Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see the reaction of people if they did force online-only. It wouldn't bother me too much except for car trips but I would probably put my phone in Hotspot mode then.

I feel like online only would kill some of the joy of doing it as you travel - That's always been a big point of enjoyment for me with AC, just chilling out with it while on the bus or similar.

Ironically, i'm going to miss street pass here. my city was at least semi-active when it came to streetpasses (And the cool cats at a local store had set up one of those street pass relays). Got a lot of animal crossing houses.

Most of them had murder basements, which was uh, well, okay then. I went the other direction: A basement crammed full of furniture for you to order (and by crammed full i mean there were two empty slots to move in)... oh, and a jukebox stuck in the back playing one of the most annoying/werid KK rider songs i could find to play. I have a reputation as a sadist to maintain, after all

I agree. And honestly, this is where I get totally lost on this. This is not a competitive game. At all. They're going out of their way not to let this be appealing to normal players in order to preserve the pristine experience for enthusiasts, who have historically always found ways to cheat their asses off anyway. (time travel being the biggest thing)

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The lack of cloud/transfer support has next to zero to do with cheating, its because of the one island per console thing. The existing save system cannot handle that feature because saves are unique per user, and the island is not, its dropped in an "extra data" section that most games don't use for save data. That is why they need their own bespoke in-game system to handle any of this.

In other words they are *really* committed to one island per console, and are making everything super inconvenient due to that. Although maybe they are doing one island in part to avoid the 4 GB save files you could get with Minecraft, NBA2k and the like.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    that's the whole thing, the reasoning only makes it so that hackers and pirates get a superior product in relation to us "idiots" who buy the game and have a non-hacked Switch. Especially considering how important a backup is for games like AC and Pokemon, that involve such a humongous investment of time.

It's pure garbage.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    That's what this news is about, though, the fact that they are going to have a backup solution in place at some point, it just doesn't currently work over the standard cloud backup application.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    All this AC talk just renews my disappointment at a lack of a Switch Fantasy Life.

• Options
    I mean I hope the news is right

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    That's what this news is about, though, the fact that they are going to have a backup solution in place at some point, it just doesn't currently work over the standard cloud backup application.

Right. But there exists a fully fledged, feature-complete solution. It's using normal saves and cloud backups. Literally every other company does it.

Edit: Also, "Everything is fucked because they're so committed to one island per switch, which is ANOTHER decision focused on reducing the ways you can play the game is not a good defense either.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    I can see how they'd want to reduce the easy ways to cheat when a big part of Animal Crossing is getting rare items through slow progress (and having them on display for multiplayer). As long as there is some way to back up the save in case disaster strikes, I'm more or less satisfied.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Not to count the sales chickens before they're hatched, but I get the impression a lot of people are going to experience what the Pokemon people who didn't like the reduced dex feel like. There's been a lot of crowing like "cry moar, your protest was soooo effective." Expect Animal Crossing to do the same.

Some people don't want to play Pokemon with a reduced dex or what they perceive as a lack of effort in presentation. And some people don't want to play Animal Crossing without individual islands or backed up saves. Neither will reflect in the final sales total.

There tends to be a persistent idea that if the people with complaints don't affect the game's sales, it must mean they're a minority and either their complaint isn't legitimate, or the company is justified in ignoring them. Not sure if either is true.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    6) This was obviously made using Persona 5 engine
    What makes you say that? I could easily see K-T using what they had with FEW and retooling it for this game. Which would probably have been a lot less work than getting another companies developers up to speed on an engine Atlus wrote and porting it to the Switch, especially if SMTV is still using Unreal.

Disclaimer: Haven't played P5, only watched speedruns of it.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Not to count the sales chickens before they're hatched, but I get the impression a lot of people are going to experience what the Pokemon people who didn't like the reduced dex feel like. There's been a lot of crowing like "cry moar, your protest was soooo effective." Expect Animal Crossing to do the same.

Some people don't want to play Pokemon with a reduced dex or what they perceive as a lack of effort in presentation. And some people don't want to play Animal Crossing without individual islands or backed up saves. Neither will reflect in the final sales total.

