As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Updates on [SARS2/covid-19] (reboot)

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    The Governor of Georgia is voiding city/county orders to wear masks in public. His administration is simultaneously procuring more hospital beds. I don't buy into conspiracy theories, but this is a pretty terrible look.

https://apnews.com/71bc07efaebc1b2d3b9aaf9bdc795d5d

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    The Governor of Georgia is voiding city/county orders to wear masks in public. His administration is simultaneously procuring more hospital beds. I don't buy into conspiracy theories, but this is a pretty terrible look.

It's not a conspiracy. All for reelection of dear leader.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Republican convention in Jacksonville will be scaled back next month
    The Republican Party will hold a scaled-back convention in Jacksonville, Fla., next month that includes a mix of outdoor and indoor venues, according to a letter sent to delegates.

The Thursday letter from Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel, obtained by The Washington Post, said admittance will be limited to only regular delegates for the first three days of the convention — or about 2,500 people. For the final day, when the president attends, delegates will get a guest, and alternate delegates can also attend — or 6,000 to 7,000 people.

In the letter, McDaniel says the changes are to comply with Florida rules after the party moved most of the convention from North Carolina.

“When we made these changes, we had hoped to be able to plan a traditional convention celebration to which we are all accustomed. However, adjustments must be made to comply with state and local health guidelines,” she said.

McDaniel said in the letter that officials are likely to use both outdoor and indoor spaces in Florida, though officials say final decisions have not been made on where the speeches will occur.

“We plan to utilize a number of indoor and outdoor venues in this multi-block radius of Jacksonville, including the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, TIAA Bank Field, Daily’s Place Amphitheater, 121 Financial Ballpark, and several others,” the letter says.

Oh look at that. Guess having your convention in a hot spot may not be a great idea.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The Republican Party will hold a scaled-back convention in Jacksonville, Fla., next month that includes a mix of outdoor and indoor venues, according to a letter sent to delegates.

The Thursday letter from Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel, obtained by The Washington Post, said admittance will be limited to only regular delegates for the first three days of the convention — or about 2,500 people. For the final day, when the president attends, delegates will get a guest, and alternate delegates can also attend — or 6,000 to 7,000 people.

In the letter, McDaniel says the changes are to comply with Florida rules after the party moved most of the convention from North Carolina.

“When we made these changes, we had hoped to be able to plan a traditional convention celebration to which we are all accustomed. However, adjustments must be made to comply with state and local health guidelines,” she said.

McDaniel said in the letter that officials are likely to use both outdoor and indoor spaces in Florida, though officials say final decisions have not been made on where the speeches will occur.

“We plan to utilize a number of indoor and outdoor venues in this multi-block radius of Jacksonville, including the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, TIAA Bank Field, Daily’s Place Amphitheater, 121 Financial Ballpark, and several others,” the letter says.

Oh look at that. Guess having your convention in a hot spot may not be a great idea.

Cowards

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Wonder how much of this is also to hide low turnout.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Wonder how much of this is also to hide low turnout.

It's going to drive Trump crazy if he can't have his group therapy /cult gatherings anymore.

It was one thing while the White House was acknowledging the virus, and so he had to do his daily briefings. But with Tulsa being a disaster, and the cancellation of New Hampshire, and the repeated bagging of the Democrats for going mostly if not fully virtual, him not being able to do it will have him in a perpetual "mood".

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Given Kemp's one of the Trumpymost governors in the US and certified his own election victory after blatantly rigging the vote I think assuming shadiness from him ought to be the default reaction.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

It's not. But it doesn't matter. The second Trump gets there all this is going to be defenestrated with gusto for a bunch of reasons, and probably not enforced too well before that in solidarity. They'll do what they did everywhere else: take down signs, cram people together for pictures, etc. The most at-risk people will be the ones with the best seats. If there is proper social distancing it will be because turnout is that low. I don't care, there is no schadenfreude to be had from this. Whether or not we enjoy these people being around and having power, none of the families, service people, people who will need to clean their hotel rooms, etc. they encounter outside of this convention while traveling all over the country will have plot armor.
    Tox wrote: »

Cowards

This sucks.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Active cases climbing a bit here in BC since we went to Phase 3 reopening.

CBC journalist tweeting.

