Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Current Librarian Issue:

If a student anywhere in my school district wants a book and I have that book checked-in on a shelf in my library, I will send out that book because that is my job, to get books in the hands of kids to help them form a lifelong love of reading.

Other librarians will regularly request volumes from my manga collection and I will send them out every time. If I make a request to them for a volume of manga, even if it is immediately after they ask me, they refuse because, "they don't lend out their manga."

Fuck that noise. I am legit forming a list and going to my bosses at library services next week before our big department meeting. I never complain about anything but I am fucking livid about this. It is our fucking job and they are fucking failing at it and I will not see it stand. I will burn this mother to the ground if I have to.

/rant

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Has an online meeting from 11-2:45 or so. Since it was online, I was able to get up and leave it at times and not be rude. I know many of the other parties do the same.
    So I got up, went to the restroom, got a refill of water, and thinking it was going to go a lot longer, I went to the little store and got a little refrigerated sammich - think like at a gas station.
    I get back, and the meeting is wrapping up. Everyone was leaving. If I would have known, I would have waited and then I could have gotten a real quality lunch, like Wendy's....

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    To provide a bit more details, we put on a conference to train faculty and staff. Inside said conference are tracks on specific training topics, each of which pay participants to attend and provide the money to pay presenters and training materials (and also food for those who are attending for the 4 day conference). In exchange, those attending have to implement the training into their classrooms with a concrete deliverable (a specific certification we need for the purposes of our office for accreditation).

This guy's office made a track to copy our track for the purposes of having us pay for the presenters, participants, training materials, and concessions while they look like they are the ones running it and get to claim it as their annual reporting. Only thing is, they dont have the deliverable which means all this money will change hands without anything actually being implemented across campus. Because they DONT have the deliverable, all of the faculty who would normally attend our sessions are registering for theirs because its less work for the money they get paid for four half days of hanging around campus between semesters.

The only way we can meet our accreditation goals are to merge the tracks, take up the payments and costs, and (in return for doing so) bait and switch the faculty into needing the deliverable. Which the faculty won't like, and we don't like. But ~we~ will look like the badguys while ~they~ look like the people looking out for the faculty union. Its a garbage play. Done by a garbage person.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the deliverable is the entire reason for attending the training, and the faculty should know that, right? Like it sounds to me like the other track is (or should be) obviously shady (because no deliverable), and anyone who signed up for it should have known better.

Well, for our track. Plenty of tracks have no deliverable (and also have no meaningful benefit to completing usually). We're a special case because we actually report our track to accreditation as part of our initiative.

This may seem naive, but I just honestly don't know: Is there any way for you to spin it? In a way of "Look, I know you signed up for Garbage Joe's track, but it wasn't even complete so you would have missed out on (benefit)/it would have been a waste of time. Thankfully, we're here to make sure you have what you need to succeed, and unlike with Garbage Joe's track, you'll have something to show for it!"

Alternately, if people are pissed that they'll end up needing to do the deliverable... what would be the consequences of telling them about the bait and switch?

Not going into too much detail on this bit, but essentially my office works via goodwill between units. I have limited political capital and very little authority to change or improve things. However we are the most successful office in actually changing and improving things because of how we operate. It's entirely through good will, so yes we will spin it to be an unfortunate misunderstanding between friends, as they know we will, because to do otherwise will sully our good name and success.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    To provide a bit more details, we put on a conference to train faculty and staff. Inside said conference are tracks on specific training topics, each of which pay participants to attend and provide the money to pay presenters and training materials (and also food for those who are attending for the 4 day conference). In exchange, those attending have to implement the training into their classrooms with a concrete deliverable (a specific certification we need for the purposes of our office for accreditation).

This guy's office made a track to copy our track for the purposes of having us pay for the presenters, participants, training materials, and concessions while they look like they are the ones running it and get to claim it as their annual reporting. Only thing is, they dont have the deliverable which means all this money will change hands without anything actually being implemented across campus. Because they DONT have the deliverable, all of the faculty who would normally attend our sessions are registering for theirs because its less work for the money they get paid for four half days of hanging around campus between semesters.

The only way we can meet our accreditation goals are to merge the tracks, take up the payments and costs, and (in return for doing so) bait and switch the faculty into needing the deliverable. Which the faculty won't like, and we don't like. But ~we~ will look like the badguys while ~they~ look like the people looking out for the faculty union. Its a garbage play. Done by a garbage person.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the deliverable is the entire reason for attending the training, and the faculty should know that, right? Like it sounds to me like the other track is (or should be) obviously shady (because no deliverable), and anyone who signed up for it should have known better.