There tends to be a persistent idea that if the people with complaints don't affect the game's sales, it must mean they're a minority and either their complaint isn't legitimate, or the company is justified in ignoring them. Not sure if either is true.

Eh, it's less that "this is game ruining!" it's more incredulity that Nintendo is still doing this in the year 2020 when cloud saves have been the standard for over half a decade now. Animal Crossing is a beloved game, much like Pokemon. So much so that I am buying a Switch based on my Animal Crossing hype. I almost bought one for Pokemon... But then I didn't, because of Dexit. Yeah, my family still got me a copy of Pokemon for Xmas so I've played it, but I would have had a Switch 6 months ago if Pokemon hadn't fucked up.

Yes, the games will sell a nasty amount. Nintendo probably doesn't have to do anything to change and they'll still make a fuck bucket of money. And to me, the Animal Crossing save thing is dumb but not "obstain from buying" territory like the Pokemon stuff was. Everyone has a personal line, and how they feel can and will dictate how they buy things. I think Nintendo is losing money when they do this kinda thing, just to them it's a plink in the bucket.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don’t know, I can easily imagine some wild soul having multiple islands for farming purposes towards their ‘true’ island, or whatever. I suppose if you’ve got multiple Switches and cartridges you can do that anyway if you’re madcap enough.

In fairness I feel like there is room for a plausible design choice about how they want the game to be experienced, and having one island to mirror the real-life home the game is played in, or something like that.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I just can't get worked up about all the bizarre choices Nintendo constantly makes. It's just like, their thing. They just get hung up on really bizarre out of the mainstream notions. Like friend codes, or a console that's also a portable with detachable controllers, or how they liked the snapping sound when said controller used to attach magnetically, so they kept it in the final product even though they don't use magnets anymore.

Sometimes they stick with games despite their middling success for decades, like Luigi's Mansion or Fire Emblem. And sometimes they release a game with only one shared save per console.

The only thing I know for certain is, expect Animal Crossing to have only one save per system for at least 2 more iterations. And then, maaaaaaybe, Nintendo will be open to changing their thinking.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    a Switch Fantasy Life.

I want this very much.
    I'm also still curious what the Etrian Odyssey team has been up to in the meantime.

Those are the two things the Switch is currently missing, for me. It has literally everything else.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Here's a mind-blower: turns out Banjo-Kazooie is named after former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi's family.
    While touring Japan recently, Robinson learned that former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi, who died in 2013, has a son called Katsuhito Yamauchi, whose name is more commonly shortened to just “Katsuhi”. And he has a grandson called Banjo Yamauchi.

Banjo-Katsuhi. Banjo-Kazooie. Former Rare staffers confirmed it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dexit mattered, less than people probably thought before the sales, but it did matter. Suddenly 200 old school pokemon showing up in an expansion doesn't sound like their plans going forward as usual. They will eventually get some Switch Pokemon game to a full dex. Before likely punting again on the next system.

You do see them clobbering together some solution for AC saves now, "details forthcoming" because they haven't figured it out yet. Same with local multiplayer online in Mario Maker 2. I wonder whether these things are bigger issues in English speaking territories and that is why these Japan studios get caught flatfooted. (Gamefreak didn't make the mistake of actually revealing dexit in Japan before Home arrives.)

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I disagree. not having a ton pokemon catchable in a whole generation is business as usual. If you want to complete the national dex back in gen 4 you'd need something like 6 games. The one difference is not being able to TRANSFER them. But adding stuff is common. The third game usually added a bunch of older pokemon each time.

My point is that the expansions bringing more pokemon to the dex is not necessarily related to the outcry.

