As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So very cool.
    The three of us that went to Paraguay last week now all have the flu!
    Gooooood times.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Welp, I just got the go ahead from my manager to start locking code branches whenever the build or any tests fail.

ifv7saotbcmo.gif

Cruel, but fair.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Welp, I just got the go ahead from my manager to start locking code branches whenever the build or any tests fail.

ifv7saotbcmo.gif

Cruel, but fair.

With how our GitHub is set up here, to push code from a working branch (which has to be named after a JIRA story), it has to pass automated build checks, as well as a manual peer review.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Schools have already closed for tomorrow. Doubt I'll get another snow day, but I'm greedy enough to hope for a late opening.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's cold as F in this house with the high winds and a temp of 28f good thing I got something for the oven or otherwise it would be a living mass of covers with me and the dogs again

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    ugh

no one ever mentioned that you lose unemployment benefits in this state if you're attending school or training.

So I guess I'm just out a week now

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Always a super fun day when your manager is off for a week and a half and the first day she's gone, the entire platform goes down pretty much first thing in the morning! Wait, no, not super fun, the other thing.

At least I have tacos and booze now.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Doing an IV by ultrasound on this critical patient with no veins. We already have one intraosseous line but need another to give the meds to stop them from seizing. These things take me like 5min tops. The resident hovering behind me is like "if you miss we're just going to put a central line in." I get the line and start the meds, then leave while they do the central line (it wasn't my patient, I was just helping). About 30 minutes later I walk past the room and they're still trying to put in the central line. I wanted to poke my head in and be like "hey if you can't get it I can put in more ultrasound IVs."

It's always hilarious how bad some are at those basics. My sister was always known as the IV master and it got her some crazy opportunities. I would think it should be a core part of early medical testing to ensure you can do what you need.

It's one of those things you can only really practice by doing, and how many opportunities you get varies by places. I got very good at setting intravenous lines because I did a residency in a day surgery, and had to set three or four a day as prep for surgery. But everybody does not get that kind of opportunity.

But it's still fun to watch the anesthesiologist/ nurses do it.

My mate was a phlebotomist for years at one of the medical labs here.

Thing is, a couple years ago he decided to get a nursing degree. So now he's a trainee nurse.

Trainee nurses aren't allowed to put in an IV. This is because most of them aren't certified yet, but he has all the creds, and thousands more instances of experience to draw on than most nurses. He was the vein whisperer at a bloodwork lab. He'd do a dozen patients an hour for days. The RNs know he can get a line in clean and quick and most of the time it would be better than they can.

But Trainee nurses are forbidden from putting in an IV.

Which is why they make sure no one official looking is around before they ask him to do a difficult line.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

ifv7saotbcmo.gif

Cruel, but fair.

With how our GitHub is set up here, to push code from a working branch (which has to be named after a JIRA story), it has to pass automated build checks, as well as a manual peer review.

Last thing I had to do before taking off for a 4-day holiday weekend yesterday was to drop in the coding for the emergency civil defense assistance grants for the flooding down south.

Scripted at 3:32pm, packaged at 4:21pm, deployed to prod at 5:12pm, commited at 5:28pm.

So I sure I hope I got that one right.

Having to drop in code to respond to currently ongoing civil defense emergencies is wild, yo.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So damned if I can remember where everyone was talking about Archery Last, but everyone posts here too. I was just browsing the Bowtech website and this thing is just a thing of beauty for target archery, Reckoning 38. It's also probably $1700 for a bare bow.

1qmq9hnclfrg.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

ifv7saotbcmo.gif

Cruel, but fair.

https://github.com/munificent/vigil

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    @Zonugal not sure how much of a podcast person you are, but as a history person, have you listened to any of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History? And if so, what are your thoughts on it and him?

I've listened to his entire catalog at this point (except the most recently released stuff), and I actually find him very, very engaging, and I enjoy his storytelling style.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    @Zonugal not sure how much of a podcast person you are, but as a history person, have you listened to any of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History? And if so, what are your thoughts on it and him?

I've listened to his entire catalog at this point (except the most recently released stuff), and I actually find him very, very engaging, and I enjoy his storytelling style.

I've never listened to it!

Should I start from the beginning?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

I've never listened to it!

Should I start from the beginning?

His earliest episodes are very, very short and kind of just rambling. Then he gradually gets to longer and longer episodes until you get to the Punic Nightmares 3-parter about the Punic Wars era that takes just about 4 hours.

His current format is a bit more like that, a multi-part series that is more akin to an audiobook.