Well, for our track. Plenty of tracks have no deliverable (and also have no meaningful benefit to completing usually). We're a special case because we actually report our track to accreditation as part of our initiative.

This may seem naive, but I just honestly don't know: Is there any way for you to spin it? In a way of "Look, I know you signed up for Garbage Joe's track, but it wasn't even complete so you would have missed out on (benefit)/it would have been a waste of time. Thankfully, we're here to make sure you have what you need to succeed, and unlike with Garbage Joe's track, you'll have something to show for it!"

Alternately, if people are pissed that they'll end up needing to do the deliverable... what would be the consequences of telling them about the bait and switch?

Not going into too much detail on this bit, but essentially my office works via goodwill between units. I have limited political capital and very little authority to change or improve things. However we are the most successful office in actually changing and improving things because of how we operate. It's entirely through good will, so yes we will spin it to be an unfortunate misunderstanding between friends, as they know we will, because to do otherwise will sully our good name and success.

This is how/why you get taken advantage of.
    Just saying.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Oh so our CTO also stopped over late yesterday afternoon with a TV mount, and said that after we get the TV, we could mount it anywhere we want in our area, and we can put whatever we want on it.

Any ideas? :twisted:

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Another 1:1 with my new manager.

It's getting almost embarrassing now. Either the person I replaced was an utterly obnoxious oxygen-thief or my sarcasm detector is malfunctioning, idk?

Anyway, she keeps giving me the kind of work I like doing, and partnering me with the person I most like working with, so if she's being subtly passive-aggressive at my expense, well, it's a price I'll just pay.

Pity she doesn't influence my payscale, but that's life.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Just saying.

He's basically in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation - he can't hit back without hurting himself more than the other guy, thanks to office politics and biases. That said, Enc will remember this, and said garbage person will find him less than interested in helping him in the long run.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Oh so our CTO also stopped over late yesterday afternoon with a TV mount, and said that after we get the TV, we could mount it anywhere we want in our area, and we can put whatever we want on it.

Milkdrop

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Groundhog Day

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Groundhog Day

But only once, of course.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Groundhog Day

Just once though?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It is 80 goddamn degrees in my office.

When the revolution comes, I'm nominating our stupid HVAC computer for the front of the guillotine line.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Dementia, fear of needles and diabetus is not a fun combination.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Just saying.

He's basically in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation - he can't hit back without hurting himself more than the other guy, thanks to office politics and biases. That said, Enc will remember this, and said garbage person will find him less than interested in helping him in the long run.

Clearly the institutional ethics of the situation says that Enc just goes ahead and charges half of all the costs with the seminar to this other unit. When called on it explain loudly that was clearly always the understanding. It wasn't like other unit was intentionally trying to sabotage Enc's unit or something.

Just probably illegal and unethical. The Enc's Institution's way.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Boss: hey MI, would you be upset if I asked you to stay at the office instead of heading into the city for dinner and an escape room with [visiting partner executives]? I just realized there's no other management here because [other manager] is on vacation, and we'll be out until midnight.

Me (externally): ah... Yeah... I guess that's fine. I understand.

Me (internally): OH THANK FUCK I GET TO GO HOME TONIGHT LIKE A NORMAL HUMAN BEING.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, that's like the hardest anyone's ever won an escape room.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Solar wrote: »
    Hauled my shit together earlier

Forced my way to through the call, and the shit afterwards, and now I've gone home. Thank fuck I've got next week off

Get yeself to a pub

I actually made myself a huge bowl of chilli and then sat on the sofa under a duvet watching star trek

IMG-20200226-184805.jpg

As far as coping mechanisms go it ain't too bad

Solar on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Forced my way to through the call, and the shit afterwards, and now I've gone home. Thank fuck I've got next week off

Get yeself to a pub

I actually made myself a huge bowl of chilli and then sat on the sofa under a duvet watching star trek

IMG-20200226-184805.jpg

That looks like a perfect amount of food.

Looks like you have good scoping mechanisms, too.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Which Trek? Out of curiosity. I've finally been watching Discovery.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What a day

Goddamn

I am saying some variation of that every damn day

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My bosses are always asking me to pull extra hours even though my position isn't supposed to end up with overtime. I do it anyways because I'm saving for a trip and like money, usually. It's exhausting because I'm usually here all day anyways, and unless you ask them frequently they never send anyone home early even when it's dead.

