with the second in command to make that work. I got it functioning and wrote up instructions and such for other librarians. The second in command then emails me about wanting to stop by this week to "pick my brain about the future of school libraries and the direction of PD next year."

On the one hand, maybe she is doing this with everyone. On the other hand, oh god, what if they are thinking of offering me the second in command job to run all the tech stuff since I'm pretty sure I'm the next most tech savvy librarian in the district after her. It would be a sizable promotion to a 12 month job with higher pay at the district offices. However I don't really know if I want to do it as I like being in the schools helping students.

So what you're telling me is there might be an opening where you can help every student in the district?

Just another way to look at it.

Well, there's helping in the abstract where you don't actually spend much time with the people you're helping, and then there's helping them directly on a daily basis. If that face-to-face time is important to you, it can be really hard to give that up even if you know that you'd be "helping" more people in the grand scheme of things.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

As far as I can tell they manage all the databases and book orders/cataloging as well as new technology inclusion, including going to library conferences. They also travel to the different school libraries to help support the school librarians and do the required observations/mentoring.

Oh, hell yeah. If you've got purchasing power, database vendors are as good as pharma reps. Lots of free dinners and paid travel for "training."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Last January the gas bill for one of our buildings, using actual read meter data, was $88, and that was typical for the whole of the winter

This January it was $3,865

I’m disputing it now but all I can think is thank goodness we’re a business and this isn’t some poor homeowner whose account was suddenly drained because of an obvious mistake

At my old apartment, the electric company replaced my electric meter

My bill tripled instantly, I disputed this, they sent someone out to look at it. They told me it was correct. I contacted my landlord to make sure the building was wired correctly, as there was also someone newly moved into another part of the building.

I had to pay it, it really fucked up my life for several months

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Oh, hell yeah. If you've got purchasing power, database vendors are as good as pharma reps. Lots of free dinners and paid travel for "training."

Would someone else having more seniority get first crack at it?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    I would like you guys to know that I searched back to last year and used the exact same text to post here except changed Saturday to Sunday. And that text is a variation of previous years.

That is my level of dedication to this dumb joke.

Your dedication is appreciated.

I'm Bizarro Stormy

• Options
    No, you're not. Bizarro Stormy would never say that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Also it's Bizzaro Stormy with two Zs isn't it?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Yeah, you're probably right. I was more just throwing out props to whoever it is that does my favorite running joke on the forums.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Yeah, you're probably right. I was more just throwing out props to whoever it is that does my favorite running joke on the forums.
    We are all Bizzaro Stormy.

But one of us is more Bizzaro Stormy than others.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Guess who is in the bathroom taking a second to get away from the noise and people in the office? Some day I'll get used to open offices and talkative people but today is definitely not it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When I worked at Walmart there were days I would go out for lunch or if they demanded I cut my OT for lunch I would go out. On the days I would go out it was just horrible and I just needed to walk away

When I lived in Cheyenne there were two Dominos each on other sides of town and I lived in no man's land so neither would deliver to us just a small less than a mile streach of roads from Albany to Campbell

• Options
    I guess I need to look for a job

I'm increasingly frustrated with this one

Just got an email notifying me i have been in this department nine years, but it sure seems like things are headed to shit

I'm going to finish my Glassdoor profile tomorrow when I'm on PTO

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I got access to the Unique function in Excel today. So that's exciting.

But I was also there two and a half hours late because we were scrambling to get things ready for tomorrows boardmeeting. So that's tiring.

I'm so extired.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Ugh. The afternoon before a probable snow day is the looooooongest.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    I have an SQL query question that i'm currently unable to put in easily googlable format

So I have a list of ID#s and for each ID I have a starting date and an ending date

Is there an easy way to take a table with the three columns above and push that into another query to pull me all records with each ID between the start and end dates for that ID?

I already built a query that has the where statement for the ID and between x and y
    Should be doable with a self join where t2.start > t1.start and t2.end < t1.end
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »
    I have an SQL query question that i'm currently unable to put in easily googlable format

So I have a list of ID#s and for each ID I have a starting date and an ending date

Is there an easy way to take a table with the three columns above and push that into another query to pull me all records with each ID between the start and end dates for that ID?

