The CIA has a recruitment ad.

And I am dying watching it.

Also I have been to that building.

It is mostly just boring cubicle farms.

Oh and a gift shop.

The CIA has a gift shop.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    i wonder if that Pokemon MOBA will be good.

I like casual MOBAs. But, like.....

MOBAs usually don't last.

It's apparently "free to start", which is a sufficiently off-putting descriptor for me to not even look up what they mean by that.

most MOBAs are free to start, though. I can't actually think of a single successful MOBA you have to pay an upfront fee for.

The usual term is "free to play". The distinction of using "start" instead makes me very suspicious.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i wonder if that Pokemon MOBA will be good.

I like casual MOBAs. But, like.....

MOBAs usually don't last.

It's apparently "free to start", which is a sufficiently off-putting descriptor for me to not even look up what they mean by that.

most MOBAs are free to start, though. I can't actually think of a single successful MOBA you have to pay an upfront fee for.

The usual term is "free to play". The distinction of using "start" instead makes me very suspicious.

that's a nintendo thing.

For some reasons they never use "free-to-play" and always "free-to-start" on their free-to-play titles.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    okay well I looked it up and apparently it's just the term Nintendo uses for 'free to play' and means the same thing

why are you so weird Nintendo

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

ahhahahah

I hadn't seen this until now

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    https://androidcommunity.com/nintendo-prefers-using-free-to-start-term-for-free-games-20150706/
    While a lot of mobile users would prefer to always see the term “free” when looking for games to play on their devices, the head of one of the biggest game providers would rather not use the term “free to play” in describing the games that they put out, as it gives a different impression. He would rather people know that they can play the games for free at first, and then they have the option to making real-life payments later on, if they want to finish the game faster or advance further.

But he would rather not use the “free to play” term that has been prevalent. “Instead, we use the term ‘free-to-start,’ as this term more aptly describes that at the beginning you can start to play for free,” he says. He however assured investors and the public that Nintendo has no intention of changing their business model into something that would ask “excessive amounts of money”.

Okay but like...both the term AND the phrase 'at the beginning you can start to play for free' implies that you'll have to pay for it later.

Maybe it's just me, but 'free to start' sounds like when WoW lets you make a character up to level 60 or whatever, but if you want to play any of the current end-game content you have to pay for the expansion.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Pepsi energy fields

field axis

30 degrees

60 degrees

90 degrees

180 degrees

PERSIST IN THE DOOMED WORLD YOU HAVE CREATED

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Nintendo has never used Free to play, because they feel it hides the fact that yes, you need to pay money to get the full value out of the game. It's part of their child/family focus stuff.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

holy shit i'm only through the first page of actual content and this is already incredible

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    https://androidcommunity.com/nintendo-prefers-using-free-to-start-term-for-free-games-20150706/
    While a lot of mobile users would prefer to always see the term “free” when looking for games to play on their devices, the head of one of the biggest game providers would rather not use the term “free to play” in describing the games that they put out, as it gives a different impression. He would rather people know that they can play the games for free at first, and then they have the option to making real-life payments later on, if they want to finish the game faster or advance further.

But he would rather not use the “free to play” term that has been prevalent. “Instead, we use the term ‘free-to-start,’ as this term more aptly describes that at the beginning you can start to play for free,” he says. He however assured investors and the public that Nintendo has no intention of changing their business model into something that would ask “excessive amounts of money”.

Okay but like...both the term AND the phrase 'at the beginning you can start to play for free' implies that you'll have to pay for it later.

Maybe it's just me, but 'free to start' sounds like when WoW lets you make a character up to level 60 or whatever, but if you want to play any of the current end-game content you have to pay for the expansion.

i think their point is that "free to play" implies the opposite case and they think it's better to be clear that there are things you will pay for

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    is that pepsi document real????

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »

How can it be real if our eyes aren't real

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah, Nintendo has never used Free to play, because they feel it hides the fact that yes, you need to pay money to get the full value out of the game. It's part of their child/family focus stuff.

I mean sure, insert Penny Arcade Comic here about spending $4000, but it's actually true that you can play, say, League of Legends for free, forever. I know plenty of people who have done it! Skins and stuff just aren't important to them, and they don't affect gameplay. I'm all for a new term, I guess, but 'free to start' implies something different than what it is imo.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    You can totally imagine some design firm high on their own supply producing it

