As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i don't recall, do you have to beat any of the dungeons to get the ganon dungeon in the original loz?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i don't recall, do you have to beat any of the dungeons to get the ganon dungeon in the original loz?

005.png

The first room you walk into in Level 9 won't open its doors unless you have all the Triforce pieces.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    If that was a modern game, you'd like stand by the door, face the left flame, jump back while entering three other inputs, jiggle the thumbstick, and clip through the door, "We call this the Door Skip".

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    If that was a modern game, you'd like stand by the door, face the left flame, jump back while entering three other inputs, jiggle the thumbstick, and clip through the door, "We call this the Door Skip".

I mean, a common time saving trick on the NES version is that you can already very easily walk off one side of the overworld screens onto the other. Speedrunners and Randomizer racers especially do it constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3ih61jVVrk

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I've been playing Witcher 3 recently, and that's a game that feels like you have all the tools to deal with anything almost right off the bat...except for one.

I was incredibly lucky that I stumbled almost immediately onto a quest to help a particular witch that resulted in finding an object that breaks down illusions. I.e. rock wall disappears and reveals treasure, in at least one case it was required for a quest. I can't imagine finding that item near endgame and feeling the need to re-explore most of the entire world to get all the stuff I missed.

Traditional lock-and-key backtrack items like Lens of Truth, combined with massive open worlds...they really don't mix well.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Traditional lock-and-key backtrack items like Lens of Truth, combined with massive open worlds...they really don't mix well.

I absolutely disagree. The only thing keeping the two from being compatible is a dev bothering to put in the effort to mesh them decently.

Though certainly not an open-world game the size or flavor of BotW, the first Darksouls game holds one of my best "holy shit, this is a secret?" experiences. After having already beaten the game once, another playthrough has me plumbing the depths of the underside of the castle in (ugh) Blighttown, a bigass poison bog. While down there, I actually decide to explore some this time because I'm not as death-averse as my first playthrough. While poking around, I attack an enemy... which accidentally reveals a hidden wall in an ancient tree. Past that wall is another hidden wall. Past that is what is basically a chunk of this world reaching back to some of it's earliest moments of existence, making it wholly unrecognizable as a place for any kind of human being. Amazing find to me, and literally all it took to find it was the devs sticking an enemy in front of a wall in such a way that attacking the enemy reveals the secret. BotW never had a single moment approaching that for me despite the huge world, because everything to find is just another tedious shrine or, at best, a neat view of a place with a palette-swapped dragon.

As for backtracking, honestly, there's a dead easy solution. Everything that needs something extra to access? Looking at/interacting with it puts it on some layer of map with an icon that relates to whatever you need to resolve that obstacle. Boom. Nothing keeps you from exploring, and you never have to worry about losing track of that spot. Then it's just a matter of quick travel to hop to those spots and clean them up, because you've already been there once.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm replaying Breath of the Wild and I remembered my favorite thing in the entire game.

When you pick up a rock and there's a korok underneath it, then you drop the rock on their head and they make a little oof sound.

That sound is my favorite thing in the game.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm replaying Breath of the Wild and I remembered my favorite thing in the entire game.

When you pick up a rock and there's a korok underneath it, then you drop the rock on their head and they make a little oof sound.

My 4yo daughter's too!
    Edit: no wait, she was 3 when i was playing it.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Korocking never gets old.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Oh it isn't just me.

It's adorable!

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I foolishly booted BotW up to mess around with it the other day, and now it seems like I've started a master mode run. It felt pretty brutal right at the start, but I think it's much easier going now that I'm off the plateau and it's not as cramped. It seems much easier to sneak around enemies and be more judicious about using weapons. Going through 3 branches to not kill the first bokoblin wasn't an auspicious start.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I started a master mode run back after I finished the DLC when it came out, but then I decided I just wasn't enjoying it, so switched back to a normal run more recently to just enjoy the environment more this time around.

I can understand enjoying the challenge, but I'm just not at that level in combat yet. The plateau was definitely the toughest part of the master mode run though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I don't really see the appeal of master mode, silver enemies already felt like they took obnoxiously long to kill.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The plateau is at least absolutely worth playing in master mode. The rest of the game... ehhhh. The hp bloat and regeneration really get in the way of the fun.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I bounced hard off the sword trial DLC. That shit was obnoxiously difficult. My only mistake was getting knocked in the water and that cost me 30 mins of progress. Yeah, fuck that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I bounced hard off the sword trial DLC. That shit was obnoxiously difficult. My only mistake was getting knocked in the water and that cost me 30 mins of progress. Yeah, fuck that.
    You could skip all that and just fight three Blue Hinoxes if you opt for Link to face the alternate trial of defying the laws of physics instead...