I was supposed to have Thurs/Fri off but a coworker has a family emergency and I'm the only one not working Friday already. I told them I'd do it, if they could work out me getting out early one day this week.

Smashcut to today, it's slow as shit and just about no one coming in. I mention to the manager on duty I'm gonna end up with a full shift of OT unless they send me home early today, pretty much. You can already see where this is going... Yea they're conveniently forgetting they would try to cut my hours elsewhere. I asked to be sent home one hour early after giving them 8 hours of my free time. The response?

"Why do you always ask to go home early?"

Idk probably because I work 9-12 hours a day and rarely get my full two days off, just an idea

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    It seems the goal here is pretty clear, looking at our correspondence. His office is short on funds and cant run their own tracks, so they are duplicating ours hoping to folk their list into ours, have us pay for all of the participants and concessions, and have their name on the ticket to get credit with us regulated to a "sponsored by the "Enc's office."

Which... is what will happen. Because we need our participants to do the thing we are training them to do. It's a shitty, shitty thing to do. But it seems run of the mill now. Fuck it all.

Sounds like someone needs a visit from the Phantom Shitter. :D

Now, I'm going to say right up front that it isn't me.
    But, I may know a guy who, for the cost of a plane ticket and a moderately disturbing amount of taco bell may be able to help you out.
    But it definitely isn't me.

How dare you just volunteer chris for this without asking him?

let's be honest, 75% of the forum was volunteered in that post

thumb_t-have-famously-huge-turds-sneeds-seed-and-feed-formerly-51564672.png

The problem is that for this, you don't want turds.

You want something that coats.

I started taking magnesium recently.

And let me tell you, I learned something.

So.... do I wait for the plane ticket, or is will call, or what?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    It seems the goal here is pretty clear, looking at our correspondence. His office is short on funds and cant run their own tracks, so they are duplicating ours hoping to folk their list into ours, have us pay for all of the participants and concessions, and have their name on the ticket to get credit with us regulated to a "sponsored by the "Enc's office."

Which... is what will happen. Because we need our participants to do the thing we are training them to do. It's a shitty, shitty thing to do. But it seems run of the mill now. Fuck it all.

Sounds like someone needs a visit from the Phantom Shitter. :D

Now, I'm going to say right up front that it isn't me.
    But, I may know a guy who, for the cost of a plane ticket and a moderately disturbing amount of taco bell may be able to help you out.
    But it definitely isn't me.

How dare you just volunteer chris for this without asking him?

let's be honest, 75% of the forum was volunteered in that post

thumb_t-have-famously-huge-turds-sneeds-seed-and-feed-formerly-51564672.png

The problem is that for this, you don't want turds.

You want something that coats.

I started taking magnesium recently.

And let me tell you, I learned something.

So.... do I wait for the plane ticket, or is will call, or what?

Are you now a Magnesium-Based Lifeform?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Get yeself to a pub

That is an acceptable alternative.

Anyway I went to the pub on your behalf

• Options
    Hopefully by this time tomorrow I am in the company of some fine Texas BBQ.

• Options
    I had a customer show up super late last night wanting a new phone and data transfer. I told them we need more time to do it all, and to come back the next day.

They showed up the exact same time as yesterday! And didn't get any of the info I requested! And they backed up their photos but Google is listing one photo as different dates in different interfaces so she thinks nothing backed up at all despite it having all her photos...

I'm not leaving on time tonight it seems

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I had a customer show up super late last night wanting a new phone and data transfer. I told them we need more time to do it all, and to come back the next day.

They showed up the exact same time as yesterday! And didn't get any of the info I requested! And they backed up their photos but Google is listing one photo as different dates in different interfaces so she thinks nothing backed up at all despite it having all her photos...

I'm not leaving on time tonight it seems

I'm guessing they're coming over after they get off work. Can't do that on their lunch hour or something.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I get it... But the whole point was for them to get the stuff I asked so it wouldn't take hours

I don't blame them but I did say exactly what I needed and they did 1/3rd of it

Because now they're on hold with T-Mobile at 9pm which is when we close

Excellent

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience working as a night auditor/ working night shift during college?

Yeah whats up? I did overnights for years
    Anyone have any experience working as a night auditor/ working night shift during college?

I worked as a night auditor for a year, but not during college (I was 26)

Yeah I was wondering if it was something you'd recommend.
    Any special life characteristics you think make the late hours work?
    No idea if it would be right for me, other than I'd love some income
    while also taking afternoon classes, and hanging out with friends.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I worked graveyard (11-9) while going to college. It takes a brutal toll on your body. If you're younger, maybe you'll notice it less. I was a returning student and it sucked.

