[Home Networking] And You

2»

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That's probably about right. A lot depends on which band you're connecting to, what else is being transmitted at the time, the wifi antenna in your device, and a hundred other factors, but 300Mbit is about the theoretical max on the 2.4 band.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    We have Gigabit and a Netgear wifi router (802.11ac)

15 feet from the router, I get 328 Mbps. As long as I get over 100 Mbps, I'm happy that the connection is doing its job.

We have 2 TV's and a bunch of personal devices fighting for the connection.

a5ehren
    16-port unmanaged switch for $40 US. I have one in my basement that I set up as a central connection point while I slowly and strategically run Ethernet. It's rock solid.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AX8XHRQ/

Shadowfire
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Oh hey, we've got a dedicated networking thread these days? Nice.

Got a TP-Link Archer c50 V2 that has some sort of fiddliness going on in its wireless. By which I mean it just sort of stops now and then. Rebooting it makes it start going again, as does going into its management page and toggling the wireless off and on. I haven't attempted getting hard information on the issue but if it isn't random it feels like it may be related to how much wireless traffic is going on, because the times it seems to happen more frequently coincide with times it's getting used more. Just gave it a firmware update to the most recent official offering, figured I'd chuck a post in here for further opinions in case problem persists, as well as opinions on if it's worth trying to fight with or if I should just get something better.

(better in this case likely being one of those fancy mesh systems, got a fair bit of square footage to cover and at least some of the walls are that fun old-timey plaster on a metal mesh stuff)

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Oh hey, we've got a dedicated networking thread these days? Nice.

Got a TP-Link Archer c50 V2 that has some sort of fiddliness going on in its wireless. By which I mean it just sort of stops now and then. Rebooting it makes it start going again, as does going into its management page and toggling the wireless off and on. I haven't attempted getting hard information on the issue but if it isn't random it feels like it may be related to how much wireless traffic is going on, because the times it seems to happen more frequently coincide with times it's getting used more. Just gave it a firmware update to the most recent official offering, figured I'd chuck a post in here for further opinions in case problem persists, as well as opinions on if it's worth trying to fight with or if I should just get something better.

(better in this case likely being one of those fancy mesh systems, got a fair bit of square footage to cover and at least some of the walls are that fun old-timey plaster on a metal mesh stuff)

Oh hi, plaster with chicken wire here. Just go mesh and make your life happier.

Unless you want to cut some holes and run some wires, then you can get a mesh system and give it a wired backhaul! :rotate:

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Eyeballing some mesh stuff since it's slow at work,
    1) the ones I can find port pictures of seem to only have ethernets on the "primary" unit, are there versions where the satellites also have ethernet? We've got wire run to a few corners of the house so may as well have the wifi points hardwired if possible.
    2) is the internet/ethernet labeling on said ports a renaming of WAN/LAN so you've got to fuck around with that stuff or just poor labeling?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Eyeballing some mesh stuff since it's slow at work,
    1) the ones I can find port pictures of seem to only have ethernets on the "primary" unit, are there versions where the satellites also have ethernet? We've got wire run to a few corners of the house so may as well have the wifi points hardwired if possible.
    2) is the internet/ethernet labeling on said ports a renaming of WAN/LAN so you've got to fuck around with that stuff or just poor labeling?

1) Eero. Eeeeeeeeeroooooo.

2) Every Eero unit has two auto sensing ports. Others have separate internet and Ethernet ports I think, though I can't remember for sure with Velop. The orbi you can just plug the cable into an Ethernet port on one of the satellites to do a wired backhaul. Set up the units wirelessly first, then after the firmware updates are done reboot the unit and plug in the Ethernet. The backhaul will fire right up.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    So I need a home router w/ wifi that can hold about 12 connections without shitting itself. I was looking at the UBNT Dream Machine as a solution that would also let me do things like setup guest vlans and even a radius server if I wanted to play with 8021x. Looking at the Google though there seems to be some conflicting information on 8021x support on the Dream Machine.

Does networking thread have any other recommendations or just snag the DM?

Hmm, supposed delivery date for a mesh whatsit and I haven't seen a shipping notification yet. I think I might cancel this order and just snag something in-store. My choice looks to be between the tplink deco s4 and the dual-band Linksys velops. Google suggests that either can do wired backhaul, are there any glaring issues to be aware of that are tricky to dig up on a phone browser?

For some reason I thought Eero had a wired backhaul too. I haven't dug into it though.

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    edited September 15
    So I need a home router w/ wifi that can hold about 12 connections without shitting itself. I was looking at the UBNT Dream Machine as a solution that would also let me do things like setup guest vlans and even a radius server if I wanted to play with 8021x. Looking at the Google though there seems to be some conflicting information on 8021x support on the Dream Machine.

I've got a Dream Machine Pro and a bunch of APs but I think they support 8021x. Their website lists 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ac-wave2 as supported for the Dream Machine.

Cirira on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Cirira wrote: »

I've got a Dream Machine Pro and a bunch of APs but I think they support 8021x. Their website lists 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ac-wave2 as supported for the Dream Machine.

Oh nice! how's the fan noise? And thank you for the insight. It looks like a recent upgrade to the DM did enable 8021x auth w/ RADIUS and it just took me forever to find it.

The pro is a little overkill for my 700sqft apartment, but it would be pretty sweet if i could find some place to hide 6U worth of hardware.

Mugsley wrote: »
    For some reason I thought Eero had a wired backhaul too. I haven't dug into it though.

All versions of the Eero support wired backhaul (aside from the old beacons, obviously).

Velop is trash.

My comment regarding choice was more about what was physically in stock in a store to walk out the door with than a commentary on what can do wired backhaul. The eero is what I have an order placed for, but its delivery estimate is today and thus far I haven't even gotten a shipping notification on it so I said the heck with it.

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular

Oh nice! how's the fan noise? And thank you for the insight. It looks like a recent upgrade to the DM did enable 8021x auth w/ RADIUS and it just took me forever to find it.

The pro is a little overkill for my 700sqft apartment, but it would be pretty sweet if i could find some place to hide 6U worth of hardware.

I live in a giant house (3600 sq feet) so my network equipment is all stocked away in the utility room (with the furnace and hot water heaters). All of the network drops already ran there so it became the default location.

I can hear the fans a little when I go into that room, but there is so much other noise from the furnace and hot water heater that I honestly don't notice it that much. I'd say it would be fine anywhere? I've got a 24 port switch, a Synology NAS, some Raspberry Pis, the Dream Machine Pro, and a few other appliances (Hue Bridge, a Bridge for our HVAC) in there and don't notice the noise from it all in my office (shares the wall with it and that room has a louvered door).

Bendery It Like Beckham
    House is meshed up! Went with the decos. Setup went smoothly, though I find it dumb that the initial setup doesn't let you specify that you want AP mode, gotta set it up as a router and then afterwards switch it over.

Shadowfire
  • FremFrem Registered User regular

The Dream Machine is almost entirely silent, save for the chime it likes to play on startup. I only hear the fan if I put my head close to it. I was more bothered by the extremely bright LED ring. Both the chime and the LED ring can be disabled in settings.