Not loving the community response I've seen while out and about recently. Went to the grocery store the other day and only one staff person was masked, and I'd say maybe 1/3 or less of customers were masked, as I was.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, I've been disappointed with the number of masks in some places. The Chinese and Korean grocery stores were ok, but at the more generic one, staff wasn't masked, and most people weren't wearing masks. It's a pretty trivial thing that apparently helps a lot, so it's really frustrating to see how most people aren't doing it.

Like, BC is overall very low in case load. Let's... keep it that way? Come on, people!

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/07/16/larry-hogan-trump-coronavirus/

Larry Hogan with a scathing blow by blow of Trumps COVID failures.

Edit

For context Larry Hogan is the Republican Governor of Maryland. This goes over the steps he and other governors have had to take to protect their constituents while Trump fiddled and lied.

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    While most people are no longer wearing masks and dont need to social distance, I still more people with them than before this whole thing and all those plastic shields by the counters are still up.

In wonder if more people will now start wearing masks when they're sick and the sneeze guards will be the new normal.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    kijunshikijunshi Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Hey hey hey guys! Sooooo. The death rate is surging, the people are going to Disney anyway, the president is blocking data from getting to the CDC, teachers are on track to be sent into the classroom to die, Ivanka Trump is starting a campaign for the legions of unemployed called "Find Something New!", the $600 supplement runs out at the end of the month... and the evictions have already begun... am I missing anything?

Would any of you be interested in some links to stuff I'm personally using to cope?

Reading about all this crap is fascinating and all, and I definitely intend to keep doing so as long as y'all keep posting. But I am definitely balancing this with listening to very certain types of music, as I jump between this and my daily spreadsheets. I've been thinking for a while that you guys deserve to have some quick-links to this sort of stuff, because fighting the good fight like you are has got to be exhausting. Recommendations... commence!

1) Marina's album LOVE + FEAR

Marina is the best pop star ever - the stuff she wrote at age 17 in her garage is better than anything I've ever heard on the radio. I recommend her literal everything, but her most recent album, LOVE + FEAR, seems almost prophetic for our times in how gentle and life-affirming it is - a sort of cry for personal peace as well as love being stronger than fear, though both are real and important. She is strikingly thoughtful in her art, as well, in a way that's going to hit as extremely relevant especially in the music video I'm going to highlight below, for your personal usage in finding catharsis:

Marina's song To be Human

(FAIR WARNING do not watch this music video if you are not prepared to START CRYING DURING IT, this is your WARNING, you will not get through it without tears unless you are a LIZARD-PERSON with no DUCTS)

2) Caravan Palace's album Robot Face

OK, so you don't actually want to listen to anything about mental health or that might make you cry. Fair enough, I get it. Try this French electro-swing band out for the perfect, foot-tappin', GO OUT AND DANCE YOUR HEART OUT ON TOP OF YOUR LIVING ROOM COUCH RIGHT NOW OMG album ever!!

WARNING: This band is French. That means that their music videos are NOT safe for work. All the links here, to the BANGER album above as well as the equally good but more "relaxing summer" tone of the one I am linking below, are very specifically to an image of the album cover. But, uh, be warned if you go googling individual songs... you will see. Some. Stuff.

Caravan Palace's newest album Chronologic

3) Monsoon Wedding movie soundtrack Aaj Mera Jee Kardaa (Today My Heart Desires)

I somehow ended up burning a CD of this back in my 20s. I recently found it and have been popping it into my old, outdated work computer's CD drive. I barely remember the movie, but it was about an Indian wedding, and the music is a perfect mix of ancient traditional wedding songs and smooth techno mix. I don't have a link to the entire playlist here, sadly, but I found my favorite track and have linked above.

I am finding this sort of music, coming from a tradition older and arguably wiser than ours, captures very well the tentative joys of this moment in life. It feels like it holds the knowledge that life itself is balanced on a knife's edge - that we don't always get everything we want, or even need - that this coming relationship could be difficult, that the bride might die in 9 months in childbed - but hey! Right now we're having a WEDDING! Let's SING and DANCE!

I imagine other Bollywood film scores, or traditional Jewish music, or even Bosnian throat singing (couldn't find a link, but ah well!) might serve a similar purpose. I'm hearing similarities among it all nowadays.

