As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Yeah, it actually seems more like something out of The Fifth Element rather than anything already established in 40k lore. Not that that’s a bad thing; such artefacts and phenomena as are already described are known to be the very tippy tip top of the vast and dark iceberg of Weird Shit going down in 40k on a regular basis…

Clearly chaos, but perhaps the specific kind of chaos that has killed a Xenos race in the past. Or maybe an old human civilisation.
    Something formed from the fearful cries of a people who were on the cusp of annihilation and were willing to accept help from wherever it came at any cost - or the fallout from that promise, with it's great work cut short moments before completion, after the damned cheat it of its reward by their own extinction.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    God damn that is red hot.
    Any ideas what the orb thing is? A.I.? Chaos? C'tan? Old One? Something else?!
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    What was with the unfinished giant gold statue/robot with the wires sticking out? That didn't look like any kind of Eldar. Almost wondered if it was meant to be Dark Age of Technology enemies (Men of Gold/Stone/Iron?) until the warp-stuff with the Sphere.

...Michal Crichton cross-over?
    21069575.gif

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    What was with the unfinished giant gold statue/robot with the wires sticking out? That didn't look like any kind of Eldar. Almost wondered if it was meant to be Dark Age of Technology enemies (Men of Iron?) until the warp-stuff with the Sphere.

21069575.gif

I thought of another thing!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Astartes is cool as hell
    once the inquisitor gets possessed, i love how quickly they put him down. Just straight up that dude got fucked up

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    What was with the unfinished giant gold statue/robot with the wires sticking out? That didn't look like any kind of Eldar. Almost wondered if it was meant to be Dark Age of Technology enemies (Men of Iron?) until the warp-stuff with the Sphere.

21069575.gif

That article doesn't mention it, but I thought there was a connection between the Umbra and the entity the Hrud worship?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    In the se++ thread someone mentioned the
    tuchulcha and that certainly seems similar
    https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tuchulcha
    Also men of gold are also mentioned in some older background.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    honovere wrote: »
    In the se++ thread someone mentioned the
    tuchulcha and that certainly seems similar
    https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tuchulcha
    Also men of gold are also mentioned in some older background.

Part of the Dark Age of Technology background from the 3rd edition, IIRC. The Men of Gold unified earth, created the Men of Stone to colonize space for them, were then usurped in power by their creations, only for the Men of Stone to make the same mistake by creating the Men of Iron who then revolted in the Cyber Rebellions. Or something like that.

It's tertiary sources (someone who worked with GW quoting one of the long-term writers) but I have read that the idea was that:
    1. Gold were engineered superhumans like the later Thunder Warriors, Custodes, and Astartes (but something went horribly right)
    2. Stone were sorta like nuBattlestar's Cylons (lifelike in structure, but made of synthetic materials; specifically the stone here referred to silicon)
    3. Iron were straight-up intelligent robots

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    For the curious, here's a fan transcript of the two orbs talking to each other (one, bound on the Inquisitor ship, and the other on the Heretic ship)
    Starting at 4:05

1: who is here? I have failed

2: Brother we have all failed.

1:The astartes (defy/defile) our (talents/tennets). You must return, break your (seal/shield)

2: we must not, we will never survive.

1: you must take the other (referring to the inquisitor agent? This sets off the agent to warn the marines that he's been discovered listening in)

Then the inquisitor agent gets possessed following what sounds like "Become us"

Also good little tidbits I saw during rewatches
    -Surrounding the "Iron Man" there's loads of floating heads and spinal columns that look like the twin-psykers from earlier.
    -6:14 The five marines can be seen tethered to whatever the heck this entity is. It's got spidery legs and tentacles. It then get's hit by a shadowy blast (similar effect to the inquisitorial agent's black-smoke-psychic hands) and hurt/killed
    -6:53 timed to the drumbeats, you can see each of the other marines get teleported onto the pillars in the background (the sergeant is also standing on a pillar, not on the ground). Those skeletons are hecking big.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/FGKfO3ufueY

I might start seeing if I can get at least some KT going this way. I am getting sad not rolling dice.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I might start seeing if I can get at least some KT going this way. I am getting sad not rolling dice.

You're in luck. It's on sale this weekend.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options

Oh I own TTS already. Just finding the pieces can take time.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

21069575.gif

That article doesn't mention it, but I thought there was a connection between the Umbra and the entity the Hrud worship?

Maybe! The Umbra art (and art from the Hrud page) are from that awesome Xenology lorebook, and there are a few hints at a connection. I guess the Umbra might also be connected to the Old Ones?

In fact, I think that's my favorite theory.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

My vote is C'Tan, but it's just as likely to be random archeotech

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Is that $.99 audiobook deal still going on? Any recommendations? I like Dark Angels, and I’d like to know more about any current lore. My coworker tells me I need to dive into the Horus Heresy, but I’m intimidated by the fact that there’s like a million books in that series.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    Someone suggested the https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Yu'Vath, who I'd never heard of but I guess they're in the Dark Heresy RPG? Their lore is actually really cool and would fit with a lot of the details in those videos, like the weird spine things on the two dudes being some kind of warp-tainted artefacts.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    BelfastBelfast Penguins PenguinsRegistered User regular
    Is that $.99 audiobook deal still going on? Any recommendations? I like Dark Angels, and I’d like to know more about any current lore. My coworker tells me I need to dive into the Horus Heresy, but I’m intimidated by the fact that there’s like a million books in that series.

It's a different book each week. This week is the unabridged (I think; it's about 16 hours long) audio version of Age of Sigmar: Soul Wars.

aka "Mr Gold-in-Bean-Field"
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

Oh I own TTS already. Just finding the pieces can take time.

PM me if you want to get TTS squared away!

