Options

PC Games - Ancient Enemy & GameDev Beatdown out today!

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    signature.png

ALL REVIEWS: Very Positive (242)
    Steam Page wrote:
    Nominated as a IGF Seamus McNally Finalist, NightSky is an ambient action-puzzle game that offers a gameplay experience unlike any other—cerebral challenges fill uniquely designed picturesque worlds. The player must maneuver a sphere by using realistic physics to advance; each of these worlds is broken into different areas. The original soundtrack by experimental jazz musician, Chris Schlarb will further heighten the surreal experience.

Key features:
    • 2D platform/puzzle-based gameplay
    • Advanced 2D physics model
    • Multiple difficulties with unique topography
    • 11 massive levels, each with expansive areas to explore
    • Multiple “vehicles” each with specific uses and dynamics physics
    • Additional secrets and unlockables

This is open the the PA Adventure Team group as before because I don't know how to restrict this to fewer than "Everyone" or "an existing group to which I already belong".

And another one. Both this and Nightsky may have been claimed (but I don't think so). I will work with the winner to find something else in my catalogue of unclaimed games to make sure they are properly rewarded.

signature.png

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I had no idea that many people still fucked with Terraria.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Big ups to Source SDK Base 2007, top 20 game 13 years running.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

This is a weird thing to point out. Game released on a smaller platform doesn't sell as well as games released on a much bigger platform? That needed a tweet?

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Big ups to Source SDK Base 2007, top 20 game 13 years running.

It's what's used to run super modded GTA 5 servers like flying cars and stuff

It's hilarious

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

This is a weird thing to point out. Game released on a smaller platform doesn't sell as well as games released on a much bigger platform? That needed a tweet?

taking twitter as a whole, easily 99% of tweets are, at a minimum, less needed than this

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Considering Alyx just released two hours ago and requires VR to play, just sitting outside the top 20 is pretty impressive.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'm sure the numbers are good for a VR game. It's just weird to see those numbers for a new Half-Life game

new Half-Life game feels weird to say

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I feel like the goal of HL:Alyx is less to sell copies of HL:Alyx and more to sell VR systems?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    not the optimal time for that goal unfortunately

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    https://www.giantbomb.com/chat/?autoplay=1

Apparently Giantbomb (Jeff) is live streaming the game now if anyone is interested

Peas on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Yo Alyx is good. Virtual Desktop wireless from an Oculus Quest technically worked but not at all ideal. Luckily I borrowed the VR sets from school and have those plugged into my computer instead. They are HP Windows Mixed Reality sets for those interested.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Also I am a wuss at anything horror this is very HL style and not really scary. At least not yet. About two hours in now.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Since Doom dumped my ass, I have time to figure out how to mount these VR sensors without drilling holes into the damn walls.

Get yourself some command strips (double check the weight of the sensors first); they are super easy to use and can be removed without damaging the walls.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards this. I heard the vibrations from the sensors could be a concern, but it'll probably do until/if I decide on something sturdier.

3 command strips each has held mine up since last summer with no issues.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I tried watching Alyx streams but the motion sickness is real.

1dq82n.jpg

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    https://www.giantbomb.com/chat/?autoplay=1

Apparently Giantbomb (Jeff) is live streaming the game now if anyone is interested

You know, in this, our Year Of Perfect Vision, you'd think companies would remember to playtest for colorblindness.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

taking twitter as a whole, easily 99% of tweets are, at a minimum, less needed than this

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I have solved my "what shall I do for the next I don't know how long" by buying Witcher:The Third

Bonus! It should stop me dropping cash on DOOM for a bit.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The thing with VR for me is that accessibility issues aside, there has never once been a time in my life when I've thought "oh boy time to relax and play a game, but first I need to strap a giant thing to my face." It's the opposite of what I'm going for!

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    The thing with VR for me is that accessibility issues aside, there has never once been a time in my life when I've thought "oh boy time to relax and play a game, but first I need to strap a giant thing to my face." It's the opposite of what I'm going for!

