Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I use them on the grip mostly. I never use them standalone.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I will say, I wasn't expecting to play this game again, but look at the clock:
    6idbconjmpta.png

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I use them on the grip mostly. I never use them standalone.

Yeah, in handheld or in the grip, I don't have any issues. Free floating though, I've just never gotten used to them.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Rehab wrote: »
    I think the JoyCons are controllers that are good in theory but just terrible in execution.

They are definitely the worst default controller to come with any Nintendo system.

They’re terrible, but the big saving grace is that you’re rarely forced to use them. The Wii remote was the big shitter because there was classic controller capable of playing many games in the library but the option simply didn’t exist. Nintendo just had to push their dumbass waggle wand. I’m glad Nintendo has come around to the idea that it’s ok to let people play games the way they want.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    EA just never learns.

There’s a difference between not learning and giving no fucks.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    dtha10psmer4.jpg

Blimey.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    EA just never learns.

There’s a difference between not learning and giving no fucks.

Well, they're planning on bringing seven games in total to Switch, so who the hell knows.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Let one (or three) of them be the Mass Effect trilogy. Remastered or not.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    This may be old but it’s New To Me:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NlhU5urjgwk

Charming little metroid-like with what’s probably a slight Earthworm Jim mechanic going on. I’m really loving the monochrome art. Bosses are challenging, seems plenty long for my purposes.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I was 22/3 and grumping about kids and their nintendos while playing Half-life.

I was the same age and playing both. And working at GameStop at the time.

oh i was only grumping cause i didn't have mony to have nintendos.
    It was pure jealousy

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I was 22/3 and grumping about kids and their nintendos while playing Half-life.

I was the same age and playing both. And working at GameStop at the time.

oh i was only grumping cause i didn't have mony to have nintendos.
    It was pure jealousy

If it wasn't for the discount at the time I wouldn't have been able to do both.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the real problem with the joy-cons is the price point. Most games don't need all the things inside them and there are no less expensive official joy-cons that don't have all the weird sensors/motion stuff. Like go look on amazon for knock offs and the ratings are not good. My kids don't need the movement stuff, just the buttons that will last. If i'm paying 70 USD for something it should last a few years, not fall apart after a few months.

• Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    This may be old but it’s New To Me:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NlhU5urjgwk

Charming little metroid-like with what’s probably a slight Earthworm Jim mechanic going on. I’m really loving the monochrome art. Bosses are challenging, seems plenty long for my purposes.

Have been paying that on XBox Gamepass. I think it would be a really good intro to Metroidvanias to someone who's not as into games, but the bosses are a really big jump in terms of difficulty that just seem to not fit as much.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I’m chipping away at Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, and I already like it more than Borderlands 2. Not sure how much staying power it’ll have, but god the opening hours of Borderlands 2 were such a slog (which is how the rest of the game wound up feeling to me).

The extra movement and low gravity give things a fresher feel than I expected.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Pailryder wrote: »
    the real problem with the joy-cons is the price point. Most games don't need all the things inside them and there are no less expensive official joy-cons that don't have all the weird sensors/motion stuff. Like go look on amazon for knock offs and the ratings are not good. My kids don't need the movement stuff, just the buttons that will last. If i'm paying 70 USD for something it should last a few years, not fall apart after a few months.

I actually tried the Nyko Dualies recently, which to my knowledge is the only non-Chinese-gray-market wireless alternative.
    Dualies_5_large.png?v=1542163305
    These aren't super great but a pair is going for about $40 right now on Amazon. They obviously will not attach to the Switch, and must be charged with the included USB-C cable (super slow with other cables.) While you can dual wield them, their size makes them a bit bulky and less comfortable than OG (unless you have giant hands), especially if you are moving around rather than sitting still. They are slightly wider than the officials and therefore slightly more comfortable used as a horizontal singleton. Not as good as I hoped though, was looking for something to make 2 player local Clubhouse more palatable.

