Options

PC Games - Ancient Enemy & GameDev Beatdown out today!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    K, sorry for sharing my experiences with the matter. I didn't realize it was all about you. :wink:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    If you're saying quiche like quitch you need to tighten up the facade, body snatcher

I'm more unsettled by the idea of someone saying itch like iche, personally

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If youre looking for a good time do not quote me

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Unless by "no issues with the experience" you mean that you dont have to strap a large thing to your face then my issue continues to be experienced

wzvb3beyqy2k.png
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-vr-headset-augmented-project

If you're not willing to permanently graft this shit to your face then maybe you're not Hardcore enough to call yourself a Gamer

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think this will absolutely move headsets (and already is).

The question is, will it continue to do so in a month, or will VR remain super niche.

I mean, super niche is just a weird way to describe it at this point? VR gets about as many big, releases for it's specific hardware as the Switch will in a year. I don't think it'll ever replace a good PC/KBAM for me in the same way my Switch or phone won't replace PC as where I like to play but it does it stuff well and has enough of a base to get decent games every few months.

Also Half Life Alyx 100% just goes in on how most people aren't as co-ordinated as a video game protagonist and makes itself a survival horror game. At least for the first few hours.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I can't even imagine paying $1000 for a VR headset. I paid a friend $150 for his headset and I still feel ripped off. I haven't even plugged it in in over a year. I may be more liable to play it if it was wireless, but the cables are heavy and obnoxious and get in the way constantly. But even still, Alyx looks like the first VR game that I would like to continue playing for longer than an hour.

I don't know if I'd enjoy my Quest nearly as much if I had to deal with all the sensors and junk, but a headset that is entirely self contained, plus the controllers? Pretty damn rad so far, and being able to take it places without lugging my whole PC along is a major plus as well - I was able to let a bunch of my family try VR for the first time over Christmas.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Giving up lighthouses was a huge first step. I look forward to getting rid of the cords as well. I can still manage to get tangled up in Beat Saber and other swingy games.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Unless by "no issues with the experience" you mean that you dont have to strap a large thing to your face then my issue continues to be experienced

wzvb3beyqy2k.png
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-vr-headset-augmented-project

If you're not willing to permanently graft this shit to your face then maybe you're not Hardcore enough to call yourself a Gamer

Is that a Warframe prototype in the works

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah as someone with an Index, the Quest route is definitely the right direction VR needs to go if it's ever gonna turn into a really common consumer thing. I love the quality and tracking with the Index and full setup but it's a hefty ask.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Alyx Update:

Switched the movement to continuous. This makes it behave like an FPS with direct movement tied to the left thumb stick. You basically move forward based on the direction you are looking.

1. This is way harder.
    2. This is the thing that causes motion sickness and I was a little unsteady doing it.
    3. This is a wayyyy cooler way to play.

If you try this, definitely limit your playtime to shorter chunks, which is easily possible since the game is broken up into little sections.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Yeah as someone with an Index, the Quest route is definitely the right direction VR needs to go if it's ever gonna turn into a really common consumer thing. I love the quality and tracking with the Index and full setup but it's a hefty ask.
    I cannot wait for the fusion of high quality Vive/Index and Quest style tracking.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Alyx Update:

Switched the movement to continuous. This makes it behave like an FPS with direct movement tied to the left thumb stick. You basically move forward based on the direction you are looking.

1. This is way harder.
    2. This is the thing that causes motion sickness and I was a little unsteady doing it.

If you try this, definitely limit your playtime to shorter chunks, which is easily possible since the game is broken up into little sections.

Somehow I have zero issues with motion sickness in VR. Instead my issue with long sessions is that I get sweaty.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Another hurdle in VR adoption is space

I live in a studio apartment. VR ain't happening.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jesus christ zero out of ten this is a SLAP IN THE FACE VALVE

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I will also say, I attempted to hit a headcrab with the same thing Jeff used and it didn’t do anything.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I recognize that tags can be added by mass submission from users, but

j6dvxajmc6p8.jpg

come on now

• Options
    Oh Doom: Eternal has it too, is this just what we're doing on games that are popular now? is this memes?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    "Masterpiece" is used by people who are authentically that in love with a game, but it's also widely used sarcastically on, for example, hentai shovelware.

This being the internet, it can be hard to tell where the line is.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It’s a real Citizen Kane, it is

• Options
    I'm not even saying the game isn't a masterpiece, but day of release seems soon to make that determination!

