As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I was supposed to leave my [job] at noon

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    To be fair, the sequence with Kylo Ren in the self-driving hovercar was pretty integral to the last movie
    You're pretty close actually, it's a talk about the challenges of developing safe and compelling trackless rides at Disney parks

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I'm at work way later than anyone usually is because I have an event to go to on this side of town.

I have spooked the HELL out of like three janitors who did not expect me to be here

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Forgot today was a day off so I've been off work for 3 days. I'm 100% going in tomorrow because there is a training class for the mentor/coach stuff and if I miss it I'm out but I honestly still don't feel like going to work.

I'm beginning to think it is a mix of depression, bad sleep (slept really well last night at least) and all of the fucking hobbies I have that are far from finished.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The MC of this 'robot exoticism' panel is not a Yang fan. Me neither, dude. Hi-5.

edit: now I'm watching a bathroom being cleaned in VR. Truly, this is the future our parents dreamed of.

double edit: "What is this going to do for people who are employed to clean bathrooms", good question MC let's see how he flails
    oh we're going with the "same staff can clean MORE bathrooms!" approach. Think there's an upper limit on the quantity of bathrooms available to clean, my dude.

tynic on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    My work just sent out their covid19 flyer. It states that anyone tangentially involved with the disease gets two weeks off.

Unpaid of course

Great way to get people to avoid reporting potential contact

I think people should be able to apply for unemployment for those two weeks, with a whole lot of locational caveats tacked on.

Yeah, I've literally been working overtime through two emergency releases over the last two weeks to put the covid-19 emegency hardship assistance grant in place here. It would have been in place last night but an executive bumped it to Thursday for another priority issue.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I'm kind of making fun of how these people are stumbling around the ethics questions at these panels, but the fact they're even being asked about the political and social ramifications of this stuff is such a big step forward that five years ago I would have found it incredible.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Just finished my only work-related function this week: I volunteered to run the census table at the Department of Libraries' annual legislative day. Which in this case meant putting on professional clothes and standing around for two hours so I could chat to one legislator for two minutes about the census. And she learned nothing of value because she was a census taker in 2010 and not that much has changed.

Sorry, sloth. Sorry, frivolity. You were right, and I won't compromise our project again.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    God I wish there were audience questions at these things though. "We need to increase food production, and we lack agricultural labour. Solution: robots." My dudes if you're gonna make a raw food supply argument can we first talk about soil nutrient levels and desertification, plz

edit: "Well tynic, how would YOU tackle these problems, which (since you're not a plant or soil scientist) you actually know very little about?" "Same way I tackle every problem. Termite robots."

tynic on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The Termitator. It's like a terminator, but termites.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    God I wish there were audience questions at these things though. "We need to increase food production, and we lack agricultural labour. Solution: robots." My dudes if you're gonna make a raw food supply argument can we first talk about soil nutrient levels and desertification, plz

edit: "Well tynic, how would YOU tackle these problems, which (since you're not a plant or soil scientist) you actually know very little about?" "Same way I tackle every problem. Termite robots."

This is also only really true for labour-intensive crops, too. Cereals don't need an army of robots to harvest, GPS-enabled combines already remove a lot of labour anyways

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sounds more like a murderous cyborg potato.

Which, as it turns out, I'm equally in the market for.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

It's made out of termites but it is powered by potatoes.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

It's made out of termites but it is powered by potatoes.

But then they decided everything is potatoes.

You've doomed us to hiding from hordes of robo termites building termite mounds out of our flesh.

THANKS Tynic

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I've always wanted to be a mound. Thanks, Tynic.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Huh. One of my senators actually responded to the letter I sent about the whites house wanting to cut federal library funds. They seemed to be very much in favor of libraries and against the White House cut, which, they are a hardcore republican so I’ll believe that support when I see the voting results I guess.

Still better than my other senator and congressman who didn’t even try to respond.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    How do people deal with feeling just... burnt out and exhausted? Like I have no real complaints about this job. I just feel... really tired.