The motion control seems fine, the rumble is complete garbage that you will hear but not even feel, just turn it off on the system. It doesn't come with straps but does have a lanyard hole if you can find something, which I recommend for any waggle because as mentioned these are slippery to hold onto with one hand. The buttons are soft and slightly larger but a little flush and hard to see. Hitting one button is OK but trying to hold one and press another kind of sucks. The SL/SR are solid though, a big improvement over the squishy stuff with the OG straps.

It does include large thumbsticks that are a bit tickly, not as good as the better joy-con thumbcaps you can buy but they are already included in the price. Without any thumbcap they are a little more bare/smaller than the OG joycon so you can't just tack ones made to go over the OG joycon rubber. The sticks themselves seem to be exactly the same as OG which is par for the course with alternatives.

Overall I'd say if you want a bunch of cheap sideways controllers for your kids they are good for that. Not as great for guests if only because there's no paint on the button writing so its kind of hard to see what you are doing. And I have to think building up official joycon with skull n co caps and fastsnail sideways grip is going to give a better sideways experience, but at over double the cost.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Burnout may be expensive for what it is, but it's fun, smooth at 60FPS, and I'm having fun with it. Seems like all the new ports are really good, with the exception of Outer Wilds. /s.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    why the sarcasm thing

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Burnout may be expensive for what it is, but it's fun, smooth at 60FPS, and I'm having fun with it. Seems like all the new ports are really good, with the exception of Outer Wilds. /s.

Is the /s because Outer Wilds isn't on Switch?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Outer Worlds is on Switch, Outer Wilds is not. Indeed, therein lies the origin of /s.

Outer Worlds is the only out of the recent batch of ports that's had a poor reception.

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Hi! I just got a Switch! It looks like there’s a bunch of games on sale in the eShop?! Any standouts? I like Metroid and action/adventure/RPG

I think the first game I’m buying is Trials of Mana because holy shit Seiken Densetsu 3?!?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Hi! I just got a Switch! It looks like there’s a bunch of games on sale in the eShop?! Any standouts? I like Metroid and action/adventure/RPG

I think the first game I’m buying is Trials of Mana because holy shit Seiken Densetsu 3?!?

Shantae and the Seven Sirens is a good Metroid style game that just came out. I haven’t played them myself, but people speak highly of Ori and the Blind Forest and Hollow Knight as well.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

There's two versions of Trials of Mana, the remake and a collection with 3 games. Rogue Legacy is good, if a bit older.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

These may or not be on sale... haven't looked. But you should definitely check them out

Assuming that Metroid games includes Metroidvanias:
    Hollow Knight
    Steamworld Dig 1 & 2
    Axiom Verge
    Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

RPG:
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    Xenoblade: Torna - The Golden Land
    Pokemon Sword/Shield

Action:
    Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
    Mark of the Ninja
    Azure Striker Gunvolt 1 & 2
    Luminous Avenger ix

Nintendo staples:
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Mario + Rabbids (it's XCOM with Mario characters)

Other good titles:
    Golf Story
    Battle Chef Brigade

• Options
    Bloodstained is great but I’ve heard the Switch port is pretty bad. Maybe they’ve fixed it up, or maybe the problems don’t matter to you, but I recommend proceeding with caution on that one.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Bloodstained is great but I’ve heard the Switch port is pretty bad. Maybe they’ve fixed it up, or maybe the problems don’t matter to you, but I recommend proceeding with caution on that one.

They've fixed it, but not enough. I regret it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

RPGs I've played on the Switch:

Dark Souls if you haven't played it on any of the many systems it's come out on in the past. Don't buy the whole "only hard core gamers need apply" reputation.

Cat Quest if you want an extremely silly RPG with about a million cat puns.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 if you would like some gorgeous visuals, a painfully-earnest coming-of-age story, and of course hot and cold running waifus to suit every taste.

Sega Ages: Phantasy Star is a classic and has an "Ages mode" that cuts the number of random encounters while boosting the xp and money received from each so there is a lot less painful grinding.

And lastly I would recommend avoiding Nights of Azure 2 because it is just an awful port, but I've heard that the majority of Gust RPGs are very good on the Switch.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Shantae and the Seven Sirens is a good Metroid style game that just came out. I haven’t played them myself, but people speak highly of Ori and the Blind Forest and Hollow Knight as well.

