Options

PC Games - Street Power Football and No Straight Roads out today!

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I like achievements because it sometimes gives some insight into the complexity and longevity of a game.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hey, can someone whose played Evil Within 2 let me know how much backtracking there is?

I left the first downtown zone with not like, significant quest stuff missing or anything, but definitely with the assumption that I'd be back to, I dunno, fully comb through some buildings I hadn't done that with yet

But now I've done City Hall and most of the Business District (plus all the Marrow locations that are a part of that process), and I'm just wondering if that's actually true

Alternately, I guess, if I'm not going to be headed back to the same zones by the strictures of the game, should I be doing it voluntarily? I don't relish the prospect of going back through some of those Marrow passages, but would it be worth it for me to go back to the first zone now that I have like, a bigger gun and better stealth killin' capabilities?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    i don't mind achievements as a concept but i loathe that they've turned into "did you complete this chapter of the game"

Like...most games are actively trying to get you to complete them! It's not an achievement!

If it's for something cool or sideways a secret, I'm down for it. But "tutorial completed" ain't it.

I like those sorts of achievements for the reason I stated above with seeing how far most other people get. A fun game is take any Souls game then looks at what bosses significant chunks of the player base fell off at are

Yes. I'm playing Persona 5 Royal, and the completion percentage on endgame achievements is shockingly high. The ending achievement is nearly 40%. But that makes sense since it's a re-release with a lot of players being huge fans of the original game. Even though it's 100+ hours.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hey, can someone whose played Evil Within 2 let me know how much backtracking there is?

I left the first downtown zone with not like, significant quest stuff missing or anything, but definitely with the assumption that I'd be back to, I dunno, fully comb through some buildings I hadn't done that with yet

But now I've done City Hall and most of the Business District (plus all the Marrow locations that are a part of that process), and I'm just wondering if that's actually true

Alternately, I guess, if I'm not going to be headed back to the same zones by the strictures of the game, should I be doing it voluntarily? I don't relish the prospect of going back through some of those Marrow passages, but would it be worth it for me to go back to the first zone now that I have like, a bigger gun and better stealth killin' capabilities?

To the best of my recollection, the game nearly never forces you to backtrack. You can if you want, but the game is generous enough with ammo/pickups that there is little reason to.

That said, there's a VERY funny easter egg if you undertake a huge, pain-in-the-ass backtrack WAY late in the game, but it's probably better to just look it up on YouTube

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh I think I know about the easter egg you're talking about, that video is at least part of the reason I bought the game

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    It is very good/silly

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I have not 100%ed a single game since I turned 30

I only have a couple, and only if you allow me to discount multiplayer cheevos. At no point in my life would I have bothered with farming them.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I think I have enough time now that I can get the Stanley Parable “don’t play the game for 5 years” achievement without cheating.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'll have games where I want to do every side quest or get all the top gear or something

But I just don't engage with cheevos at all, don't try to get them, don't bother check them, just not something that interests me.

• Options
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I think I have enough time now that I can get the Stanley Parable “don’t play the game for 5 years” achievement without cheating.

...shit I bet I could do this too, I forgot all about that

I don't think I got many other achievements for that one though, I only played it like for half an hour

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I dislike when I have all the achievements in a game and then some DLC adds some bullshit. Like the multiplayer DLC achievements for Doom 2016 or half the Borderlands 1 DLC.

From what I understand, Playstation's platinum trophies are specifically for getting all the launch date achievements, which seems like a good system.

Peewi on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I appreciate when chapter complete cheevos have a little joke in the name

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Achievements don't mean anything to me unless they are a part of a game I really like. They can work as an excuse to spend more time with it. Like, I've 100%ed all the Darks Soul games just for that reason. When Dark Souls Remastered came out I wanted to play it a lot so I got all the cheevs again even though I got them all in the original PC version... which I did even having already gotten them all in the 360 version I played initially.

Crosscode is my favorite game so the third playthrough I did after the big accessibility patch I decided to get the last few I had left. I love Crosscode so much I was willing to guard 4000 times and find every single trader as an excuse to play it longer, and because I was doing them in Crosscode they didn't feel as grindy to me as they would in other games.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I appreciate when chapter complete cheevos have a little joke in the name

Assassin's Creed 3
    after you get the reveal early on that you spent the chapter playing as a Templar and not an Assassin, the chapter end achievement is called "How Do You Like Them Apples?" and it's so stupid and I still giggle every time

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    God please more bugs, like a Far Cry game but instead of human arrowfodder it's all bugpersons on Venus and you are also a bugperson enough with the humans lord always with the humans

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I have not 100%ed a single game since I turned 30
    The ravages of time are tragic

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I know it's unlikely, but I really hope you get to deploy the bear.
    At least a little.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I like the cheevos for paradox game because it's usually a stupid pun or doing something hard/easy/silly for no real reason

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

Listen, this shit has been farmed out to so many teams with so little direction, we aren't sure of much in this world OTHER than bugs can be real big and you can shoot em good.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I like the cheevos for paradox game because it's usually a stupid pun or doing something hard/easy/silly for no real reason

Paradox sim achieves have an almost "Lets game it out" level of pushing you to murder your patrons in elaborate ways

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    The only valid achievement is "The part where he kills you" in Portal 2

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    The only valid achievement is "The part where he kills you" in Portal 2

I will always be amused and embarrassed that I got the party position cheevo in portal because I legit thought the game was over and glados was just gonna roast me and there was nothing to be done.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    There is one other valid achievement, in Wolfenstein The New Colossus
    the achievement you get when you try to kill Hitler on Mars

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My proudest achievement achievement is getting Flight Slingulator in Civ VI, which requires you to airlift a level 3 slinger from one of your cities to another.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Played a little grounded.

