Options

[chat]camp

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Spock was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    blargh need to stay up for another 5.5 hrs

although Ill probably be better off when I get home and get moving instead of just sitting here doing nothing.

• Options
    Sorry that wasn't fair. Every NFL team has an abuser.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

It sounds like an overcomplicated version of Megaman 3's Stage Intor theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjn-arPNZyY
    its a meme, not a real thing

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ad81ff0d20418648f6e4f1af1cc86129_original.gif?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1588626119&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=376667237bfc9cd1e568bd81946d817a

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Bogart wrote: »

Just for the author-invented food names.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    RAD
    MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Added to Game Pass on PC

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2020
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I'm in favour of us having some naming laws that do not let you inflict a name like that on a kid

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I'm in favour of us having some naming laws that do not let you inflict a name like that on a kid

Just as long as I still get to name my kid Sephiroth

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Timing is a hotly debated subject in speedrunning communities. And speed runners love to ruleslawyer.

Doom and Goldeneye use the ingame timers, which are in whole seconds. It makes any improvement an Event. Goldeneye has a lot of latency optimization too, a lot of looking at the floor.

Many sonic games are timed in stage until you hit the sign, because the rewards screen for finishing fast is so long that it would be beneficial to wait for a certain second to get the shortest realtime.

Many 2d 8-16bit games are about slowdown management. It takes 0.3s to kill this enemy, but he slows the game down by 5% for 12s if I don't, so it's worth it etcet...

Some games retime around loads.

nuDoom forces people to frame cap (at 200fps?) because the higher your fps the more glitches the physics. You would have dual 2080tis and still all settings low for the WR without that rule.

Debates on what is a 'glitch' and a 'major glitch' and a 'sequence break'...

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    RAD
    MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Added to Game Pass on PC

....fuck

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

you may not

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the trick is to get the name elsewhere, then move to Scandiland and spawn Sephirothsson and Sephirothsdottir, thus tainting the sacred Name Pool forever

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I feel like we're due an Onion article:

"Entire generation of sci-fi authors disappointed to discover a common threat does not cause humanity to band together."

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

"Entire generation of sci-fi authors disappointed to discover a common threat does not cause humanity to band together."

I am stealing this.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

no numbers, no names that first appeared in a fantasy book that was made into a popular movie/tv show in the last ten years

i think that covers like 90% of awful cases

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    My son, Goku Skywalker

• Options

you may not

Overruled

But weird symbols is a thing I am against.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    the trick is to get the name elsewhere, then move to Scandiland and spawn Sephirothsson and Sephirothsdottir, thus tainting the sacred Name Pool forever

the rule isn't that you can't name someone something unless someone has been named that before

there's a long list of rules for surnames, but for first names it's just "can't be a surname, generally" and "can't be a significant disadvantage" with a more general "or other strong reasons speak against it" added

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm sure 21st is just playing Dad of War, but I really hope they aren't mad at me. :(

Hi @Athenor

i am not mad at you. :)

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Timing is a hotly debated subject in speedrunning communities. And speed runners love to ruleslawyer.

Doom and Goldeneye use the ingame timers, which are in whole seconds. It makes any improvement an Event. Goldeneye has a lot of latency optimization too, a lot of looking at the floor.

Many sonic games are timed in stage until you hit the sign, because the rewards screen for finishing fast is so long that it would be beneficial to wait for a certain second to get the shortest realtime.

Many 2d 8-16bit games are about slowdown management. It takes 0.3s to kill this enemy, but he slows the game down by 5% for 12s if I don't, so it's worth it etcet...

nuDoom forces people to frame cap (at 200fps?) because the higher your fps the more glitches the physics. You would have dual 2080tis and still all settings low for the WR without that rule.

All of this is why I'm never going to really dive into the speedrun community.

I'll watch the odd video here or there but it's hard for me to imagine something I'd be less interested in than debates about speedrunning.

• Options
    which also applies to name changes, although of course the rule is applied less strictly there.

the most tricky cases - where it's a common foreign name that's... unfortunate in norwegian, are usually solved by just contacting the parents and explaining why it might not be a good idea and they tend to agree

also a lot of what they apparently call monday applications, the result of weekend merrymaking, where they've seen and rejected applications for every possible variation of words for genitalia

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    MW5 is one of those games where I just don't have any interest anymore.

edit: like I was interested, then I watched a bunch of vids of people playing, then kinda forgot about it

now I'm just like oh, that game.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMX0uQpDsYU

i have no real interest in speedruns but i loved this video about people speedrunning this doom level over the course of like 20 years

• Options
    which also applies to name changes, although of course the rule is applied less strictly there.

the most tricky cases - where it's a common foreign name that's... unfortunate in norwegian, are usually solved by just contacting the parents and explaining why it might not be a good idea and they tend to agree

also a lot of what they apparently call monday applications, the result of weekend merrymaking, where they've seen and rejected applications for every possible variation of words for genitalia

Magnum Dong Johnson

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »

you may not

Overruled

But weird symbols is a thing I am against.

I've got a really common name but because it has å in it occasionally programs fuck up hard

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You ever think about how Luke’s aunt and uncle could have just lied to him and he probably would have lived out his days picking mushrooms off moisture evaporators and introducing himself as Luke Lars

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    navgoose wrote: »

Magnum Dong Johnson

that would have to be approved I think

Dong is a very common chinese and vietnamese surname and thus can become a middle name. In fact I know several girls with Dong as a middle name. Or er, one of their names anyway. The vietnamese girls I grew up with all had a shitload of names.

that it's slang for dick in english and condom in norwegian is just a cross you have to bear

Magnum is actually a bit iffy though. According to SSB there are ten people in norway who have it as a surname, and nobody with it as a first name, so that might fall afoul of the surname-as-first name rule. But on the other hand it's just incorrect latin grammar form of Magnus, so.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Luke Amidala, last prince of Alderaan.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

Banks depicted the Idiran-Culture War as a kind of (cough) culture war amongst the Culture at large

which I felt was unusually realistic

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    @MrMister

That ethics paper was frustrating to read, especially with the historical context that the virus was officially characterized back in the day by someone self-infecting....

The table about risks to third parties made me angery

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This seems like such a weird bug but Grindstone refuses to give out any audio except if I'm wearing headphones.

I know some games pop up like "headphones recommended" so I don't know if it's intentional. Even though the music is great in this it seems like too odd of a choice for what's essentially something like a Peggle game in scope.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I, on the other hand, am furious at you @21stCentury

You know what you did

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

As far as I understand the situation here, there aren't any formalised rules, but there is a subjective test that at registration the child has to have "a name"

I think there have been instances where individual registrars have argued that a desired name in fact, isn't

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I, on the other hand, am furious at you 21stCentury

You know what you did

Here's the thing, Vanguard, i don't know what i've done, like, as a general rule, so much less what i've done to miff you.

i'm (probably) sorry though.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The next queen of NL (without ... circumstances... and probably 20-30y from now) will be Amalia, and I think of her as Amidala all the time.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    be me
    had 10 hours of daylight chores when I’m normally asleep
    need nap
    sleep six hours
    wake up at 4 am
    remember I told Cinders I would make dinner
    blah

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    be me
    had 10 hours of daylight chores when I’m normally asleep
    need nap
    sleep six hours
    wake up at 4 am
    remember I told Cinders I would make dinner
    blah

It's okay, I sent her a dog link so she'll probably be happy when she wakes up.

vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.