Options

[Steam] Fight the good fight, join the S-Team today!

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Humble Bundle just announced that regional pricing is coming to their bundles:
    https://blog.humblebundle.com/2020/02/10/announcing-regional-pricing-for-bundles/
    You know how this usually ends so we can expect price increases.

But the keys are all still worldwide retail right? Or are they planning on releasing regional keys too?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Oh yay now I will be paying the Australia tax on Humble?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I picked up Rage 2 while it was on sale. I'd been curious about it as I liked the idea of an open world shooter with better shooting than the likes of Just Cause and Far Cry. I've had fun with it in the first two hours but man, the writing and dialogue are horrid. The main plot so far feels like an edgy take on young adult "you're special and we need you to save us" fiction and the side quest npcs go into spiels about how bad things are before they ask you to kill six moose or whatever that I can't find a way to speed up. The tutorial simulations when you pick up a new weapon or power are badly paced and lethargic. I can see why a lot of people would be turned off and leave enough negative reviews to give it a mixed user score.

The combat so far is fun though. Your first special ability is a dash/dodge and the game wastes no time in throwing enemies that throw grenades for you to dash away from. The open world locations I've gone to have featured some form of verticality in the area design that's put to use getting advantageous firing positions before needing to move to avoid being flanked or flushed out by explosives. It's not the frantic gotta go fast dashing around of Doom but feels way more dynamic than the usual way this style of shooter plays out.

What difficulty are you playing on? On Hard or nightmare, you very much need to keep moving like in Doom. Also as you unlock more abilities, perks and guns - and upgrade those because this game is chock full of upgrades, the combat gets even more dynamic. Unfortunately, they thought it was a fantastic idea to lock all this behind totally optional Arks that you need to go out of your way to find. It's completely possible to finish the game in about 5 hours with the Dash ability, Pistol, Assault Rifle and Shotgun, because these are the only bits you unlock as part of the story. They made an absolutely phenomenal combat system (they had Robert Duffy from id Software doing this for them), then locked it behind a really average Avalanche open world with little story or reason to explore other than 'I want to'.

I 100% recommend people this game based on the combat system if they're willing to spend two dozen hours going off the beaten path to unlock its potential. I find it very hard to recommend outside of the combat system.

It really amazed me because even as someone who explores off the beaten path I found myself almost 99% done with the entire map before finding some of the best guns and abilities. I was like oh this seems neat too bad the game is literally done

It was such bad design, like maybe make one or two abilities or guns optional, but having 90% of your abilities and guns be completely optional, and entirely off the beaten path, in some cases so far from any main content that there really is no hope of finding it before you’re basically done, is crazy

Also the main story was garbage but I did like that most places you went there was unique incidental dialogue or story stuff for that location. It made it much more enjoyable to go to a random location than with something like far cry, where it always feels like 70% of the locations are just random spawned in guards rinse and repeat.

Some of the unique location dialogue, like with the dudes who can never uncover their faces or skin, and other stuff like that, was neat. But most people would just experience the main story and that was super dull and leaned too much on the wacky borderlands style thing which I felt didn’t really work. It’s one of the cases where they went kooky to try and be more appealing but it felt somehow more bland for me than an earnest kind of grim dark world that was in the original. I’m not saying the original was great, but it didn’t really feel like the zaniness angle worked here either.

Prohass on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Honestly I feel the problem was Avalanche. For a company that makes only open world games, they're not very good at it. Tim Willits said that they didn't use an id tech engine and went to Avalanche because of their Apex engine, because they learned with the first Rage that you need an open world engine to make an open world game.

You kinda need a developer who knows how to make a good open world game as well as an engine. Rage 2 feels like it had the same problems as Just Cause 3. There was a fun gameplay loop (Rage 2 has awesome first person combat (when you unlock everything), Just Cause 3 had some great explosives based mayhem when liberating towns) stuck inside a dead world where outside of points of interest on a map, it's just like a long manual loading screen on the way to the next one.

I get that id software are focusing on the Doom franchise internally and Bethesda is licensing out their IP's, but they need to find someone better than Avalanche for Rage 3 if it ever happens.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Yeah it felt like it needed a reason to be open world and that just wasn’t there. It arguably would’ve been basically the same game, or better, if it was linear with larger vehicle sections like the first one. It also felt like they were going to do more with the vehicle aspect of the game but then kind of backed off. The vehicles felt fun and explosions were great with the convoys, but again just not enough was done with it so it felt like a distraction, like they didn’t have their heart in it. Ultimately I didn’t find it to be a bad game, just not enough of anything to be memorable. It felt like a big hedged bet

Prohass on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    signature.png
    I guess I'll make one for my goty too
    signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I don't think I remember seeing anything in the thread about Nite Team 4, but it looks super neat.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Will there 3ver be another gta or is 5 it?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Will there 3ver be another gta or is 5 it?