Not to mention that the reason for "dexit" (ughm ugh) was the amount of work needed to get all old Pokemon ready for prime time. It makes perfect sense that they'll have some time to work on them since SWSH to the release of the DLC.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    If the game needed more time (which to be honest, it feels like it does) they should have delayed it. The wild areas are one of the biggest draws for the game and they play like ass. It's a huge letdown, expecting something like Breath of the Wild and getting something... Else

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The only real sorta kinda eeeehhhh not complaint but sticking point, I guess, for me about the Dexit is that Masuda straight up said after the game's launch that they weren't going to add more Pokemon to SWSH and that this would be the way of things for future titles. But of course y'know, outrage + potential money = they're adding more Pokemon to SWSH. I'm not exactly surprised, just I dunno. Honestly the expansions look like a much better deal than a third game that most people traditionally wouldn't buy. I've no real problem with that.

edit- I'm personally not at all upset about the expansions, but for those who are I can kinda see where they're coming from.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Axen wrote: »
    The only real sorta kinda eeeehhhh not complaint but sticking point, I guess, for me about the Dexit is that Masuda straight up said after the game's launch that they weren't going to add more Pokemon to SWSH and that this would be the way of things for future titles. But of course y'know, outrage + potential money = they're adding more Pokemon to SWSH. I'm not exactly surprised, just I dunno. Honestly the expansions look like a much better deal than a third game that most people traditionally wouldn't buy. I've no real problem with that.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, yes. He said they weren't doing business as usual, but I guess now they are.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Or, maybe he said they weren't going to add more Pokemon because they weren't ready to go public with the expansion yet, and so that's what you do when you work at a company and know something that isn't yet marked to be publicly available.

Just like how no one was developing games for the PS5 until the PS5 was officially announced. They totally were, but they weren't admitting to it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    If the game needed more time (which to be honest, it feels like it does) they should have delayed it. The wild areas are one of the biggest draws for the game and they play like ass. It's a huge letdown, expecting something like Breath of the Wild and getting something... Else

yes the game needed more time, and should have been delayed
    but why would expect that Wild Areas would be like BotW?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Or, maybe he said they weren't going to add more Pokemon because they weren't ready to go public with the expansion yet, and so that's what you do when you work at a company and know something that isn't yet marked to be publicly available.

Just like how no one was developing games for the PS5 until the PS5 was officially announced. They totally were, but they weren't admitting to it.

Things was he wasn't even asked about specifically, he just stated it as a matter of fact and then went on to say that all the future games would be this way when questioned about Dexit. The part about "all future games" is really why I doubt they were trying to keep things under wraps. I truly believe that they had all intentions of keeping the Dex of each future title limited to cut down on Dev time and costs. The outrage probably had them change plans. In fact I'm going to take a stab in the dark and predict that all Galar Pokemon will be available in the next game (which would run contrary to what they've previously said).

My guess as to what happened is that they probably saw all the outrage about Dexit, they had expansion plans and they thought a good peace offering would be to add more Pokemon with the expansions. Not realizing how bad it'd look to announce such a thing barely two months after the game's initial release.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I really want them to port the whole Danganronpa and 999 serieses to Switch already.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I wish I understood anything anyone was saying on this page.

Isn’t SWSH some big concert in the southwestern part of the US?

Drez on
  • Options

yes the game needed more time, and should have been delayed
    but why would expect that Wild Areas would be like BotW?

I meant in terms of performance

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The fact that we're getting a physical cart and more importantly they're all healthy make's me happy.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Outer Worlds was one of those "physical box with a download code inside" deals, right?

It's kind of hard not to parse that statement as "In order to convince publishers to not be lazy and actually print cartridges, we need to infect them with deadly epidemics". :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Outer Worlds was one of those "physical box with a download code inside" deals, right?

It's kind of hard not to parse that statement as "In order to convince publishers to not be lazy and actually print cartridges, we need to infect them with deadly epidemics". :)

But if each epidemic takes roughly 2.5% of the population and results in a 2 month delay, your diminishing returns will start to kick in after 6 uses. So, we better make em fucking count!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    6) This was obviously made using Persona 5 engine
    What makes you say that? I could easily see K-T using what they had with FEW and retooling it for this game. Which would probably have been a lot less work than getting another companies developers up to speed on an engine Atlus wrote and porting it to the Switch, especially if SMTV is still using Unreal.

Disclaimer: Haven't played P5, only watched speedruns of it.

