As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I've been wanting to play the Raidou games for some time, which is why I bought the reprints from VGP. But the games go for like $100-200 now even for the reprints - well I guess I'm just never opening them then

Or... you could just enjoy the games you bought? They're not meant to sit sealed forever.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Make me.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Make me.

Well, if you wind up not liking them, which I highly doubt, they're still very valuable even opened. Sealed, they're just gathering dust.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm really in no rush.
    bft1y1gakze51.jpg

• Options
    I'm really in no rush.
    bft1y1gakze51.jpg

Raidou is a jump to first place type of game.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Make me.

Since you still seem on the fence, here's some further ammunition.

Best fusionist:
    3sp45mr0kbcl.png

Best rival summoner:
    2094wr5q4xgq.png

Best boss:
    sva33hqsui0p.png

Best battle theme:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kfjqM7UqbA
    (and Kaneko still in his prime)

Raidou has a very cozy atmosphere that immediately draws you in, since it takes place in a very unique time and place, mostly within one district.

(I'm replaying Raidou 2, so I may be a bit biased, but I always feel like these games are grossly underrated, since even when 2 came out, people just picked it up for the plushie and barely touched the actual game.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Make me.

Best fusionist:
    3sp45mr0kbcl.png

Best rival summoner:
    2094wr5q4xgq.png

Best boss:
    sva33hqsui0p.png

Best battle theme:

Raidou has a very cozy atmosphere that immediately draws you in, since it takes place in a very unique time and place, mostly within one district.

(I'm replaying Raidou 2, so I may be a bit biased, but I always feel like these games are grossly underrated, since even when 2 came out, people just picked it up for the plushie and barely touched the actual game.)

Raidou 2 plays much better IMO.

Both are fun, though suffer a bit from being older (encounter rate's a bit high and gameplay is a bit simple)

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Make me.

Best fusionist:
    3sp45mr0kbcl.png

Best rival summoner:
    2094wr5q4xgq.png

Best boss:
    sva33hqsui0p.png

Best battle theme:

Both are fun, though suffer a bit from being older (encounter rate's a bit high and gameplay is a bit simple)

Gameplay wise, yes, but 1 has the better plot. And 2 isn't as good without the base of 1.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Raidou reminds me of shadow hearts in tone/style and now I'm really sad I missed out on that one (also now I'm sad about the rights to shadow hearts for the millionth time)

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Make me.

Best fusionist:
    3sp45mr0kbcl.png

Best rival summoner:
    2094wr5q4xgq.png

Best boss:
    sva33hqsui0p.png

Best battle theme:

Gameplay wise, yes, but 1 has the better plot. And 2 isn't as good without the base of 1.

Yea. You need 1 to play 2. I liked them both.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Huh. You know, I was fine with Atlus cutting Dante in favour of Raidou. I'm not sure I'm all that fine with them cutting Dante to then sell him back to us again.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm curious what they're going to do with the actual characters. Dante had a bit of a problem, in that once you got him, you couldn't dismiss him from the party. He's a fine character... except he didn't have Pierce. So he's kind of a lame duck if you're going for the True Demon Ending. Raidou is mechanically more or less the same character with the same skills, just renamed. But they fixed that issue and gave him Pierce. So I wonder if they split the characters up further, can you dismiss/swap them or are you stuck with both, and does Dante have Pierce?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Huh. You know, I was fine with Atlus cutting Dante in favour of Raidou. I'm not sure I'm all that fine with them cutting Dante to then sell him back to us again.

Not just Dante, but "Maniac Pack." It probably includes the expansion that we got baked into the original release in the west.

Stuff like the... dungeon where you fell down a hole and grabbed coins while you fell? Wasn't that part of the expansion?

But having said that, either way, Capcom probably wanted their pound of flesh to re-include Dante, so that's probably what the DLC pack pays for.