Boy this sure is a survival game. If you like them, good news, it’s an interesting fun setting.

If you don’t well, you already know to avoid it.

There’s an option to turn down the spiders, a slider that makes them progressively less spider like, which is a nice touch.

Because even with 0 arachnophobia, oh boy did I jump a mile when I first encountered some spiders.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Wasn't there already one game like this with a similar title

It's based on a board game called Scythe: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169786/scythe

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Achievements are nice enough as a way to look back and remember things you did in the game. Otherwise, I don't really care. We always joke around with one of our friends, since he likes to start games but not really finish them, that we'll eventually catch up to his count.

Weirdly I care less about them on consoles. Maybe due to PC as my primary way of playing with friends, something to talk about. On the PS4, I don't think I've ever looked at the achievements.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I can remember really like exactly one achievement, and it's The Part Where He Kills You from Portal 2 because the layer of the achievement popping up along with the dialogue and chapter title made the joke.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i liked the stanley parable achievements

those were some real good jokes

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I saw someone playing Grounded. Whatever camera effects they put on it looked nice.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    LFG for grounded on Gamepass for PC. I mean, so far I haven't found a single game to join but I dunno what's up with that, maybe a lack of friends playing it.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    There’s an option to turn down the spiders, a slider that makes them progressively less spider like, which is a nice touch.
    I'm trying to imagine what this looks like, without looking it up.

Step 0: It's just a spider.
    Step 1: It's a spider, but with an apple pie texture applied to it.
    Step 2: It's a spider but with six legs. And an apple pie texture applied to it.
    Step 3: It's a spider, four legs, apple pie texture, nice glass of cool milk hovers a few inches away at all times.
    Step 4: It's an apple pie, but with spider legs. Glass of milk is present.
    Step 5: It's an apple pie, glass of milk, there's a cozy fire crackling in the fireplace and you're sitting on the couch - feet pulled up - with a blanket tucked up just under your arms. The wind is howling outside, carelessly tossing snow past the window. The room is just the right amount of chilly, the blanket and the fire keeping you perfectly balanced on the edge between too-warm and I-ain't-ever-getting-up-warm. A little bit of steam is still lifting off that apple pie; you should probably eat it soon.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    played Grounded for awhile, Wolf Spiders are absolute motherfuckers and they throw them at you pretty early on

Set up a nice little shack, with a dew drop collector and a mushroom farm by the time I was done

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

it's always really weird and frankly a little embarrassing when they present RTS games from a human perspective

you're gonna spend the whole game zoomed a half mile out sending nameless schmucks to their death so here's a little movie you get to watch in the barest nod to acknowledging what's actually happening

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So there's a game going into EA tomorrow called Banners of Ruin. I know nothing about it except it described itself as Slay the Spire meets Darkest Dungeon, and the characters look like something out of Redwall and I am here for that.
    ss_0ebdd77a3ceed055bec3d7747850dd8c6d8de94d.jpg?t=1596035993

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Shorty wrote: »

it's always really weird and frankly a little embarrassing when they present RTS games from a human perspective

you're gonna spend the whole game zoomed a half mile out sending nameless schmucks to their death so here's a little movie you get to watch in the barest nod to acknowledging what's actually happening

Something I’ve always wanted in an RTS is the addition of a decent real-time first-person perspective camera from the units on the ground. So you can be commanding the map and have a little window in the corner seeing what’s actually going on down there during skirmishes from the various units’ point of view.

I think I remember some game doing this a while back, but I don’t recall it being very good.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sacrifice and brutal legend both tried to show you the ground-level perspective but since you're still playing as a general it winds up not mattering that much

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I loved Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 having the Possession spell, which let you take first-person control of whatever unit you targeted. The creatures in the game varied quite a bit, and possessing different ones would change your perspective (low to the ground for the tiny Imps, high up for the tall dragons), give you access to unusual movement modes (really just flight, I guess), access to the creature's unique attacks, sometime change the visuals with a filter or something (I seem to recall possessing the flies in DK2 making it look like you're looking through a compound eye). It wasn't fleshed out to the point of "Oh I'm playing an FPS now", but you certainly could possess an Imp (the worker units) and run out into unclaimed territory to tag tiles for your side, or dig out areas/mine gold in a more directed way (since ordinarily you have no direct control over units), or possess a scout-type unit to explore, or a bruiser to go attack the enemy in a coordinated way. If I remember correctly, in one of the games you could possess one unit and tag a bunch of others to follow you, so you could direct a raiding party yourself.

I dunno that it had a ton of strategic value, ultimately, but I loved the feeling of running through the dungeon that I had architected. Something about that change of perspective made it more "real", more authentic.

This discussion has been closed.