I bet there will be.
    If only for the reason that GTA Online makes megabucks. But it seems extremely unstable and crashy. Literally added on as a fun extra, turned out the most popular thing in the world.
    Making a new version of that would make sense.

The lead writer on 3-5 just left though.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    So lets have a discussion about Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem. First, its an ARPG in the vein of Diablo, Path of Exile, Torchlight, etc. Its basics are the same, you click and press buttons to clear massive groups of enemies. What it does is a bit of differences with the combat and classes.

The game is Currently in Early Access. Everything i've said could completely change, I haven't been keeping up with the information released, but the full game comes out on the 13th. Its currently $30 and after release it'll be going up to $45.

From the VERY limited playtime ive had, i'm cautiously excited for this game. I really enjoyed whats there, and I like being able to mix and match my character's skills to my own liking. Theres a LOT of new info on the official boards, but I havent dug into it too much because im excited for release and going in somewhat blind.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/424370/Wolcen_Lords_of_Mayhem/

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was going to pick it up earlier but forgot about it and now I can save $15.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So lets have a discussion about Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem. First, its an ARPG in the vein of Diablo, Path of Exile, Torchlight, etc. Its basics are the same, you click and press buttons to clear massive groups of enemies. What it does is a bit of differences with the combat and classes.

The game is Currently in Early Access. Everything i've said could completely change, I haven't been keeping up with the information released, but the full game comes out on the 13th. Its currently $30 and after release it'll be going up to $45.

From the VERY limited playtime ive had, i'm cautiously excited for this game. I really enjoyed whats there, and I like being able to mix and match my character's skills to my own liking. Theres a LOT of new info on the official boards, but I havent dug into it too much because im excited for release and going in somewhat blind.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was going to pick it up earlier but forgot about it and now I can save $15.

I'm going to wait a couple years for the GOTY edition and then I'll buy it on sale super cheap and promptly store it in my backlog because I'm too busy playing Minesweeper or something.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »

I'm going to wait a couple years for the GOTY edition and then I'll buy it on sale super cheap and promptly store it in my backlog because I'm too busy playing Minesweeper or something.

This cat 'Blizzard's.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

2016-03-07-1457387813-3802365-PHOTO2-thumb.jpeg

The other half is- oh wow something on my wishlist is like 70% off

what were we talking about?

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

I can think of some sci fi civilizations that would scream at the sight of that.

I predict DLC has them launching drop/seed pods

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I watched the trailer for Satisfactory, and the idea of finding a serene, untouched wilderness planet with gorgeous landscapes and its own ecology and slowly destroying it with a steady industrial advance of colossal machines that belch poisonous black smoke and leak heavy crude directly into the soil (all with the help of some co-op buddies) sounds like a really fun time.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Many things are half the battle. Losing is half the battle. Let's think about what is all the battle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I watched the trailer for Satisfactory, and the idea of finding a serene, untouched wilderness planet with gorgeous landscapes and its own ecology and slowly destroying it with a steady industrial advance of colossal machines that belch poisonous black smoke and leak heavy crude directly into the soil (all with the help of some co-op buddies) sounds like a really fun time.

Have you looked at Factorio?

Because it's basically top-down Satisfactory.

It's also about taking a pristine wilderness and turning it into an industrial hellscape of pollution and machinery.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

Many things are half the battle. Losing is half the battle. Let's think about what is all the battle.

Gifting Pixie.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Have you looked at Factorio?

Because it's basically top-down Satisfactory.

It's also about taking a pristine wilderness and turning it into an industrial hellscape of pollution and machinery.

Pristine wilderness full of terrifying monsters, tho.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Division 2 for $3 today on Uplay

https://store.ubi.com/us/the-division-2/?lang=en_US

Worth $3 definitely. Not the most amazing game, but its pretty good. I enjoyed the hours I spent, but the endgame had a bit to be desired.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Worth $3 definitely. Not the most amazing game, but its pretty good. I enjoyed the hours I spent, but the endgame had a bit to be desired.

Are the enemies all still bullet sponges? I played the first when it was free, and it was decent, but the bullet sponge enemies ruined it for me.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Mister Ness... I do not approve of your methods.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Gifting Pixie.

7cmiblyha9x5.png

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Holy shit, thanks! Bought'd!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    This is quite unexpected, specially considering that the Satisfactory Steam page was removed some time ago and Jace Varlet refused to acknowledge Steam's mere existence last week (01:08:06):
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/546705293?t=68m06s
    Hoping the offer will be extended to the EU too (still 24€ here right now).