Edit: From the SMT wiki
    Atlus Co, Ltd. eventually announced a second version of Nocturne, a "Director's Cut" entitled (真・女神転生III-NOCTURNE マニアクス, Shin Megami Tensei III NOCTURNE Maniakusu)?, aka: Maniax, which featured a number of new additions and adjustments. This version was used for the North American release, as well as the PAL version which was titled Shin Megami Tensei III: Lucifer's Call. The Maniax release featured Dante from the Capcom Devil May Cry series as an optional companion and story arc.
    Maniax
    • A new opening movie.
    • The addition of the Labyrinth of Amala and, hence, the addition of the Fiends.
    • A new "true demon" ending.
    • A bonus for keeping your first demon party member (Pixie).
    • Devil May Cry 2's Dante: you fight him, and you can have him in your party if certain conditions are met.
    • The option of allowing several previously infusible bosses to join your party.
    • The option to fight and later enlist the help of Beelzebub and Metatron.
    • Pierce was added as a new skill.
    • General game balance adjustments (lowered ambush attacks, lower instant death rates, etc.)
    • Selectable difficulty level from the on-set (Normal or Hard)
    • Elimination of the Debug Mode.

KiTA on
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I'm happy to see Dante back, though I bit disappointed that he's based on DMC2 Dante, aka the dullest Dante. I hope they call in Reuben Langdon to give him some much needed personality.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    KiTA wrote: »

Not just Dante, but "Maniac Pack." It probably includes the expansion that we got baked into the original release in the west.

Stuff like the... dungeon where you fell down a hole and grabbed coins while you fell? Wasn't that part of the expansion?

But having said that, either way, Capcom probably wanted their pound of flesh to re-include Dante, so that's probably what the DLC pack pays for.

Edit: From the SMT wiki
    Atlus Co, Ltd. eventually announced a second version of Nocturne, a "Director's Cut" entitled (真・女神転生III-NOCTURNE マニアクス, Shin Megami Tensei III NOCTURNE Maniakusu)?, aka: Maniax, which featured a number of new additions and adjustments. This version was used for the North American release, as well as the PAL version which was titled Shin Megami Tensei III: Lucifer's Call. The Maniax release featured Dante from the Capcom Devil May Cry series as an optional companion and story arc.
    Maniax
    • A new opening movie.
    • The addition of the Labyrinth of Amala and, hence, the addition of the Fiends.
    • A new "true demon" ending.
    • A bonus for keeping your first demon party member (Pixie).
    • Devil May Cry 2's Dante: you fight him, and you can have him in your party if certain conditions are met.
    • The option of allowing several previously infusible bosses to join your party.
    • The option to fight and later enlist the help of Beelzebub and Metatron.
    • Pierce was added as a new skill.
    • General game balance adjustments (lowered ambush attacks, lower instant death rates, etc.)
    • Selectable difficulty level from the on-set (Normal or Hard)
    • Elimination of the Debug Mode.

I'm pretty sure all that was included with the Chronicles version too, since to recruit Raidou, you need to go into the Amala Labyrinth, and that's the only version with the Lucifer fight. Also, I believe Dante has Pierce now, they said it's included with Son's Oath.

Dante's appearance in Nocturne isn't that bad at all, he has his badass DMC2 appearance with his personality from DMC1, best of both worlds.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    If he has Pierce, that immediately makes him 100% more useful.

But, if you're still unable to fuse or get rid of him, he's still a wasted slot IMO.

• Options
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Great, 16 hours in SMTIV lost. Thanks, corrupt memory card! I'm of half a mind just to skip to Apocalypse, that Mikado section at the start is such a slog.

E: But it saves the dumb picture I took of my little brother for FaceRaiders 8 years ago :D

Hakunin on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, I thought I had experienced all possible types of "goddammit, Japan," but (Persona 4 Dancing spoilers)
    the idol group that introduced themselves as different kinds of food and asked you to consume them

managed to get to me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, I thought I had experienced all possible types of "goddammit, Japan," but (Persona 4 Dancing spoilers)
    the idol group that introduced themselves as different kinds of food and asked you to consume them

managed to get to me.

Wait til you see the walking caricature that is the dance instructor.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    This is why P3Dan and P5Dan are both better games.

No shit story AND better music!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

Okay, I was wondering. P4Dan seems like an okay dancing game welded to a visual novel that goes on waaaaaaaaaay too long.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Okay, I was wondering. P4Dan seems like an okay dancing game welded to a visual novel that goes on waaaaaaaaaay too long.
    P3 and P5 dancing have social scenes where characters have conversations but they're not usually too long and they're just there to unlock costumes and accessories.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

P3 and P5 dancing have social scenes where characters have conversations but they're not usually too long and they're just there to unlock costumes and accessories.

Praise Jeebus, because I'm two songs into the section with the third, new main character and it's sapping my will to live. After dancing away monsters and trying to get to the bottom of the mysterious tormentor in an alternate world I've now endured over an hour of zero-stakes angst and chatting with characters and doing nothing to advance the plot and randomly dancing to two terrible songs and kill me now. And I'm usually a sucker for story!