I already built a query that has the where statement for the ID and between x and y

So you have a flat table (it's not persisted anywhere in your db and you just have a .csv or .xslx I'm guessing) with record IDs from one of your database tables, and it sounds like you're looking to retrieve records from a different table where the ID in question is not a primary key of the table you're pulling from? (Like if you have IDs from `accounts` but you're pulling records from `account_activity` where the `account_id` matches what you're looking for?)

Assuming I'm interpreting that correctly, I would likely do something like:
    SELECT
        account_activity.account_id,
        account_activity.date
    FROM
        account_activity
        INNER JOIN 
            (VALUES
                (123, 2019-01-01, 2019-02-01),
                (456, 2019-01-01, 2019-02-01)
            ) AS ranges (id, startdate, enddate) ON 
                account_activity.account_id = ranges.id AND account_activity.date BETWEEN ranges.startdate AND ranges.enddate;

(This is Postgres using the VALUES argument but other dbs have similar methods of using "flat", not-from-your-database tables in a query)

Another option would be to persist the table to your database and then use a subquery where you replace the whole "VALUES" construction with just "select * from ranges", but that might not be an option in this case.

I was able to do this with the inner join and a temporary table

I love you both more than customer who brought in free pizza for being an apparent PIA

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    All the schools and half the city offices have preemptively shut down. Based on past experience, I won't know whether or not I'm going to work until about an hour before I'm supposed to be there.

C'mon, snow. Don't screw me on this one. I don't want to spend the day in a library full of horrible children who stole my snow day.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    All the schools and half the city offices have preemptively shut down. Based on past experience, I won't know whether or not I'm going to work until about an hour before I'm supposed to be there.

C'mon, snow. Don't screw me on this one. I don't want to spend the day in a library full of horrible children who stole my snow day.

How is it you're blaming the children? If the snow day doesn't materialize, they'd also have their snow day stolen, too.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Send your snow over here, I could use a snow day.

Actually, send it to Seattle, so I don't have to work, but don't have to worry about getting around at home.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Elaro wrote: »

How is it you're blaming the children? If the snow day doesn't materialize, they'd also have their snow day stolen, too.

The schools have already closed. They don't unclose if it turns out the forecast was a bust.

In lighter news, my last act before leaving work was to help two deeply crusty burnouts print out some concert tickets to a Dweezil Zappa show. Picture two variations on the theme of present-day Tommy Chong. One of them had Pink Floyd on his shirt and hat, and they both talked more or less like a slightly blurred copy of The Dude.

The show is in Boise, Idaho tomorrow night.

I suppose they could be flying, but they definitely seemed more like the road trip types. It's a twenty-one hour drive from here to Boise.

I would watch the hell out of that movie.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In my run home last night it was snowing more likely falling to the ground and melting
    It is snowing right now continuing the same ideal yet on the other side of the mountain is really snowed

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today had a spectacular WTF from Ask A Manager - a manager who tapes her subordinates' mouths shut during meetings.

It's just...in every context, this would be considered abuse. I seriously doubt that this is even legal.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Work started a new training program and gave us 8 weeks to get all of our employees through it. It's about 10 hours per employee. I have 17 direct reports.

Of the 8 weeks, Christmas and new years were 2. The system didnt work for a total 3 of those weeks, intermittently though so as not to be in one big block.

Get a big angry email today saying the deadline has been extended and calling us all out for not getting it done.

Like, what did you guys think was going to happen?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Doing an IV by ultrasound on this critical patient with no veins. We already have one intraosseous line but need another to give the meds to stop them from seizing. These things take me like 5min tops. The resident hovering behind me is like "if you miss we're just going to put a central line in." I get the line and start the meds, then leave while they do the central line (it wasn't my patient, I was just helping). About 30 minutes later I walk past the room and they're still trying to put in the central line. I wanted to poke my head in and be like "hey if you can't get it I can put in more ultrasound IVs."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Okay so preface. The head of library services is retiring at the end of the school year. I assume her second will be taking over. They are both highly competent at their jobs. Her second does all the technology side of library services and manages cataloging and such.

