Options

I was supposed to leave my [job] at noon

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm listening to Stuart Russell explain that AI is definitely, certainly, 100% gonna end up killing us and normally I'd find that overblown, but hey, sure, it's been that kind of year.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Application away, it's in fate's hands(read: a faculty and admin committee made up of people I've worked with for years in a good way).

A desperate faculty member might be better qualified than me, but I suspect not.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm listening to Stuart Russell explain that AI is definitely, certainly, 100% gonna end up killing us and normally I'd find that overblown, but hey, sure, it's been that kind of year.

It'll have to get on it, then. My money is on disease/environment/complext human failings getting us first.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    My work just sent out their covid19 flyer. It states that anyone tangentially involved with the disease gets two weeks off.

Unpaid of course

But hey, at least you're not fired, right?

• Options
    In one of the rare cases of sanity*, my institution is stating that if we are shut down due to plague we will be paid and the state will figure out the deficit later on, though we may have to work from home if possible.

*Unless you are hourly (aka adjuncts, most IT, more entry level employees) who will just be unpaid indefinitely. Which... that's a huge population. Still fucking over people, just not everyone I guess.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    My work just sent out their covid19 flyer. It states that anyone tangentially involved with the disease gets two weeks off.

Unpaid of course

Great way to get people to avoid reporting potential contact

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    So the truth/cliche is that I only get sick on my day off, but yesterday was the first time I ever clocked out and immediately threw up.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I hate, Hate, H A T E, working with revenue cycle reports.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    Next month I'm going to my first conference for work. I hate new things and meeting people, but I'm actually kind of excited.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I hate, Hate, H A T E, working with revenue cycle reports.

Ffffff the engineer from the vendor who initially wrote this has an If block nested 5 levels deep, and only the innermost even has a branch. Just use AND you dongus!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    best of luck, Enc. I am crossing fingers for you.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

Unpaid of course

Great way to get people to avoid reporting potential contact

I think people should be able to apply for unemployment for those two weeks, with a whole lot of locational caveats tacked on.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

It'll have to get on it, then. My money is on disease/environment/complext human failings getting us first.

Yeah, come on nic, hurry things up!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Some of us, sure. Most of us, maybe. All of us? Too many edge cases.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    At this point I figure AI can't do much worse than we already are.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

AI is really good at magnifying the fallout from our dumbest ideas.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    How do people deal with feeling just... burnt out and exhausted? Like I have no real complaints about this job. I just feel... really tired.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Got my performance review. All positive feedback, 3% CoL increase, 5% bonus. From talking to other people, seems like it's what almost everybody gets unless you get a promotion. I'll take it but it feels like the company culture doesn't reward people for working hard.

There are also more coronavirus cases popping up in the county where I work and it seems like people are starting to hoard. Hand sanitizer sold out, along with masks, toilet paper, etc. Even on Amazon!

• Options
    "We're generating 1TB of data every hour! That's a huge trove of data that nobody else has!"

dude I could wire up my toilet seat and pull out a couple of terabytes a day, doesn't mean it's data that anyone wants

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    How do people deal with feeling just... burnt out and exhausted? Like I have no real complaints about this job. I just feel... really tired.

Take a sick day.

If that doesn't work, start looking for a new job.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Take a sick day.

I'm already taking Thursday off, yeah. Partially because I have a dentist's appointment, and partially for just a self-care day.

I don't WANT to search for a new job but maybe I should. Ugh. My hope was to at least stay in this position for a year before starting to look elsewhere.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Take a sick day.

I'm already taking Thursday off, yeah. Partially because I have a dentist's appointment, and partially for just a self-care day.

I don't WANT to search for a new job but maybe I should. Ugh. My hope was to at least stay in this position for a year before starting to look elsewhere.

For me it's usually project-dependent, so I know it comes and goes in waves.

I try to spread my things out. My work is very much a "as the job gets done" rather than "clock in clock out" so I'll go a while where I'm in 30 minutes late and leave an hour early every day, but also login on the weekends to take care of a couple hours when people can't bother me.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    "We're generating 1TB of data every hour! That's a huge trove of data that nobody else has!"

dude I could wire up my toilet seat and pull out a couple of terabytes a day, doesn't mean it's data that anyone wants

Hey don't kinkdata shame people.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    "Do you feel that you are a good amabassador for our corporation?"

No. I feel that I show up, I do my work, you pay me money, I go home at the end of the day.

Why do I give two shits about the corporation?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

AI is really good at magnifying the fallout from our dumbest ideas.

