Options

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I am going to assume that's multiple students and not one deeply scatterbrained student.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    That is deeply troubling, especially the top one that paints the conquistadors as a force of good.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Got any cotton or spices?"
    "No, but I have slavery, which is a wildcard."
    "Eh, okay."

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It took all day, but I finally finished the last three open-book quizzes for my Texas gov't class. Now all that's left is the final exam on June 29. I can spend all of Sunday on technology learning!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    That is deeply troubling, especially the top one that paints the conquistadors as a force of good.

I mean they’re 12. They aren’t that good questioning material or looking at things morally.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    That rogue comma in the first one is bothering me as much as the content, though I'm aware that that's more a me problem than a them problem.

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »

I mean they’re 12. They aren’t that good questioning material or looking at things morally.

It tells you more about who is teaching them. A world view in which Christianity is always a force of good.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Having a concussion sucks. It's 4am-ish. I'd really like to sleep but brain stuff

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

It tells you more about who is teaching them. A world view in which Christianity is always a force of good.

Are elementary school students outside of Australia often made to debate the merits of various religions?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

"In our terms" ... I dunno it seems that they at least understand there was a cultural difference between the natives and conquistadors.

Though I think we can cut 12 year olds some slack being woke on this as a whole, because you're right, it's the curriculum to blame.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Are elementary school students outside of Australia often made to debate the merits of various religions?

Kind of, but not like that. We discuss things like the Pilgrims and religious ostracism roughly around 5th/7th/8th grade, Aztec ritual sacrifices and how similar the Mayans were to the Greeks and Romans is peppered in there when we talk about Spain's conquest of South America. But this is hugely dependent on how good your state's educational spending and departments are.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean I left them alone to research the topic. It’s the internet’s fault really.

• Options
    I mean I left them alone to research the topic. It’s the internet’s fault really.

Real question is, when isn't the internet to blame?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Never to early to start teaching judging of sources!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sigh
    I really hate when people don't give it their all and just give up
    It was a heavy load but doable over 2k pieces 9 pallets of freight in frozen sadly I had to the two people I really feel they should stop moving them around the store and flatly tell them they will never be moved if they don't show improvement
    As I did the chicken wall 5 carts of frozen entrée when I finished I went over to help one of them finish the potatoes and breakfast with the ideal of doing the ice-cream
    As they both disappeared at break and I did the small and about a 1/4 of the other pallet before was doing the pints of ice-cream at about the 10 minute mark they reappeared and took the pallet back into the freezer

• Options
    That is very interesting, actually. Did they have to provide links to what they read? And do you think their parents played a role in what they picked up? It'd be a good insight in the biases of kids.
    Can heartily recommend Crash Course: Media Literacy
    https://nerdfighteria.info/cat/441/

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    When I was in junior high I got saddled with the football coach as the teacher, and he pretty much just had us self-research 20 historical figures over the course of the semester to present to the class. Since we were using the internet as our sole resource, some of them were...questionable.

For instance, I stumbled on a website that was basically presenting the COINTELPRO smear file on MLK Jr as unvarnished fact, and ended up giving a presentation that could be described as "largely slanderous." And the next week the coach brought in the computer teacher to give a talk on how to judge internet sources and, crucially, how to recognize when you're on a white supremacist propaganda site.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That is very interesting, actually. Did they have to provide links to what they read? And do you think their parents played a role in what they picked up? It'd be a good insight in the biases of kids.
    Can heartily recommend Crash Course: Media Literacy
    https://nerdfighteria.info/cat/441/

Also ask your school librarian who would probably love to help teach media literacy, source citations, and how to find reliable sources! It is literally our jobs and we have advanced degrees in doing it!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dammit, I thought I could work on Linux today but I can't. There's going to be an essay question on the final exam, so I actually have to read the biography that was one of the textbooks I was required to purchase for this course. Good thing I'm a fast reader but ugh. I was figuring all multiple choice like the last two tests so even if I wasn't 100% perfect I could still get by. Can't do that with an essay question. I want an A in this course so I'll spend the next two days reading.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    What's it about?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    What's it about?

Five generations of an Hispanic family in Texas starting from the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Did my boss just call me at 20:30 to have a panic attack about a meeting we have tomorrow and that she only put me in charge of two hours ago? yes she did

Like I get that I gotta work irregular hours doing this shit, but handholding a person who has already put the responsibility for success on my shoulders is fucking excessive

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    What's it about?

Five generations of an Hispanic family in Texas starting from the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.

Neat! Also: potentially tedious! Good luck.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »
    What's it about?

Neat! Also: potentially tedious! Good luck.

I'm sure it's worth reading and that I'll learn things from it. This course has taught me things I didn't know about Texas. Hey and also about Washington, where I'm glad I don't have to choose whether or not to move to that state. Did you know Washington, a supposed blue state, has the most regressive taxation in the USA? By a lot! Fucking tech bros ruining everything. That's not to give Texas a pass, we are also in the top regressive tax 10 states, but jayzus Washington, I believed in ya'll.

Edit: Ok it's not a real biography, the family is a fictional one. And the author writes dialog for his characters that no real person would ever speak, not even a history expert, but whatever, at least it's readable so far.