I'd recommend browsing the list on wikipedia and just picking something that sounds like you'd be interested in hearing.

e: for reference, Punic Nightmares is a 3-part series that's episodes 21-23. He does a couple of interview episodes after that, then a very short "Blitz" episode, that he then follows with a 4-part, 5.5hr series on the Eastern Front in WW2. Three episodes after that series ends, he starts a series about the fall of the Roman Republic (which starts just a very short while after the end of the Punic Wars) that covers over thirteen hours in 6 episodes (the last episode is over 5 hours).

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Butler wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »
    Just started an extremely politely worded fight with my university's administration. Basically, they have an online system where grad students submit their annual reports and the like. Once they do, the system automatically notifies people higher up the food-chain that they need to sign off on it.

My position is that maybe, maybe, if students get their shit submitted a week ahead of the deadline? And those folks who are notified that they need to sign off on it, don't? And the system shows that that's exactly what's happened? Maybe the university should talk to the people they know are causing the hold up instead of sending vaguely threatening e-mails to the students.

Update: Got a reply back from the grad office. They agreed that this should not have happened, explained that it was due to an error in how our group's details had been set up in the new system, and invited anyone affected to contact them so that they can prevent it from happening again.

So I... won? Huh. How about that.

Spoke too soon, they inactivated my enrolment and those of at least three other students!

If I miss a scholarship payment because of this nonsense there will be consequences. Orderly, legal and proportionate consequences.

Butler on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    ugh

no one ever mentioned that you lose unemployment benefits in this state if you're attending school or training.

So I guess I'm just out a week now

That is fundamentally idiotic.

If you try to improve your chances of getting a job through study or training, they cut off your unemployment payments?

Everyone involved in that being a thing needs to have their heads surgically removed from their rectums.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Trying to figure out the right way to tell this subordinate that you do not put religious sermons on the car stereo when riding with your supervisor.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Doing an IV by ultrasound on this critical patient with no veins. We already have one intraosseous line but need another to give the meds to stop them from seizing. These things take me like 5min tops. The resident hovering behind me is like "if you miss we're just going to put a central line in." I get the line and start the meds, then leave while they do the central line (it wasn't my patient, I was just helping). About 30 minutes later I walk past the room and they're still trying to put in the central line. I wanted to poke my head in and be like "hey if you can't get it I can put in more ultrasound IVs."

It's always hilarious how bad some are at those basics. My sister was always known as the IV master and it got her some crazy opportunities. I would think it should be a core part of early medical testing to ensure you can do what you need.

It's one of those things you can only really practice by doing, and how many opportunities you get varies by places. I got very good at setting intravenous lines because I did a residency in a day surgery, and had to set three or four a day as prep for surgery. But everybody does not get that kind of opportunity.

But it's still fun to watch the anesthesiologist/ nurses do it.

My mate was a phlebotomist for years at one of the medical labs here.

Thing is, a couple years ago he decided to get a nursing degree. So now he's a trainee nurse.

Trainee nurses aren't allowed to put in an IV. This is because most of them aren't certified yet, but he has all the creds, and thousands more instances of experience to draw on than most nurses. He was the vein whisperer at a bloodwork lab. He'd do a dozen patients an hour for days. The RNs know he can get a line in clean and quick and most of the time it would be better than they can.

But Trainee nurses are forbidden from putting in an IV.

Which is why they make sure no one official looking is around before they ask him to do a difficult line.

That sounds like one of those situations that happens so rarely, no one has worked out an exception yet.

Here, only first year students aren't allowed. Second years learn how before going into hospital residencies, so they can train on it while there. Same with several other procedures.

It makes sense that first years aren't allowed, though, as the only residency that year is geriatric, in nursing homes, and starting out on old people's veins is a good way to break student's confidence in themselves.

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »

ifv7saotbcmo.gif

Cruel, but fair.

https://github.com/munificent/vigil

https://github.com/auchenberg/volkswagen

Now there are no excuses!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Resigned myself to working as much OT in February as I can stomach cause papa needs that cheddar.

I got things and stuff I need and my bank account has been sickly and anaemic since Christmas.

Luckily, if my devious plan works, I'm gonna use training as an excuse for some easy over time and then once I'm certified on the job I can more or less go in whenever I want and run what is basically the gravy post. So I'll be working a lot but I won't be working neeeeearly as hard as if I were running anything else.

I also had to volunteer for a Valentine's Day sale tied into a charity we host what for the schmoozing and the looking good for promotions. So I'll go in at 6:15am for about three hours to try my hand at hocking candy and teddy bears to good ole country boys who can survive and grizzled blue collars who can only speak in SAE socket measurements.

Fucking bring it on.

Edit: "had to volunteer" isn't exactly accurate but my boss knows I'm trying to move up and has done this kind of thing before. So when this came around he forwarded me the email with a very pointed fyi which indicated it would behoove me to volunteer.