Anyway! Hope this was informative and on-topic enough. Stay strong, guys. We gotta keep our eyes on this stuff, whatever goes down. But we gotta be kind to ourselves too. <3

kijunshi on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    kijunshi wrote: »
    Hey hey hey guys! Sooooo. The death rate is surging, the people are going to Disney anyway, the president is blocking data from getting to the CDC, teachers are on track to be sent into the classroom to die, Ivanka Trump is starting a campaign for the legions of unemployed called "Find Something New!", the $600 supplement runs out at the end of the month... and the evictions have already begun... am I missing anything?

Would any of you be interested in some links to stuff I'm personally using to cope?

Reading about all this crap is fascinating and all, and I definitely intend to keep doing so as long as y'all keep posting. But I am definitely balancing this with listening to very certain types of music, as I jump between this and my daily spreadsheets. I've been thinking for a while that you guys deserve to have some quick-links to this sort of stuff, because fighting the good fight like you are has got to be exhausting. Recommendations... commence!

1) Marina's album LOVE + FEAR

Marina is the best pop star ever - the stuff she wrote at age 17 in her garage is better than anything I've ever heard on the radio. I recommend her literal everything, but her most recent album, LOVE + FEAR, seems almost prophetic for our times in how gentle and life-affirming it is - a sort of cry for personal peace as well as love being stronger than fear, though both are real and important. She is strikingly thoughtful in her art, as well, in a way that's going to hit as extremely relevant especially in the music video I'm going to highlight below, for your personal usage in finding catharsis:

Marina's song To be Human

(FAIR WARNING do not watch this music video if you are not prepared to START CRYING DURING IT, this is your WARNING, you will not get through it without tears unless you are a LIZARD-PERSON with no DUCTS)

2) Caravan Palace's album Robot Face

OK, so you don't actually want to listen to anything about mental health or that might make you cry. Fair enough, I get it. Try this French electro-swing band out for the perfect, foot-tappin', GO OUT AND DANCE YOUR HEART OUT ON TOP OF YOUR LIVING ROOM COUCH RIGHT NOW OMG album ever!!

WARNING: This band is French. That means that their music videos are NOT safe for work. All the links here, to the BANGER album above as well as the equally good but more "relaxing summer" tone of the one I am linking below, are very specifically to an image of the album cover. But, uh, be warned if you go googling individual songs... you will see. Some. Stuff.

Caravan Palace's newest album Chronologic

3) Monsoon Wedding movie soundtrack Aaj Mera Jee Kardaa (Today My Heart Desires)

I somehow ended up burning a CD of this back in my 20s. I recently found it and have been popping it into my old, outdated work computer's CD drive. I barely remember the movie, but it was about an Indian wedding, and the music is a perfect mix of ancient traditional wedding songs and smooth techno mix. I don't have a link to the entire playlist here, sadly, but I found my favorite track and have linked above.

I am finding this sort of music, coming from a tradition older and arguably wiser than ours, captures very well the tentative joys of this moment in life. It feels like it holds the knowledge that life itself is balanced on a knife's edge - that we don't always get everything we want, or even need - that this coming relationship could be difficult, that the bride might die in 9 months in childbed - but hey! Right now we're having a WEDDING! Let's SING and DANCE!

I imagine other Bollywood film scores, or traditional Jewish music, or even Bosnian throat singing (couldn't find a link, but ah well!) might serve a similar purpose. I'm hearing similarities among it all nowadays.

Anyway! Hope this was informative and on-topic enough. Stay strong, guys. We gotta keep our eyes on this stuff, whatever goes down. But we gotta be kind to ourselves too. <3

Not for the updates thread. Try the discussion thread or possibly the resources thread.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    The quarantivity thread in SE++ would potentially enjoy that post as well.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Gah.

There is an outbreak at the NICU at one of Vancouver’s major hospitals.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Vox has an article with summaries and links to various studies and whatnot that looked at the effectiveness of masks.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Deaths are a lagging indicator.

ibdth4gyfdb51.png?width=740&format=png&auto=webp&s=29fd2de7a088fb68a39001140ec4a8652196c9c6

zufum5gyfdb51.png?width=740&format=png&auto=webp&s=6f523e9030e55e48f3075f3cefeb5165d30b15ab

We've just run out of that lag time, and deaths are increasing. In Texas too, those numbers will start to get very bad because all the nursing homes are getting infected and SARS2 is spreading rapidly within them. Florida is probably similar, though with so much official
    obfuscation it's harder to tell.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Deaths are a lagging indicator.

ibdth4gyfdb51.png?width=740&format=png&auto=webp&s=29fd2de7a088fb68a39001140ec4a8652196c9c6

zufum5gyfdb51.png?width=740&format=png&auto=webp&s=6f523e9030e55e48f3075f3cefeb5165d30b15ab

We've just run out of that lag time, and deaths are increasing. In Texas too, those numbers will start to get very bad because all the nursing homes are getting infected and SARS2 is spreading rapidly within them. Florida is probably similar, though with so much official
    obfuscation it's harder to tell.