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    It’s a real Citizen Kane, it is

But it's no Metroid Prime.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Another hurdle in VR adoption is space

I live in a studio apartment. VR ain't happening.

Thankfully there are seated and standing settings that are on far smaller play pen sizes.

Anything that is room scale only is a no go.

I want to love you GORN but my hands can only handle punching into things so many times.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My main VR hurdles are I'm too lazy to set shit up and I don't wanna put stuff on my sweaty face

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It would be nice if there could be a way to play just on screen, but with the handsets, but figuring that out would probably be impossible.

• Options
    Okay guys. Alyx Update.

I tried Virtual Desktop again on my Oculus Quest. This time it worked flawlessly with Half-Life Alyx. Not only that but I was right and the Oculus controls are way more advanced than the WMR controllers and different buttons were registering as finger movements for Alyx in game. Also the continuous movement felt way better since I think the refresh rate it better on the Quest display even when it is feeding wirelessly from my PC.

Overall the entire experience was better so maybe my initial issue was just because it was the first time running the game.

Also in the game I got to a part with grenades and came up with a whole new strategy I've not seen.
    You can only store one non-ammo/non-upgrade material on you via your wrist strap thing. I finished an area and there were a bunch of extra grenades left over. So I look around and find a metal bucket and proceed to carry that bucket around in my left hand and just put all the grenades I find into the bucket.

I then get into a fight and just start grabbing grenades out of the bucket with my right hand and lobbing them at the combine.

It made me feel really smart in the ways of Half-life 2 when you solve a physics puzzle in a way other than the way the game wants you to.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    The real question is whether you say niche in a way that rhymes with itch or quiche.

Rhymes with how Sean Connery would say “nice”

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    It's definitely weird that you can't hit stuff with a metal pipe. You can, however, put a construction hat on your head, as a defense against barnacles. 10/10.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Alyx Update:

1. This is way harder.

Somehow I have zero issues with motion sickness in VR. Instead my issue with long sessions is that I get sweaty.

Yeah I won't even play the game if it only has tele movement. Breaks the immersion for me.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to move just when you want to? Because continuous seems like a nightmare when you want to look at something

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Is there a way to move just when you want to? Because continuous seems like a nightmare when you want to look at something

Continuous is just normal control stick movement, it's a weird name.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Okay guys. Alyx Update.

I tried Virtual Desktop again on my Oculus Quest. This time it worked flawlessly with Half-Life Alyx. Not only that but I was right and the Oculus controls are way more advanced than the WMR controllers and different buttons were registering as finger movements for Alyx in game. Also the continuous movement felt way better since I think the refresh rate it better on the Quest display even when it is feeding wirelessly from my PC.

Overall the entire experience was better so maybe my initial issue was just because it was the first time running the game.

Also in the game I got to a part with grenades and came up with a whole new strategy I've not seen.
    You can only store one non-ammo/non-upgrade material on you via your wrist strap thing. I finished an area and there were a bunch of extra grenades left over. So I look around and find a metal bucket and proceed to carry that bucket around in my left hand and just put all the grenades I find into the bucket.

I then get into a fight and just start grabbing grenades out of the bucket with my right hand and lobbing them at the combine.

It made me feel really smart in the ways of Half-life 2 when you solve a physics puzzle in a way other than the way the game wants you to.

Fuck, that's way smarter than what I did.
    I just walked around holding a grenade in each hand.

Also, you have a wrist pocket on both hands, so you can store both a grenade and a syringe.

• Options
    Fuck's sake, Cyberpunk 2077 has the Masterpiece tag.

THE GAME WON'T BE OUT FOR 6 MONTHS

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    i wish i could play vr games without instantly puking

edit: wonderful totp this

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

It's a masterpiece of waiting

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020

"CDPR good, praise Geraldo"

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Continuous is just normal control stick movement, it's a weird name.

Oh. Yeah, that's what I would want.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    it's continuous compared to the VR teleport movement

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I checked to see whether any of the Bubsy games have the Masterpiece tag but it's only Psychological Horror

Also Bubsy Goes Fourth has only 25 reviews which makes me think it probably flopped

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man,

Setting up everything for manufacturers is DAMNED time consuming. building up my entire iron manufacturing back up from scratch has been a challenge for sure. Slowly but surely. I just got frames production up and running at the right ratio. All that needs to be done is to run my encased beams to the manufacturer and I'll be set. Then on to computers.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.