So the last few days I had the idea of how to better run overdue notices and have been working with the second in command to make that work. I got it functioning and wrote up instructions and such for other librarians. The second in command then emails me about wanting to stop by this week to "pick my brain about the future of school libraries and the direction of PD next year."

On the one hand, maybe she is doing this with everyone. On the other hand, oh god, what if they are thinking of offering me the second in command job to run all the tech stuff since I'm pretty sure I'm the next most tech savvy librarian in the district after her. It would be a sizable promotion to a 12 month job with higher pay at the district offices. However I don't really know if I want to do it as I like being in the schools helping students.

Maybe next year you can start a yearly tradition of showing the movie Groundhog's Day once and only once in every library.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Woo! Snow day! Good thing I've got all this leftover chicken soup and chili.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PTO day
    Slept in a half an hour
    Feels good, y'all

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Doing an IV by ultrasound on this critical patient with no veins. We already have one intraosseous line but need another to give the meds to stop them from seizing. These things take me like 5min tops. The resident hovering behind me is like "if you miss we're just going to put a central line in." I get the line and start the meds, then leave while they do the central line (it wasn't my patient, I was just helping). About 30 minutes later I walk past the room and they're still trying to put in the central line. I wanted to poke my head in and be like "hey if you can't get it I can put in more ultrasound IVs."

It's always hilarious how bad some are at those basics. My sister was always known as the IV master and it got her some crazy opportunities. I would think it should be a core part of early medical testing to ensure you can do what you need.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

It's always hilarious how bad some are at those basics. My sister was always known as the IV master and it got her some crazy opportunities. I would think it should be a core part of early medical testing to ensure you can do what you need.

It's one of those things you can only really practice by doing, and how many opportunities you get varies by places. I got very good at setting intravenous lines because I did a residency in a day surgery, and had to set three or four a day as prep for surgery. But everybody does not get that kind of opportunity.

But it's still fun to watch the anesthesiologist/ nurses do it.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    No one believes me when I say they need to just get blood from my hand, because my arm has no veins. I had one good one, but it got blown out by MRI contrast, and hasn't been good since.

And we need some snow here in NYC. Now, I hate snow, and snow days are a pain in my ass. But the only day we had snow here, I was sick, and didn't take my kids out sledding. It was early in the season, and I figured there'd be at least one more day of snow this year...

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Sigh....one of my duties is checking the alerts we get based on the government watch lists every morning. They did a weird thing where they scanned a bunch of people from one of our online services so they told me to hold off on them for now. One of the managers has been printing these off our digital platform, then showing it to the other manager, decided what to do, then interoffice mailing them to me 5-10 at a time to let me know how they want to handle it....

1) you work in offices next to each other and these are on a digital platform just sit in one person's office and look at them together.

2) Why am I suddenly not able to make these decisions I've been making over a year on my one without a single incident?

3) You can clear them out yourselves, you have higher access then me. Or email me. Or call me. Why send me physical paper interoffice?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

This reminds me of when my youngest was a baby. She has Down Syndrome so she had frequent visits to the hospital as a baby until her ticker got fixed. On one such occasion the nurses in the ER were having trouble trying to find a good vein, so they put a call into the vein specialist. About 10 minutes later, the specialist comes sauntering in, like a cowboy strolling into a troubled town. Zip-zops a quick fix right on top of all the previous failed attempts and saunters back on out. Whole thing took less than 5 minutes. All the nurses were just staring at her in awe.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    You ever get one of those phlebotomists who get like, creepily excited when they find out you have good veins?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    You ever get one of those phlebotomists who get like, creepily excited when they find out you have good veins?

I had a doctor get really excited when she saw my veins and decided that she was going to put in the IV line herself for the first time in years rather than have the nurse do it.

She managed to go through the vein and the back of my hand started swelling up a few minutes later as the fluid just filled my hand rather than entering my bloodstream.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

GOD yes. I'm pretty dang pale and have big purple veins and they get all wiggly before they stick me

This discussion has been closed.