Options

Geth next time pick a better user to make a new [chat]

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Current mood

t5k9pbprdcvi.png

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I uncovered some serious errors in plasmids this week. Plasmids that had been used for years.

Sequence your plasmids folks.

isn't this how bioshock happened

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The bulk of my new job is to monitor alarms across the entire network and action any that require actioning (Lost of alarms are just status things, or problems that have no solution, because a significant chunk of our network is ancient tech that has no support and no spares exist anymore BUT ANYWAY)

One of the main systems is generating 3-6 alarms every minute. They are all from the same cause. They are all things we cannot action because the problems are coming from reseller equipment. But the system can have alarms that we very much need to action if they come up so every last one of those alarms has to be checked and noted.

It's a fucking full time job to keep up with it. And that's on top of all things we normally do.

What in the F.

Do you... not have the ability to customize your monitor sets?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    i got asked to give feedback on a co-worker and it feels real weird to be all "nope, no suggestions here, they're great" because i genuinely don't have a bad thing to say about them

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i got asked to give feedback on a co-worker and it feels real weird to be all "nope, no suggestions here, they're great" because i genuinely don't have a bad thing to say about them
    "no one here is perfect so we only give 4/5"

• Options
    "areas for personal growth? You should be personally growing her bank account! Give her a raise"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Couscous wrote: »
    A $1 mobile game is considered horrifically expensive

The free-to-play model created market and design warping expectations.

shryke on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Did I just see there is a Pokémon MOBA coming?

eqhaaohmz2k5.jpeg

• Options
    Peer feedback is such bullshit. I wish that concept can die in a fire along with pointless annual reviews that mean nothing.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

They could also offer to spot your squats

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    trying to see if we can replace our awning fabric ourselves

not sure its going to happen may need to get a pro in here

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    The bulk of my new job is to monitor alarms across the entire network and action any that require actioning (Lost of alarms are just status things, or problems that have no solution, because a significant chunk of our network is ancient tech that has no support and no spares exist anymore BUT ANYWAY)

One of the main systems is generating 3-6 alarms every minute. They are all from the same cause. They are all things we cannot action because the problems are coming from reseller equipment. But the system can have alarms that we very much need to action if they come up so every last one of those alarms has to be checked and noted.

It's a fucking full time job to keep up with it. And that's on top of all things we normally do.

What in the F.

Sure! Except this system has never been properly set up because when it was installed, the tech who was tasked with programming everything was given no instructions. Basically, it's been "Figure it all out for yourselves" so a lot of stuff isn't clear.

And we're retiring it and replacing it with an even more cyptic and useless platform! Yay!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

As a reminder, the firm was paid one million dollars for this.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like that the consultancy firm approached the rebranding like it was a recipe on a blog. 98% buildup about your personal life or a vague, pompous essay on something entirely unrelated, 2% actual content.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Peer feedback is such bullshit. I wish that concept can die in a fire along with pointless annual reviews that mean nothing.

The way we do peer review is great. You nominate three people to provide feedback to your manager to help inform their review of you. I've gotten a lot of glowing 4/5s when I nominate people like Alice (SVP), Bill (Managing Director), and Carl (my boss's boss).

• Options
    I will approach every question like this in future.

"What is 2 plus 2, Bogart?"

"Well, numbers have been with us a long time, and their symbology is a fascinating tale which weaves its way through every notable culture on the planet. As Montaigne said, when asked about his friendship with the noted artist ... "

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Also, a million dollars for a large company rebrand makes sense, but that's because your paying for the work of the number of assets involved in the rebrand...not the pitch of the new logo.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    is that pepsi document real????
    $1 million for the logo.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pepsis-nonsensical-logo-redesign-document-1-million-for-this/
    Pepsi paid $1 million for its new logo (even though it looks a lot like other brands' logos), but the details of exactly how Arnell Group justified that astonishing fee have remained hidden -- until now.
    First, note the astonishing amount of whitespace. We're clearly in for something that prizes form over substance here, but it's so much more egregious than that.

im ded
    One of my favorite Lemon Demon songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAG7pye0V1g

Yeah I pray to the Pepsi logo so what?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I will approach every question like this in future.

"What is 2 plus 2, Bogart?"

"Well, numbers have been with us a long time, and their symbology is a fascinating tale which weaves its way through every notable culture on the planet. As Montaigne said, when asked about his friendship with the noted artist ... "

Webster's dictionary defines the number two as...

• Options
    The true path to God is to meditate upon the permutations of the Pepsi logo

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Aioua wrote: »

What in the F.

Sure! Except this system has never been properly set up because when it was installed, the tech who was tasked with programming everything was given no instructions. Basically, it's been "Figure it all out for yourselves" so a lot of stuff isn't clear.

And we're retiring it and replacing it with an even more cyptic and useless platform! Yay!

Ugh.