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Ephrael Stern and Pariah models are coming

Fucking yes

• Options
    Deathwatch and Harli get their PA rules in White Dwarf.

I am very disappointed.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular

I am very disappointed.

Given that once upon a time those two armies had their own box set, you'd think they'd have enough material for them to get their own book.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options

I am very disappointed.

There's a chance that the first in-game Harlequin special character can't actually be fielded by Harlequins as well.

Kind of a kick in the teeth to Harlequins and Deathwatch all round.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular

I am very disappointed.

I'm happy just because it means I don't have to wait for two more books to come out.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

I am very disappointed.

Given that once upon a time those two armies had their own box set, you'd think they'd have enough material for them to get their own book.

I reckon they don't want to do Deathwatch ahead of 9th ed and the new primaris vehicles.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

My vote is C'Tan, but it's just as likely to be random archeotech

Assuming it is, the beauty of 40k is that some guy can come up with his own chapter and iconography and antagonists and lore and eldritch horrors completely from scratch if he wants to, and it can all fit in perfectly with the established universe.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Yeah seems like he just made up this enemy using bits and pieces of existing ones. Surely he was inspired by existing antagonists but didn't use any.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I’m ok if it turns out to be “XYZ xenos as briefly mention on page 57 of book whatever” but i hope its an original concept. Makes the universe feel much bigger

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Ephrael Stern and Pariah models are coming

Fucking yes

Listen man, you can't just say these things and not post pics

cxNoJPc.jpg

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Pariah nominated for worst haircut in 40k.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I think he looks ok, but Super Saiyan Ephrael Stern definitely steals the show.

• Options
    I can't wait to buy them when they get released in nine months.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I can't wait to buy them when they get released in nine months.

I have been making fun of the fact I set up a general budget for the next two months back in Feb. I had to toss most of it because of what is going on

• Options
    Ok, between an actual Sisters of Battle Rhino kit and a "used" out of print Forge World Sororitas side doors and front panel kit from Ebay I am pretty sure I have enough doors and decorative bits to make three Sisters Rhinos.

Which is good, because holy crap $60 for a sisters Rhino (which is 2/3 of the normal Rhino kit plus a tiny upgrade frame) is absolutely nuts.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    GeeDub’s gotta eat too ya know. Between their prices and what they pay their employees I’m guessing their diet consists of only the finest unicorn steaks.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    GeeDub’s gotta eat too ya know. Between their prices and what they pay their employees I’m guessing their diet consists of only the finest unicorn steaks.

Apparently if you invested in the ol' GeeDub in January of 2016 and sold your shares in January of this year, you would have decupled your initial investment. That's 1000%. That's a lot.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

Apparently if you invested in the ol' GeeDub in January of 2016 and sold your shares in January of this year, you would have decupled your initial investment. That's 1000%. That's a lot.

Their stock has done so well that they turned around and gave something to the tune of $3000 to every employee I think last year? Like, even the lowest level store workers. That's crazy.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    That’s great that they showed their workers some love, but I’m trying to introduce new people to the hobby. Paying $35-60 for entry* into Kill Team is already a little on the expensive side for what most non-wargamers expect to pay for a “board game”. What’s a 1500 point army cost nowadays? Even Grey Knights would probably set you back $300. And we’re just talking about the plastic so far.

Not to stir up shit, and generally speaking I’m part of the problem buying up all these exclusive models and such, but 1000% profit to shareholders? And they still can’t do a decent army building web app? I imagine the senior executives and design team diving into Scrooge McDuck piles of money, breaking occasionally to issue new projects whenever they need to break ground on another money-pool building. “Open another chamber” indeed.

*note: entry does not include paint, brushes, glue, files, clippers, or any terrain. All products sold separately, terms and conditions apply.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    We'll, they can make an app, but apparently only for AoS.

And yeah the pricing has gone quite ludicrous. What you used to pay for a three full sprue elite unit now mostly gets you a two sprue kit and recently, with Banshees and incubi only 3 half sprues.

AoS seems to be in a slightly better place right now at least, I think.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got Blood of the Phoenix for 160 though I gave my brother the falcon and viper as he doesn't have those
    Part of me doesn't need any more incubi as I have 8 of the old ones 5 of the resin and now a squad of the new ones
    I just noticed one of the old metal incubi is female
    sz0hb6pdwbyu.png
    They used to have blasters!
    jtmn45pvkoej.png
    I only got so far before I lost interest in it much of the Dark eldar army I have from the release was just given to me or was part of a trade

• Options
    That’s great that they showed their workers some love, but I’m trying to introduce new people to the hobby. Paying $35-60 for entry* into Kill Team is already a little on the expensive side for what most non-wargamers expect to pay for a “board game”. What’s a 1500 point army cost nowadays? Even Grey Knights would probably set you back $300. And we’re just talking about the plastic so far.

Not to stir up shit, and generally speaking I’m part of the problem buying up all these exclusive models and such, but 1000% profit to shareholders? And they still can’t do a decent army building web app? I imagine the senior executives and design team diving into Scrooge McDuck piles of money, breaking occasionally to issue new projects whenever they need to break ground on another money-pool building. “Open another chamber” indeed.

*note: entry does not include paint, brushes, glue, files, clippers, or any terrain. All products sold separately, terms and conditions apply.

Depending on an army it is still about $500-600 for a full army. Which again isn't that much different over time from what I remember. I have built my stuff out over a long time.

Though at this point I think most of the online stuff moves through Warhammer Community which has been great for GW.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I actually think most of the starter boxes are pretty good value - it's relatively cheap to start a Space Marine army because of this - but the individual boxes are definitely getting out of hand price-wise.

Points values have also gotten so much cheaper over the course of 8th edition that building a new 2k point list from scratch feels fucking daunting.