Not sure if anyone would consider some of this spoilery with regard to some aspects of P5S so I’m putting it in spoilers to be on the safe side:
    Textures and art are just that, and certainly can be brought into other projects more easily than other game components, but having played both, P5S absolutely feels and looks almost exactly the same as P5 insofar as certain interiors are concerned.

But it’s less the look than the feel. Feels the same. Though it’s both - the look is identical to the P5 locales I’ve seen so far.

Also, It feels more like P5 to me than any musou game I’ve played, at least in the way the engine drives the aesthetic.

It’s possible it’s not the same exact engine but I’m suspicious.

And honestly it doesn’t matter with regard to my underlying point: Same exact engine or not, If they can achieve the same aesthetic, feel, and smoothness as P5 on the Switch, they absolutely have the capability to port P5R to the Switch too.

Drez on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Axen wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Things was he wasn't even asked about specifically, he just stated it as a matter of fact and then went on to say that all the future games would be this way when questioned about Dexit. The part about "all future games" is really why I doubt they were trying to keep things under wraps. I truly believe that they had all intentions of keeping the Dex of each future title limited to cut down on Dev time and costs. The outrage probably had them change plans. In fact I'm going to take a stab in the dark and predict that all Galar Pokemon will be available in the next game (which would run contrary to what they've previously said).

My guess as to what happened is that they probably saw all the outrage about Dexit, they had expansion plans and they thought a good peace offering would be to add more Pokemon with the expansions. Not realizing how bad it'd look to announce such a thing barely two months after the game's initial release.

This was possibly the case, because this DLC would have had to have started development before the main game finished and does look like that. However people complaining about "Dexit" were resoundingly shut up by the extremely fast and strong sales the game achieved in very little time. It is possible that the developers were concerned about this and were anticipating a sales drop, so went ahead with a DLC structure to add in the remaining pokemon as a means to regain sales later.

That has definitely proven to be unnecessary and a complete dex on release is not a factor in the game being successful sales wise or not.

As for me, Sword and Shield is my first Pokemon game and my primary complaint is that I got bored with it by around the time I got the water bike. There isn't a lot of fun stuff to explore for the sake of exploration (to my surprise) and there was just a non-existent challenge level throughout the game (up to where I am anyway). I got frustrated and annoyed trying to catch most things, so just resorted to using quick balls to make the process considerably less painless just to catch irrelevant jobber style pokemon.

I've enjoyed the game, I think, but I really was hoping for a much more interesting challenge than what it presents. I've barely changed any of my pokemon since I formed my initial 6!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still I am curious in Animal Crossing will there be amiibo support

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »

But if each epidemic takes roughly 2.5% of the population and results in a 2 month delay, your diminishing returns will start to kick in after 6 uses. So, we better make em fucking count!

Today, the doctor who initially started warning other clinics about the new virus (and was subsequently detained by Wuhan police) died from the virus. Hundreds dead so far. Not really funny.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Still I am curious in Animal Crossing will there be amiibo support

I heard there will be but there are no specifics. I’d love for the cards to allow you to get specific animals like in the Welcome Amiibo update to New Leaf. I get the sinking feeling Nintendo won’t bother though.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    The lack of cloud/transfer support has next to zero to do with cheating, its because of the one island per console thing. The existing save system cannot handle that feature because saves are unique per user, and the island is not, its dropped in an "extra data" section that most games don't use for save data. That is why they need their own bespoke in-game system to handle any of this.

In other words they are *really* committed to one island per console, and are making everything super inconvenient due to that. Although maybe they are doing one island in part to avoid the 4 GB save files you could get with Minecraft, NBA2k and the like.

I don't know how NBA2k gets up to multi-gigabyte sized save files, but minecraft does it by saving vast quantities of voxel chunks from the endlessly expandable map. Animal Crossing saves only need a very small, fixed set of data relative to that. I would be amazed if they managed to use more than a few tens of megabytes.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see the reaction of people if they did force online-only. It wouldn't bother me too much except for car trips but I would probably put my phone in Hotspot mode then.

I feel like online only would kill some of the joy of doing it as you travel - That's always been a big point of enjoyment for me with AC, just chilling out with it while on the bus or similar.