• Options
    Catherine FB is out on Switch, and the online actually works!
    (I forget if we talk about it here or not, last thread I could find was from 2012, yeesh.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edvE_ohsH6k

2nd PV, spoiler city. Has Aradia, Trumpeter, Gotou, the works.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDjFZPYU6I&start=1330

Gameplay footage of the complete intro, Hell Biker, and some other stuff. Kagutsuchi sounds appropriately creepy.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Good news: I'm finally at Lucifer's doorstep in Raidou 2.

Bad news: he's not the true penultimate boss, it's this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbe6zkg4UgI

And I can only fight him on Neutral. Ah well.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Only took me a few years, lol.

eoupemhidiym.png

He really isn't that bad at all, just gimmicky.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, P5 Scramble wasn't mentioned in their latest financial results, so there's question of whether it is still coming out this fiscal year.

Killing me.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    GIVE US SCRAMBLE YOU COWARDS.

I legit more hyped for that than I am for SMT5.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Meanwhile, P5 Scramble wasn't mentioned in their latest financial results, so there's question of whether it is still coming out this fiscal year.

Killing me.

The financial results in question were Tecmo's, not Atlus so... YMMV there.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I'm in the opposite camp. SMTV finally getting a release announcement killed my interest in P5 and P5S by extension (said interest was mainly driven by the lack of a new mainline SMT entry), and Age of Calamity is going to be my musou fix. And much like the Disgaea series I can't really play musou games back-to-back, so in the event that I had an itch to play P5S it was going to have to wait anyway.

I ended up buying TMS#FE Encore earlier this year to scratch that SMT itch and enjoyed it knowing full well what I was getting into. My only real disappointments were the lack of Press Turn and no fusion since Unity lacks the fusion chain shenanigans you can do (though DDS lacked that as well).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ^I was trying to find where I posted that, lol, it was DemonStacey.

SMT V is priority one for me, no doubt. Obviously Atlus USA had to put all their effort into Nocturne HD, as well they should've. :lol:

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Of all the supernatural players in Nocturne, I probably like Aradia best. It's a shame she, or a being like her, didn't make a reappearance in other SMT titles.
    A powerless outsider god whose existence is forbidden yet strives to become real anyway is an appealing idea. But because Aradia's story in Nocturne isn't about Aradia, that idea didn't get explored much.

• Options

Of all the supernatural players in Nocturne, I probably like Aradia best. It's a shame she, or a being like her, didn't make a reappearance in other SMT titles.
    A powerless outsider god whose existence is forbidden yet strives to become real anyway is an appealing idea. But because Aradia's story in Nocturne isn't about Aradia, that idea didn't get explored much.

You'd think they would have added a genuine Aradia route for Yuko's reason, which would have been amazing. Her flashback in the Amala is one of my favorite ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4WCbIrrAY

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »

I'm in the opposite camp. SMTV finally getting a release announcement killed my interest in P5 and P5S by extension (said interest was mainly driven by the lack of a new mainline SMT entry), and Age of Calamity is going to be my musou fix. And much like the Disgaea series I can't really play musou games back-to-back, so in the event that I had an itch to play P5S it was going to have to wait anyway.

I ended up buying TMS#FE Encore earlier this year to scratch that SMT itch and enjoyed it knowing full well what I was getting into. My only real disappointments were the lack of Press Turn and no fusion since Unity lacks the fusion chain shenanigans you can do (though DDS lacked that as well).

Oh for sure. I think that's the more normal feeling. Thus I was pointing out the sort of oddness to how excited I am for it.

And I totally get you on the musuo front. I haven't actually played through on in like... close to ten years so I'm good there. And Age of Calamity looks awesome but direct prequels are a thing I just can not get into so it's all Scramble for me!

• Options

You'd think they would have added a genuine Aradia route for Yuko's reason, which would have been amazing. Her flashback in the Amala is one of my favorite ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4WCbIrrAY

I don't really disagree, but the whole point of Yuko's arc is that
    she keeps looking to others to give her a purpose in life, first to Hikawa who just uses her, then to Aradia who can't help her. The others all develop a Reason on their own, Yuko wants her God to give one to her. And so Yuko doesn't get her own Reason because it doesn't work that way.

Then again I suppose it could be argued that the Freedom ending is the Aradia path.

This discussion has been closed.