As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the empty arena wrestling thread

19495969798100»

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Do not approve of this guy's tagging etiquette but y'know

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    "the racial thing"

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Fuck Dave Meltzer.

Digging in further, apparently Brandi responded to someone calling them a "dog" and then deactivated her account. I have not found actual screens of this happening, it's merely been repeated a few times. Also apparently people were telling Cody to "put his dog on a leash" and then of course the usual ape and monkey racist shit. Again, have not seen screens or anything of this, was just repeated often.

Folks seem to be split on whether she was being cyber-bullied or not. I sit here and read all this shit and I can't honestly tell you where I fall on it. I also can't decide if the comparisons and allusions to Hana are really fucking gross or a good fucking point.

I think I now understand what she was trying to say about Heels, but I still think Heels is pretty fucking amorphous and unclear. She was saying that Heels was for wrestling fans who were women, and that Heels wasn't specifically for women's wrestling fans. I don't think she was trying to dog their women's division, just trying to explain the product wasn't targeted at their women's division.

Which kinda makes sense but also then begs more questions about what the fuck Heels was when it seems like thus far it was just paid access to the women in AEW? Most of which are going to be female wrestlers?

It just looks and feels like something Brandi thought of doing for female fans of wrestling in general, a bunch of other hands got into the idea, and then it looked like shit.

I also still keep seeing tweets accusing her of not doing more as an executive, and I'd like to point out to them that she's flatly said she's not an executive but hey the tweet where she said as much is gone now.

Also listened to her interview on Vickie Guerrero's podcast and even though the interview was kayfabe, they seemed to be really pounding on getting the view count high on the tournament and it's hard to not look at that like this is an experiment to see if women draw ratings or not.

Personally, while I'm definitely just one dude and not a crowd of people, women's wrestling was what got me back into wrestling. I randomly stumbled into Sasha Banks and Charlotte Flair at Hell in a Cell and was just astonished with how fucking good they were. I am barely interested at all, outside of Orange Cassidy matches, in watching dudes wrestle. We could go into the reasons why, but ultimately, it's because I'm fascinated with the rise of women's wrestling and how good the female talent throughout wrestling is. They're the underdogs in the biz and I like rooting for them. That's what's drawn me back in.

But I find myself watching Dark and skipping an awful lot of shit so I can just watch the one women's match, and The Initiative, and move on. I've watched the first round of the tag tournament maybe 3 times now.

Again, I'm just one guy, but the less you put women on your show, the less I watch it, is the point. I'll fucking watch RISE all goddamn day erreday, and get frustrated that their matches are still so much better than what I've generally seen on AEW.

And I still wanna know why Kylie Rae didn't stick around because goddammit that was a huge loss.

TL;DR AEW women's wrestling is a fucking mess and it's seriously depressing the more you dig into why.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    She probably got a bunch of harassment from people, but the problem is conflating that with the good faith critiques. Heels seems like a half baked concept, but does acknowledge that there is a large, toxic part of their fan base. But the problem is it puts a monetary burden on women to avoid it instead of doing something about shitty fans.

Brandi doesn't deserve any of the hate, but she and AEW's management deserve critique about how the womens division is presented. Invoking Hana's name is bad because its consistently done incorrectly. Being held accountable for something you said or did isn't bullying.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    She probably got a bunch of harassment from people, but the problem is conflating that with the good faith critiques. Heels seems like a half baked concept, but does acknowledge that there is a large, toxic part of their fan base. But the problem is it puts a monetary burden on women to avoid it instead of doing something about shitty fans.

Brandi doesn't deserve any of the hate, but she and AEW's management deserve critique about how the womens division is presented. Invoking Hana's name is bad because its consistently done incorrectly. Being held accountable for something you said or did isn't bullying.

I think the problem is that when you're in Brandi's position, and it's coming at you from all sides, the signal-to-noise ratio gets to the point where you can't distinguish between the good-faith criticisms and the racist idiots. Honestly, AEW's social media team (which I assume they have) should have stepped in a whole lot earlier.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »

I think the problem is that when you're in Brandi's position, and it's coming at you from all sides, the signal-to-noise ratio gets to the point where you can't distinguish between the good-faith criticisms and the racist idiots. Honestly, AEW's social media team (which I assume they have) should have stepped in a whole lot earlier.

I don't think they do. Thus far it seems like whenever someone in AEW is fucking up the message, Brandi's been cleaning it up.

Twitch: Thawmus83
This discussion has been closed.