Sleep apnea really turned me around on that.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

I really wish I could find my missing link cable because the Oculus Quest is far more comfortable than this HP set. Also I think the quest controllers were letting me have more hand fidelity than these other sets.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    not the optimal time for that goal unfortunately
    Valve Index's are selling as fast as Valve can make them. They even got onto the top of the Steam Weekly Charts last week. Which is crazy for a thousand dollar device. There is a huge demand for VR at the moment due to Alyx/more people being shut in at home.
    edit- waaaaait a minute. "*Steam chart based on revenue rather than units." That explains that.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Looking at Jeff's play through for a while I guess I am also kinda bummed out by the limitations of the game, especially when the physics of melee and thrown stuff doesn't work on various objects and enemies, it's really immersion breaking.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    how big is the quality drop off between the first generation rift and the quest

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

There was a lot of "this will sell tons of VR headsets" from VR boosters with unrealistic expectations

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I played two hours of Alyx and so far I think it's super cool. Haven't fought any Combine yet, just headcrabs and zombies.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    @MuddBudd I think we might have our factories in the same spot?

There's like three pure iron nodes on the cliff, and it overlooks a bunch of oil and coal right?

Western end of the canyon where it hits the river, right? It's become one my favorite spots because of those iron nodes, pure copper nodes also right there, and pure limestone on the pillar there (you can see it in my screenshot). Plus a pure coal node just to the west, with more normal coal nodes on the other side of the river, and yes, a few oil nodes on the other side of the canyon. There's also Sulfur and Caterite to the south down in the foresty area.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    how big is the quality drop off between the first generation rift and the quest

I'm not sure about the displays or tracking, but in terms of power for something like Alyx it shouldn't really matter. It's not available as a Quest app, so you'd have to play it through a gaming PC with Oculus Link (and a long ass USB 3.0 cable) and at that point it should be basically the same as the Rift because the Quest is just a display and your computer's doing all the work.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    that seems like a weird comparison
    Couscous wrote: »

There was a lot of "this will sell tons of VR headsets" from VR boosters with unrealistic expectations

It is selling a ton of headsets, though. The Index restock was sold out within minutes of it going live.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think this will absolutely move headsets (and already is).

The question is, will it continue to do so in a month, or will VR remain super niche.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Between the expense and the nausea and the "must strap large thing to face" aspects of VR I see no plausible avenue for it ever not being super niche

Unless at some point it is no longer expensive or makes you barf or obliges the strapping of a large thing to your face

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've never tried one but I very much suspect it would make me barf immediately

just seeing a lot of z-axis rotation on a screen will make me sick

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The real question is whether you say niche in a way that rhymes with itch or quiche.

• Options
    I am okay on nausea but historically I dont like strapping large things to my face

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I can't even imagine paying $1000 for a VR headset. I paid a friend $150 for his headset and I still feel ripped off. I haven't even plugged it in in over a year. I may be more liable to play it if it was wireless, but the cables are heavy and obnoxious and get in the way constantly. But even still, Alyx looks like the first VR game that I would like to continue playing for longer than an hour.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    If you're saying quiche like quitch you need to tighten up the facade, body snatcher

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I get motion sick pretty easily, especially since going on blood pressure medication, but surprisingly I'm A-OK in VR. I was actually a wee bit shocked. The only times I've gotten wiggy was once in Doom VFR where I was running around like a loon, and in a Spider-Man where I got a big disconnect between the swinging back and forth. (Was still awesome).

Even then, it was more of a case of "I should sit down for this" rather than "I have to stop playing." Granted I have an index and a beefy rig, so that might help a bunch.
    I am okay on nausea but historically I dont like strapping large things to my face

Again, it might just be the headset I got, but I haven't had any issues with that part of the experience. (Aside from being unable to scratch my nose. It's maddening!)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Unless by "no issues with the experience" you mean that you dont have to strap a large thing to your face then my issue continues to be experienced

This discussion has been closed.