I mean, we never really had the lag time to use. It just messes up how the data is perceived. You take an action, and then you start to see indications in detected cases 1-2 weeks later and then you start to see indications in deaths a week or so after that. Sadly, this also means that deaths are going to keep getting worse, even in the places which have responded to the signals they were getting that they needed to shut down, for at very least 3 more weeks.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Even after it nearly totally shutdown(which these states aren't doing) NYC took a good month to peak.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Apparently Trump is blocking the CDC from testifying to Congress on reopening schools.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/politics/white-house-cdc-house-testimony-schools/index.html

I'm guessing their plan is to just try to cover up the inevitable mass outbreaks? Because schools reopening in a little over a month gives a lot of time to spread disease between then and the election.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Governor Newsom announced that California schools have to use full distance learning unless their counties meet certain criteria. At the moment, two thirds of the counties are falling short, representing the vast majority of the population.

If they meet the criteria, they can have limited in person learning as long as they use six foot distancing and everyone third grade or older wears masks.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I think cover up is both the wrong word, and probably the wrong way to think about the Conservative actions post-Impeachment. They're not trying to cover up any of their transgressions, they will instead deflect by whining and projecting their faults unto others. With regards to the pandemic that means muddying the waters enough so they can claim that "no one" could have possibly done their job better than them

The Trump Administration has decided they will fail to fix the problem, and in true strongman fashion are working to prevent anyone else from fixing the problem and making the GOP look weak

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Governor Newsom announced that California schools have to use full distance learning unless their counties meet certain criteria. At the moment, two thirds of the counties are falling short, representing the vast majority of the population.

If they meet the criteria, they can have limited in person learning as long as they use six foot distancing and everyone third grade or older wears masks.

Those measure will prove especially ineffective inside confined classrooms with low to no airflow.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Those measure will prove especially ineffective inside confined classrooms with low to no airflow.

The guidelines are far more sophisticated than that and provide guidance for using external spaces and supplementing ventilation.

Remember that if a region is in line with the state criteria for cases, then that region has a similar case burden to many European schools which have successfully reopened using spacing and masking guidelines alone.

The virus is transmittable by aerosols, but it is clear that with a low case burden schools can open without putting R through the roof using only masking and spacing.

• Options
    Y'all, reminder to take the discussions to the discussion thread. You can copy and paste.

Hospitals in Arizona are full. Patients are being shipped to other states - for now, while the neighboring states still have available beds. Those are also likely to be filled soon.

We know Mexico is being hit hard, but with a 50+% positivity rate, it's hard to gauge exactly how hard and how many cases and deaths have been uncounted. This might be a hint of it, though: over 200 workers at PEMEX, the state oil company, have already died of COVID-19. Not diagnosed, but died, in that one company, and the number might be higher because less than 1% of the employees had even been tested (and the positivity rate of tests from PEMEX have been even higher than the national rate) so even more may have died but were not recorded from lack of testing. Just the official number though means more deaths than have been recorded in all the US meat packing plants so far. Think about that.

The entire Americas south of Canada are in a bad shape right now.

Spanish mink farms are going through complete culls after the mink and workers on them both became infected with SARS2. This is a repeat of what happened in Dutch mink farms, and it will probably be an early death blow to fur farming in Spain, which was supposed to be phased out by 2024 anyway.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    As India skyrockets past 1 million coronavirus cases, a mystery surrounds death toll
    NEW DELHI — As the coronavirus pandemic accelerates in the world’s second-most populous nation, India has crossed a once-unthinkable threshold: 1 million confirmed cases, joining the United States and Brazil in a club no country wants to enter.

Yet behind the figure lies a paradox. India has arrived at this milestone with about half the number of deaths — 25,000 — as those two countries recorded at the same point in their outbreaks.