I did play and love Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, so I definitely want to check out Seven Sirens. I have the Ori games and Hollow Knight on XB1 as well, and they're great!
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

There's two versions of Trials of Mana, the remake and a collection with 3 games. Rogue Legacy is good, if a bit older.

I saw! Strangely enough, the remake is what really pushed me to getting a Switch. I only had an XB1, which it's not on, I don't really play on PC, and there's other Nintendo goodness I wanted a Switch for. I saw a streamer playing Trials, and I was like... "those characters look kinda like some of the main characters from Seiken Densetsu 3 (which I had played a translated version of many years ago), but that couldn't be..." But it was!

Anyway, definitely my fault for not clarifying. I do have an XB1, so if it's a multiplatform Metroid-style game, I probably already own it there.

I do want to check our Fire Emblem, the Xenoblades, and Pokemon. I saw Pokemon has a season pass? I'm guessing it's more endgame type stuff? Or would it be good to have the DLC when starting from the beginning?

Also, I do love giant robots. How is that Daemon X Machina game?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I will say Seven Sirens isn't the best value at $30 compared to Hollow Knight and the like. Its like a 10 hour game and doesn't have much unlockable extras. Also little challenge unless the speedrun is the challenge.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

They've fixed it, but not enough. I regret it.

Man. I loved Bloodstained on Switch BEFORE the patch. It had slow spots but it was still an amazing Iga game.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have played it on PS4 now as well and there is such a profound difference that I really regret getting it on Switch in hindsight. I'll still finish it and enjoy it, but I do feel it's not the experience it should have been. Even after patching, I've felt it can be very up and down in terms of framerate especially.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have played it on PS4 now as well and there is such a profound difference that I really regret getting it on Switch in hindsight. I'll still finish it and enjoy it, but I do feel it's not the experience it should have been. Even after patching, I've felt it can be very up and down in terms of framerate especially.

Honestly the game was so good that I don't mind having bought it twice. The PC version was flawless.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular

If you're not already aware, the online subscription which is required to play online also gives you access to libraries of NES and SNES games, including Metroid and Super Metroid and about 60 other games.

If you were so inclined, you could set up a free trial, play the classics and end the trial before paying.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Thinking of playing the Paper Mario titles I missed before getting into the next one.

..should I just skip Sticker Star and go straight to Color Splash? Haven't heard a lot of good things about SS.

Paper Jam worth playing? Know that one is probably more of a M&L title.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Both Sticker Star and Color Splash seemed pretty bad.

Paper Jam at least looks like it has more in common with the earlier Paper Mario games and the Mario and Luigi tie in helps.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Color splash can be enjoyable. The game world and dialogue are still a good time. The combat will kind of grate on you, but I remember a number of chapters without a lot of combat.

I never played sticker star but just from watching vids I can tell how much more painful it would be than color splash.

I dunno if you can find it cheap but if so it’s definitely worth a shot.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Both Sticker Star and Color Splash seemed pretty bad.

Paper Jam at least looks like it has more in common with the earlier Paper Mario games and the Mario and Luigi tie in helps.

You've got it backwards. Paper Jam is a M&L game with a Paper Mario tie-in. It's fairly good, not great. Better than Dream Team, but falls pretty well short of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Paper Jam is not good. The mechanics are all there and it's alright to physically play and level up and equip things and all that, but there's just nothing memorable or worthwhile in there. No unique characters. Paper Mario's world has come into contact with regular Mario's world and so enemies are teaming up with enemies and allies are teaming up with allies, that's about it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Thinking of playing the Paper Mario titles I missed before getting into the next one.

..should I just skip Sticker Star and go straight to Color Splash? Haven't heard a lot of good things about SS.

Paper Jam worth playing? Know that one is probably more of a M&L title.

Color Splash is like Sticker Star done right, but it's still stuck with gameplay that punishes you for engaging with it.

Did you skip Dream Team too? Paper Jam is a continuation of Dream Team's problems, particularly with the special attacks and boss moves all taking for fucking ever.

ztrEPtD.gif