Edit: Texas - why you don't invite white people into your neighborhood (oh god they'll take ANYTHING that isn't nailed down)

Edit: It's only 170 pages, I should be able to knock this out in a day if I don't get too distracted.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Me, two days into a concussion, "Oh right, ice packs exist and I have several of them in my freezer"

That feels nice.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The hardest part as a parent is trying to decide what to teach your kids, and when. How do you impart a lifetime of knowledge and mistakes from which you learned? And there are so many smaller things that come naturally enough now that you forget it’s something you have to teach.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    The hardest part as a parent is trying to decide what to teach your kids, and when. How do you impart a lifetime of knowledge and mistakes from which you learned? And there are so many smaller things that come naturally enough now that you forget it’s something you have to teach.

If I ever had the opportunity to go all Mary Roach and research a book, I'd like to study regional housekeeping traditions. I once saw a talk from a historian who claimed that if your grandparents lived in a prairie state during the Dust Bowl, you were much more likely to store your glasses rims down in the cabinet, while if you stored your glasses rims up, your family probably came here from a less dust-ridden state after the 1930s. In the northeast, it's said to be an indication that you're a couple of generations removed from a bug-infested tenement as opposed to a free-standing house that's easier to keep exterminated.

The evidence for these claims is a bit shaky, but it's fascinating to me. Most of the stuff we do to keep our house in order is ingrained from an early age and not really examined until we get our first roommates. I'd love to read an in-depth microhistory about all the weird little customs and strategies that settle in various regions and classes.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2020
    ... oh my goodness I grew up in a super dry and dusty place and absolutely always store my glasses rim down. Never really thought about it in terms of environment before.

edit: another habit I had to actively unlearn was always leaving all my windows open in summer, which when I lived in Boston would get me absolutely drenched floors and furniture when the inevitable summer rainstorms blew in. Partly because Boston doesn't believe in eaves.

tynic on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I store some of my glasses rim-down and some of them rim up, because that way I can jam more of them into the cupboard.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

If I ever had the opportunity to go all Mary Roach and research a book, I'd like to study regional housekeeping traditions. I once saw a talk from a historian who claimed that if your grandparents lived in a prairie state during the Dust Bowl, you were much more likely to store your glasses rims down in the cabinet, while if you stored your glasses rims up, your family probably came here from a less dust-ridden state after the 1930s. In the northeast, it's said to be an indication that you're a couple of generations removed from a bug-infested tenement as opposed to a free-standing house that's easier to keep exterminated.

The evidence for these claims is a bit shaky, but it's fascinating to me. Most of the stuff we do to keep our house in order is ingrained from an early age and not really examined until we get our first roommates. I'd love to read an in-depth microhistory about all the weird little customs and strategies that settle in various regions and classes.

Same for bowls but for me that was when I worked in food service. Though I wonder if that was an actual food service thing or a cultural thing from the guy who ran that kitchen.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2020
    If you're doing a fast turn-around on washing and using bowls (or anything really), you want to turn them upside down so any water missed during the drying doesn't run down and pool at the bottom. So that makes sense to me.
    edit: also water pooling can stain porcelain/ceramic

tynic on
  • Options
    One thing I don't understand about my government teacher, when I would write up assignment posts for the discussion board, and gave racism as a reason for why Texans did a thing (including data to back that up), he'd always make the remark, "but what caused the racism?" and it's like, hell if I know! Humans are bastards.

Not that I told him that to his face, but I don't really know what he expects me to say there. At least he still gives me pretty good grades for those despite not being able to provide a reason why racism exists.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Maybe he is just waiting for you to go "Humans are bastards", so he can go "Thank you! Yes! A+!".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »
    Maybe he is just waiting for you to go "Humans are bastards", so he can go "Thank you! Yes! A+!".

This reminds me of an extremely good classical literature professor I had back in the late 90s, who when talking to him privately about something, asked me what I thought the theme of Medea was. To which I replied, "Nobody's any damn good."

• Options
    Boy, that's a rough question with two very different approaches, depending on whether or not your Texas government teacher is a big ol' racist.

The answer may surprise you!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I didn't know that anybody actually put glasses or cups in cabinets any other way than rim down. My family isn't from anywhere near the dust bowl prairies or bug infested tenements. They just stack better that way ( I've always used plastic cups)

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I put my coffee cups rim down, but tall drinking glasses rim up. I have no reason for either way other than that's just how stuff happens.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Boy, that's a rough question with two very different approaches, depending on whether or not your Texas government teacher is a big ol' racist.

The answer may surprise you!

I get the impression he's not a racist, but who really knows these days.

Edit: Like for example this book I'm reading today goes into detail about the famous and non-famous Mexicans who helped the Anglos fight for independence, one of them even becoming the interim vice-president of Texas, and how Texans, out of racism, ignored all those figures and whitewashed the revolution to be anglos only. Then they bribed Texan officials to set huge unpayable tax bills for the Mexicans with Rancheros so they'd all have to sell their land and, if they wanted to stay in Texas, work it as labor for the white land owners. I don't think a guy who makes this book mandatory for his class is ignorant of Texas' racist history or thinks its OK either then or now.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    “Bacon’s Rebellion” is a defensible answer.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So when I usually go into work there is a group of 8? people lounging around the break room watching whatever on the tv. They had on that Will Ferrell Eurovision movie {I found out it just came out Friday when I looked it up} So during lunch someone put on the Zorro movie from the 90's and then talked about casual racism of their understanding of the area
    I did try to point out the zany era of California Mexico the late 1700's to 1820 is where and when Zorro usually takes place and other things
    But yes he did bring up the massive misunderstanding of Emperor Maximilian and other things when the movie talks about Santa Ana is coming and so much more as I just gave up and went to a happy place in my mind

Thursday-Saturday have been rough with the shear amount of freight the less than ideal attitude of people I work with and other things

I am so happy it's Friday

This discussion has been closed.