Ironically, i'm going to miss street pass here. my city was at least semi-active when it came to streetpasses (And the cool cats at a local store had set up one of those street pass relays). Got a lot of animal crossing houses.

Most of them had murder basements, which was uh, well, okay then. I went the other direction: A basement crammed full of furniture for you to order (and by crammed full i mean there were two empty slots to move in)... oh, and a jukebox stuck in the back playing one of the most annoying/werid KK rider songs i could find to play. I have a reputation as a sadist to maintain, after all

I agree. And honestly, this is where I get totally lost on this. This is not a competitive game. At all. They're going out of their way not to let this be appealing to normal players in order to preserve the pristine experience for enthusiasts, who have historically always found ways to cheat their asses off anyway. (time travel being the biggest thing)

Normal people will use the time travel stuff because it's built into the game and so doesn't feel like cheating. Normal people will savescum no matter how mad the game gets at you for doing it because it doesn't punish you outside of that momentary inconvenience and the more you do it the less you're bothered. Normal people are perfectly happy sharing a single town with everyone in their household. What normal people don't do is buy multiple memory cards/carts and make multiple towns so they can do stuff like have access to all the fruit. This whole tempest is about enthusiasts complaining about their enthusiast ways not being supported, nothing that normal people do is impacted.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »

Normal people will use the time travel stuff because it's built into the game and so doesn't feel like cheating. Normal people will savescum no matter how mad the game gets at you for doing it because it doesn't punish you outside of that momentary inconvenience and the more you do it the less you're bothered. Normal people are perfectly happy sharing a single town with everyone in their household. What normal people don't do is buy multiple memory cards/carts and make multiple towns so they can do stuff like have access to all the fruit. This whole tempest is about enthusiasts complaining about their enthusiast ways not being supported, nothing that normal people do is impacted.

Normal people have kids... And kids fuck up everything. Hell, I've had adult friends fuck up my Minecraft towns (on purpose and by accident). It's totally normal to have/want multiple saves. Even growing up, I had a Pokemon save wiped by a younger brother who didn't realize it would get rid of mine in the process of starting his own game. There are all sorts of valid reasons to want more than one island than "wants all fruits very fast."

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I don’t do any kind of crazy “cheating” in Animal Crossing but I do have an odd schedule. I work longer hours and at night. That also means I sleep during the day. In the past I haven’t always been able to play when stores are open and animals are awake. The ordinances helped but only so much. I’d like to have the opportunity to get sleep and not miss out on things by time traveling but I won’t be able to because Daddy Nintendo said no. I’ll still enjoy the game but it’ll be less convenient.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

Normal people have kids... And kids fuck up everything. Hell, I've had adult friends fuck up my Minecraft towns (on purpose and by accident). It's totally normal to have/want multiple saves. Even growing up, I had a Pokemon save wiped by a younger brother who didn't realize it would get rid of mine in the process of starting his own game. There are all sorts of valid reasons to want more than one island than "wants all fruits very fast."

The people who think like that are enthusiasts, normal people just engage with what the game offers. Since the game doesn't offer a way to make multiple towns they never really think about it. I can count on one finger how many people I personally know in real life who this would affect, everyone else has always shared their towns with their siblings/spouse/kids/family. I don't think there's some silent majority waiting in the wings to be outraged that there's no way to make multiple saves.
    I don’t do any kind of crazy “cheating” in Animal Crossing but I do have an odd schedule. I work longer hours and at night. That also means I sleep during the day. In the past I haven’t always been able to play when stores are open and animals are awake. The ordinances helped but only so much. I’d like to have the opportunity to get sleep and not miss out on things by time traveling but I won’t be able to because Daddy Nintendo said no. I’ll still enjoy the game but it’ll be less convenient.

There's nothing stopping you from setting the in-game time to be off real time by like 6 hours or whatever so when you're awake it's the afternoon in-game. I don't even know how having multiple saves would affect this?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Yeah, it's a very odd feeling to be pleased there'll be a physical release while the only reason there'll be a physical release is because of a terrible epidemic.