So it doesn't matter if it's real, or it's real and unreal

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    $1 million for the logo.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pepsis-nonsensical-logo-redesign-document-1-million-for-this/
    Pepsi paid $1 million for its new logo (even though it looks a lot like other brands' logos), but the details of exactly how Arnell Group justified that astonishing fee have remained hidden -- until now.
    First, note the astonishing amount of whitespace. We're clearly in for something that prizes form over substance here, but it's so much more egregious than that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    $1 million for the logo.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pepsis-nonsensical-logo-redesign-document-1-million-for-this/
    Pepsi paid $1 million for its new logo (even though it looks a lot like other brands' logos), but the details of exactly how Arnell Group justified that astonishing fee have remained hidden -- until now.
    First, note the astonishing amount of whitespace. We're clearly in for something that prizes form over substance here, but it's so much more egregious than that.

lol but does it though?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Halp I love Claude and golden deer being a party house but Edelgard’s house looks like the most formidable

What I doooo

@Hakkekage if you’re only going to play once, play Black Eagles and say fuck the police

I can’t believe I’m going to be such a basic bitch but I think I will go black eagle 4 lyfe

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Also even though this fight was truly a bitch

Like truly truly a boss battle of stupid attrition, and a bitch

I can’t stop looping the Rufus Shinra theme over and over (41:25)

https://youtu.be/vN0urokgXHI

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    $1 million for the logo.

im ded

• Options
    It feels to me like if you want to be child/family friendly, then don't make games with predatory/oppressive monetization design rather than finding something different to call them.

I've only played one of Nintendo's free-to-start games on the Switch (Pokemon Quest), but I didn't get very far until I hit a brick wall for advancement that would have taken a whole lot of tedious grinding to overcome, or spending a lot of money instead. Maybe their other free-to-start games are different, but it didn't feel very child/family friendly to me.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    It feels to me like if you want to be child/family friendly, then don't make games with predatory/oppressive monetization design rather than finding something different to call them.

I've only played one of Nintendo's free-to-start games on the Switch (Pokemon Quest), but I didn't get very far until I hit a brick wall for advancement that would have taken a whole lot of tedious grinding to overcome, or spending a lot of money instead. Maybe their other free-to-start games are different, but it didn't feel very child/family friendly to me.

but this won't make them as much money

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hakkes!

How have you been?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The pepsi logo document is brought up at work all the time.

Your first time realizing it is a wonderful experience. It also helps a ton with any imposter syndrome you may be feeling.

I do admit, I am kind of sad they never went full-hog and had the logo be slightly different depending on the specific line of Pepsi.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    It should be noted that in general I love Nintendo and mostly just find their weird antics bemusing and also that I've spent way too much time and thought on this silly phrase anyway.

I guess I'll go actually troubleshoot my aunt's internet, which will be a real joy boy I tell you hwut.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    there is a video going around facebook showing how to craft an aztec style necklace with your children's baby teeth

• Options
    A lot of the free to start stuff from Nintendo comes from their stockholders forcing them down that path. Well, that, and them making appropriately costed mobile games and everyone balking at how expensive they were (Super Mario Run was $10, I believe).

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A $1 mobile game is considered horrifically expensive

• Options
    Hakkes!

How have you been?

Working a lot

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I can resist league of legends....but...a Pokemon MOBA...

Oh

Oh no, I'm in some real fucking trouble here

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    One million seems alright considering.

The regional hospital here in Stockholm spent over a million for rebranding, and the logo is (I believe) a Helvetica "K" with a crown above it.

To be charitable I think they got more out of that, like concrete website design etc. Not just an .eps.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hakkes!

How have you been?

Working a lot

Well that's butts.

Like working outside of your normal schedule?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Arch wrote: »

Oh

Charizard gonna hit you with that Fire Blast ult

just massive AOE damage in an arc

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

Oh

When the opposing team's base is destroyed, I want a giant explosion to send the enemy team flying off into the air.

754c23c99b91e0e911398d60eeb201c8.gif

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The bulk of my new job is to monitor alarms across the entire network and action any that require actioning (Lost of alarms are just status things, or problems that have no solution, because a significant chunk of our network is ancient tech that has no support and no spares exist anymore BUT ANYWAY)

One of the main systems is generating 3-6 alarms every minute. They are all from the same cause. They are all things we cannot action because the problems are coming from reseller equipment. But the system can have alarms that we very much need to action if they come up so every last one of those alarms has to be checked and noted.

It's a fucking full time job to keep up with it. And that's on top of all things we normally do.

What in the F.

• Options
    Hakkes!

How have you been?

Working a lot

Well that's butts.

Like working outside of your normal schedule?

Lol “normal schedule”

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Oh, and lets not forget all the hangups we get.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My dog has decided he needs to sleep on me all the time. Spoiled boy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    $1 million for the logo.

im ded
    One of my favorite Lemon Demon songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAG7pye0V1g

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I uncovered some serious errors in plasmids this week. Plasmids that had been used for years.

Sequence your plasmids folks.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Working on butts is hard work

This discussion has been closed.