I found the schedule that worked for me was to go to bed around 2pm and wake up at 10pm for an 11pm shift. That meant afternoons were fucked for me and evening classes were absolutely balls. Try going to class at 4am according to your body. It fucking sucks. Morning classes were okay though. But by early afternoon I was done. Didn't end up doing much hanging out due to the schedule.

YMMV. If you can comfortably go to sleep at 9am or whatever, your afternoons and early evenings will be free. But it's going to depend on what you're physically capable of.

I don't recommend graveyard to anybody. It stresses the shit out of your body. But if you need to make ends meet, it'll work. Just try to keep the length of time you're doing it bounded.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for the info Orca. i've never done a night shift, beyond crunching for projects that had deadlines,
    I'm finding myself awake till 4 am. Sleeping through the morning till my afternoon classes, or obligations.
    Getting home at 9 or 10 pm, and killing time instead of sleep.
    Designing Dnd Adventures, Doing Art, Doing Homework. Felt like I might be able to use that energy during that time slot for income

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for the info Orca. i've never done a night shift, beyond crunching for projects that had deadlines

You're welcome. I did it for 5 years. Do yourself a favor and don't do it that long if you have to. For myself, I did it because it was a path to a higher paying position, guaranteed full time, and high probability of 6 days (overtime!). It paid the rent, but it was not fun.

Also keep in mind noise. You can't exactly tell your neighbors to keep it down at 2pm.

Orca on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Realtalk - Does your university have an open door policy? Because, if so? You should legit go straight to the highest office you can easily reach and just ... metaphorically! ... just whip it out and be like, "Look, are you like the others? Or do you actually wanna get some shit fixed around here? Because if you do, here's all the reasons I should be your new best friend."

Seriously

It's better to burn out than to fade away, ya know?

Because tb-fuckin-h, you're really, really passionate about this. And it's pretty clear you understand the problem in a way they nobody above your level cares to.

I say go for it.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

Get yeself to a pub

IMG-20200226-184805.jpg

That looks like a perfect amount of food.

Looks like you have good scoping mechanisms, too.

A wooden spoon, deftly applied!

• Options

Get yeself to a pub

That is an acceptable alternative.

Anyway I went to the pub on your behalf

My hero!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I used to work suuuuper late as a newspaper delivery person. Drive to work at 1 AM in the morning, goal was to finish by 6-7 AM.

I lasted one month because it was annihilating me from the inside (also the paycheck wasn't even enough to cover gas). Even with my current screwed-up sleep schedule it's not a patch on how I was feeling for that month. No amount of sleep restored my energy, I felt like I was constantly weighted down, and my eyes would ache so bad I'd practically feel them throbbing as I drove in the dead of night.

Would not recommend.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I worked 100% nights all summer, and yeah, would not recommend long term. I'm now 30 and in bad shape, so I had very little surplus energy from it. Honestly, it depends on how much you have to do during the night. Hectic ones will just drain you, while calm ones are fine and you get stuff done the next day.

Some people thrive on nights, though, and it works well for them. It's worth trying out to see if it works. Also, the less you're flipping the day, the better. If you can maintain the same sleep schedule for long, it's less stress on your body. Even when I had time off, I would go to bed between 4 and 6 in the morning.

• Options
    Having to get up at 2:30am for a flight, is a game for the young.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Realtalk - Does your university have an open door policy? Because, if so? You should legit go straight to the highest office you can easily reach and just ... metaphorically! ... just whip it out and be like, "Look, are you like the others? Or do you actually wanna get some shit fixed around here? Because if you do, here's all the reasons I should be your new best friend."

Seriously

It's better to burn out than to fade away, ya know?

Because tb-fuckin-h, you're really, really passionate about this. And it's pretty clear you understand the problem in a way they nobody above your level cares to.

I say go for it.

I believe they have an open door policy in that no-one bothered to shut them after management were evicted by the nice blue men in the noisy car.

Like, I can't see anyone in management caring to fix things, as it's all rotten from the top.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Woop, we ended up hiring that junior developer I interviewed a couple of weeks ago.

She's straight out of one of those 12-week intensive programming classes so has no actual developer experience. Had to think real hard about whether someone entirely lacking in practical experience will have a good time since even our shallow end of the pool is a bit deeper than expected, but I got a good enough impression that I'm willing to give it a shot.

This discussion has been closed.