We all know if the AI didn't I probably would

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

If Butt = Poop
    run flush.exe
    Log Logs

• Options
    edited March 2020
    "I don't want to diss Pepper, but -" (proceeds to diss Pepper)

(I am very here for this, Pepper is pointless).

edit: now in an autonomous car talk with a Tesla diss. Yesssss, bring on the salt.
    double edit: quote from the MC, "Look I'm just trying to get you to talk shit about Tesla, work with me here!"

tynic on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My last job never got off the ground and I somehow stuck it out 7 years because... healthcare

It’s kind of sad how miserable I was for those 7 years. It feels like a lot of time wasted.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    My career has basically gone nowhere in 8 years, probably because I never graduated college, but I’m well paid so while this place aggravates me, I’m a combination of complacent because of the pay and benefits and worried that my lack of degree is going to haunt me if I look around because a lot of companies route resumes with no degree listed directly in the digital incinerator, even with 17 years of experience under my belt and also above my belt. Mostly above my belt.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    It's spend it or lose it budget time. I've been working on inventory stuff for my school to get a handle on what exactly is even here. I'm still not done, but probably in the 80-90% range, with the things that are left being stuff that's being recycled out or given to other schools anyway. Also the school moved into a district program where every student gets a take-home chromebook for the year, so this meant collapsing down a bunch of labs and other equipment, and using that now unused stuff to replace older stuff in other parts of the school where it would be used. All this prep work means that I'd spent less than 10% of the $85ish,000 that needs to be spent by the end of April.

I've got a list. I've checked it several many times, and I've squeezed an extra 7.5% worth of money out of what I had simply by convincing several teachers to switch from Apple laptops to Dells (1700ish down to 950ish) and even a couple teachers to go to Chromebooks ($300!) for their assigned devices. And this is just my cohort of staff using laptops older than 5 years.

Those savings are going toward Project NO MORE PROJECTORS OR PRINTERS and also let me replace 20 iMacs with 20 iPads, because now that the kids all have Chromebooks, all those iMacs are used for is running 2 or 3 Apps that can't run on the Chromes.

By the end of the week I'll have spent all the moneys and can show how much more we got since we don't have to manage 5 or 8 or however many labs or 4 different kinds of chromebooks spread across 18 carts.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Cross post from corona lite thread
    Funny wrinkle to everything, I'll include some context:

I'm going to Tokyo March 9-19 and have been planning this trip a year. My bosses and coworkers all knew.

An email goes out this morning saying anyone who travels to a Level 2 country from this point on must abstain from work for 14 days straight after returning. So my 11 day trip just turned into a nearly month long forced vacation.

My bosses tried to get me to cancel my trip but the chances of that happening are slim to none, and I'm looking into if they might have to pay me for the forced home stay time

• Options
    New pet peeve:

Me, asking an extremely specific technical question (albeit not work related): “Do you know, if I do X, will Y happen?”

Them, answering with a very subjective reasoning that doesn’t even remotely answer my question: “Oh, you shouldn’t do X...”

It drives me mad.

• Options
    hahaha holy shit (still in the autonomous cars talk)
    "Well of course we're still a nascent technology..." MC: "Sure, only a few people have died."

dead silence

(I laughed)

• Options
    Actually, I’m lying, that’s always been a pet peeve but I reeeeeally wanted to gripe about it today.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    hahaha holy shit (still in the autonomous cars talk)
    "Well of course we're still a nascent technology..." MC: "Sure, only a few people have died."

dead silence

(I laughed)

Was it a single loud “HAH”?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options

I'm going to Tokyo March 9-19 and have been planning this trip a year. My bosses and coworkers all knew.

An email goes out this morning saying anyone who travels to a Level 2 country from this point on must abstain from work for 14 days straight after returning. So my 11 day trip just turned into a nearly month long forced vacation.

My bosses tried to get me to cancel my trip but the chances of that happening are slim to none, and I'm looking into if they might have to pay me for the forced home stay time

Wait, not work from home but literal absence?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    "You've worked for a bunch of car companies. Who's the best boss, Chris Urmson or Elon Musk?"
    "... I think every boss has something to teach you and you can learn from every situation."

I aspire to the level of DGAF of this MC.

tynic on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Wait, not work from home but literal absence?

Yep. There's no way to work from home for my type of job.

• Options
    apparently this talk contains star wars spoilers.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    To be fair, the sequence with Kylo Ren in the self-driving hovercar was pretty integral to the last movie

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.