Trying to stay positive and be relatively grateful that my bosses like me and my work enough to make a somewhat concentrated effort to get me up into a salaried position. At least until such a time as our society evolves beyond the need for trivial monetary incitement and possessions and learns to live in communal harmony with each other and our Mother Earth. Then I'll just fuck off and eat acorns and make macrame or something.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    A fun fact about leap years:

They are every 4 years
    But not every 100th year
    But are every 1000th year

Which means that 2000 was a leap year, but 2100 will not be.

So the simpler formula will break in 2100. Probably good enough.
    The moderately complicated formula will break if it goes back to 2000. That sounds dangerous.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I feel like the Gregorian calendar is one of those things we all know is pretty out of date (heh) and clunky but we just don't really want to try anything new even if it's way better. Like DST or forever wars.

• Options
    The only rational solution is to strap giant rocket engines to the planet and speed up our orbit by like six hours a year. I think the economic benefit of less-complicated Excel formulas will pay for the project in short order.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So damned if I can remember where everyone was talking about Archery Last, but everyone posts here too. I was just browsing the Bowtech website and this thing is just a thing of beauty for target archery, Reckoning 38. It's also probably $1700 for a bare bow.

1qmq9hnclfrg.jpg

Damn that's hot

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I feel like the Gregorian calendar is one of those things we all know is pretty out of date (heh) and clunky but we just don't really want to try anything new even if it's way better. Like DST or forever wars.

Eh, plenty of companies using 13 4 week blocks to split up their year for metrics

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

Ultimately there isn't any one calendar that makes sense in all ways, as none our 3 biggest natural markers of time line up exactly. At least not at time scales that are intuitive to humans.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

1qmq9hnclfrg.jpg

Damn that's hot

Gotta love a billet riser!

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Snow coming down hard enough that my bus was delayed. Once it was 10 minutes late, I decided to just start walking, and half an hour later I made it to my destination without the bus passing me. So I hope it's not in a ditch somewhere back there, and all the other passengers are safe.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Wow, so the PTO day was good

I played some Outer Worlds, got my character's ass handed to them for hours

Speccing for dialog at the beginning might have been a bad enough idea that I should make a new character, I spent several hours trying to rescue? The person from the deserters camp from raiders er um marauders

And the pile of shit on my desk and in my inbox almost makes me want to never take another day off again

Or quit and live off the land

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

Speccing for dialog at the beginning might have been a bad enough idea that I should make a new character, I spent several hours trying to rescue? The person from the deserters camp from raiders er um marauders

And the pile of shit on my desk and in my inbox almost makes me want to never take another day off again

I specced for dialog and Engineering at the beginning and had a similarly rough start to combat. I still finished the game without putting any skill points into the combat or leadership skills. Once you get find some better weapons that work for how you want to play, don't forget you can tinker with them at a workbench and make them better. I very quickly hit a point where I started to snowball and wasn't so hard pressed in combat.

Also there's two companions you can pick up on the first planet if you follow the main story a bit. Having two extra weapons helps too.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Seen at a local school a few days ago:

6xah2e51fgoa.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Why not just close the valve to the fixture?!

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    It also looks like there are two sinks there. Which one shouldn't you use?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

It's possible that the sink is in a situation where you need to catch the waste flow (say a chemistry lab).

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

It's possible that the sink is in a situation where you need to catch the waste flow (say a chemistry lab).

At least the floor will catch it in this case

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I just witnessed a computer at work running windows xp

• Options
    It's fine. All the malware that attacks XP probably broke when the hackers upgraded to 10.

Safe!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

You need to find the phylactery responsible and get rid of it. Look for canopic jars or brass lockets.

• Options
    expendable wrote: »

I specced for dialog and Engineering at the beginning and had a similarly rough start to combat. I still finished the game without putting any skill points into the combat or leadership skills. Once you get find some better weapons that work for how you want to play, don't forget you can tinker with them at a workbench and make them better. I very quickly hit a point where I started to snowball and wasn't so hard pressed in combat.

Also there's two companions you can pick up on the first planet if you follow the main story a bit. Having two extra weapons helps too.

I imagine I could eventually figure something out, but it would probably make more sense to build anew character

I don't have much time for playing videogames these days and hitting my head against this wall for hours would be the opposite of fun

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

You need to find the phylactery responsible and get rid of it. Look for canopic jars or brass lockets.

To be fair I've seen a few cases where someone wrote a critical application that only runs on XP, that someone is no longer with the company, and nobody really knows how to program a replacement... so IT has to carve out a totally off-the-network PC to run the thing indefinitely... or until someone in security yells loudly enough that people figure out a replacement.

It's definitely a thing that happens... terrifying as it may be.

This discussion has been closed.