I basically do alarm management for a living... I had to spend several months when I got in building a system to manage monitor configurations since it was all hand-built nonsense.

But yeah... no point if it's getting deprecated. Though I'd encourage you to try and dig though the cryptids of the new system and figure out how to automate it. You get to feel like a gd genius at the end, at least.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Let me answer that question with another question. Well, it's more of a statement than a question, really, and it comes in fourteen parts.

• Options
    with our latest rebrand, my company paid six or seven figures for "Arial, but with lower case letters that look like upper case letters"

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

fits your av

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    heullo

poo
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Also, a million dollars for a large company rebrand makes sense, but that's because your paying for the work of the number of assets involved in the rebrand...not the pitch of the new logo.

Oh yeah, I'm not blinking an eye at a million dollars for a Pepsi rebrand

The thing that rocks my world is the document which seems to be like 100+ pages where each somehow manages to contribute actual negative value

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    But even in much less extreme cases — even when taken on voluntarily — isolation can have unexpected effects, as was famously illustrated by the outcome of the 1968 Sunday Times Golden Globe yacht race, in which nine men competed to be the first to do a solo, nonstop circumnavigation of the globe. Only one sailor, Robin Knox-Johnston, finished the mission, after 313 days alone at sea. But Johnston would likely have lost to an eccentric Frenchman named Bernard Moitessier had Moitessier not found the solitude so compelling that he abandoned the race altogether and just continued sailing, feeding cheese to seabirds and circling the globe more than one and a half times before landing in Tahiti. A fellow competitor named Donald Crowhurst, meanwhile, spent much of the trip concocting fake coordinates as he drifted around the Atlantic, plagued by loneliness and depression. After more than eight months, he capped a rambling 25,000-word philosophical treatise with “I have no need to prolong the game,” and presumably threw himself into the sea.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/coronavirus-isolation-negative-effects-health-loneliness-1016478/

d-dang

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Let me answer that question with another question. Well, it's more of a statement than a question, really, and it comes in fourteen parts.

Who said industry and academia were so different

• Options
    heullo

"My name is Elder White and I would like to share with you the most amazing book"

OR

"I started this gangster shit and this the motherfucking thanks I get."

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

to God?

choose a god you think is fair, if you intend to meditate on the Logo

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    But even in much less extreme cases — even when taken on voluntarily — isolation can have unexpected effects, as was famously illustrated by the outcome of the 1968 Sunday Times Golden Globe yacht race, in which nine men competed to be the first to do a solo, nonstop circumnavigation of the globe. Only one sailor, Robin Knox-Johnston, finished the mission, after 313 days alone at sea. But Johnston would likely have lost to an eccentric Frenchman named Bernard Moitessier had Moitessier not found the solitude so compelling that he abandoned the race altogether and just continued sailing, feeding cheese to seabirds and circling the globe more than one and a half times before landing in Tahiti. A fellow competitor named Donald Crowhurst, meanwhile, spent much of the trip concocting fake coordinates as he drifted around the Atlantic, plagued by loneliness and depression. After more than eight months, he capped a rambling 25,000-word philosophical treatise with “I have no need to prolong the game,” and presumably threw himself into the sea.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/coronavirus-isolation-negative-effects-health-loneliness-1016478/

d-dang

tag yourself

trying to live my life a Moitessier but afraid I'm gonna end up a Crowhurst

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    i've completely internalized and accepted the incorrect pronunciation of my name after a life of just going with it, and young child me not caring, and introduce myself with the incorrect pronunciation most of the time except when i get embarrassed and introduce myself to an indian person

Hakkekage would pronounce my name right and troll me on it tho
    also @Deebaser

"Shazkar Shadowstorm" if it makes you feel any better, people have been pronouncing my name consistently incorrectly since I got down South, but have weirdly been nailing my wife’s name.
    your first name????

Yeah it's pretty wild. Almost no one pronounces my name correctly since I moved down here. My squad goes heavy with the U in my name, but everyone else around here completely ignores it like it's one of those british 'U's after "O" that don't mean anything.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

d-dang

tag yourself

trying to live my life a Moitessier but afraid I'm gonna end up a Crowhurst

I like to imagine that Crowhurst instead got picked up by the sexy crew of a passing yacht and is still partying to this day

Tumin on
  • Options

to God?

choose a god you think is fair, if you intend to meditate on the Logo
    I choose to attack and dethrone god.

• Options
    aj563w8jwjys.png

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    botched restoration is my favorite period of art

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    if i accidentally erased a masterpiece i would simply repaint it the exact same way it was before

• Options
    There's just one little seedling poking its head out of the ground this morning

The rest of you fuckers are late

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I love the mechanic in darkest dungeon where higher level heroes will refuse to take part in lower level quests. That game would be too easy otherwise.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hmm my father in law has moved beyond what we might call the usual levels of conservative racism

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.