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Finally broke down and bought BotW on Switch. I bought it day one on WiiU and absolutely loved everything about it. I cannot believe the visual clarity difference between the Switch and U versions. Probably collected more bladed rhino beetles on the Great Plateau section than I had ever caught in the totality of my time on the U. They are just so much easier to see on the Switch version. Everything is!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I just tried to beat Thunderblight Ganon, and I might be done with master mode.
    Having to beat an enemy that flies around and avoids you is already annoying, but having it regenerate as well is just insult on top of injury. And it seems like it has a harder phase at the end, now when it swoops down you can't even do a non-flurry dodge, he hits you anyway. If I have to do a perfect dodge every single time just to be able to deal damage at all, and have to do multiple in a row to be able to take it out, that might be beyond my abilities.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Finally broke down and bought BotW on Switch. I bought it day one on WiiU and absolutely loved everything about it. I cannot believe the visual clarity difference between the Switch and U versions. Probably collected more bladed rhino beetles on the Great Plateau section than I had ever caught in the totality of my time on the U. They are just so much easier to see on the Switch version. Everything is!

Same line of thinking, I very rarely play Switch in docked mode, had a reason to a few days ago and jumped into BotW and it looks so fucking good. Seems like the framerate jumps up so much.

I'm on the Champions Ballad now. It is much bigger than expected.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BotW is still one of my favorite games, but it definitely screwed up one thing; swimming. Yes, swimming fast is physically demanding, but just normal lazy swimming should not wear you out as quickly as it does in this game. Really feels like they screwed that part up pretty bad.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    BotW is still one of my favorite games, but it definitely screwed up one thing; swimming. Yes, swimming fast is physically demanding, but just normal lazy swimming should not wear you out as quickly as it does in this game. Really feels like they screwed that part up pretty bad.

I suspect they wanted to make water a serious obstacle. Which they suceeded pretty well at! It's just that it came at a cost.

I think if diving was in the game you could tweak things so it felt a bit better. Even with the Zora armor, water never felt like a super dealable with obstacle.

Great way to dispose of just about anything and everything though. Got a problem? Toss it in the water.

If it can swim, then toss electricity in after it.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Why would you ever swim when cryogenesis is right there?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Because some of us like the water!

I'm mainly bitching because one of the shards fell into a lake, and Farosh zapped me mid flight, which resulted in a do or die swimathon to a cliff. And of course it started raining when I got to the cliffs so back into the water I went with no stamina left. IRL I could have just floated my way to the even further off shore, but nope, Link don't lazily backfloat.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I remember when I first came to a river, and was really excited that it had an actual current that I wasn't able to simply swim across and would have to find a bridge or shallow part. That this would be something I'd need to keep in mind during my travels.

It took an embarrassingly long time to realize the cryo rune makes this completely "not a thing".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Revali's Gale minimizes water as well, unless you're already in the damned water.

• Options
    When I started this Champion's Ballad thing, I was close to the Gerudo Desert so went to that first. Just unlocked Urbosa's Fury + and realized I better go hit up Rito Village immediately because Revali's Gale + is gonna be some handy stuff.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Me, the first time i came to a river: it’s ok, i can just swim across real quick it’s not that far

Me, drowning ten feet from the opposite shore a half mile downstream: oh no

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Me, the first time i came to a river: it’s ok, i can just swim across real quick it’s not that far

Me, drowning ten feet from the opposite shore a half mile downstream: oh no

Very accurate to real life rivers

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Cadence of Hyrule is so dang good. It was kicking my ass for so long and then it finally clicked and I became unstoppable.

I've got the 4 key items now, heading to Hyrule Castle, but! I'm still missing 3 Heart Pieces. Are those likely to be in the castle? I've uncovered the whole map, not seeing any pieces left stray.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Minigame hearts from Kakariko, maybe?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Decided to finish up Links Awakening since I left it hanging a while back. I’m in the Eagle Tower and forgotten how much I hate blue/orange switches and all the backtracking design of this dungeon.

I said screw it and opened a guide. One more pillar to go.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    My daughter and me just now:

“Daddy can we play Link?”
    “You mean Zelda?”
    “No, his name is Link. The girl is Zelda.”

I’m so proud of her.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    Minigame hearts from Kakariko, maybe?

I found em - one in Gerudo Town and one in a Lost Woods. Also right before finding the very last one, I found the charm that showed their locations. :tell_me_more:

That final boss was amazing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    For anyone interested, one Mr Brad Shoemaker put about a couple hours into Breath of the Wild streaming yesterday.

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/bradth-of-the-wild-the-wildening/2970-20045

I've only just started watching and it kind of makes me want to start playing again (for what I think would be the sixth or seventh time?).

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
  • Options
    Not even entirely sure how that was able to end up like that.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'll just leave this here ... Spoilered for big
    ak1r4f4jl4xd.png
    Original found here

dipuc4life on
    NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    ak1r4f4jl4xd.png
    Original found here

I take it the next page is nsfw...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    ak1r4f4jl4xd.png
    Original found here

I take it the next page is nsfw...

Oh ... yeah. This page is safe for work. Unless mildly entertaining banter between Zelda and Link about spicy peppers is NSFW ... then stay away. The next page ... whoo boy ... *sweats profusely* ... because of the spicy peppers ... yeah.

dipuc4life on
    NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
This discussion has been closed.