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    This is quite unexpected, specially considering that Jace Varlet refused to acknowledge Steam's mere existence last week (01:08:06):
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/546705293?t=68m06s

They probably wanted to save the announcement until after Update 3 was out. Gives them something to talk about now that they don't have the update to talk about anymore and likely don't have Update 4 in anywhere near a state that's ready to be talked about.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

Are the enemies all still bullet sponges? I played the first when it was free, and it was decent, but the bullet sponge enemies ruined it for me.

Sometimes you get to fire a full 100-bullet belt of LMG ammo in the face of a guy and then he hits you with a sledgehammer when you are reloading.

I still enjoyed the game, though. Having a wee little gunner drone buddy was great, you rarely see things in scifi that are just the current tech turned up to 11. Makes it all feel more real, even with the bullet sponges.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

That is a ridiculous bundle. Gorn, super hot, and Moss? I don't even have a pcvr headset (yet) and I'm going to grab it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Fight an enemy that takes three thousand bullets to kill. Die.

Respawn from the last checkpoint.

Find everything also respawned, except your consumables.

Die again.

ALT+F4.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Division 2 is even less solo friendly than Division 1, a game that wasn't very solo friendly to begin with. But at least I managed it in that game. Also DC in the summer is a worse setting than New York at winter.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Division 2 is even less solo friendly than Division 1, a game that wasn't very solo friendly to begin with. But at least I managed it in that game. Also DC in the summer is a worse setting than New York at winter.

Yeah, but $3.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

While i don't doubt this, i solo'd everything up through WT5 and didn't have a super huge issue except for 2 or 3 fights.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

I had the exact opposite experience, having more fun soloing in Division 2 than in 1 because I had two pets (turret and drone) to help me flank the enemies instead of just one. Never had any trouble finishing anything I tried, though I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I didn't do.

ETA: I'm sure if you pick totally different skills soloing could be a lot harder. Both of my autofiring little friends pulled their weight very well, they were basically critical to getting anything harder done. Even if I misunderstood how skill power works for 90% of my playthrough, I thought it is some sort of +goodier stat that makes everything the skills do work better when in reality it only acts as a cap for how good attachments you can add to the skills and does absolutely nothing otherwise.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Also DC in the summer is a worse setting than New York at winter.

Because of the humidity...?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah Division 2 is just as solo friendly as the first game imo, if not moreso due to the lack of Group-Only Incursions. (There's only the Raid but that's 1 single thing)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, I'm about 5-8 years too late, but I've been consumed by the visious Skyrim cycle.

-Start a new character
    -Play till lvl 40-50 barely touching the main quest (got far enough to unlock Dragonrend for the first time ever last night!)
    -Get bored, find some new mods to spice things up
    -Come up with a new character idea
    -Repeat

Side effect of getting treatment for anxiety I guess. Used to be too worried about "ruining" the game or "wasting" time with getting mods I *might* end up removing to work to try anything more than the unofficial patch + a few small QoL things, so I'd only go through it maybe three times before finally running out of things to do, calling it and moving on.

But this time around I'm trying things like Frostfall and expanded Werewolf traits (though I bounced off the one I tried) Only thing that's kept me going off the deep end is the fact I'm so far limiting myself to what I can find on Bethesda's site, mainly because I'm not sure what the load order would be if I wanted to keep things I've found on Bethesda's site but aren't particularly easy to find/bundled the same way on Nexus (mainly some standalone armor/weapons), but still want the script extender + the mods that need that or are otherwise unable to be on the Bethesda site. (Like the whole massive KS/ApachiiSky hair options and a UI that wouldn't crash on trying to browse through them, or trying out some of the more expansive system overhauls/content.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

The balance of the game went through a number of changes. The last big one they did reduced Time To Kill all around. An enemy might take 10 bullets to down because it was still Tom Clancy's Destiny, but your gun could fire 15 bullets in one second.

I'm not sure how much of that filtered down to the leveling process. But it definitely wasn't just a function of equipment. The Survival match game type started everyone with just a pistol and infected wound had a limited arsenal to procure but did not feel bullet spongey outside of the special Hunter enemies that mimicked player abilities. They could still go down with a few sniper rifle bullets but unlike other enemies they had healing abilities and health restoration consumables like players.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I only ever found Time to Kill a problem above... Challenging? The difficulty above Story. Those two difficulties seemed fine with spongeyness, aside from the obvious with bosses and such. Above those two, and I was putting two magazines into a grunt.

This discussion has been closed.