I mean... you know how unhappy I have been but hey it was always a choice between being homeless or actually having a place to live, and that sufficed as a reason to haul my ass to work.

I dealt with it because there was no alternative, basically.

Are people supposed to not feel continually burnt out and exhausted because uh

any time I take a vacation it’s like ‘ooooh so this is what happiness is’ and then the remaining 51 weeks of the year it’s back to surviving

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ideally? You should not feel that way.

In our capitalistic hellscape? You have to be fairly lucky to get into a job where you don't feel that way.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    How do people deal with feeling just... burnt out and exhausted? Like I have no real complaints about this job. I just feel... really tired.

I mean... you know how unhappy I have been but hey it was always a choice between being homeless or actually having a place to live, and that sufficed as a reason to haul my ass to work.

any time I take a vacation it’s like ‘ooooh so this is what happiness is’ and then the remaining 51 weeks of the year it’s back to surviving

The boomers sure make it sound like it's an option but I've never worked with anyone that didn't eventually just get tired or bored with their job. Nothing stays exciting forever, but it's weighing two shitty things against eachother.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »

The boomers sure make it sound like it's an option but I've never worked with anyone that didn't eventually just get tired or bored with their job. Nothing stays exciting forever, but it's weighing two shitty things against eachother.

My job is probably about as good as it gets for me personally, and librarianship consistently ranks among the highest professions for job satisfaction.

But yeah. I don't want to go to work more often than not, just about every single day between 2 and 5 is a wasteland, and I covet my vacation days like precious gemstones.

Pretty much the reason people give you money to do a thing is because if they weren't giving you money, you'd be doing something else. Otherwise they'd just ask.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    God the Azure platform is just trash. I'm just trying to add a scope to an already registered app and it won't load the form that lets me add them, whilst telling me that I may have a degraded experience because my browser has failed to get a token

Even finding the page where I could try to add the scope took a Google search. Just let me do my job, Microsoft! Stop fighting me!

Just keep repeating to yourself, "at least we're not on Oracle"

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

This is also only really true for labour-intensive crops, too. Cereals don't need an army of robots to harvest, GPS-enabled combines already remove a lot of labour anyways

uhhh you don't get robots to farm the crops

you make robot crops

duh

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    ROBOCROP?!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

you make robot crops

duh

Legumedom Wing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Sorghum Crisis

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So I didn't win the big prize at my company meeting today which sort of stings. Fortunately I'll be able to have them treat me to fried chicken and beer tomorrow night in Boston so I'll pretend we're even.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think 4 day work weeks would go a long way in helping with the burnout.

I had a period where I was putting in extra time at work, I banked it as lieu hours. Each week I took an extra day off, normally friday.

That went on for 6 months and I was much happier, I'd love to be able to adopt that permanently. The only other thing that works for me is changing roles.

After 2 years I start to go mental. Crazy to think some folks did the same job for 45 years.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yeah, a three day weekend would be great! Right now it feels like it’s one day to clean the house, one day to socialize or relax, but not both.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm jealous of people at companies/countries where they are testing the 4 day work week.

One day...one day we'll get there

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Cross post from corona lite thread
    Funny wrinkle to everything, I'll include some context:

I'm going to Tokyo March 9-19 and have been planning this trip a year. My bosses and coworkers all knew.

An email goes out this morning saying anyone who travels to a Level 2 country from this point on must abstain from work for 14 days straight after returning. So my 11 day trip just turned into a nearly month long forced vacation.

My bosses tried to get me to cancel my trip but the chances of that happening are slim to none, and I'm looking into if they might have to pay me for the forced home stay time

Wait, not work from home but literal absence?

Yep. There's no way to work from home for my type of job.

Ah. Welp, cool! As odd as that response may be to a forced quarantine.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

you make robot crops

duh

this barley makes any sense

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm taking part in a course on leadership and decision making. Intense, every day all week for 3 hours at night, same thing next week, then two weeks off, then a final week of it.

It's with a very big name person that people here would recognize teaching it.