India’s comparatively low death rates — both as a percentage of total cases and per million population — are something of a mystery. The Indian government has cited the figures repeatedly to reassure a worried populace, saying such statistics show the country is faring better than many others in the pandemic.

That optimism appears misplaced. Experts say government data on deaths is certain to be incomplete in a country where a large majority of people die in rural areas and without any medical attention, making them less likely to be tested or diagnosed. Already there are numerous signs that coronavirus deaths are being missed or misreported. Testing rates per capita in India remain low.

India is not the only country with a high number of reported cases and relatively low official fatalities. While Russia has more than 750,000 confirmed coronavirus cases, the country has reported about 12,000 deaths, sparking suspicion over counting methods.

It's bad here. It's real bad in India because that is a super large under-count and there will be a lot of dead never counted. This disease will leave a lot of dead in the world outside of the developed nations.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    From today's Daily Press Bulletin:

Nevada has its own OSHA, I assume all states do. Nevada's has started doing followup visits (on schedule, I think) for things like mask compliance, and apparently most places they've visited and followed up are now compliant. I don't believe they follow up if the place was compliant during the first inspection unless they receive a complaint.

On the 4th:
    New Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidance reports that symptoms occur on average 5 to 6 days after exposure. However, the range is anywhere from 2 to 14 days. Another report found that 97.5% of cases reported symptoms 11.5 days after exposure. Given this reporting, on or around Wednesday of this week, any exposure that occurred over the 4th of July weekend that would result in a symptomatic case should be present. It might take a few days to get tested, then a few days to get the result. The State can expect an increase in cases as a result of the July 4th exposures starting at the end of this weekend through next week.

• Options
    As India skyrockets past 1 million coronavirus cases, a mystery surrounds death toll
    NEW DELHI — As the coronavirus pandemic accelerates in the world’s second-most populous nation, India has crossed a once-unthinkable threshold: 1 million confirmed cases, joining the United States and Brazil in a club no country wants to enter.

Yet behind the figure lies a paradox. India has arrived at this milestone with about half the number of deaths — 25,000 — as those two countries recorded at the same point in their outbreaks.

India’s comparatively low death rates — both as a percentage of total cases and per million population — are something of a mystery. The Indian government has cited the figures repeatedly to reassure a worried populace, saying such statistics show the country is faring better than many others in the pandemic.

That optimism appears misplaced. Experts say government data on deaths is certain to be incomplete in a country where a large majority of people die in rural areas and without any medical attention, making them less likely to be tested or diagnosed. Already there are numerous signs that coronavirus deaths are being missed or misreported. Testing rates per capita in India remain low.

India is not the only country with a high number of reported cases and relatively low official fatalities. While Russia has more than 750,000 confirmed coronavirus cases, the country has reported about 12,000 deaths, sparking suspicion over counting methods.

It's bad here. It's real bad in India because that is a super large under-count and there will be a lot of dead never counted. This disease will leave a lot of dead in the world outside of the developed nations.

I mean, theres not really any more mystery about Indias death rate than there was about ours. First, there's an undercount there. Likely not a malicious one, but, many people will not be able to or will not try to seek medical care. Second, the virus is vastly more lethal to old people. Doesn't mean it isn't lethal to young people, but thats just how it works. If your population has like half as many people over 70 as a fraction, the death rate will fall significantly.

• Options
    Correction on my comment about how PEMEX's positivity rate is higher than Mexico's as a whole: because Mexico's positivity rate has risen to 67.1% now. Over two thirds of people tested come back positive. That might be the worst in the world right now - except Bolsonaro's government in Brazil has been suppressing the number of tests done daily for a while now for a combination of not letting people know how little testing might be done and hiding the positivity rate.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Oh Australia, you were doing so well. Now we're back to 400+ new cases a day in my state (Victoria) which is worse than we ever had in the beginning. Also, at least one of the current outbreaks was spread when a security guard at one of the quarantine hotels decided to have sex with one of the guests. Which is, you know, one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever heard of, but hey its 2020, there's a lot of that going around.

• Options
    The second highest positivity rate in the world comes from Bolivia, which has been ranging between 55-62% for more than a week. The official numbers might not seem terrible to our exhausted and jaded selves (54,156 cases, 1,984 deaths) but the same factors apply as elsewhere: massive undertesting (see: positivity rate) and an oppressive authoritarian government. Remember the US-backed right-wing coup last year? The rabid Dominionist leader of that coup who had herself declared president has tested positive for coronavirus along with ministers in her government, which is just a sign of how widespread it is, not a sign that she's going to do a damn thing about it (see: Bolsonaro, Boris Johnson).