I'm so fucking tired

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

I try to evaluate what I'm doing outside of work to make sure I'm not doing something that compounds regular work stress. Am I getting more than 6 hours sleep, am I getting outside at noonish for 10-15 minutes, am I getting regularly dedicated exercise time multiple times a week (even if this is just 20 minutes of walking at a brisk pace), things like that.

If I'm already doing that than I know it's time to make a change. That change may be moving to a different project or something more drastic like finding a new job. I know you've got the horrendous Tacoma-Seattle commute which exacerbates the lack of time plus all the requisite parent duties which doesn't make of this easy.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah I'm jealous of people at companies/countries where they are testing the 4 day work week.

One day...one day we'll get there

By force

you make robot crops

duh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9zzHnRYxtc
    Aerofarming can use meh and grey water to farm inside a building with no soil so a lot of crops can be raised that way without using more land just the push back against it is odd
    There is 3 drones at work to clean, a floor mopping drone, a flying stock check robot and one monolith looking stocker robot
    It's fun to watch people freak out about them. It is with abject glee I welcome the working robots and coming job apoc. I know we are ill prepared for it since it's on the horizon and coming soon

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I'm listening to Stuart Russell explain that AI is definitely, certainly, 100% gonna end up killing us and normally I'd find that overblown, but hey, sure, it's been that kind of year.

If AI kills us it's going to end up being a ML algorithm that's doing something seemingly trivial and mundane but is actually incredibly important in the grand scheme of species survival and that algorithm is going to fail in a spectacular cascading fashion that can only be achieved by a computer ruthlessly running down it's machine code and this catastrophic fail state can only reached by a ML algorithm logically reaching an absurd conclusion from sensible data because it was trained on an insufficiently robust data set but no one knew before the all consuming fail state was reached since the why of a ML decision is an unknowable black box of chaos.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel a wild AI is both a curious thing and sadly will be hunted down to find out why it came to be
    AI we created on the other hand I feel will not kill us but will kill

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Enc wrote: »
    I'm listening to Stuart Russell explain that AI is definitely, certainly, 100% gonna end up killing us and normally I'd find that overblown, but hey, sure, it's been that kind of year.

It'll have to get on it, then. My money is on disease/environment/complext human failings getting us first.

Like most of those aren't the result of an AI guiding events to both produce itself a robotic work force and mostly destroy humanity along the way

Sleep on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Looking at the destruction of people’s lives with glee is a bad look, even if the tech is cool and exciting.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    God the Azure platform is just trash. I'm just trying to add a scope to an already registered app and it won't load the form that lets me add them, whilst telling me that I may have a degraded experience because my browser has failed to get a token

Even finding the page where I could try to add the scope took a Google search. Just let me do my job, Microsoft! Stop fighting me!

Just keep repeating to yourself, "at least we're not on Oracle"

The worst part is we're not even "on" Azure. This is just me trying to get scopes enabled for Bing Ads OAuth so we can allow users to pull data into our app

What previously was a simple form that you filled out is now this multi-step process through the same Azure Portal that's used to spin up servers

I can't even file a support ticket because we have no support contract. We have no support contract because all we need is a "yes, this app that has been working for the past 3 years can continue to work with a new scope"

I've taken to filling out the "feedback" request that pops up every time. It's painful

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Mad at another team. A piece of software they wrote is broken when I try to access a memory pointer in a way that is valid. When I point out that it’s broken, they provide a patch/fix linking a data region (RAM) into a device/peripheral region (not RAM!).

Like, fuck, don’t play this “move shit around until it stops asserting” game with me brujo. Ain’t no one have time for that.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    "We're generating 1TB of data every hour! That's a huge trove of data that nobody else has!"

dude I could wire up my toilet seat and pull out a couple of terabytes a day, doesn't mean it's data that anyone wants

If Butt = Poop
    run flush.exe
    Log Logs

Back when my IBS was way worse I had a spreadsheet for keeping track of pooping, as a part of the CBT I did. I called it the Log Log.

This discussion has been closed.