So desperate Bolivians have been tricked into drinking bleach. Conspiracy theories, like right-wing ideology, has been internationalized, so of course there have been people pushing the magic chlorine dioxide cures in Bolivia too. At least ten people have been poisoned from it and it's almost certain to get worse because even their Congress is now pushing it, passing a bill for emergency “manufacture, marketing, supply and use of chlorine dioxide solution for the prevention and treatment of coronavirus.”

This has been your second update on how the Western Hemisphere south of Canada is fucked.

• Options
    So desperate Bolivians have been tricked into drinking bleach. Conspiracy theories, like right-wing ideology, has been internationalized, so of course there have been people pushing the magic chlorine dioxide cures in Bolivia too. At least ten people have been poisoned from it and it's almost certain to get worse because even their Congress is now pushing it, passing a bill for emergency “manufacture, marketing, supply and use of chlorine dioxide solution for the prevention and treatment of coronavirus.”

I remember hearing about a bunch of similar things going on in Iran. A rumor went around that drinking ethyl alcohol cured covid, but drinking is illegal there, so people made and sold bootleg alcohol to sell to believers. Except it wasn't bootleg alcohol, it was methyl alcohol with bleach because methyl alcohol is colored there so people know not to drink it, and the bleach covers that. A whole bunch of people drank it and died.

This isn't where I first heard it, but a search pulled this up: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/03/10/44-dead-iran-drinking-toxic-alcohol-fake-coronavirus-cure/5009761002/

I know we want to look for the helpers, but sometimes that is just really hard to do when the terrible is so... terrible.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    The second highest positivity rate in the world comes from Bolivia, which has been ranging between 55-62% for more than a week. The official numbers might not seem terrible to our exhausted and jaded selves (54,156 cases, 1,984 deaths) but the same factors apply as elsewhere: massive undertesting (see: positivity rate) and an oppressive authoritarian government. Remember the US-backed right-wing coup last year? The rabid Dominionist leader of that coup who had herself declared president has tested positive for coronavirus along with ministers in her government, which is just a sign of how widespread it is, not a sign that she's going to do a damn thing about it (see: Bolsonaro, Boris Johnson).

This has been your second update on how the Western Hemisphere south of Canada is fucked.

Wait...what? The right wing crazies push people taking hydroxychloroquine, an actual anti-malaria medicine that doesn't help covid and probably hurts people. Not chlorine dioxide! Where the hell did that come from? Quite literally "just drink bleach"?!?

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Québec update : The amount of new cases are going up again but the positivity rate is stable at arround 1%. Public health asked all people who've been to bars to get tested, which has really increased demand for testing. We went from 5k-6k daily test in early July to 14-15K daily test this past week. Hospitalisations are still going down.

The mask mandate went into effect today. They're now mandatory in all public indoor spaces all accross Québec.

We had a anti-mask protest of a couple hundred people in Beauce, our most right wing region *shaking my head in disgust*

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Wait...what? The right wing crazies push people taking hydroxychloroquine, an actual anti-malaria medicine that doesn't help covid and probably hurts people. Not chlorine dioxide! Where the hell did that come from? Quite literally "just drink bleach"?!?

Trump literally advocated for injecting and/or ingesting disinfectant as a potential solution to COVID. As fucked up as it is, the US President’s “thoughts” are signal boosted to pretty much the entire planet.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Welp.

The White House's demands on the bill include completely eliminating funding for tests or contract tracing, as well as $10B in new funding for the CDC and, apparently, anything to do with coronavirus relief within the military.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I do like how they are using photos of him golfing, instead of one of his pretending to do things photos

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I do like how they are using photos of him golfing, instead of one of his pretending to do things photos

Oh don't worry, he's pretending in that photo, too. Pretending he's an actually good golfer

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

I mean, theres not really any more mystery about Indias death rate than there was about ours. First, there's an undercount there. Likely not a malicious one, but, many people will not be able to or will not try to seek medical care. Second, the virus is vastly more lethal to old people. Doesn't mean it isn't lethal to young people, but thats just how it works. If your population has like half as many people over 70 as a fraction, the death rate will fall significantly.

Discussion for the discussion thread.